IGNORED

Scouting

94th Minute

I read it somewhere that bristol city have the largest catchment area, surely we should have a far better level of players comeing out of the academy.

I play in my school team and have never been to a scouted game, and also know people from other schools who have not been to a game with a scout.

also theres the downs etc. where many people play football and theres a few who are a good level.

What games do the scouts watch,

Because it seems they are missing out on talent.

I dont know enough about the scouting system to insult it but maybe if it was better city could be in the prem.

I read it somewhere that bristol city have the largest catchment area, surely we should have a far better level of players comeing out of the academy.

You cannot expect immediate success with the academy it take time. However, I totally disagree with your post look at the players in the first team squad that have come through the academy - quite a few I think you'll find.

Think you're expectations are a little too high.

Where do you think that the players come from that make up the Academy sides? Look at the current City Team and count off the local talent: Matt Hill, Danny Coles, Aaron Brown, Tommy Doherty, Joe Burnell, Steve Phillips (almost)...they're all Bristolian and have come through the ranks.

It used to be said that Bristol's quality players went to Norwich and Southampton. They're not so likely to. Local lads and lasses are more likely to be scouted by City these days. Just cos you've not consciously seen a scout doesn't mean they don't exist.

I am sorry but you don't seem to have a valid point.

Scooter Red

Scout attend all level of local youth football. You will not necessarily be aware that a scout is at a game but be aware they do circulate the area, whether it be a school team, local team or county representative team the scouts are active and you are being watched.

Guest Eddie Hitler

We may hope this is the case, but is it really true?

A mate's dad at school (in Cornwall) was a scout for Man Utd. He cost them nothing but would get round the games and report on players and make recommendations for people from the salaried staff to follow up.

Do you know if we have a similar system?

Scouts are unlikely to watch local school teams or local league sides unless someone has been particularly recommended. If you think about it, they're not interested in the players who are the best in their school side or local league side, they're looking for kids are best in their area or county.

In order to get noticed you should be playing, at least, representative level.

This means you need to represent your school district or local league rep side.

If you're playing for your school district, league rep side or, even better, your county side, you can be sure you're being watched.

Although City may have a good catchment area, the cream of the talent will generally be syphoned off by the big boys.

We may hope this is the case, but is it really true?

A mate's dad at school (in Cornwall) was a scout for Man Utd.  He cost them nothing but would get round the games and report on players and make recommendations for people from the salaried staff to follow up.

Do you know if we have a similar system?

Yes!

Although City may have a good catchment area, the cream of the talent will generally be syphoned off by the big boys.

That's why it is so important that the FA resist the attempts by the likes of Man U to get the 90mins travel time rule overturned.

My point about Steve Phillips was about geography, as Terpin rightly assumed, rather than ability. He isn't quite a Bristol boy.

Scooter Red

That's why it is so important that the FA resist the attempts by the likes of Man U to get the 90mins travel time rule overturned.

True, but this only protects the youngsters (9 - 15).

When they reach youth age (16/17 leaving school etc.), they can choose to go to whomever they wish and, unfortunately, money talks.

Compensation paid to the nursery club is peanuts compared to what they offer the best prospects and their parents. Against the "rules" it may be, but it goes on.

At the end of the day, you cannot legislate for a lad "choosing" the club he wants to play for - it's a free country after all. :(

What it needs is not legislation and rules, but education and indoctrination of the youngster that his best chance for first team football will be with a club like ours rather than the big boys. Unfortunately, some do not get the choice because some star-struck parents, flattered by the interest of the big clubs and the enticing monetary offers on the table, persuade them to go for the bright lights.

:Confused13:

True, but this only protects the youngsters (9 - 15).

When they reach youth age (16/17 leaving school etc.), they can choose to go to whomever they wish and, unfortunately, money talks.

Compensation paid to the nursery club is peanuts compared to what they offer the best prospects and their parents. Against the "rules" it may be, but it goes on.

At the end of the day, you cannot legislate for a lad "choosing" the club he wants to play for - it's a free country after all. :(

What it needs is not legislation and rules, but education and indoctrination of the youngster that his best chance for first team football will be with a club like ours rather than the big boys. Unfortunately, some do not get the choice because some star-struck parents, flattered by the interest of the big clubs and the enticing monetary offers on the table, persuade them to go for the bright lights.

:Confused13:

There is truth in everything you say. But that very 9-15 age group is where the hard work of recruitment is done and where, as you say, the arguments have to be pitched.

Archived