IGNORED

The Championship FFP Thread (Merged)

Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Rob26 said:

so am I right in thinking you can put in what you want while in league one, but if your promoted with it that is not money left in the tank that you can now use as your income now, your just assessed on your last 3 years as if you were in the championship all along?

Yep.

It's a really inteddting scenario this Birmogjam one, it hasn't fully been tested.

Derby were under monitoring.

Sheffield Wednesday were kind of under monitoring of sorts.

Ipswich had years of austerity and were taken over with strong and pretty much past Championship P&S.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a really inteddting scenario this Birmogjam one, it hasn't fully been tested.

Derby were under monitoring.

Sheffield Wednesday were kind of under monitoring of sorts.

Ipswich had years of austerity and were taken over with strong and pretty much past Championship P&S.

Yeah, Ipswich had a lot more wiggle room than Brum will.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, Ipswich had a lot more wiggle room than Brum will.  

All of these hut particularly Ipswich with their wiggle room took consideration of the next year or 2 in the Championship in the what of promotion albeit costs were rising.

If the £20m is true Birmingham not so much albeit they may sell players too as I'm sure not all want to stay post relegation or loan some out for a loan fee and wages covered say with the hope of a quick Championship return so there are lots of moving parts.

Posted (edited)

Has the Edit time dropped?

I was going to edit certain spelling mistakes as I was touch typing with predictive text to a degree.

All of these but particularly Ipswich with their wiggle room took consideration of the next year or 2 in the Championship in the year of promotion albeit costs were rising.

If the £20m is true Birmingham not so much albeit they may sell players too, as I'm sure not all want to stay post relegation or loan some out for a loan fee and wages covered say.

The latter might be done with the hope of a quick Championship return so there are multiple moving parts at play.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Interesting note in the Express and Star. West Midlands local paper.

Deloitte analysis shows that Championship wages in 2022-23 fell to just 94.5% of turnover. Progress!

Said the lowest since 2016-17- could mean as a %, or as a total wage outlay.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2024/06/25/championship-clubs-tighten-belts-on-wage-costs-as-figures-drop/

11 hours ago, Rob26 said:

so am I right in thinking you can put in what you want while in league one, but if your promoted with it that is not money left in the tank that you can now use as your income now, your just assessed on your last 3 years as if you were in the championship all along?

Yep

There is an advantage that can be gamed to some extent in Div 1.  However any club relegated in year 1 from the Championship, spends in year 2 in Div 1, and then promoted in year 3 is likely to be heavily constrained in year 3 due to the likely losses in year 1.

As a side note SCMP below the Championship is effectively an annual cash in, cash out basis.  So adding more cash than you need in a Div 1 year, will not help under either sytem.

• Thanks 1

No news as such but Reading accounts due by the end of the week. For the 2022-23 season, see also the Parent Renhe Sports Management.

Another who are dragging their feet would be Man United and their 3rd Quarter results made up between January 1st-March 31st 2024. Unsure when the NYSE deadline is for this- @ExiledAjax @Hxj any ideas?

2 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Usually 45 days, driven by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

Thanks. Working days I assume..anyway what I notice about Manchester United is that the better the results financially the quicker they release.

Commonplace I guess, they have been dragging if out in recent years.

Leeds are now confident that the Gray sale will fix the FFP question.

I would concur with that assessment. My estimate to 2024-25 was in the £20-55m range and that being subject to a few moving parts ie the JKA payoff or otherwise and how it is accounted for.

This is possibly dated with the Tottenham stuff but.

Leicester however wow.

They would likely have had to lose Maresca for compensation and sell KDH just to get fixed for period ending 2024 had they stayed down and then fix another £30-50m standalone hole in 2024-25 by my estimates.

By which I mean that amount of Player Sales or base improvement just to get back level.

Inclusive of e.g. Vestegaard, Ndidi, Praet, Albrighton, Ilenacho and Vardy all parting and the loanees too.

While since I've looked at them in depth tbh.

There are so many different conflicting reports around.

I'd have thought Chelsea should be right up there for a potential breach but clearly not. Nottingham Forest got it over the line late on, seemingly likewise.

Everton seem confident although their sales are down on last year and I wonder. Aston Villa should be fine. Newcastle- they are fine but just by the sound of it. £50-60m PSR hole??

https://archive.ph/2024.07.01-063902/https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5599305/2024/07/01/newcastle-psr-player-sales/

Championship I don't think anyone else was forecasting a breach aside from Leicester but we shall see in the coming days and weeks no doubt.

I'm forever intrigued by Bournemouth and to an extent Fulham.

Telegraph article also infers that the Black Hole for FFP at Newcastle was £50-60m which is shocking. However they seem to have just got there in time.

Man United 3rd Quarter results are out on 10th which is incredibly late given the quarter ie 3 months made up to March 31st 2024!!

I forgot to add on Newcastle the Athletic article rightly talks up their income growth but neglects to mention:

1) While revenue from sponsorship etc rises, dropping out of CL to no Europe at all will offset some.

2) £70m or so loss drops off and the absolutely helps but 2022-23 was also a £70m or so loss.

3) If they had a frankly staggering £50-60m overspend despite CL, assorted rises in revenue and the Saint-Maximn 8 figure profit, well large Operating Losses may still remain.

A few of these will be worth close scrutiny to 2024-25, ie the 3 years from 2022-23 to the upcoming season.

Reading Accounts for 2022-23.

Used a loophole that is hard to fathom to extend for 3 months, see also Renhe Sports Management.

Were due albeit 3 months extended for reasons unknown on Sunday, still showing as overdue- EFL should Embargo them again until they are out.

Looks like the PL are investigating certain Transfers and rightly so.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/04/premier-league-set-to-scrutinise-unofficial-deadline-day-transfers

On a side note, some Derby fans are comparing and contrasting, retrospective rule changes one such claim.

What some Derby fans who moan about a retrospective Rule change is that there would have been a huge crunch to 2020-21 or backdating impairment or whatever even had they won their case about the specific Amortisation method.

They would have almost certainly failed anyway, just a matter of when.