62% to 38%!! in favour of Norwich?

pillred

I was going to post a similar thing.

I recorded the stats for most of the game

and we never got above 50 per cent possession

for the entire game

We had two shots that had to be saved

and we had SEVEN corners and they had one in the last minute of the game

Maybe they were wearing each others bibs(those performance thingies)

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Norwich are a side who tend to control the ball, first half seemed fairly even to me though.

We had the better of the first half especially, but not necessarily the possession. Similar to Swansea away- boss the game, had less ball.

The half time stats were 45/55, in favour of Norwich, which I was surprised at as I was convinced we had more of the ball and held it well! As for the full time!!!

6 hours ago, pillred said:

were they watching the same game as me or am I just biased, what do you think, because that statistic just seems plain wrong to me.

Have to say, that surprised me. But I think it’s what we did with the ball when in possession that warps your perspective of things. Would also imagine the last 15 minutes didn’t help on the possession stats, we tired & seemingly dropped back. COYR

4 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Have to say, that surprised me. But I think it’s what we did with the ball when in possession that warps your perspective of things. Would also imagine the last 15 minutes didn’t help on the possession stats, we tired & seemingly dropped back. COYR

Good point about the last 15 minutes, which was the same after we scored, as we defended deep then.

Possession stats can be really misleading, probably more so than any other stat. How many games have the teams with far less possession won, specially in these days of counter attacking football. How many times have people on here complained we just pass across the back 4, that would boost possession but does nothing in an attacking sense. Yesterday we had more shots, more shots on target and more corners, more telling I think . It is virtually impossible to press for a full 90, so at times we sat in and let them have the ball for spells , but nothing that really broke our lines. 

They did seem a bit on the low side but possession in itself can be fairly meaningless at times.

In that sense, reminded me a bit of the Cup game in 2015 v West Ham- found some stats that said we had 42% possession in first half (game where Smith had 2 cleared off the line first half). To say how we dominated that half the possession felt the wrong way round!

13 hours ago, pillred said:

were they watching the same game as me or am I just biased, what do you think, because that statistic just seems plain wrong to me.

Never understood the need to look at possession stats. I've seen so many games where we have dominated possession ....yet only carved out something stupid like 2 shots 

You can hold on to the ball all you like but if you don't do anything with it, it's pointless 

Chances created, shots on goal and goals ....when we start dominating those stats, then I'll be happy 

8 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Never understood the need to look at possession stats. I've seen so many games where we have dominated possession ....yet only carved out something stupid like 2 shots 

You can hold on to the ball all you like but if you don't do anything with it, it's pointless 

Chances created, shots on goal and goals ....when we start dominating those stats, then I'll be happy 

agree, as they say it's not what you've got it's how you use it (ooh! err Mrs).

16 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

It can be an indicator of control. Some sides who control the ball likewise control the play, the space.

Leeds under Bielsa for example seem to have a fair bit of both, Norwich a lot of the time likewise (though not yesterday which is to our credit)! Not so sound as Leeds defensively either Norwich.

Whereas Swansea vs us, had more ball but we dominated the other aspects- plus we had 56% was it v Preston but one shot on target.

Middlesbrough under Pulis usually tend to control the space maybe the shots- certainly shots conceded- but possession not really a priority.

29 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I posted this before back at the forum said that we , at that time , wehad won only one game (Hull IIRC) where we dom8nated % possession LJ 

I havnt checked it , surprised me at time 

Just had a look at random wins/losses, I think it sort of proves the point.

Ipswich 3-2 45/55 %

Preston 0-1 56/44 %

Reading 2-3 60/40 %

Sheff W 1-2 58/42 % %

Sheff U 1-0. 43/57 %

Blackburn 4-1 48/52 %

14 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

? let’s have a people’s vote so we can change it after the result,I’m going for 75% city 25% Norwich because facts don’t seem to matter nowadays 

Well if the majority still want it then I guess another vote will give the same results 

55 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just had a look at random wins/losses, I think it sort of proves the point.

Ipswich 3-2 45/55 %

Preston 0-1 56/44 %

Reading 2-3 60/40 %

Sheff W 1-2 58/42 % %

Sheff U 1-0. 43/57 %

Blackburn 4-1 48/52 %

Interesting- seen those stats before myself.

Does it then suggest we're better without the ball?

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting- seen those stats before myself.

Does it then suggest we're better without the ball?

It is actually a tactic used by several teams. Not saying that teams can't / won't hold the ball, but teams like Leicester are so good on the break they are happy to concede possession and bring teams on to them. I'm not sure we are the same as that, but we do allow teams a lot of the ball. If we can keep passing like we did yesterday stats might improve, the other side is when we are holding a point or three, we tend to sit deep concede possession and space, give teams space and they will have more of the ball. 

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

It is actually a tactic used by several teams. Not saying that teams can't / won't hold the ball, but teams like Leicester are so good on the break they are happy to concede possession and bring teams on to them. I'm not sure we are the same as that, but we do allow teams a lot of the ball. If we can keep passing like we did yesterday stats might improve, the other side is when we are holding a point or three, we tend to sit deep concede possession and space, give teams space and they will have more of the ball. 

I know- Millwall last season a prime example at our level. Birmingham under Monk are definitely not a side who look to dominate the ball- to name 2 examples. Rowett at Birmingham and Stoke similar

We do concede space when ahead, that's why you need a 3rd man in central midfield to wrest back the initiative I feel- even if yesterday our starting shape, Morrell off the bench- and had Hegeler been on bench I'd have considered sticking him on last 20 with instructions to defend, screen, block- either in the central '3' or between defence and midfield to ease a bit of pressure on Pack and Brownhill.

Morrell was on bench but is he a naturally minded defensive type midfielder?

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I know- Millwall last season a prime example at our level. Birmingham under Monk are definitely not a side who look to dominate the ball- to name 2 examples. Rowett at Birmingham and Stoke similar

We do concede space when ahead, that's why you need a 3rd man in central midfield to wrest back the initiative I feel- even if yesterday our starting shape, Morrell off the bench- and had Hegeler been on bench I'd have considered sticking him on last 20 with instructions to defend, screen, block- either in the central '3' or between defence and midfield to ease a bit of pressure on Pack and Brownhill.

Morrell was on bench but is he a naturally minded defensive type midfielder?

'Rowett at Birmingham and Stoke' should have read 'Rowett at Birmingham and Derby'.

Archived