IGNORED

Mo Eisa signed for Peterborough (Merged)

WAHGS.

8 minutes ago, Super said:

Was he ever given that chance? We were crying out for somone to put the ball in the net on a regular basis all season

Yes he was given a chance. He was in training with the squad for the entire season but seemingly didn't have the quality needed.

13 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Better to recoup most of the money given the chance now than lose even more by not playing the kid ala Engvall. LJ said we are looking for Premier League ready footballers, I guess he didn’t see that in him. Probably best for all parties. Good luck to him. 

We ended up making a profit 

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Paid 800k to Cheltenham didn't we ?

Got over 1.25m from Posh by most accounts.

Good business but shame it didn't work out for him here, he should do well for them.

Yes, recently reported by Jon Palmer (journo who is pretty reliable) that it was £1m (£800k up front, £200k this summer).

From an FFP perspective we will have amortised £333k, so if they’ve broken their record, then probably a fee in the region of £1.5m, so £833k transfer profit in 2019/20’s accounts already.  Wonder if the deal was specifically 01.06 to fall into this year’s accounts?

2 minutes ago, westonred said:

Disagree mate 2 new, Diedhou and Szmodics would not be enough if we had 2 injured and 1 suspended we would be struggling.

Don't forget we lost 5 strikers season before last and only brought Eisa in we never replaced Duric and Engvail. 

Diedhiou, Striker A, Striker B, Weimann and Sememyo. Szmodics as an emergency 6th option. I guess it depends what type Striker A and striker B are, but I think another on top of that would mean at least one probably never plays.

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Good business but shame it didn't work out for him here, he should do well for them.

Yes good business , some people saying 1.6 million but had on good authority that it was 800 k plus plus , but we do now need to bring class in 

7 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Hope Weimann is warming the bench most of the time, for all his running he ain't nowhere near being a "real top striker", never has been or will be.  

He adds so much more to our game than just running. 

He's a good finisher with brilliant movement and has plenty of experience. 

Personally I'd be more than happy to see him starting for us next season

3 minutes ago, Buckeyed said:

Yes he was given a chance. He was in training with the squad for the entire season but seemingly didn't have the quality needed.

And he was very poor against Plymouth. Like you say, if he isn't looking very good in training then what's he going to be like on match day? Probably not very good.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Diedhiou, Striker A, Striker B, Weimann and Sememyo. Szmodics as an emergency 6th option. I guess it depends what type Striker A and striker B are, but I think another on top of that would mean at least one probably never plays.

I forgot about Weimann :laugh: I can see Sememyo going out on loan to be honest.

I think we need a fox in the box type striker and a big lump like Keiffer Moore and a bulldozer like Britt Assombalonga 

8 minutes ago, Buckeyed said:

Another in the "didnt work out" file then.

26 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

How did they know he was any good? are they like we did going on his previous record at Cheltenham because they sure as hell didn't see much of him here, well not at a decent level anyway.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

How did they know he was any good? are they like we did going on his previous record at Cheltenham because they sure as hell didn't see much of him here, well not at a decent level anyway.

They were after him last summer before we got him.

Likely to be a decent sell-on too and with their track record every likelihood that they will move him on in a year or two for a much bigger fee.

Cant see the negativity with some. We are a lower level Chelsea that invest in young talent whether or not they eventually make the grade with us. It’s a numbers game but by coming to us most will raise their value. There will always be some we don’t recoup but as long as we make good profit overall then we’re winning.

46 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Spotted this on the P'Boro site from Darren Ferguson, didn't have to say it so nice to hear.

“I want to thank Lee Johnson and everyone at Bristol City because this has been going on for a little while and they have conducted themselves superbly throughout the process.

...since last summer ?????

Think Lincoln we’re in for Mo too, so Peterborough will be glad to get their man.

37E1009A-C5AF-4474-9D49-71CEBF9F2813.thumb.jpeg.70cf3c92d14fb64d99eb7e644273227a.jpeg

28 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Hope Weimann is warming the bench most of the time, for all his running he ain't nowhere near being a "real top striker", never has been or will be.  

You are talking shite one of our best players last season who rarely got a chance to lead the line but when he did he scored or assisted 

23 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

You're right he does have the qualities you describe.

However, what we need - and the point the post you replied to was making - is that what we need is "a real top striker".

None of the strikers currently at the club fit that bill - fingers crossed we sign one.

It’s mad how football has changed in such a short amount of time. The turnover of inept players in the last few years is incredible. So many have come and gone in such a short period. Previously managers were judged and ultimately sacked based on the success of their signings. Now we seem to be fine with taking gambles that tally up into the millions. It has coincided with LJ’s appointment but I’m not really sure if it’s down to his relationship with Steve Lansdown that he’s been given this freedom or whether this is the way we are going to go about are business going forward even after Johnson leaves the club. The club certainly never used to make the amount of signings we do now or gambles on young players. Managers certainly couldn’t spend money on players for the future like we do now. It makes you wonder if the money we’d spent on the likes of Engvall, Djuric, O’Neil, Watkins, Adelukan, Hegeler, Moore, Magnússon etc could have gone on 1 or 2 real quality signings, and not on gambles. It’s a shame sky money has ruined football really as prem teams can’t get an average player for £20m these days and there’s been a knock on effect down throughout the leagues. Engvall was our club record signing at the time. If you break your record to sign a striker 10-15 years ago he was being handed the number 9 shirt and was starting every game. Now we are spunking millions on players that aren’t anywhere near first team ready. Crazy 

Good bit of business by the club, well done to Ashton, recouped the fee and a bit profit too. Good luck to Mo, shame it didn't work out but he is in good hands at P'boro who will really push top end league 1 next season.

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You're right he does have the qualities you describe.

However, what we need - and the point the post you replied to was making - is that what we need is "a real top striker".

None of the strikers currently at the club fit that bill - fingers crossed we sign one.

I'm not doubting that at all. We do need a top quality striker, however for somebody to write Weimann off as a bench warmer is, in my opinion, very odd

3 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

It’s mad how football has changed in such a short amount of time. The turnover of inept players in the last few years is incredible. So many have come and gone in such a short period. Previously managers were judged and ultimately sacked based on the success of their signings. Now we seem to be fine with taking gambles that tally up into the millions. It has coincided with LJ’s appointment but I’m not really sure if it’s down to his relationship with Steve Lansdown that he’s been given this freedom or whether this is the way we are going to go about are business going forward even after Johnson leaves the club. The club certainly never used to make the amount of signings we do now or gambles on young players. Managers certainly couldn’t spend money on players for the future like we do now. It makes you wonder if the money we’d spent on the likes of Engvall, Djuric, O’Neil, Watkins, Adelukan, Hegeler, Moore, Magnússon etc could have gone on 1 or 2 real quality signings, and not on gambles. It’s a shame sky money has ruined football really as prem teams can’t get an average player for £20m these days and there’s been a knock on effect down throughout the leagues. Engvall was our club record signing at the time. If you break your record to sign a striker 10-15 years ago he was being handed the number 9 shirt and was starting every game. Now we are spunking millions on players that aren’t anywhere near first team ready. Crazy 

If O'Neil goes down as a gamble then what signing isn't a gamble? And what signing would be a guaranteed quality signing? O'Neil shows that every signing has risk.

He cost £1.2m (informing the first payment to Greenwich Borough that kept them alive.) I don't believe any of the additionals were ever invoked so add in fees and wages and he cost us probably £250k or so.

As I wrote when we signed him my colleague who managed him in two capacities thought him potentially a lower league player but never Championship material. Appears he was correct.

7 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Why is it anyone who wants to mention the players that hasn't made it (or still may not), always seems to forget the ones that have and the value they are worth now. The situation we are in is we are taking calculated gambles on lower league and unproven players from abroad. Will they all work - not a chance in hell. But take out the cost of those that never made it (or hasn't yet), and then add up what we have in sales and what the current crop are worth now. Webster alone will pay for that lot if we sold him.

The same goes for all the academy players that won't make it at a cost to the club - but the ones that do far outweigh those losses. Bryan, Reid, Kelly etc etc.

So yes we could have paid a lot of money on 1 or 2 players but we would certainly be in a worse position overall as club now and one going forward imo.

2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Why is it anyone who wants to mention the players that hasn't made it (or still may not), always seems to forget the ones that have and the value they are worth now. The situation we are in is we are taking calculated gambles on lower league and unproven players from abroad. Will they all work - not a chance in hell. But take out the cost of those that never made it (or hasn't yet), and then add up what we have in sales and what the current crop are worth now. Webster alone will pay for that lot if we sold him.

The same goes for all the academy players that won't make it at a cost to the club - but the ones that do far outweigh those losses. Bryan, Reid, Kelly etc etc.

So yes we could have paid a lot of money on 1 or 2 players but we would certainly be in a worse position overall as club now and one going forward imo.

The general gist of my post was about how money has changed football so much in recent years. Not only the value of players but also that we now have to spend more money on potential and gambles than we used to spend on so called proven, first team ready players. Obviously nobody can predict the future and of course Engvall or Eisa could have gone on to bang in 30 goals a season for us and we’d be selling them for tens on millions. Football club owners need bottomless pockets these days even with FFP in place. 

11 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Fairly sure that was the word on the street at the time. Could have been a load of rubbish but he certainly wasn’t cheap and we lost money on him. 

I think you can be pretty certain that Gustav wasn't our record signing. 

If I remember correctly the fee was around £1.3 million plus appearance based add ons that never got paid

56 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Spot on and as LJ alluded in one of his interviews our midfielders often fail to pick out the pass, or pick that ball often enough to spot his runs. He is quality

1 minute ago, wood_red said:

3.5 seasons into LJ’s reign, we are starting to see a bit of volume to the players he’s both signed and sold, rather than the ones he inherited and sold.

I’ll miss some from the list, but here goes:

Tomlin (probably broke even)

O’Neil (free / free)

Lucic (£200k loss)

Steele (free / free)

Hegeler (£300k loss)

Magnússon (£250k profit)

Engvall (£1m loss)

Djuric (£1m loss)

Eisa (£500k profit)

We’ve yet to see the big one yet....although O’Dowda might be the first that gives us a multi-million net-spend profit.

He has been afforded making a few mistakes in the deals of the players he inherited (Reid, Bryan, Flint....now Kelly).

33 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

No he wasn’t..!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

3.5 seasons into LJ’s reign, we are starting to see a bit of volume to the players he’s both signed and sold, rather than the ones he inherited and sold.

I’ll miss some from the list, but here goes:

Tomlin (probably broke even)

O’Neil (free / free)

Lucic (£200k loss)

Steele (free / free)

Hegeler (£300k loss)

Magnússon (£250k profit)

Engvall (£1m loss)

Djuric (£1m loss)

Eisa (£500k profit)

We’ve yet to see the big one yet....although O’Dowda might be the first that gives us a multi-million net-spend profit.

He has been afforded making a few mistakes in the deals of the players he inherited (Reid, Bryan, Flint....now Kelly).

If I was a fan of a club who had spent multi million pounds on o dowda I'd be furious. 

Eisa was a waste of time as was that adulukan kiddie. 

A gamble that didn't pay off, but a year training with Championship players should have made him a better player. We haven't lost anything on the transfer, possibly even made a bit.

This is the type of signing we should have been making for years - low cost risk, with the scope to sell on with a profit (sometimes a small loss). Best case scanario is he turns into a Vardy/Flint type of player.

Best move all round, best of luck to him. Well done Mark Ashton....

7 minutes ago, Taz said:

A gamble that didn't pay off, but a year training with Championship players should have made him a better player. We haven't lost anything on the transfer, possibly even made a bit.

This is the type of signing we should have been making for years - low cost risk, with the scope to sell on with a profit (sometimes a small loss). Best case scanario is he turns into a Vardy/Flint type of player.

Best move all round, best of luck to him. Well done Mark Ashton....

So it’s a gamble that did pay off ...

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

As another poster said before he did have a look in, every day in training for a year. Obviously couldn't make the step up which is a bit worrying we are scouting shit players 

What utter nonsense

In any business, if you buy an asset, add value to it then sell that asset 12 months later for a 25-50% nett profit, you’ll be very happy - and so should we. It’s the new paradigm evidenced by many Premiership clubs, most notably Chelsea. Well done to all concerned and good luck Mo!

A hat trick against the 15ers, home and away please!

9 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

As another poster said before he did have a look in, every day in training for a year. Obviously couldn't make the step up which is a bit worrying we are scouting shit players 

Horseshit

what about the players who are in the team currently, all would of been scouted by our shit system

with out our shot scouting system we wouldn’t of got the 15 million for kodja and the rumoured 10 million coming our way for o’dowda

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

We ended up making a profit 

Yes, recently reported by Jon Palmer (journo who is pretty reliable) that it was £1m (£800k up front, £200k this summer).

From an FFP perspective we will have amortised £333k, so if they’ve broken their record, then probably a fee in the region of £1.5m, so £833k transfer profit in 2019/20’s accounts already.  Wonder if the deal was specifically 01.06 to fall into this year’s accounts?

Are you discounting a Cheltenham sell on percentage? 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not sure we’d all be so worried if he had signed for a L1 club other than Posh. That’s the problematic part.

Not really because we know they’ll likely sell him for 10x what they paid us for him so we’ll profit still further without any further effort.

What’s not to like?!

14 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I would rather think of it as quality control. He scored 1in 2 for Cheltenham and that alone is good enough to give him a go. Football is a dynamic this happens, and we made on him, hope he goes on to be a good signing, well you know he will it's Posh.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Are you discounting a Cheltenham sell on percentage? 

Don’t know if there was one?  If so, £20% (say) of £1.5m - £1.0m = £100k?

Also, this interview is pretty insightful from Darragh MacAnthony.  He’s grown on me a fair bit over the last year.  Worth a watch.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

His movement is so good that he times his runs to absolute perfection, that’s why he’s had so many goals disallowed this season because even the linesman doesn’t think he could’ve timed it that well.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Also, this interview is pretty insightful from Darragh MacAnthony.  He’s grown on me a fair bit over the last year.  Worth a watch.

I would be amazed if there wasn’t one from Cheltenham’s perspective, although I suppose we could have gone in with a cash up front offer that was high enough for us to deny them one? 

As you say it would probably only be 20% or so of any profit and I would imagine his wages for the year were at the lower end of our scale, so still quids in. :)

14 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Horseshit

what about the players who are in the team currently, all would of been scouted by our shit system

with out our shot scouting system we wouldn’t of got the 15 million for kodja and the rumoured 10 million coming our way for o’dowda

Kojda was years ago now (under cotts leadership), we once signed Andy Cole let's add him to the list. 

Anyone paying 10 million for Callum Odowda needs a straight jacket.

We've bought a fair amount of crap, I think it's fair to discuss that. 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought I was watching a Mark Ashton interview then.

Good deal for us and I suspect we retained a interest in him, ie a sell on or even a buy back clause.

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Kojda was years ago now (under cotts leadership), we once signed Andy Cole let's add him to the list. 

Anyone paying 10 million for Callum Odowda needs a straight jacket.

We've bought a fair amount of crap, I think it's fair to discuss that. 

OK let’s discuss it. If you are going to operate a  moneyball type of recruitment system it is likely to be hit and miss. People who say that we could have taken all the money paid for the “failures” and spent it on 1 or 2 quality players are missing out some of the facts. 

Those players come with signing on fees, high wages and have to be persuaded to sign for us, rather than multiple big teams vying for their signature. They are likely to be more established and be at the top of their value on signing.

The players in the moneyball market are going to be hoping we will be a stepping stone to better things, unlikely to command top money and as with Eisa, be more likely to make us some money even if they move on.

Of course there will be Engvalls, but there are failures in the other market as well, we could have been saddled with Ross McCormack for example.

The problem generally is that in both markets you are dealing with human beings, not robots so there are huge variables in the process.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Least he can get on with his career. Pointless signing.

Not really. Took a punt, didn't quite work out but we developed him and looks like we at least broke even or made profit. And if he goes on to do well after dropping back down we'll undoubtedly have a good sell on. What's not to like?

43 minutes ago, Leveller said:

So it’s a gamble that did pay off ...

Well in terms of finance yeah I guess it did. Not exactly the sort of gamble we would have hoped for though ?

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Agree. Report is they’ve smashed their record! Must surely be £1.5M +

Agree with this. We surely would have been saying, we paid x amount and he is now a better player as we have developed him so he is now worth x amount. Wouldn't be surprised if it was around 2m.

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Spotted this on the P'Boro site from Darren Ferguson, didn't have to say it so nice to hear.

“I want to thank Lee Johnson and everyone at Bristol City because this has been going on for a little while and they have conducted themselves superbly throughout the process.

Unlike MacAnthony who makes sure that the whole world knows which clubs are interested in his players and what they are prepared to pay . 

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Kodja too  on the inherited cash cow list . Tomlin we certainly did not break even on, and someone been massaging the numbers if Eisa is 500k profit. Not a hope, but good damage limitation. 

Why ?

Peterborough record fee was 1.25m and their chairman say they've broken that record.

City paid 800k for Eisa with another 200k due in the summer (not sure if that is now payable).

500k profit is quite believable imo.

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

worth a watch / listen

Why aren’t we in for this player ? Sounds exactly what we need ?

Mo whatisname ? 

Interesting that their marquee signing couldn’t even break into our first team.

That shows the huge gap between the two leagues.’

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Kodja too  on the inherited cash cow list . Tomlin we certainly did not break even on, and someone been massaging the numbers if Eisa is 500k profit. Not a hope, but good damage limitation. 

I was under the impression that we had recovered most if not all of the Tomlin fee? 

As for Eisa, it’s Peterborough that are using the term “smashed” when discussing their transfer record, that might be good PR, but as a club that make a big deal of buying cheap and selling at a premium, it don’t think they would be inflating Eisa’s value. 

I guess terminology is subjective but I would go with the following as a guideline

Beaten = 5-10% more 

Broken = 10-20%

Smashed = 20-50%

Rewritten = 50% and above

:)

10 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Making a profit in a business where debt is the norm is not damage limitation it’s a standard of excellence. It should be applauded not derided. 

Given his signing on fee, agents fee and wages, employment costs etc, I expect there is a loss unless we get a sell on fee. 

Archived