IGNORED

Fa Cup

NailseaRed

I'd like to think that with slightly lower prices and improved performances of late, we might get 9,000. It doesn't help that we played Barnsley recently and it wasn't exactly edge of your seat stuff, so some fans will be thinking let's wait and see if we get to the 3rd round and who we play.

In terms of where i'm sitting. Me and "Dolman Moaner" plus a couple of mates have given up our normal seats in the Dolman and are trying Platinum Seating for the first ever time. I think for me, it is the only area I have never sat in so quite looking forward to the cushioned seats!

Isn't the Barnsley game the one where you have to keep your ticket to help you get one in the next round, depending on if it's a big team? (Did that actually make sense :Confused13: )

If that is the case, then a few more may come along on Saturday.

Less than 8000.

Its usually only real fans that go to these unattractive F.A. Cup 2nd round games.Partimers usually can't be arsed to go along.

"too expensive" is the usual excuse.

So you haven't missed any game this season then Robbored?

People arent going to go because it is too damn expensive considering there is the small matter of Christmas around the corner. Can you really say you're looking forward to a repeat of City vs Barnsley No1? In any other year that would've been the worse game of the season by a mile.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"I'm a real supporter,not a partimer"

I thought we'd see that somewhere yaaaaaawn.

Anyways, to the topic at hand.

I can see a average crowd saturday, 11000 seems a good shout. The fact that it will allow people more chance of getting a 3rd round ticket means the regulars will go. I can't see it bringing in too many extra fans.

Sad that the FA cup has lost its magic, thank you sky

RoBOREd, the only reason people may not be going on saturday is that there is a little thing called christmas. 3 of my mates 18ths are coming up too and i'm a student with only a part time job so I can't go either- cant afford it, just like what you said.

This doesn't just go for me but others I'm sure. Birthdays and Christmas, work and other events/ celebrations, are just some of the reasons why people can't attend football matches regularly.

If I could be there, or could affort too, then I would be down the Gate on saturday but as everyone maybe being not as fortunate as you sir they cant go, including me.

But you've struggled to make it out of Bristol on a few occasions then?

I've never claimed to be a regular fan at away games - I did all that years ago.If fact I think that I've visited something like 88 of the 92 league grounds following City in years gone by.

Nowadays when City are away I do the things that partimers seem to do when City are home.Chores,shopping,watching local amateur footie...

Guest KingswoodRed

Blow it.

I was getting all excited as this posting fell further and further down the page even after Robbored's wind up reply about part-timers, as I thought many were now wise to it.

Then the float started to bobble, and off it went under as someone bit.

Still, at least it managed halfway down before the bites cames in :(;)

Ps. Sorry for putting it back to the top.....

Guest KingswoodRed

I'll say 9,251.

1,251 of them part-timers, the rest will be our season ticket holders.

Oh and the 1,251 part-timers that DO turn up will only be there for the stubs so they can watch round 3......not for the game itself.

:(;)

Guest east_dundry_red

Where are people sitting? moved upto Atyeo block G for some chanting  :(

I'm hopefully moving up 2 block h of the ateyo for bit more atmosphere. Also taking the misses and me drum along with me.

Seems like I'll be listening to EDR's drum on Saturday in the Atyeo stand. Can't say that I'm overly excited about City in the FA cup as I'm only interested in the league games and league points towards promotion from this poxy division.

Up the City

This isn't the LDV or the League Cup, RG, this is THE Cup.

City should get 10,000 plus for this game, Barnsley won't be coming for 'a point' so it should be an open game.

I've got my season ticket seats booked, wouldn't miss City at home in the world's best Cup competition for anything.

Less than 8000.

Its usually only real fans that go to these unattractive F.A. Cup 2nd round games.Partimers usually can't be arsed to go along.

"too expensive" is the usual excuse.

Idiot!

Too expensive is an excuse????

And whats you 'excuse' for not going to every way game?

Just because you go to every home match does not make you anymore of city fan than me.

Again back to the old "Partimers" arguement

What makes a part time supporter and what right do you have to brand people as part time supporters.

I no longer attend the volume of games i used to BUT avidddly listen on the radio, look at this forum and the website once or twice a day, read the teletext and buy the shirts and kits for me and my 3yr old son.

But on your addage you would brand me a PART Timer.

Just because you attend alot of home games doesnt make you a SUPER fan any more than me, in my opinion.

We all go through fazes in our lifes where getting to the gate every saturday is not an option but it doesnt stop us supporting our club.

Guest Old Dazzler

I am prepared to bet £100 with any forum user that the crowd for Saturday's game will be between 12 - 13,000.

Any offers?

January 79, is that when we walloped Derby 6-2 or something? Howard Pritchard notching a couple?

RG, i was at Leeds when Donnie Gillies shocked the football world.

Anything can happen in the F.A. Cup and although you're right to say we won't win it, its a fantastic competition to be involved in and if the big guns start knocking each other out who knows how far 'Bristol's Zider Redz Fanatics' will cheer this great club?

I don't think Wimbledon expected to win it either. :(

Guest Old Dazzler

I bought a video from the club shop a few years ago called City's Cup highlights, or something original like that. No, it wasn't entered in the Guiness Book of Records as "the shortest video of all time", there was some decent material ranging from:-

City 3-1 Chelsea

Wimbledon 0-1 City (and the first game at Ashton 1-1)

Leicester 1-2 City (another planet!) followed by a thrashing by Forest

The three Liverpool games obviously culminating in Liverpool 0-1 City

Plus Stockport 0-4 City and ending with the 2 games against Charlton.

The Charlton game was in 1994 - since then our FA Cup highlights have been few and far between and the best memories seem to involve non-league sides ie 9-2 v St Albans, the Kingstonian games, Heybridge Swifts, Harrogate Rail added to a couple of disappointments against Leicester.

The best result in the last 9 seasons or so is probably the Away win at Huddersfield, who were a league above us at the time.

Have we been ahead of our time and leading the way for some of the bigger clubs in giving this competion low priority?

<br /> Swansea at AG - 4-1 City aet. oops!!! that was the Carling Cup.....sorry.

Anyway I went to all the home LDV games last season.... :P

How on Earth could you mistake such a Mickey Mouse tournament for one of the country's most prestigious cup competitions?

Reply to Nogbad the bad

In reply to your previous post, yes the FA Cup is the greatest domestic football competition in the world. However, I could only really get excited about it if I thought we were capable of winning it as in the 1978/79 season. I think we lost 2-1 at home to eventual winners ######hitswich that season  :(

Ipswich Town won The F.A. Cup in 1978, beating Arsenal in the final with a winner from Roger Osbourne, who hardly played again, such was the emotion of his feat. During this cup triumph they recorded only one win over Bristolian opposition, and it wasn't City.

Bristol City played Ipswich Town, in The F.A. Cup, twice in our last visit to the top flight. Both at Ashton Gate, 8th January 1977 (1-4) and 26th January 1980 (1-2). The latter coming only seven days after a league visit from "The Tractor Boys". I remember it well, the league game attracted 14,218 while a week later 19,608 came to watch "the greatest show on earth".

HAPPY DAYS !!!!!

citystats.org.uk

Does being there in 82 raising money for City, and nowadays having other things to do, and get down to a few games at the Gate, and a couple of aways, make me a part timer, oh well in that case,I'm proud of being one then, oh yes and helping the academy too- Part timer and proud of it, like y'all proud of being a full timer.

Stop moaning we are all City fans no matter how any games we do or dont go to, thats the important thing- aint it????

Archived