IGNORED

Bolton Wanderers v Bristol City Match Day 2

havanatopia

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Did you watch? Guessing not if you rubbished my post as we actually played some very good football.

Always makes me wonder how people form such strong opinions based on radio and text. 

How many games last season did we not take chances to then completely balls it up at the back?

We continue to give away shocking goals. How many games last season did we just gift the opposition goals?

Bolton are dreadful. We are gonna be playing far superior teams then them this season 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

Nice to be on the right end of a comeback for once.

Sucker punch 1st goal from a corner. The second, mistakes all round. Baker, Brownhill and Pack IIRC all ball watching. Sometimes we over play it and get punished, that felt like one of those times.

Great comeback though and spirit, Bolton away is not easy. They're physical and cynical but we should take heart from getting back in it.

Pack, tremendous pass to pick out Weimann, who I read at least once a day on here won't score many goals, is 2 in 2.

Pato with a very good finish for the equaliser, but otherwise very very frustrating. Misplaced passes and control, one very poor set piece at the death.

Impressed with Weimann, Watkins, Kelly was assured. 

Very nearly nicked it at the end when Taylor outmuscled his man and scrapped a sqaure to Eisa who was just beaten by the defender who poked it agonisingly wide for a corner.

Correct about Taylor, he created the chance by persistence. Many will never forgive his past though. Paterson goal ensures he'll start against Boro. Which is about all he did. Watkins added muscle and good driving runs + through pass to Weimann which he mysteriously dragged back when shooting across the keeper was odds on. Packs defense splitting pass the champagne moment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Please do not spin this as anything other than what it is another poor performance against an incredibly poor side, it took 2 goals against us before we upped our game from a painfully slow, obvious and stuttering performance to actually put some real effort in and moving at pace.

We only started to create after we conceded 2 goals, the languid, slow almost negative style does not suit us, we are clearly better moving at pace.

Paterson scoring means he will now be undroppable for the next 20 or so games, the free kick near the end is more of an indication of his form.

As far as LJ is concerned if he says in his post match interview that Bolton are good side he is ******* liar and 21 points from the last 24 league games no wins in our last 6 is his recent record and he needs to improve.

We created sweet FA until we conceded 2, our final ball, crossing, corners, free kicks and even long balls were woeful all afternoon, we lack creativity in midfield.

Understand some of the sentiment but a little harsh. 16 attempts on goal and they didn’t all come at 0-2. 

We don’t look lacking creatively for me, we look lacking in someone who can finish them off (enter Diedhiou). 

All in all not going to grumble about a 2-2 after going 2 down. It’s a good result whatever way it’s spun and we’re still unbeaten. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

How many games last season did we not take chances to then completely balls it up at the back?

We continue to give away shocking goals. How many games last season did we just gift the opposition goals?

Bolton are dreadful. We are gonna be playing far superior teams then them this season 

You're just a negative version of Thatch

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

So no, you didn’t watch. 

Newsflash - pretty much every team will concede goals in this league. Many of them will be soft. Stoke, WBA and Boro have all conceded soft goals already this season. They’re all considerably better than us.

We’re two games in after a considerable squad upheaval. If you’d watched the game you’d know there areactually a lot of positives to take. Several players look sharper than last season and the new lads all look like offering something good. 

If Diedhiou had been on that pitch he’d have had a field day. 

Edited by BRISTOL86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Understand some of the sentiment but a little harsh. 16 attempts on goal and they didn’t all come at 0-2. 

We don’t look lacking creatively for me, we look lacking in someone who can finish them off (enter Diedhiou). 

All in all not going to grumble about a 2-2 after going 2 down. It’s a good result whatever way it’s spun and we’re still unbeaten. 

Remind me of a good chance before we were 2-0 down?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Remind me of a good chance before we were 2-0 down?

16 attempts on goal Es. I don’t know what the average in this league is but I’d wager it’s considerabky above it. 

Making them count is another matter of course but that wasn’t my point. We never looked remotely troubled at 0-0.

Maybe it was complacency. 

But it’s still frustrating to see people fail to take any kind of positive when there were lots there today for those willing to see them. 

1 minute ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

When Diedhiou is back I suspect Patterson would be dropped with Weimann playing in his role. It’s just a waiting game to Diedhiou returns. 

Diedhiou is going to thrive off of Eliasson. Not sure what he was taking in pre season but he looks a different player. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

16 attempts on goal Es. I don’t know what the average in this league is but I’d wager it’s considerabky above it. 

Making them count is another matter of course but that wasn’t my point. We never looked remotely troubled at 0-0.

But it’s still frustrating to see people fail to take any kind of positive when there were lots there today for those willing to see them. 

Gas lost, Crdiff lost, I think Swindle lost and the sky enhanced bet came in again

• Haha 1

There's no hiding from the fact that was pretty dire. Bolton are awful and we nearly let them come away with three points. First half we had a load of possession, created nothing and looked panicked whenever we got 25 yards from their goal. Second half we started off well, fell away and gave them two very basic goals before stepping up our game and coming away with a point. 

Taylor was excellent, we were missing an out and out striker and he provided that option, Watkins looked decent without really getting much of the ball and eisa looked sharp for the few minutes he was on the pitch. 

Overall though we are nothing more than a mid table side, we won't go down but if we want to challenge the top 10 we have to be more clinical on the ball, passing it around the middle of the pitch from side to side isn't going to win us games

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, RedBrizzleRobin said:

Honestly don't understand people bashing this side halfway though the second game! Especially when our defence consisted of two new signings and a talented but inexperienced Kelly, Eliasson who's only just made the squad/first 11 this season along with newboys maenpaa and Weimann.  That's essentially half a new team starting, it's going to take a good 10 or so games before this team clicks, honestly shocked that some are surprised we're dodgy in some areas at the moment.  This team will get better as the season goes on, the signs are there but it's going to take a few games for it to all gel together just don't be surprised if we have a slow start!

I posted same old City and I stand by that . 

Turgid , boring , safety first possession based stuff all played in our own half . Running down the clock to take a point .

When the shackles came off that again was the old City .

Early days , I am not worried as we will improve as the players get used to each other and the talent is there.

Well done lads .

Unbeaten in 2 .

• Like 2

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Did you watch the game or listen to a commentary?

9 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Correct about Taylor, he created the chance by persistence. Many will never forgive his past though. Paterson goal ensures he'll start against Boro. Which is about all he did. Watkins added muscle and good driving runs + through pass to Weimann which he mysteriously dragged back when shooting across the keeper was odds on. Packs defense splitting pass the champagne moment. 

Seen no sign of that ever amongst City fans tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I have no doubt you are a fan of BCFC.

It's just that your posting record suggests that you're not a very good one.

I just whole heartily don't rate our manager / head coach....or whatever you want to call him 

The bloke is so over rated it makes me cringe every time he opens his mouth and one of his 'sound bites' poor out 

Edited by Andy082005
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

might even attack a corner, 10 today and Bolton dealt with most of it very easily. That is a downside, no great threat from corners. Nobody brave enough in the box.

To be fair we’re never going to out-head Bolton are we. We’re not that kind of team, and obviously the threat of Flint has been removed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

There were some positives, we controlled the game in the first half, with only a couple of snapshots from Josh and an over hit cross against the woodwork to show for it, because of no real support for Weimann who was working his socks off again.

The frustration is it's a game we should won, Taylor in the No.10 role instead of Pato , or Eisa alongside Weimann and we probably could have turned our 70% possession in the first half into goals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

There were some positives, we controlled the game in the first half, with only a couple of snapshots from Josh and an over hit cross against the woodwork to show for it, because of no real support for Weimann who was working his socks off again.

The frustration is it's a game we should won, Taylor in the No.10 role instead of Pato , or Eisa alongside Weimann and we probably could have turned our 70% possession in the first half into goals.

Your second paragraph sums it up.

You could literally have said that a dozen times last season. Players have left...players have come in. Yet the same old same old...

Lots of pointless possession, no real end product , and weak at the back 

I'm not too unhappy- 2-0 down to 2-2, it's a point gained in that sense. We lost at Bolton last year, FWIW.

Sounds like we were shaky at the back- considering the churn, plus the absences of Frankie and Diddhiou however we will improve I think.

Bolton are not a good side by any stretch, but they are one of those who if anything like last season are horrible to play against. Listening on radio, sounded like the chance Eisa missed at the end was gilt edged...

On early evidence, don't think we'll go down but nor will we threaten the top 6 too much.

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

A much fairer assessment. We controlled both halves bar a terrible short spell in the second IMO. 

Lack of end product was disappointing but I see plenty of evidence that when the new boys bed in a bit more, and Diedhiou is back, we’ll get better. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

To be fair we’re never going to out-head Bolton are we. We’re not that kind of team, and obviously the threat of Flint has been removed. 

Why not? Zero bravery in the box in the air today. I think Watkins might get a few though, he looks a warrior to me. We were told that we were recruiting leaders. He and Hunt look like they might step up in that regard. We need Pack to get more vocal to add to his game. He certainly leads by example at the moment though.

Edited by The Original OTIB
grammar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Watched

And cannot recall a worthwhile chance before we went 2-0 down, you must agree that as soon as we went 2-0  down and started to inject some pace and playing with passion instead of the boring, negative, languid getting nowhere things improve WTF wait until we are 2-0 down?, Paterson (the goal apart) was poor yet again, Bolton were shit, our final ball, crossing, free kicks, corners and long balls were poor all day and the facts about LJ are irrefutable.

What was harsh?

1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

Why not? Zero bravery in the box in the air today. I think Watkins might get a few though, he looks a warrior to me. We were told that we were recruiting leaders. He and Hunt look like they might step up on that regard. We need Pack to get more vocal to add to his game. He certainly leads by example at the moment though.

We don’t have many big players? I wouldn’t say we have zero bravery, simply that it was always going to be an uphill battle trying to beat Bolton on physicality alone. 

Agree on Watkins I thought he looked excellent (despite reading on here that he was useless and a wasted signing before he’d kicked a ball) 

Hunt looks great with the ball going forwards. 

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And cannot recall a worthwhile chance before we went 2-0 down, you must agree that as soon as we went 2-0  down and started to inject some pace and playing with passion instead of the boring, negative, languid getting nowhere things improve WTF wait until we are 2-0 down?, Paterson (the goal apart) was poor yet again, Bolton were shit, our final ball, crossing, free kicks, corners and long balls were poor all day and the facts about LJ are irrefutable.

What was harsh?

The fact that you basically said we were awful which we weren’t. Bar one really poor spell we were completely dominant in both halves and never looked under threat. We weren’t clinical enough given the amount of the ball we had, I agree, but we’re also without our main striker so that’s not altogether surprising, is it? 

Of course there are always going to be things to be improved on, and we’re not always going to get what we deserve out of games. But I saw many more positives than negatives. Some people love to fixate only on the negatives and that’s their prerogative. 

I agree that Paterson was poor. 

Edited by BRISTOL86

The agony and the ecstacy! Reading the forum City are either going to spend the season fighting relegation or will improve as players gel / return from injury. Perhaps LJ should change his name to Lee Marmite 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Baker shocking on the corner, watched the ball go by for the second then inexplicably jumped over nothing! Bizarre...

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11470177/bolton-2-2-bristol-city

Baker really confuses me. At times he looks quality and other times it’s like he genuinely can’t even be bothered to try. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not too unhappy- 2-0 down to 2-2, it's a point gained in that sense. We lost at Bolton last year, FWIW.

Sounds like we were shaky at the back- considering the churn, plus the absences of Frankie and Diddhiou however we will improve I think.

Bolton are not a good side by any stretch, but they are one of those who if anything like last season are horrible to play against. Listening on radio, sounded like the chance Eisa missed at the end was gilt edged...

On early evidence, don't think we'll go down but nor will we threaten the top 6 too much.

Actually I don't think we were shaky at all.

We kept them shut out the whole first half, and they scored from their only real chances in the second.

The 1st goal - attacker outmuscles defender at corner. 2nd a series of little errors and concentration lapse. What the sky highlights don't show is the freekick given away played quickly just before the goal with the one moment in the game of all round general confusion.

I don't remember them troubling our goal much other than that, maybe one cross/shot saved by the keeper - who I thought looked pretty solid, especially with ball at feet. One particular pass out the back under a bit of pressure sent us quickly away to create a good chance up the other end.

Edited by Alessandro

Two down away and we got a draw, think thats well done! Think its look ok and think we are going to be better. Baker have so far not impressed. Eliasson is creative and good for the team. Two goals in two games for our new striker. When we were 2-0 down my mood was not good, so one point is good when thinking of that. COYR!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

We kept them shut out the whole first half, and they scored from their only real chances in the second.

The 1st goal - attacker outmuscles defender at corner. 2nd a series of little errors and concentration lapse.

I don't remember them troubling our goal much other than that, maybe one cross/shot saved by the keeper - who I thought looked pretty solid, especially with ball at feet. One particular pass out the back under a bit of pressure sent us quickly away to create a good chance up the other end.

Out-muscled? Baker literally stands off and watches him until the last second when it's too late. Dreadful; and the watching and skip for the second... jeez....

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11470177/bolton-2-2-bristol-city

At 2-0 down you'd have to be happy with the point, but that we were ever in the position of needing to come back was criminal given how the game had gone up to that point. 2 awful goals to concede.

Paterson was largely anonymous but came up with the goal when it mattered. Weimann never stopped working and was making some great runs in the first half that we couldn't pick out. Liked the look of Watkins when he came on.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We had only one remnant of last season's back five but still cannot defend any better than a team of eight year old. 

According to commentary, best defender was Kelly who will probably lose his place Dasilva. 

3/10. Must do better. 

Given we have conceded two matches running from Baker being outjumped, perhaps when DaSilva fit, Kelly (who looked best defender on the pitch) could play in his preferred CB role instead of Baker...

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

The 1st goal - attacker outmuscles defender at corner. 2nd a series of little errors and concentration lapse. What the sky highlights don't show is the freekick given away played quickly just before the goal with the one moment in the game of all round general confusion.

Read a thread that said we were terrible defensively- however thanks, your assessment puts me a bit more at ease.

Dunno if it's a good or bad sign that 2 goals conceded from 2 shots on target. Or just one of those things maybe.

1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

Out-muscled? Baker literally stands off and watches him until the last second when it's too late. Dreadful; and the watching and skip for the second... jeez....

Turn of phrase. Either way, what I meant was he lost his battle with Buckley. You need your defenders to win their duels every corner.

IIRC just before the second goal, Brownhill put Baker in trouble at the back. He fouled under pressure. Starting protesting with the ref. It was taken quickly. So he was out of position, still poor though.

I'll look again but that Pack should have got his laces through the cross though.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'd say the defense continues to be a concern.

But it is a mostly new back line and takes a bit of time for them to know each other's game.

In an ideal world you don't change 4 of your back 5 in one summer. And given Bryan was playing in pre season, him leaving was only something that came about very late on in the window.

Things might not get better defensively, but I'd suggest they are more likely to improve than to get worse.

New guys aren't the problem. Baker is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

At 2-0 down you'd have to be happy with the point, but that we were ever in the position of needing to come back was criminal given how the game had gone up to that point. 2 awful goals to concede.

Paterson was largely anonymous but came up with the goal when it mattered. Weimann never stopped working and was making some great runs in the first half that we couldn't pick out. Liked the look of Watkins when he came on.

According to DH , had a ripped boot and foot injury early in game but kept going for us despite struggling

Like his attitude

Very solid signing 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Read a thread that said we were terrible defensively- however thanks, your assessment puts me a bit more at ease.

Dunno if it's a good or bad sign that 2 goals conceded from 2 shots on target. Or just one of those things maybe.

Time will tell. But I actually thought we were more street wise today and controlled the ball very well. They didn't have us under the cosh for more than 5 or 10 minutes, and away from home that is decent going. 

I'm not saying we were superb, but I think it's easy to see 2 goals conceded and think, uh-oh, defence is an issue. But actually I'm not sure that was a fair reflection. They had 31% possession and 2 shots on target and never really got a foot hold in the game in term's of possession or pressure IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

He must have watched it.

Your not allowed to have opinions of you listened 

14 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I just whole heartily don't rate our manager / head coach....or whatever you want to call him 

The bloke is so over rated it makes me cringe every time he opens his mouth and one of his 'sound bites' poor out 

In respect of your first comment- I really do think that watching a game is 100% totally different to listening to a game- and I don't believe anyone has said you're not allowed an opinion- more that it's the wrong opinion based solely on a non visual commentary.

The second quote is just how you are Andy. You dislike Lee Johnson so much and in every way that it clouds your ability to see that a point- any point , whilst not ideal, is ok having gone 2-0 down. If any score other than a win is going to do your head in then I suggest you seek another outlet for your angst. 

Personally, I'm ok about it and believe we'll get better but have no real expectation that we're destined for anything other than an ok season. Lee would never have sold his best players if he had any say in it and given the chance would happily have spent millions more on better recruits. But we're Bristol City not Man City.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

You do know they are likely to be one of the favs to go down dont you

Maybe so. But it's a tough place to go, despite being down the bottom last season, their home form was decent and they picked up some good wins. They play cynically and the crowd are just as bad, on the ref's back the whole game.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

According to DH , had a ripped boot and football injury early in game but kept going for us despite struggling

Like his attitude

Very solid signing 

Yeah I think he'll do well. A lot of the comments I saw from Derby fans were highly complimentary about his effort and attitude. 

Not sure he'll hit the sort of numbers that Bobby got last year, despite the good start, but he'll chip in with his fair share. 

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

In respect of your first comment- I really do think that watching a game is 100% totally different to listening to a game- and I don't believe anyone has said you're not allowed an opinion- more that it's the wrong opinion based solely on a non visual commentary.

The second quote is just how you are Andy. You dislike Lee Johnson so much and in every way that it clouds your ability to see that a point- any point , whilst not ideal, is ok having gone 2-0 down. If any score other than a win is going to do your head in then I suggest you seek another outlet for your angst. 

Personally, I'm ok about it and believe we'll get better but have no real expectation that we're destined for anything other than an ok season. Lee would never have sold his best players if he had any say in it and given the chance would happily have spent millions more on better recruits. But we're Bristol City not Man City.

Absolutely. 

Sounds so simple, but all three of those "star" players that left us, left because they chose to. 

All had the chance to stay, we wanted them all to stay, all chose to leave. It's time to move on and for people to stop holding it against the club IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Maybe so. But it's a tough place to go, despite being down the bottom last season, their home form was decent and they picked up some good wins. They play cynically and the crowd are just as bad, on the ref's back the whole game.

Their fans were about as ill-informed about the game as you can possibly get. Every tackle was a foul, ... dreadful.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

We are averaging a point a game. Over 46 games, that's relegation. Johnson out!! ?

Not in 4 of the last 5 seasons it wasnt ?

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yeah I think he'll do well. A lot of the comments I saw from Derby fans were highly complimentary about his effort and attitude. 

Not sure he'll hit the sort of numbers that Bobby got last year, despite the good start, but he'll chip in with his fair share. 

Hope he does tho, backed him each way at 200/1 to be top scorer ?