IGNORED

442 Football Rich List

Guest BridgyRed

Guest BridgyRed

442 magazine today published a football rich list listing the 100 wealthiest people in British football. Two are current City directors.

=89. Archie Gooch: worth £16 million

=67. Keith Dawe: worth £25 million

Have we seen any of this money????????? surely it wouldnt harm them to put some money into improving the team ( if they have, I'm unaware so I apologise ). I think a few nice christmas cards wouldnt go amiss here.

Theres no mention of Steve Lansdown even though he was in The Times top 1000th richest men in britain earlier this year.

Others of note:-

1 Roman Abramovich £5,500m

=43 David Beckham £60m

=54 Scam Hamman £40m

My mistake it is Archie Gooch. Does anyone know how I can edit my original post?

On the old forum you could only edit it within 30 minutes of it first being posted. Not sure if it's the same on here?

Old chestnut this one, but very important to remind ourselves of something that has been mentioned on numerous occasions.

We have the richest board in history & that hopefully insures we are in good hands for the future.

But these guys are businessmen & won't be interested in pumping in millions of their own cash if they didn't get some return on investment.

Many fans (me included) maybe would take a different view if we had personal fortunes, as our money may well be spent for the passion rather than business reasons.

Being successful local businessmen in control of a football club, gives good kudos to the customers & I understand Sanderson & Hargreaves Lansdown have good corperate deals at most games. :Confused13:

We all know that little (if no) money will be made out of football & it has to be a real passion to part with millions just to see YOUR TEAM succeed.The current Board have done a job in stabilising & moving the club forward & it is safe in the knowledge that we have a mega rich Board.

They are using their business sense rather than their passion for the club as the key to success.

Madjeski to me is the mix of both - Business & passion in achieving the dream for his home town team.

Dawe is a staunch Spurs fan, made good within Bristol business & if the success didn't come with the current approach would he stay around? :Confused13:

One thing for sure, as key local businessmen I would think they could be seen to fail in their investment.

LONG MAY IT CONTINUE - I for one have questioned motives, but as long as this club moves forward & until a rich Davidson comes back. The current board gives us all confidence in moving this club forward. :Party27:

What do you think has happene to all our losses. Ours assets cannot possibly be more than our losses of the last few years. So why didn't the banks try to close us down? Because some rich men invest money in the club to keep it going. And I for one thank them for that.

AND we bought two players for an amount that was higher than we recieved for another well known player.

I'd also like to point out although these directors are worth alot dosent necessarily mean they've got that amount of money to spend.

Archie Gooch for example: Worth £16 million - this maybe made up by properties he owns of businesses he owns and he may have only say half million in his bank account!

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I think it's unfair of us to always be looking at the directors to invest huge sums of money into the playing squad - This doesn't mean success and isn't sustainable for a club like ours.

The dream scenario of having a Bristol City that is profit making seems impossible, and as such I'm quite happy if directors only cover our losses.

They are using their business sense rather than their passion for the club as the key to success.

For someone with supposedly no passion for the club, Steve Lansdown spends an awful lot of time answering fans' questions, travelling to practically every game each season, commentating on the first team for Radio Bristol, managing the forum team etc. etc.

Business interest yes, but to accuse him of lacking passion for the club is false as any right-minded person who has heard him speak would agree.

This thread has the potential to cover a lot of ground again.......... :(

<br /> For someone with supposedly no passion for the club, Steve Lansdown spends an awful lot of time answering fans' questions, travelling to practically every game each season, commentating on the first team for Radio Bristol, managing the forum team etc. etc.

Business interest yes, but to accuse him of lacking passion for the club is false as any right-minded person who has heard him speak would agree.

You little monkey, you can take the boy out of bishopston but you can't take........

You knew exactly what he meant and the context in which he said it............................

<br /> You little monkey, you can take the boy out of bishopston but you can't take........

You knew exactly what he meant and the context in which he said it............................

Yep, he meant it as a none-too-subtle snide dig at the Chairman and rather than let it go unchallenged I thought I'd post a riposte - for old times sake if nothing else. :(

I am at a loss to understand why you feel that the current directors do not have a passion for the game and City.

Yes the directors are businessmen, but they would not be on the board of City for business reasons only.

There are much easiers ways to make money then being on the board of a 2nd division football club.

I have every confidence in the board !

Old chestnut this one, but very important to remind ourselves of something that has been mentioned on numerous occasions.

We have the richest board in history & that hopefully insures we are in good hands for the future.

But these guys are businessmen & won't be interested in pumping in millions of their own cash if they didn't get some return on investment.

Many fans (me included) maybe would take a different view if we had personal fortunes, as our money may well be spent for the passion rather than business reasons.

Being successful local businessmen in control of a football club, gives good kudos to the customers & I understand Sanderson & Hargreaves Lansdown have good corperate deals at most games. :Confused13:

We all know that little (if no) money will be made out of football & it has to be a real passion to part with millions just to see YOUR TEAM succeed.The current Board have done a job in stabilising & moving the club forward & it is safe in the knowledge that we have a mega rich Board.

Madjeski to me is the mix of both - Business & passion in achieving the dream for his home town team.

Dawe is a staunch Spurs fan, made good within Bristol business & if the success didn't come with the current approach would he stay around? :Confused13:

One thing for sure, as key local businessmen I would think they could be seen to fail in their investment.

LONG MAY IT CONTINUE - I for one have questioned motives, but as long as this club moves forward & until a rich Davidson comes back. The current board gives us all confidence in moving this club forward. :Party27:

SL tackled this issue head-on in his AGM presentation. He had one slide entitled "Passion vs Stategic Growth" or somesuch. I must say I was impressed with his arguments and he definitely went a considerable way to explaining how we are making progress with the accountants whilst also fielding, what he hopes to be, a more competitive team.

You're right though Richie; SL is not the type to come in and spend in a way like Abramovich (sp?) or even good old fuggin' Al-Fayed (seems a more appropriate comparison considering our current league posish). It would seem we need to find a wealthy foreigner who wishes to engratiate himself with Parliament and the passport office for that to happen.

We can but dream and, in the meantime, SL's the man for the job.

A fascinating post, richieb but I am a little confused as to what you really mean.

Cheers, thought the forum was due something fascinating!

“LONG MAY IT CONTINUE”

Long may what continue?

The financial support of the local businessmen.

“I for one have questioned motives, but as long as this club moves forward & until a rich Davidson comes back.”

Are you suggesting that the current Board is OK to keep the hand on the tiller until someone with similar money and more passion comes along?

Interesting one this one.And there is no doubting SL has passion for football & Bristol City FC.But my personal opinion is that we had our own Madjeski in SD.

SL has developed a grand rapour with the faithful & has gained respect from the way he has dealt with fans alike. But I don't believe anyone could replicate the passion SD had for this club.

Do you still question the Board members’ motives?

A big fat - NO. But still many questions un answered. History now though.

Are you saying you want to see Scott Davidson, himself come back with more money or that SD had the right qualities but insufficient dosh?

Without doubt, SD would get my vote every time.And too much cr@p was laid at his doorstep by the current regime.Given the dosh & SD's vision & passion, I believe certain aspects of this club(marketing,merchandising etc) would be in a different league now.

:(

<br /> For someone with supposedly no passion for the club, Steve Lansdown spends an awful lot of time answering fans' questions, travelling to practically every game each season, commentating on the first team for Radio Bristol, managing the forum team etc. etc.

Bis, I for one wouldn't say SL dosn't have a certain passion for BCFC.

He certainly has thrown his desire behind making success for this club.

My point was more about local businessmen taking an interest rather than long life fans (Davidson, Madjeski).

SL has built up a great rappour with the fans & with this comes a passion for success for BCFC. - Brilliant

<br /> Yep, he meant it as a none-too-subtle snide dig at the Chairman and rather than let it go unchallenged I thought I'd post a riposte - for old times sake if nothing else. :(

Bis,please be assured that my response was in no way meant as a dig at SL.

He more than anyone has worked hard to get this club back on track.

My comments were generalisations & thoughts on how things are. (imho)

;)

<br /> Bis,please be assured that my response was in no way meant as a dig at SL.

He more than anyone has worked hard to get this club back on track.

My comments were generalisations & thoughts on how things are. (imho)

:(

Fair enough - my misinterpretation.

I agree with you on a general level although any businessman expecting to make any money out of football is a misguided one indeed.

I agree with you on a general level although any businessman expecting to make any money out of football is a misguided one indeed.

A quote from The Money Programme.

"The only way to make a small fortune in football, is to start with a large one"

Guest Red_Rat

At the end of the day,footballing directors and chairman are there to back the club up with money,i know its sad to say that but all fans care about is how much money they will pull outa there pocket.our fans wouldnt care if he was a diehard cardiff and rovers fan.Although i no its their money,they should appreciate that the fans want rich moneymen provide to spend wild

At the end of the day,footballing directors and chairman are there to back the club up with money,i know its sad to say that but all fans care about is how much money they will pull outa there pocket.our fans wouldnt care if he was a diehard cardiff and rovers fan.Although i no its their money,they should appreciate that the fans want rich moneymen provide to spend wild

You may say that but would you really want a Sam Hamman as Chairman of BCFC, it could have happened, I believe he was more than a little interested but was rejected and therefore found his way across the Bristol Channel.

Or how about that great football economist Peter Risdale?

Archie Gooch for example: Worth £16 million - this maybe made up by properties he owns of businesses he owns and he may have only say half million in his bank account!

Wouldn't you just hate it........................ to be down to only half a million in your bank account :(

Life must be so hard.

Guest east_dundry_red

To be honest i dont think this should be published. I dont think directors like having how much money they have shown to everyone and to be honest its no ones buisness but theirs.

<br /> Wouldn't you just hate it........................ to be down to only half a million in your bank account  :ph34r:

Life must be so hard.

<br /> Yes but you get what I mean?

He cant put millions into the club can he?

The main problem with rich business men ploughing money into a club is that the rest of the set up seem to forget about budget's. You can get the situation where the club would be running at a huge loss without them, then when they walk away..........

Wimbledon, Derby, Watford etc etc. I wonder what will happen to Rushden and Diamonds now their sugar daddy has decided to retire. :Confused13: :Confused13:

Archived