IGNORED

Emiliano Sala

Negan

1 hour ago, Super said:

Sources have informed Ouest-France that the plane now missing that had Emiliano Sala on board had difficulties in taking off from Nantes airport & had to attempt the procedure 3 or 4 times before successfully ending up in the air http://bit.ly/SalaMissing

Sounds like a rank amateur pilot. Dear oh dear. Should have abandoned after the first attempt. I have flown many of these single and twin engine planes and never would they keep attempting to take off. Absolutely crazy pilot. These flights should obviously be contractually banned. So sad.

Edited by havanatopia

1 hour ago, Super said:

Sources have informed Ouest-France that the plane now missing that had Emiliano Sala on board had difficulties in taking off from Nantes airport & had to attempt the procedure 3 or 4 times before successfully ending up in the air http://bit.ly/SalaMissing

14 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Sounds like a rank amateur pilot. Dear oh dear. Should have abandoned after the first attempt. I have flown many of these single and twin engine planes and never would they keep attempting to take off. Absolutely crazy pilot. These flights should obviously be contractually banned. So sad.

Absolutely. I know nothing about flying planes, and wouldnt even start to make suggestions other than after 1 failed takeoff, a 2nd shouldn't have taken place, let alone 3 or 4!!

Hopefully this has a positive ending, but it really doesnt look likely does it.

17 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Before jumping to a conclusion, should remember these are 'sources' telling a newspaper, and the French civil aviation authority spokesman could not confirm that was correct. The pilot is also (looking likely) to be a victim in all of this. Should wait for the confirmation and investigation before labelling someone crazy or rank amateur. 

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Taz said:

Absolutely. I know nothing about flying planes, and wouldnt even start to make suggestions other than after 1 failed takeoff, a 2nd shouldn't have taken place, let alone 3 or 4!!

Hopefully this has a positive ending, but it really doesnt look likely does it.

Reminds me of the Munich air disaster (if true ) !

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Though I've got vague memories hearing about the benefit match, I'd never known that City were invited into the Millwall end - given our mutual dislike of each other and ongoing 'history', it's a warming twist to a dreadful story. 

Whilst there's no City connection to this current situation, I'd be certain we'd all be willing to suspend hostilities for the briefest of times to show solidarity. Horrifying story this about the pilot and Sala, and it's encouraging at least that we can put differences aside when push comes to shove. 

Keeping fingers crossed for a miracle. 

I travelled to the match by car with some friends. I'm not sure if there was an official coach laid on. There was a fair few red shirts in the home end. When we arrived outside the ground Tony Cascarino was signing autographs so we went and spoke with him and he suggested we go in the home end. No trouble whatsoever and no rival banter. I think everyone was just united in the memory of Dean. Having said that there was a healthy contingent of Reading fans who had chosen to go in the away end! The Millwall fans stood with us were joking that Reading were too scared to go in the home end!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Before jumping to a conclusion, should remember these are 'sources' telling a newspaper, and the French civil aviation authority spokesman could not confirm that was correct. The pilot is also (looking likely) to be a victim in all of this. Should wait for the confirmation and investigation before labelling someone crazy or rank amateur. 

Common sense should tell you i am basing those remarks on the french press. Based on that report and taking it on face value the pilot made approximately 3 decisional errors. I did say it was 'so sad' so dont jump on me.

If the french press is wrong then obviously that changes things.

Get French Football News @GFFN

Breaking | Emiliano Sala travelled from Cardiff to Nantes with the same plane he left with. When he arrived in Nantes, he told team-mate Nicolas Pallois that the trip had been bumpy & he feared his safety for the journey back, according to @dphelippeau.

I don't think this story will have a happy ending. Seems as though he was lucky to get back to France on the first flight. 

12 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Common sense should tell you i am basing those remarks on the french press. Based on that report and taking it on face value the pilot made approximately 3 decisional errors. I did say it was 'so sad' so dont jump on me.

If the french press is wrong then obviously that changes things.

That's fair and I do understand that. I don't mean to jump on you, it's just that my own opinion is that before speaking ill of the (seemingly) dead, even if based on immediate reports from a press desperately hungry to provide any sort of update or snippet, especially in a situation such as this, it would be better to just express condolences and see what comes out after the event after a proper investigation has been able to take place.  

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, bris red said:

I know air travel is one of the safest forms of travel but there is something about small prop planes that never fills me with much confidence. Hope they are found safe ?

I used to work for a company that maintained small planes (not the model involved here but similar style and size). I was never involved in the maintenance and repair myself but a lot of the blokes who were said that you couldn't pay them to fly in one. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I used to work for a company that maintained small planes (not the model involved here but similar style and size). I was never involved in the maintenance and repair myself but a lot of the blokes who were said that you couldn't pay them to fly in one. 

NR, not always the case. I owned a 2 seater Cessna  Aerobat and had a few 'hairy moments' but it never let me down. Like everything mechanical, if you keep it in good order, it wont bite you in the bum. Many factors are involved in the loss of an aircraft and as usual, the media love to speculate without having the facts and for those we will have to wait.

• Like 3

1/2 During the course of the 15-hour search, which used multiple air and sea assets from the Channel Islands, UK and France, a number of floating objects have been seen in the water. We have been unable to confirm whether any of these are from the missing aircraft.
2/2 We have found no signs of those on board. If they did land on the water, the chances of survival are at this stage, unfortunately, slim. Two planes and a lifeboat are still searching. A decision about an overnight search will be taken shortly
Edited by Super

25 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

NR, not always the case. I owned a 2 seater Cessna  Aerobat and had a few 'hairy moments' but it never let me down. Like everything mechanical, if you keep it in good order, it wont bite you in the bum. Many factors are involved in the loss of an aircraft and as usual, the media love to speculate without having the facts and for those we will have to wait.

I understand your argument.

I note from your avatar (and previous postings) that you are a scooter fan, and I used to ride a Lambretta, maintained by my father, who used to ride a Vespa, but knew how to maintain both.

My (mechanical) knowledge of bikes was non-existent, but I had faith in my father and (relative) confidence that, if there was ever a mechanical problem, as long as I wasn't driving too fast, I should be OK.

I don't think I would have had the same confidence in a plane, 5/10,000 feet up in the air, no matter had maintained it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueDredd said:

Football is irrelevant on a day like today. A young family man has lost his life after securing himself a new future, and the thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.

Thank you to all the BCFC fans that have sent their thoughts to our club and putting rivalry aside. Despite us not having the chance to see him play, he was a Cardiff City player and a fellow Bluebird nonetheless.

Respect to Bristol City.

I couldn't agree more, BlueDredd.

Thoughts with everybody connected to the young guy today and also Cardiff City FC

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlueDredd said:

Football is irrelevant on a day like today. A young family man has lost his life after securing himself a new future, and the thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.

Thank you to all the BCFC fans that have sent their thoughts to our club and putting rivalry aside. Despite us not having the chance to see him play, he was a Cardiff City player and a fellow Bluebird nonetheless.

Respect to Bristol City.

Apparently genuinely thrilled to have got a chance to play in Premier League apparently - so sad

Knowing Neil Warnock he will use this to galvanise the players / squad

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BlueDredd said:

Respect to Bristol City.

Football Family. Thoughts are with Cardiff and Nantes and families involved.

• Like 7

Search operation suspended until tomorrow morning.

Realistically, even if they had somehow survived the crash, it would take an absolute miracle for them to survive a second night at sea. It seems impossible to see a way this won't have a tragic end.

Deeply, deeply sad for all concerned, especially the families of Sala and the pilot.

34 minutes ago, BlueDredd said:

Respect to Bristol City.

Our thoughts are with you. When we lost a player in a car crash just three games after we signed him in the 1989-90 season it seemed to galvanize the players who continued with their promotion push and ultimately achieved it. Cardiff can honour what, sadly, seems to be the passing of this player, after a period of reflection, by achieving safety in the Premier League.

Thoughts also go to his family, his football family at Nantes and to the pilot's family.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I understand your argument.

I note from your avatar (and previous postings) that you are a scooter fan, and I used to ride a Lambretta, maintained by my father, who used to ride a Vespa, but knew how to maintain both.

My (mechanical) knowledge of bikes was non-existent, but I had faith in my father and (relative) confidence that, if there was ever a mechanical problem, as long as I wasn't driving too fast, I should be OK.

I don't think I would have had the same confidence in a plane, 5/10,000 feet up in the air, no matter had maintained it. 

Yep Phil, still ride Lammies and Vespa's. Am an old but bold ex RAF technician and from the word go, safety was my main concern. Sadly can tell you stories of guys who were not so safety conscious . My old man was Fleet Air Arm Aircrew so I inherited a confidence in what I was flying ( as I used to do Aerobatics) and was actually taught by a lady instructor who adhered to the rules. Can understand your feelings though.

1 hour ago, BlueDredd said:

Respect to Bristol City.

Blue, exactly right, on footie matters we are rivals, but this is a tragedy for all football fans.  On a personal point, I've been following Sala's transfer closely for the last week and was looking forward to seeing him play and whether he would fire in the goals to keep you up.  Here's hoping there's a happy ending and he is still found, surviving somehow.

Sala and the pilot, we hope you are still alive and waiting to be found.

• Like 3

Just had a look on his social media, and from what I can gather he was extremely excited to be going to a premier League club. On one of his social media pages the last post was a picture with him and his old team mates. Seemed like a genuine guy who really cared about football and making a better life for himself...my heart goes out to all affected by this. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Robin1988 said:

Yeah they will be looking at the plane, they'll be looking at everything. I know everyone on the internet likes to be an expert on everything but do we have to pretend we have the first clue about the ins and outs of civil aviation before he's even been found?

With the greatest respect at no time have i ever pretended to have any aviation knowledge, or claim to be an expert, so please don't exagerate. i have travelled over the channel at night in a single engined Cessna . Of course I  feel sorry for everyone concerned, and I'm certain it will all be throughly investigated. It's merely a point of view.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

With the greatest respect at no time have i ever pretended to have any aviation knowledge, or claim to be an expert, so please don't exagerate. i have travelled over the channel at night in a single engined Cessna . Of course I  feel sorry for everyone concerned, and I'm certain it will all be throughly investigated. It's merely a point of view.

It was meant for the guy who made the original point, not you. But anyway, we know barely anything about the incidents surrounding the accident. Why is now the time for inquests about how Cardiff transport their players? It seems very crass to me.

Edited by Robin1988

4 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

It was meant for the guy who made the original point, not you. But anyway, we know barely anything about the incidents surrounding the accident. Why is now the time for inquests about how Cardiff transport their players? It seems very crass to me.

It may be nothing to do with Cardiff. He might have made his own travel arrangements.

• Like 1

Guest LordNinian

I want to echo the earlier sentiments of Latcher and Bluedredd for the way in which the OTIB forum has responded to this dreadful news. Thank you, and respect.

Just signed up to say thanks for the comments on here. Football and our rivalry is rightly irrelevant today.

You guys have shown a lot of class here today.

28 minutes ago, TH63 said:

Just signed up to say thanks for the comments on here. Football and our rivalry is rightly irrelevant today.

You guys have shown a lot of class here today.

Times like this, who you support is irrelevant. People have died, and anyone who doesn’t think what has happened here is tragic isn’t human. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
39 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

OK......

What I implied was why don’t they have them fitted?

The regulations don’t require it, the weight was a big factor, but now data recorders can be so light and small, it looks like they will come under the regs in future, so that might extend to location transponders.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/NPA 2017-03.pdf

• Like 1

• Admin

It’s looking like a terrible tragedy, such a sad loss of a young man embarking on a new chapter in his career.  As has been said, interclub and even inter country rivalry has no place whilst this news is still raw.  I well remember our own upset and subsequent truce with Millwall after Dean Horrix died, so can only empathise with those involved.

• Like 1

Speaking of football family, this is the club which lost its entire team in a plane crash just over two years ago. They are praying for a quick answer and hope they’ll be found well, adding they still believe that Sala will give much enjoyment to football lovers.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Very sad news. 

My mind immediately thought back to the late 80’s when we’d signed Dean Horrix. He made a superb debut away at Shrews and then tragically died in a car crash the next day. 

Very sad situation for the player and pilot’s families and also for Cardiff. 

Exactly what went through my mind too. Horrific news all round.

Thoughts are with CCFC of course, but a special shout out to his loved ones. I can't even begin to imagine the hell they are going through...not knowing for sure what happened and the agonising wait for updates. I'd love to say that theres some hope but it doesn't look likely based on the evidence so far. Just horrible. :(

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Sent a voice message saying the plane was falling apart. So sad.

"I'm on a plane that looks like it's going to fall apart, and I'm leaving for Cardiff," Sala said in a WhatsApp audio message carried by Argentine media.

"If in an hour and a half you have no news from me, I don't know if they will send people to look for me, because they will not find me, you know. Dad, I'm so scared," he added.

:( Surely someone checks that planes are fit to fly? 

16 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

"I'm on a plane that looks like it's going to fall apart, and I'm leaving for Cardiff," Sala said in a WhatsApp audio message carried by Argentine media.

"If in an hour and a half you have no news from me, I don't know if they will send people to look for me, because they will not find me, you know. Dad, I'm so scared," he added.

OMG that’s awful ?

15 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Well going by that message, and the previous comments about making numerous attempts to take off, I'd say that somebody didn't check that one. If, of course, this is all true.

Realistically, this is now going to go one of two ways - bodies are found, or no bodies are found, and the people on board are presumed dead. Tragic, and what makes it even worse, is that the more you hear, the more it looks like the plane should never have been in the air in the first place.

43 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

bloody hell, that's just beyond crazy.... 

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

I can only quote about hot air balloons as I know about them, but they have a yearly MOT, a C of A ( certificate of airworthiness). The pilots also log every flying hour it does in a log book.  I guess it’s the same or stricter for any aircraft. Hot air pilots also do a load of pre flight checks, testing all equipment throughly and also a full visual check of the balloon, basket etc. Even if they have flown earlier that day they do the checks throughly again if they fly a few hours later, it’s something drummed into them, they don’t cut corners. Many passengers might think the pilot is ignoring their questions, but it’s because he/she is concentrating on safety.

I would think any pilot of any aircraft would do the same. Obviously things can suddenly fail, the helicopter of the Leicester owner a couple of months ago. 

Each flying craft has a registration G- xxxx if they are registered in the UK, there are websites you can look up ownership etc, sometimes details such as lightening strikes are noted. 

The message you quote is alarming of course, but this was probably the smallest plane the player had ever been on. Every rattle is going to be more frightening compared to a jumbo jet. I’m in no way dismissing his concerns, which have been proven, but just saying most people wouldn’t find it a comfortable experience I don’t think.

i am surprised such small planes are used to fly at night. Not saying if something was going to happen leaving it a few hours later until daylight would have had a different outcome, but surely the darkness didn’t help the search and rescue. I know they have thermal imaging etc. A very sad situation for all involved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Well going by that message, and the previous comments about making numerous attempts to take off, I'd say that somebody didn't check that one. If, of course, this is all true.

Realistically, this is now going to go one of two ways - bodies are found, or no bodies are found, and the people on board are presumed dead. Tragic, and what makes it even worse, is that the more you hear, the more it looks like the plane should never have been in the air in the first place.

The PA-46 has been well known for engine reliability issues/general servicing difficulty for many years-even to the point of lawsuit.

By reports maintaining 2000ft before disappearing from radar-which is really no safety margin to play with in crappy weather....

Thoughts with family/friends of those involved-and that there are answers to the many questions to be addressed..

Edited by Robert the bruce

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I can only quote about hot air balloons as I know about them, but they have a yearly MOT, a C of A ( certificate of airworthiness). The pilots also log every flying hour it does in a log book.  I guess it’s the same or stricter for any aircraft. Hot air pilots also do a load of pre flight checks, testing all equipment throughly and also a full visual check of the balloon, basket etc. Even if they have flown earlier that day they do the checks throughly again if they fly a few hours later, it’s something drummed into them, they don’t cut corners. Many passengers might think the pilot is ignoring their questions, but it’s because he/she is concentrating on safety.

I would think any pilot of any aircraft would do the same. Obviously things can suddenly fail, the helicopter of the Leicester owner a couple of months ago. 

Each flying craft has a registration G- xxxx if they are registered in the UK, there are websites you can look up ownership etc, sometimes details such as lightening strikes are noted. 

The message you quote is alarming of course, but this was probably the smallest plane the player had ever been on. Every rattle is going to be more frightening compared to a jumbo jet. I’m in no way dismissing his concerns, which have been proven, but just saying most people wouldn’t find it a comfortable experience I don’t think.

i am surprised such small planes are used to fly at night. Not saying if something was going to happen leaving it a few hours later until daylight would have had a different outcome, but surely the darkness didn’t help the search and rescue. I know they have thermal imaging etc. A very sad situation for all involved.

Indeed. One thing also worth mentioning is the plane was presumably flown by a qualified pilot who presumably knew the plane, would have been experienced flying it and would have been risking their own life if they took off when they did not believe it to be safe to do so.

Of course, people make errors or reckless decisions in all walks of life but I do think people need to be a bit careful over-speculating as we are effectively making assumptions about the judgement and competence of a man who is likely to have also died in this incident. Once the plane is found, there will obviously be an investigation that will hopefully uncover any mistakes made or lessons to be learned but I do feel it a bit premature for us to speculate too much on what has happened.

• Like 3

This is from the BBC site, the person quoted is the Cardiff City Chairman:

The "family of football has a way of coming together at times of tragedy," Mr Dalman told BBC Radio Wales' Good Morning Wales programme.

He also confirmed that the club had not booked the plane for the trip, adding that Sala had "made his own arrangements".

"We will not leave a single stone unturned until we have all the facts," added Mr Dalman.

37 minutes ago, RedM said:

This is from the BBC site, the person quoted is the Cardiff City Chairman:

He also confirmed that the club had not booked the plane for the trip, adding that Sala had "made his own arrangements".

"We will not leave a single stone unturned until we have all the facts," added Mr Dalman.

The facts will undoubtedly out in the coming days, but the French press said yesterday that the plane belonged to Cardiff's 'owner'.

The local press have also quoted Sala's vocal WhatsApp message, wherein he says he is scared that the plane is going to fall apart, but I would imagine (hope!) that, as @RedM suggested in an earlier post, this was just the view of somebody unfamiliar with flying in such small planes.

Over the years, I have flown (as a passenger) in numerous small planes throughout France, including a horrific flight from Brest where the plane was so small that I had to crouch to get to my seat, and whilst I confess to having been extremely nervous (read - scared shitless) - it was also raining heavily at the time - the sight of the sole stewardess laughing at me and my obvious fear seemed, in some strange way,  to calm me down: she was obviously used to the daily journey, whereas I could only compare it to some Disney-like horror ride.  

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Red, concur with that. As stated earlier I used to own a Cessna Aerobat which I operated from Lulsgate.Because I rented it back to the flying club, it was on what was called a Public Transport C of A. This entailed an annual check plus a check every 60 days , even if it had not been flown. It got costly in this country ( because of the engineering fees, hangarage etc ) so I had to sell it. I have flown 6 seaters to France and once , loaded with passengers, and duty free in the hold, whilst doing pre take off checks, a magneto fault was highlighted, so back to the flying club and abandon of trip. The call is always with the Pilot and I for one flew safe as I valued my life, but being trained in the RAF helped. I flew many variants up to a Jet Provost but the simple laws are still there. Weather. State of aircraft. Is the pilot certified on Night flying and also Instrument Flying. Slowly we will know the truth so until we hear the total facts, we can only make assumptions based on our knowledge.

Edited by oldstandrobin
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

This genuinely makes me feel sick, I hate flying, the idea of getting on a plane that looks like it's going to fall apart and then doesn't start, no way I would have got on it.
What I don't understand is why he got on it, surely after making a big money transfer he would have been in a position to say "I don't feel comfortable getting on that plane!". That said, I suppose it's easy to say that with hindsight. I just can't imagine what his father must be thinking right now.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

This genuinely makes me feel sick, I hate flying, the idea of getting on a plane that looks like it's going to fall apart and then doesn't start, no way I would have got on it.
What I don't understand is why he got on it, surely after making a big money transfer he would have been in a position to say "I don't feel comfortable getting on that plane!". That said, I suppose it's easy to say that with hindsight. I just can't imagine what his father must be thinking right now.

I've been considering that, and it's the reason I don't believe the veracity of these messages.  You simply wouldn't risk getting on a plane that you didn't feel comfortable with, and the pilot wouldn't fly it if there were any issues, you would presume.

This is probably all fabricated on the internet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I've been considering that, and it's the reason I don't believe the veracity of these messages.  You simply wouldn't risk getting on a plane that you didn't feel comfortable with, and the pilot wouldn't fly it if there were any issues, you would presume.

This is probably all fabricated on the internet.

I wouldn't agree, I think there's many instances in life you do things you're uncomfortable with under the reasoning "it'll never happen to me".

You simply don't expect to die while travelling in the developed world. 

Further, I'd speculate a lot goes down to a person's character. Doubt he wanted to miss his first day in training because he was 'scared of getting on a plane' or look like a skiving big time charlie by missing his first session, etc., etc. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I wouldn't agree, I think there's many instances in life you do things you're uncomfortable with under the reasoning "it'll never happen to me".

You simply don't expect to die while travelling in the developed world. 

Further, I'd speculate a lot goes down to a person's character. Doubt he wanted to miss his first day in training because he was 'scared of getting on a plane' or look like a skiving big time charlie by missing his first session, etc., etc. 

The other thing is you trust the pilot. I once boarded a commercial flight that was delayed for two hours, then had what was announced as a “final attempt to to see if we can fix it tonight” and then, once we had all boarded, had a power cut-out when they turned it on before taxiing. I was scared and concerned when they still carried on anyway but said nothing as I rationalised the pilots knew what they were doing, it was a commercial air company that had a reputation to protect and so it must be safe or else they would not be doing it. Often you just assume and trust professionals know what they are doing.

• Like 1