IGNORED

Swansea v Southampton

Super

4 hours ago, 22A said:

I watched the Welsh local news last night. Swansea fans were stating the American owners (just like so many others) didn't realise team could be relegated from the Prem. Even now, the fans think the owners don't realise the implications of relegation.

Classic 

48 minutes ago, Deepdaleismychurch said:

What a load of bollocks. 

How does the amount of day trippers a club takes to Wembley, determine the size of said club? - Utterly ridiculous statement.

There are many cases of traditionally smaller clubs taking far greater numbers than clubs that are unquestionably larger.

For example: Walsall took more to the JPT final, than Sheff Utd did for a playoff final v Huddersfield. 

Sheff Utd dwarf Bristol City, yet only took 25K to that game.

There are many many other examples too. 

Thanks for your respectful reply.

It’s a measure of a club’s fan base and one way of judging a club’s relative size. If Sheffield United only took 25k for a play off final while we took 45k for a football league trophy final, do they really “dwarf” us? The size of a club is about so much more than it’s on-field achievements. Were Wigan suddenly a “big” club when they won the FA Cup?

I note you are quick to dismiss my method and yet fail to offer any alternative way of judging club size.

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Thanks for your respectful reply.

It’s a measure of a club’s fan base and one way of judging a club’s relative size. If Sheffield United only took 25k for a play off final while we took 45k for a football league trophy final, do they really “dwarf” us? The size of a club is about so much more than it’s on-field achievements. Were Wigan suddenly a “big” club when they won the FA Cup?

I note you are quick to dismiss my method and yet fail to offer any alternative way of judging club size.

Their average attendances suggest they do CR

Maybe not ‘dwarf’ us but both Sheffield sides are ‘bigger’ than us, Weds considerably

1 hour ago, Deepdaleismychurch said:

What a load of bollocks. 

How does the amount of day trippers a club takes to Wembley, determine the size of said club? - Utterly ridiculous statement.

There are many cases of traditionally smaller clubs taking far greater numbers than clubs that are unquestionably larger.

For example: Walsall took more to the JPT final, than Sheff Utd did for a playoff final v Huddersfield. 

Certainly determines potential but your example is awful given it was Walsalls first ever visit.

On 10/05/2018 at 22:10, BCFC11 said:

Didn’t the Sags take 48k to their L2 play off final? They and their ever so lovely owner like to tell everyone they did anyway.

They most definitely didn’t.

No where near in fact. They sold their original allocation of 35k, they then received a further 5k tickets as a result of Shrewsbury failing to sell their allocation. 

They took around 38k, which is still around 10k more than their last Play Off Final. They did have the novelty factor of being one of the first teams to play at the new Wembley in 2007 which probably explains the higher ticket sales.

I’ve heard Gasheads claim they took 50k to that Shrewsbury match. Absolutely ******* ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Their average attendances suggest they do CR

Maybe not ‘dwarf’ us but both Sheffield sides are ‘bigger’ than us, Weds considerably

If average home attendances are the measure then I agree they’re a bit bigger than us.

But if they really did only take 25k for a play off final, it suggests we might have a bigger extended fan base if we are able to take 45k for a paint pot trophy against Walsall.

Its just one way of comparing clubs, that’s all.

1 hour ago, Deepdaleismychurch said:

What a load of bollocks. 

I’m guessing if Sheffield Utd only took 25k to Wembley for any final then it’s because that was the only tickets they were allowed. They are a much bigger club than us IMO.

In 2008 we could have easily sold more than 35k for our Play Off Final against Hull however we weren’t allowed more tickets. I’m pretty sure Wembley have to withhold a certain number of tickets for neutrals who wish to attend PO Finals?

However CR’s point about the JPT Final isn’t ‘bollocks’ or ridiculous. Very few people who attend these Wembley matches have absolutely no affection for the club they’re watching. Many may not attend League matches on a regular basis however they are an indication of fan potential IF the club ever finds themselves in the top flight. Whether you think it or not, 40k+ for a JPT match is impressive and there are many clubs in the League, including yours, that wouldn’t get close to that figure.

6 hours ago, Deepdaleismychurch said:

They were allocated the same as every other club in that position. Up to 40k. 

Wembley attendances are full of anomalies. 

Blackpool taking 38K against Cardiff, despite barely getting 10k gates for the past 40yrs. Gillingham taking 40k. 

There are loads of examples.

Bristol is a large city, so it stands to reason that the city's most popular football club will be able to attract a large number of day trippers from amongst the city's population, for a showpiece final.

I honestly find it staggering that anyone would use Wembley attendances as any sort of accurate yardstick.

No one said anything about “accurate yardstick”. It’s a crude measure of the very crude notion of how “big” a club is.

It’s still a decent indicator. If Blackpool took 38k then that shows the interest level in that club to be significant, which by this definition indicates the club to be relatively large. Forest Green, for example, wouldn’t ever take 38k. Blackpool’s 10k gates are a reflection of their lower league status for most of that time. Using Wembley as an indicator deliberately removes that factor from the equation.

Bristol being a large city and hence increasing our ability to draw a big crowd for a showpiece occasion simply suggests using this system that our club is large in terms of interest level. Oh and if it really is just because it’s a large city, why did our rivals across the city take 10k fewer than we did for the JPT final, for a far more important play off final, in the same season?

Oh and Sheffield is a big city too. So by your reckoning they really ought to have taken more than 25k if 40k were available. What’s their excuse?

Interesting that you are continuing to deride my suggestion yet still declining to offer an alternative method of defining “big”.

7 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

They most definitely didn’t.

No where near in fact. They sold their original allocation of 35k, they then received a further 5k tickets as a result of Shrewsbury failing to sell their allocation. 

They took around 38k, which is still around 10k more than their last Play Off Final. They did have the novelty factor of being one of the first teams to play at the new Wembley in 2007 which probably explains the higher ticket sales.

I’ve heard Gasheads claim they took 50k to that Shrewsbury match. Absolutely ******* ridiculous.

Rovers took 30k to the most important match in their history to get back into the football league.

In the same season, we took 45k for a tinpot trophy final against the mighty Walsall.

If any gashead ever claims attendance superiority, that should shut down the conversation pretty quickly.

On 11/05/2018 at 18:57, 22A said:

Those twelve have all played at least one season in the original First Division though.

Oops; as mentioned in last night's TV commentary; Notts Co were one of the founder members of the Premier League.

Archived