IGNORED

The Barnsley v Bristol City Match Day Thread 39

havanatopia

17 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

and back again to relegation form, sadly.

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

zero wins in 11 away games.  You can make stats look how you want 

OK, here's some stats.  In the last five games home and away we have 8 points.

Brentford, in 11th, have amassed less points.

The bottom 8 teams have amassed less points.  It simply isn't true that we are in relegation form.

But, off you go, and find your scapegoat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Means naff all sorry. We beat Man Utd doesn’t mean we’d finish 2nd in the prem.

We lost to Bolton doesn’t mean we are relegation bound. 

Good sides got to Burton and Barnsley etc at this stage of the season  and take the points 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Super said:

Why do people think we just have to turn up to beat teams? Barnsley are desperate for points never going to be an easy game. 

We didn't turn up today, we got very lucky indeed.

I think what people are missing is that LJ as a manager has great runs of results followed by poor runs of results and they tend to occur for months at a time.

Somebody wisely said in an earlier post that if the poor results were more evenly spread people would not be so concerned and that is possibly true but they are not and it is a worrying trait from the whole of his managerial career.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Please , please , please , for pity's sake , of course we would but we were second at one stage and have been in the top six for most of the season but are you saying that we should all be happy as we slowly sink down the League ?

Unless something changes dramatically , which it must , we will struggle next season.

I watched a horse race today

A horse rated at 90 was out in front after a mile , he tired toward the end and 5 horses all passed him and they were all higher rated horses .  At the start of the race the 90 rated horse was 7th in the betting so overall his trainer said he did well and he knew he wasn’t quite good enough to be able to keep the pace 

if we finish 7th or 8th that will be a good season and it’s looking like the clubs above us are bigger clubs that pay bigger wages etc and we will also finish above bigger clubs so we have over achieved this season.  I don’t care if we were 2nd at some point it doesn’t mean a thing 

1 minute ago, Chivs said:

The bottom 8 teams have amassed less points.  It simply isn't true that we are in relegation form.

What scapegoat? Dunno what you are on about

Just waiting to get out of the car park at Oakwell.

Once again, City failed to handle a big journeyman striker, with Kiefer Moore tormenting the back line for both goals and in general play

We're not showing any form and relying on others to stay in the hunt.

Poor again in the final third and got outmuscled once again, demonstrated by Djuric winning few headers.

City must beat Brentford on Monday, but need a huge improvement and braver players to carry that off.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Derby , Millwall and the mighty Burton don’t seem to have had that problem in recent weeks at Oakwell 

haha what simple logic...you do realise every pundit will tell you this is the most unpredictable league probably in Europe. Anyone on their day can beat anyone else and over the course of a season millwall, burton and derby will have had shocking results where we have excelked

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You were bugging up LJ for turning us from relegation candidates to promotion candidates

Simply pointing out - the same coach who had us as relegation candidates 12 months ago by your own words

Since LJ has been here, he comfortably staved off relegation in his first season, marginally improved our league position in his second - albeit with a very poor run in the middle - and now has us challenging for play offs. His win % is better than any manager in our history, other than those who have benefitted from periods in the easier third tier. Quite clearly he is in credit overall.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

My point is we are one point off playoffs still fighting hard with a winnable game on Monday...most exciting season in years with some  quality on the pitch...it’s not perfect but you as well as many others on here would have taken 7th on goal difference at this point of the season.

FFS I bet Millwall fans are buzzing thinking they are still in this race we are a point further ahead of them and it is doom and gloom on here

Winnable game on Monday? Brentford are 11 points and 10 places above Barnsley and Barnsley had 31 shots at our goal , 8 on target to our 2 .
As for Millwall , in December they were 15 points behind us, if we had gained almost a point a game on the team in 3rd place (as they have to us ) I would be buzzing too.
From Dec 4th , we had 37 points from 20 games , currently we have 62 from 39. That works out to 25 points from 19 games, slightly better than a point a game.  To be honest , yes we will have our best finish for years and a year on improvement, but can't help but think that not only will this season have been a waste, but I struggle to be optimistic for next year.

Just now, tinman85 said:

Smell the coffee everyone. Our results have been unacceptable since Reading at home. Drawing with Burton and Barnsley? Please. It's not good enough. Look at Cardiff and look at us since then. But let's all be happy and dare not criticise the management. 

Criticism is fine. Your relentless negativity and inability to offer any sort of perspective or recognition of our overall progress is the problem.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Last five: W2 D2 L1.

How is that relegation form?

You may want to respond to somebody who said it was. My point is that people's view is influenced by the distribution of results, or perhaps performances, over longer periods, which looks uneven.

Leaving aside those who are perpetually angry, or simply dislike LJ and want him to fail, much of the anger on here comes from disappointment when the highs become lows. When people calm down a more balanced view tends to emerge.

30 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Got to agree with you. A draw or a win today cannot hide how inconsistent and at the poor end of the scale this team are at present. We will get better but I don't know what it'll take to do that - although I do believe LJ and co are the right people to do it.

We aren't good enough to go up based in this form though and don't deserve to make the playoffs.

and yet virtually the same team beat four premiership sides and was second in the league in the run up to Christmas, potentially we are more than good enough for the play offs, we have been vv good and vv bad no reason we can't be good again let's hope so.

Just now, 1960maaan said:

Winnable game on Monday? Brentford are 11 points and 10 places above Barnsley and Barnsley had 31 shots at our goal , 8 on target to our 2 .
As for Millwall , in December they were 15 points behind us, if we had gained almost a point a game on the team in 3rd place (as they have to us ) I would be buzzing too.
From Dec 4th , we had 37 points from 20 games , currently we have 62 from 39. That works out to 25 points from 19 games, slightly better than a point a game.  To be honest , yes we will have our best finish for years and a year on improvement, but can't help but think that not only will this season have been a waste, but I struggle to be optimistic for next year.

Next season a different story and I share your pessimism if we do no go up and lose the spine of our team in Flint, smith, Bryan etc.

plenty of games to go...boro could quite conceivably lose to wolves tonight..still all to play for.

just stating that the towel seems to have been thrown in already. There will be many twists and turns from now

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Since LJ has been here, he comfortably staved off relegation in his first season, marginally improved our league position in his second - albeit with a very poor run in the middle - and now has us challenging for play offs. His win % is better than any manager in or history, other than those who have benefitted from periods in the easier third tier. Quite clearly he is in credit overall.

Yes he is, but he is not beyond criticism either and today he got little if anything at all right, January's business was piss poor, Kent and Diony are just hopeless, his constant selection of Paterson is totally bewildering and his habit of chasing games for all 3 points is backfiring on him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Since LJ has been here, he comfortably staved off relegation in his first season, marginally improved our league position in his second - albeit with a very poor run in the middle - and now has us challenging for play offs. His win % is better than any manager in our history, other than those who have benefitted from periods in the easier third tier. Quite clearly he is in credit overall.

With the biggest backing and recruitment of players any manager has ever had 

Would expect significant improvement from any manager with that backing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Sheffield Wednesday are 10 points clear of Barnsley and we beat them 4-0. Ipswich are midtable and we beat them.

So, yes, winnable is a perfectly reasonable description.

7 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

I watched a horse race today

A horse rated at 90 was out in front after a mile , he tired toward the end and 5 horses all passed him and they were all higher rated horses .  At the start of the race the 90 rated horse was 7th in the betting so overall his trainer said he did well and he knew he wasn’t quite good enough to be able to keep the pace 

if we finish 7th or 8th that will be a good season and it’s looking like the clubs above us are bigger clubs that pay bigger wages etc and we will also finish above bigger clubs so we have over achieved this season.  I don’t care if we were 2nd at some point it doesn’t mean a thing 

A horse doing 90 is worthy of a victory . 

The big question is , 

Should we be  concerned that our form has plummeted since the beginning of the year ? 

12 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Blimey, don't give them facts, Chivs.

It'll spoil the evening when they go off to slit their wrists because we'll likely finish higher than they predicted in August....  :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With the biggest backing and recruitment of players any manager has ever had 

Would expect significant improvement from any manager with that backing

In a division where players routinely exchange hands for millions of pounds nowadays. The backing is proportional to the market in which we now operate and we still operate with a lower-half budget without the benefit of parachute payments.

It is not a fair or straightforward comparison to compare financial backing in 2018 to that of previous generations.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

and yet virtually the same team beat four premiership sides and was second in the league in the run up to Christmas, potentially we are more than good enough for the play offs, we have been vv good and vv bad no reason we can't be good again let's hope so.

I know. When you see how well the players have played and some incredable performances earlier in the season, it's then so frustrating to see the same players performing so poorly over so many games recently. I know we will turn it around but when and how, I have no idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

In a division where players routinely exchange hands for millions of pounds nowadays. The backing is proportional to the market in which we now operate and we still operate with a lower-half budget without the benefit of parachute payments.

It is not a fair or straightforward comparison to compare financial backing in 2018 to that of previous generations.

How many players have Preston , Millwall , Fulham , Cardiff bought for millions only to have them in the stands or out on loan

and you never answered the question whether you’ve actually seen the performances since Christmas ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

@ChippenhamRed why rubbish this. Are you a happy supporter? 

Because you never, ever offer anything even close to balanced opinion and this is yet another example.

I’m disappointed that our form has dipped since Christmas but against pre-season expectations and where I think par would have been for this season, yes I’m a happy supporter. It’s called being able to see the bigger picture.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Lovely thanks....that was actually genuine as always thought you were a pretty decent chap. Don’t know why you got banned until someone posted...maybe I got it wrong about you

Strange claim after you suddenly had a spell of rubbishing each of my posts

:laughcont:

:thumbsup:

Edited by BobBobSuperBob

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

Next season a different story and I share your pessimism if we do no go up and lose the spine of our team in Flint, smith, Bryan etc.

plenty of games to go...boro could quite conceivably lose to wolves tonight..still all to play for.

just stating that the towel seems to have been thrown in already. There will be many twists and turns from now

Towel being thrown in or realism? 
On here , looking at it from the other side.

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... Then...

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... Then..

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... etc

From my perspective that is as annoying as anyone throwing in the towel as you call it. If you look back you can understand people giving up on our promotion chances as this run (just about relegation form remember) has gone on three months or so.
I keep hoping something will click, but todays stats are ridiculous . Bags of possession and 2 shots on target against a relegation candidate. OK you can't win every game, you can lose against a side fighting relegation. It the fact THEY had 3 times more shots than us , 4 time more on target those figures are worrying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How many players have Preston , Millwall , Fulham , Cardiff bought for millions only to have them in the stands or out on loan

and you never answered the question whether you’ve actually seen the performances since Christmas ?

Yes I’ve seen performances since Christmas - some live, some on telly - and I am not saying they haven’t been disappointing.

They haven’t all been terrible either - Fulham, Sheff Wed, QPR spring to mind.

Edited by ChippenhamRed

10 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Can't believe the experts on here think Wright is ahead of Flint. Hysterical. 

He fouled Moore for the free kick that led to the first goal and Baker was just as culpable. We're conceding sloppy goals and failing to create chances at the other end.

The crazy thing is, when City face a team playing high tempo football, they can respond in kind. Fulham being a great example.

Unfortunately teams at the bottom of the table play at their own pace, often opting for a direct game that utilises big, physical players 

It's City's failure to adapt that's stalling our season. Too many players go missing and lesser teams dominate us

We've still got the quality to start a winning run, but the players need to believe in their own ability and fast. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Towel being thrown in or realism? 
On here , looking at it from the other side.

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... Then...

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... Then..

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... etc

From my perspective that is as annoying as anyone throwing in the towel as you call it. If you look back you can understand people giving up on our promotion chances as this run (just about relegation form remember) has gone on three months or so.
I keep hoping something will click, but todays stats are ridiculous . Bags of possession and 2 shots on target against a relegation candidate. OK you can't win every game, you can lose against a side fighting relegation. It the fact THEY had 3 times more shots than us , 4 time more on target those figures are worrying. 

Fair enough mate I agree with the majority of that..maybe I am too glass half full...but everyone on here would have taken where we are now 6 months ago. 

Have a good evening

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yes I’ve seen performances since Christmas - some live, some on telly - and I am not saying they haven’t been disappointing.

They haven’t all been terrible either - Fulham, Sheff Wed, QPR spring to mind.

Fulham - we were ok / spirited -!mainly thanks to an epic shift from Reid and nowhere near our normal style but competitive

I Thought we were very poor against a pitiful QPR side but again credit for spirit / doggedness

Shetf Weds - we played some great stuff but against possibly the worst side and certainly one of the most disinterested I’ve EVER seen at AG

And those three are the highlights in how many games 15 ?

And that (The performances) don’t concern you ?

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fulham - we were ok / spirited -!mainly thanksvto an epic shift from Reid and nowhere near our normal style but competitive

I Thought we were very poor against a pitiful QPR side but again credit for spirit / doggedness

Shetf Weds - we played some great stuff but against possibly the worst side and certainly one of the most disinterested I’ve EVER seen at AG

And those three are the highlights in how many games 15 ?

And that (The performances) don’t concern you ?

Where did I say it doesn’t concern me?

Disappointed about our decline since Christmas, but will continue to argue against those who deny our overall progress.

They should rename this forum Knee jerk incrporated, trawling through and reading some of the comments posted of abuse and despair is hilarious.....LJ Out, tactically inept, doesn't know wtf he's doing...............and then elation and play offs here we come.  The championship is the most unpredictable league, probably in Europe, Barnsley are fighting for their lives, so they are not gonna just roll over.  LJ has plenty of faults, but he is one of the youngest managers in the top 2 divisions, has taken a team that seemed certain to be relegated last season to 1 point from the play offs. I personally think he's doing a great job.  No I am NOT a happy clapper, and I am prone to moments of over reaction and stupid comments..........but maybe a few people should read back through some of the absurdly embarassing posts made during this game.  Sorry I will get off of my soapbox and look forward to beating Brentford on Monday, that's the beauty of the championship, no 2 games/performances are ever the same.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Sheffield Wednesday are 10 points clear of Barnsley and we beat them 4-0. Ipswich are midtable and we beat them.

So, yes, winnable is a perfectly reasonable description.

In as much as any game is winnable maybe, having just struggled to get 2 shots on target against a side that has a goal difference of minus 20 I'm not so sure. The SW game is starting to look like an anomaly in a horrible run.
I just get fed up when after another poor result against a side that almost everyone says we should beat , we then get the ..it's ok if we win the next game ...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

They should rename this forum Knee jerk incrporated, trawling through and reading some of the comments posted of abuse and despair is hilarious.....LJ Out, tactically inept, doesn't know wtf he's doing...............and then elation and play offs here we come.  The championship is the most unpredictable league, probably in Europe, Barnsley are fighting for their lives, so they are not gonna just roll over.  LJ has plenty of faults, but he is one of the youngest managers in the top 2 divisions, has taken a team that seemed certain to be relegated last season to 1 point from the play offs. I personally think he's doing a great job.  No I am NOT a happy clapper, and I am prone to moments of over reaction and stupid comments..........but maybe a few people should read back through some of the absurdly embarassing posts made during this game.  Sorry I will get off of my soapbox and look forward to beating Brentford on Monday, that's the beauty of the championship, no 2 games/performances are ever the same.

Unless you finish top 4 or bottom 4 which would mean lots of games were the same; won or lost.

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Knee jerk post .

:disapointed2se:

Just now, 1960maaan said:

In as much as any game is winnable maybe, having just struggled to get 2 shots on target against a side that has a goal difference of minus 20 I'm not so sure. The SW game is starting to look like an anomaly in a horrible run.
I just get fed up when after another poor result against a side that almost everyone says we should beat , we then get the ..it's ok if we win the next game ...

Our poor form has been hugely overstated. “Horrible” runs are losing every week - like 8 defeats in a row last season.

Our current horrible run has seen us lose 3 in 12, and unbeaten in 5 at home.

A decline compared to pre-Christmas without a doubt, but not “horrible”. Away form is certainly a concern.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

A horse doing 90 is worthy of a victory . 

The big question is , 

Should we be  concerned that our form has plummeted since the beginning of the year ? 

Invariably, form will go up and down over the season.  We struggled after the cup run and adrenaline saw us through some tough games. I believe the late wolves winner and we controlled the game was like a massive punch in the stomach 

ill use a boxing analogy,  if a fighter is in control but then gets hurt and put down they usually struggle to regain momentum and they end up just trying to survive each round   It’s not too dissimilar to us after the wolves result 

to be in and around the top 6 all season and a long successful cup run is s massive achievement and we have punched above our weight whilst struggling with injuries so no it’s not a worry for me   We just need to regain momentum 

personally id go back to a back 3 with Pisano and Bryan as WBs   We looked more solid than we do now   In all fairness Barnsley could have scored 5 or 6 today 

12 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Clearest sign yet that LJ is losing the plot,just said he couldn’t take bobby off dispite not doing hardly anything today because he is our top scorer and would rather change the system to fit around him,what the f is going on 

1 point off the play offs in possibly the most competitive league in Europe and young LJ Is losing the plot.................I would guess you are a glass half empty kinda bloke.

• Like 2

I'm happy with a point in the context of today's game, with us being behind late on after what sounds like a disjointed display...but our away form is a concern. We are still in the race for the play-offs, but we don't seem to have much momentum. Next week's game at Millwall will be interesting!

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Where did I say it doesn’t concern me?

Disappointed about our decline since Christmas, but will continue to argue against those who deny our overall progress.

On the face of it we clearly have (And at times played some great stuff)

This however against the freehand to recruit approx 30 players 

And despite that the spine and main stalwarts in the side and those lauded as our best are not in amongst those numbers but were here before LJ arrived

That concerns me

The fact that our recruitment is IMHO very questionable means that if / when Reid / Flint / Bryan etc move on the same recruitment personnel will replace them and I’ll nail my colours to the mast and say I have little confidence that the result will be positive

Add to the fact that our best run came when there were few selection options and we were forced to play in a particular way , a way we have gone away from - looking a confused set up right now

Thus the future concerns me with the present set up

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Our poor form has been hugely overstated. “Horrible” runs are losing every week - like 8 defeats in a row last season.

A decline compared to pre-Christmas without a doubt, but not “horrible”. Away form is certainly a concern.

This is a good post. At present we are above average.

Your view on this season depends on the starting point. If I'm to be fair to Lee Johnson then I wanted improvement  from last season and that' what we've got.

I understand the disappointment in the club yet again failing at Christmas and the lack of any reason as to why we no longer play the football we did, but if we finish 10th or higher than that is a marked improvement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cummins17 said:

Some people need to give their heads a wobble! How people can be calling for LJs head after the season we’ve had. If anyone would of been anything short of delighted with a top half finish after last season, they are lying! 

Who’s ‘called for his head’ ?

Please assist by pointing out

Thanks in advance

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s not just the points total that shows we are in decline.  Performances this year have simply not been good enough with very little creativity, shots on target, energy, control and tempo.  We are terrible away from home and not great on the eye at home.  A couple of performances have seen us back to our old selves  but on the whole it feels like a team that doesn’t know how to get out of this downward spiral 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Invariably, form will go up and down over the season.  We struggled after the cup run and adrenaline saw us through some tough games. I believe the late wolves winner and we controlled the game was like a massive punch in the stomach 

ill use a boxing analogy,  if a fighter is in control but then gets hurt and put down they usually struggle to regain momentum and they end up just trying to survive each round   It’s not too dissimilar to us after the wolves result 

to be in and around the top 6 all season and a long successful cup run is s massive achievement and we have punched above our weight whilst struggling with injuries so no it’s not a worry for me   We just need to regain momentum 

personally id go back to a back 3 with Pisano and Bryan as WBs   We looked more solid than we do now   In all fairness Barnsley could have scored 5 or 6 today 

Agreed that we were lucky to get even a point. Barnsley struggled to hit the target .

Our tactics of long balls up to one striker marked by three huge defenders was mystifying.

Make no mistake we did very well to gain a point today but our performances are not those of a promotion team.

We looked disjointed, lacking ideas and fight .

The midfield were , once again, over run . 

The defence all over the shop and the forwards so far away from each other that they could have been playing in different matches .

There is a lot of work to do and IMHO we are nowhere near promotion contenders.

I believe we can do it so it's so frustrating that we aren't.

What has changed ? 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You can pick certain facts from the post Xmas run of games

But , keepingbthis run simple , and if I’ve got my maths right

Sonce Wolves and over 3 months we’ve attained 15 points from 14 games

Thay is relegation / close to relegation form over a third of the season

in the two months of January and February we got 7 points from 9 games

Thay is certainly relegation form

Therefore calling it a horrible run is I would suggest reasonable and hasn’t occurred over a blip of 3/4/5 games but 15 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

10th is about right. 

I would have been happy with 10th at the beginning of the season as that’s an improvement on recent years.  Without wishing to sound like Wael of the Rovers, it’s going to take time to build a good team that can looks like certain promotion contenders. That said, the worrying thing is City’s form this season follows the pattern that LJ has had every season since he started as a manager - i. e. periods of good form followed by a long period of poor form. I’d be happy with some dull consistency for a while. The periods of highs and lows just builds expectations and hopes in the good times. 

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Don't know if you're referring to me as I did use the word 'horrible' in reference to our form.
Maybe overstated but , I'll defend myself by saying .... From December 4th (first table that popped up) we have gained 25 points in 19 games, slightly over 1 per game. That , over the season would see us about 17th at the moment. Not great , but if you then add that we were 3rd with 37 from 20 it's been a big drop off in form. How long is a dip? 3, 5, 8 games ? Our has been 3 months.  
I've said this before, if we hadn't had such a good run earlier and such a poor run now perspective would be different . Reverse the season and we'd be shouting from the rafters, even the win/loss out and we'd be happy , but it is what it is, a depressing drop off in form with no sign of change. I fully understand the disappointment when people moan, 3 wins in 18 is it? ........ Horrible ? :whistle:

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Don't know if you're referring to me as I did use the word 'horrible' in reference to our form.
Maybe overstated but , I'll defend myself by saying .... From December 4th (first table that popped up) we have gained 25 points in 19 games, slightly over 1 per game. That , over the season would see us about 17th at the moment. Not great , but if you then add that we were 3rd with 37 from 20 it's been a big drop off in form. How long is a dip? 3, 5, 8 games ? Our has been 3 months.  
I've said this before, if we hadn't had such a good run earlier and such a poor run now perspective would be different . Reverse the season and we'd be shouting from the rafters, even the win/loss out and we'd be happy , but it is what it is, a depressing drop off in form with no sign of change. I fully understand the disappointment when people moan, 3 wins in 18 is it? ........ Horrible ? :whistle:

Last 16:

W4 D6 L6.

I haven’t included the cup games in there - it would be harsh to include two against Man City!

It’s a mixed bag, but not quite horrible in my book. But certainly disappointing compared to pre-Christmas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

We didn't turn up today, we got very lucky indeed.

I think what people are missing is that LJ as a manager has great runs of results followed by poor runs of results and they tend to occur for months at a time.

Somebody wisely said in an earlier post that if the poor results were more evenly spread people would not be so concerned and that is possibly true but they are not and it is a worrying trait from the whole of his managerial career.

We know LJ has poor runs every season, to the extent they are now utterly predictable. We knew it before he came after collapses at Oldham and Barnsley and we have now seen it repeated at AG.

It is harder for fans to enjoy LJ's good runs when we know a desperately poor drop in performance and results is almost destined to follow. 

We also know that promotion at any stage is very unlikely for any club which has such dramatic and extended dips in form.

These awful runs simply have to stop - LJ will never be the coach his most vehement backers tell us he can be, or gain the genuine confidence of the fanbase, until he produces a team capable of some real consistency over a season, and where a prolonged period of frustration and anti climax just around the corner is not a near certainty.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I know what you're saying. It's like if you snatch a draw after being 3 down it feels soooo much better than if you blow a 3 goal lead - even though the result is just the same and the table reads identically.

However, I'm quite sanguine about the last three months and take an overview of the whole season, where I can say A) We did better than I thought*  B) We enjoyed our first cup run worth talking about for eons C) There is visible progress at the club.

Our form in 2018 has been patchy, but not awful. This seems bad only when compared to the start of the season (see my opening analogy). 

However, then, I'd argue that we were massively overachieving. The cracks were there to see, but few pointed them out as they didn't want to be shouted down as pessimists.

Famara is an OK striker, but arguably not a £5m+ one, and no-one forgets Tammy

We play a fast, open, pressing game that looks wonderful when it works but does land us with loads of injuries

Even in our "golden patch" we can't break down sides who "park the bus"

We have no midfield distributor and not really a dead ball specialist either

When those injuries came in, it became obvious that although we have a larger squad than for years, there is no real strength in depth there. Some positions have no decent cover at all.

We had more than our share of luck in many early season games and less than our share recently

Above all, Johnson c*cked January up.

There's much to admire this season  in terms of players ability brought on and new boys making their mark it's good, but we're still work in progress.

We shouldn't judge it a failure if we don't finish Top 6.

* I'm assuming we don't go into a tailspin and lose all the remaining games  ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Clearest sign yet that LJ is losing the plot,just said he couldn’t take bobby off dispite not doing hardly anything today because he is our top scorer and would rather change the system to fit around him,what the f is going on 

Flip side, LJ takes Bobby off while we're chasing the game, you can imagine the reaction of 'ffs why is he taking off our best striker!?!? He doesn't have a ******* clue!'

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I know what you're saying. It's like if you snatch a draw after being 3 down it feels soooo much better than if you blow a 3 goal lead - even though the result is just the same and the table reads identically.

However, I'm quite sanguine about the last three months and take an overview of the whole season, where I can say A) We did better than I thought*  B) We enjoyed our first cup run worth talking about for eons C) There is visible progress at the club.

Our form in 2018 has been patchy, but not awful. This seems bad only when compared to the start of the season (see my opening analogy). 

However, then, I'd argue that we were massively overachieving. The cracks were there to see, but few pointed them out as they didn't want to be shouted down as pessimists.

Famara is an OK striker, but arguably not a £5m+ one, and no-one forgets Tammy

We play a fast, open, pressing game that looks wonderful when it works but does land us with loads of injuries

Even in our "golden patch" we can't break down sides who "park the bus"

We have no midfield distributor and not really a dead ball specialist either

When those injuries came in, it became obvious that although we have a larger squad than for years, there is no real strength in depth there. Some positions have no decent cover at all.

We had more than our share of luck in many early season games and less than our share recently

Above all, Johnson c*cked January up.

There's much to admire this season  in terms of players ability brought on and new boys making their mark it's good, but we're still work in progress.

We shouldn't judge it a failure if we don't finish Top 6.

* I'm assuming we don't go into a tailspin and lose all the remaining games  ;-)

I view LJ as producing the foundations of a good team. What he is yet to prove (to everyone on here) is whether he can build the “walls and roof” to produce a solid all round team. Currently, based on the last 15 games, he is seriously struggling - that is a fact!

A good manager has tactically to be able to set a team up to win - dependent on how the other team plays. Managers like Warnock are past masters of this, regardless of whether you like them or not. Based on the last 2 years, LJ has struggled AND IMO he has been found out by several this season. 

Time will tell over the next 12 months as to whether he can take the club to the next stage - in many ways I feel for LJ, as the Jan transfer dealings I assume was MA decisions primarily, and the less said about that, the better.

Edited by GasDestroyer
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

Flip side, LJ takes Bobby off while we're chasing the game, you can imagine the reaction of 'ffs why is he taking off our best striker!?!? He doesn't have a ******* clue!'

What was losing the plot was having Duric and Diedhiou AND Diony all on the pitch recently as a strike force  (Burton ?)

8 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

I view LJ as producing the foundations of a good team. What he is yet to prove (to everyone on here) is whether he can build the “walls and roof” to produce a solid all round team. Currently, based on the last 15 games, he is seriously struggling - that is a fact!

A good manager has tactically to be able to set a team up to win - dependent on how the other team plays. Managers like Warnock are past masters of this, regardless of whether you like them or not. Based on the last 2 years, LJ has struggled AND IMO he has been found out by several this season. 

Time will tell over the next 12 months as to whether he can take the club to the next stage - in many ways I feel for LJ, as the Jan transfer dealings I assume was MA decisions primarily, and the less said about that, the better.

Time will indeed tell. Johnson is still a young manager and learning his trade as much as many of his players are.  Warnock is 597 and achieves success at the cost of watchability.

I'd not say we're struggling so much as are very inconsistent.  January was horrible. We had loads of injuries, fatigue of the cup run setting in and it was a tough schedule even without all that. Since then, we've been up and down. Occasionally good, occasionally disappointing, but neither excellent nor dire.

Next season I'd like to see us mount a consistent challenge - even if we don't make it up. 

As you say, we need to see this work in progress carry forward, otherwise we might start thinking about who is out there that can build those "walls and roof".