IGNORED

Bristol City Women

Leveller

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Southampton are in the rise…might be a decent point all things told.

City failed to capitalise on a one sided first half display, scoring one when they could have had at least two.

Southampton came out with a better plan for the second half: caught city cold almost from the restart for their goal, and were the only team likely to score until added time when City decided to up their game a bit.

Hayles looked quite lively at times, but neither she nor Abi Harrison have much pace to match their good close control.

Fair result overall.

• Thanks 2

I was half an hour late so missed what sounded like City's best spell. We were a bit disjointed today, which was a shame given the sizeable crowd. 

This is Southampton's first season as a professional outfit, so feels like you need to be winning games like this at home if we have ambitions on promotion. They looked physically bigger/stronger to me, but out players definitely looked better technicians.

Good to see Nahki Wells there watching too. 

• Like 1

First time I’ve been to watch the woman’s team. Took my little girl for her first experience of Ashton Gate, as well as her brother, who is now a regular! Really enjoyed it & so did the kids. Was impressed with some of City’s play, especially first half & probably should of added to their 1-0 lead. Started the second half sloppily & seemed to drop their tempo, as well as being a bit disjointed at times. Was impressed with City’s number 4, Layzell, she reads the game well & always looked comfortable. Aimee Palmer also stood out in the middle of the pitch. Abi Harrison & Shania Hayles in particular looked good, but maybe lack that bit of pace to go along with their ability. For Southampton, their number 20 stood out as their best player for me. All in all a good experience & will no doubt take the kids again. COYR 

• Like 1

Thought the result was not unfair in the end. City had by far the better of the first half and might look back at a couple of missed chances that would have made it a different game. However, give the Saints credit: they were business-like and had a solid, disciplined gameplan that finally paid off. In particular, Katie Wilkinson (20) caught the eye with a classy performance, barely putting a foot wrong all afternoon.

I liked Palmer and Syme starting to link up in the midfield, making a lot of the play going forward. Defensively we were sound and gave Southampton few real opportunities. But once again it looked a little more strained at the top end of the field. I know Abi Harrison is going to attract a lot of the opponents' attention, and she swapped places with Hayles and Morgan for a while, but it was a somewhat frustrating day for her. It often looked like she was alone up front and was expecting a teammate in close for the flicks.

Defensively we have some good talents who are forming a useful understanding. The one move that did us was a sweeping run up the flank, a first time low cross and a forward running in at just the right spot to score. It was a great goal, to be fair. With the equaliser just after the restart, it seeemed to knock the girls out of their stride a touch. The Saints slowly strangled the moves from midfield and it became increasingly difficult to get going. As with a recent game, we seemed to run out of steam and ideas as the second half went on.

Good to see a large crowd over getting on for 4,000 at the Gate. I reckon Saints must have brought a coach or two, so perhaps 3k home support. Better than the 500ish at the HPC. Might this make a few in the boardroom open up a conversation?

So the perfect record and the clean sheet is gone but City still top the Women's Championship by a point. What is a concern (as mentioned before) is that we have yet to play the teams now in the top half of that table. October is set with league clashes against Palace, Sheffield Utd and Charlton!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I was half an hour late so missed what sounded like City's best spell. We were a bit disjointed today, which was a shame given the sizeable crowd. 

This is Southampton's first season as a professional outfit, so feels like you need to be winning games like this at home if we have ambitions on promotion. They looked physically bigger/stronger to me, but out players definitely looked better technicians.

Good to see Nahki Wells there watching too. 

Sorry to hear you got there late @Kid in the Riot; was that because of the road closures due to the Great Bristol Run?

And yep, Morgan's goal was just before the 30 min mark. City had a much better first half than the second.

Great you saw Nahki! Where was he?

18 hours ago, Simon79 said:

First time I’ve been to watch the woman’s team. Took my little girl for her first experience of Ashton Gate, as well as her brother, who is now a regular! Really enjoyed it & so did the kids. Was impressed with some of City’s play, especially first half & probably should of added to their 1-0 lead. Started the second half sloppily & seemed to drop their tempo, as well as being a bit disjointed at times. Was impressed with City’s number 4, Layzell, she reads the game well & always looked comfortable. Aimee Palmer also stood out in the middle of the pitch. Abi Harrison & Shania Hayles in particular looked good, but maybe lack that bit of pace to go along with their ability. For Southampton, their number 20 stood out as their best player for me. All in all a good experience & will no doubt take the kids again. COYR 

Hope to see you & your family at the RHPC @Simon79!

Southampton's 20 is Katie Wilkinson, who is very experienced at Championship level with Aston Villa, Sheffield United & more recently Coventry United. Also agree that Layzell had a great game yesterday (as well as Emily Syme)

17 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Thought the result was not unfair in the end. City had by far the better of the first half and might look back at a couple of missed chances that would have made it a different game. However, give the Saints credit: they were business-like and had a solid, disciplined gameplan that finally paid off. In particular, Katie Wilkinson (20) caught the eye with a classy performance, barely putting a foot wrong all afternoon.

I liked Palmer and Syme starting to link up in the midfield, making a lot of the play going forward. Defensively we were sound and gave Southampton few real opportunities. But once again it looked a little more strained at the top end of the field. I know Abi Harrison is going to attract a lot of the opponents' attention, and she swapped places with Hayles and Morgan for a while, but it was a somewhat frustrating day for her. It often looked like she was alone up front and was expecting a teammate in close for the flicks.

Defensively we have some good talents who are forming a useful understanding. The one move that did us was a sweeping run up the flank, a first time low cross and a forward running in at just the right spot to score. It was a great goal, to be fair. With the equaliser just after the restart, it seeemed to knock the girls out of their stride a touch. The Saints slowly strangled the moves from midfield and it became increasingly difficult to get going. As with a recent game, we seemed to run out of steam and ideas as the second half went on.

Good to see a large crowd over getting on for 4,000 at the Gate. I reckon Saints must have brought a coach or two, so perhaps 3k home support. Better than the 500ish at the HPC. Might this make a few in the boardroom open up a conversation?

So the perfect record and the clean sheet is gone but City still top the Women's Championship by a point. What is a concern (as mentioned before) is that we have yet to play the teams now in the top half of that table. October is set with league clashes against Palace, Sheffield Utd and Charlton!

Great comments @Erithacus!

On 22/09/2022 at 13:32, shahanshahan said:

My question is near the end of this, about doing a Bristolian accent. I wasn't expecting her follow up though *practices Glaswegian accent*

After contemplating or not for about 24 hours whether to upload it or not...I realised it wasn't going to get better. Here it is in none of it's glory...

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Hoping for a good start to the Conti Cup campaign. I'm not attending due to it being announced after I had already made other plans.

As expected, a few changes to give some players some first team action.

FeEAmNYXgAI2ErH?format=jpg&name=large

4-0 not a bad start. Should've,could've been more.

• Like 2

Thoroughly enjoyed this afternoon's entertainment at the RHPC and as miser says, should have been more.

Abi Harrison could have broken scoring records today if things had gone differently. One cleared off the line, smashed one against the bar, put two more wide and scored twice too. Glad to see she's got off the mark for the season, think more goals will follow. 

City overcame the loss of Vicky Bruce in the warm up and galloped into a two goal lead shortly after the halfway point of the first half (an Abi Harrison double) and when the chances came and went during the game, and with only a two goal lead, you feared what might happen if Palace pulled a goal back. Thankfully they didn't and City wrapped up the game with two in the final fifteen minutes, the second of which was a scorcher from Emily Syme. Been said before, usually by the esteemed @Erithacus, but Aimee Palmer makes evrything tick, such a good player and maybe a touch under rated. Other stars for me were Ffion Morgan and Emily Syme when she came on.

Depth wise, I think City are as strong as I've seen them and must almost have two very good players for each position now. Really enjoyed today and congratulations to Lauren & her staff for a great afternoon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great result today after a much improved performance. Right from the start the players were at a higher level than the last couple of games. Speed, precision and positivity were all better.

I can accept that teams regard the Conti Cup in a slightly different light and named less-typical starting XIs, but there were many who were under scrutiny. Even so, I thought City have a solid core and the 'fringe' players are more than capable. Good to see that Lauren Smith might have a happy headache for the next game.

Once City got into their stride, Palace were simply overwhelmed by neat passing and sweeping runs all over the park. Palmer was, once again, at the heart of things. She has a good engine and is a genuine box-to-box midfielder, breaking up plays and taking the initiative forwards. Shania Hayles was a real threat on either flank with hold-up play and quick bursts. Ffion Morgan was equally dangerous with her speed down the flanks; Harrison managed to get her tally up and running for the season with two well-taken strikes following good moves. I suspect she was disappointed to not complete the hat-trick with a couple of decent chances later on. Palace's keeper made a couple of good stops and the woodwork was kind to the visitors.

At the back, Liv Clark proved a competent keeper and hardly put a foot wrong, whilst the back line were always there whenever Palace got the ball into the box. Many times a striker was closed down by several red shirts, putting blocks in and denying the opportunity. Naomi Layzell was imperious at the centre of the line and always in control - a contender for PotM.

The subs came on and kept the pressure on a side I think will prove to be there or thereabouts come the end of the season - and made a statement for the league game against the same opponents in a few weeks. All in all it was a top class performance (if only we could have shown that against the Saints) and worth the trip to the HPC. Pity it was a modest turnout today as the missing fans will have missed a good one.

1 hour ago, Hamdon Mart said:

the esteemed @Erithacus

:blush: Shucks... you're the more authoritive between us HM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

The first home game I miss in over a year & it was a lively one...

Anyone else watched these highlights and noticed the commentary refers to Chloe Bull as Chloe O'Connor? Also, that Shania Hayles slip was unfortunate...

Sha, the highlights don't do it justice.

Ffion Morgan, Liv Clark & Chloe Bull on the bench for Wales for their World Cup play-off against Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Abi Harrison on the bench for Scotland for their play-off against Austria. Both games live on BBC iPlayer

Edited by shahanshahan

Former Bristol Academy player Jess Fishlock got the winner for Wales in their play-off game against Euro 2022 quarter finalists Austria. They will now face Switzerland on Tuesday with the winner going to the World Cup! Hope we'll see a lot more of the current City crop playing

Accounts for Bristol City Women Football Club Limited were published on 5 October. Available to view here:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11460716/filing-history

It's an interesting read and underpins two things. Firstly, women's football makes no money, and secondly, the women's team is just as reliant on the Lansdowns as the men's team is.

Overall the Women's team made a £500,000 loss in 2021/22, up slightly from the £470,000 loss they made in 2020/21. This is mainly down to a drop of 75% in the income from player sales (down from £40,000 to just £10,000), but there is also a huge drop in "other operating income" (and if anyone knows what that might be then please speak up) this has gone from £170,000 in 2020/21 to just £10,500 last season...if anyone knows where that £160,000 is I am sure the Club would be interested to know.

The Men's team, which wholly owns the Women's team, ultimately covers these costs. In turn those costs are covered by Bristol City Holdings Ltd, and so on and so on up the chain through Guernsey to Lansdown's bank account. That half a million quid that is paid down the chain to cover the losses is paid in cash - not a loan and seemingly undocumented - and sits as debt on the books of the Women's club. Therefore that company is now £1.4m in debt to the men's team as opposed to the £0.9m it owed last season. Other debts total about £100,000. There has been an overall increase in debt of 50%.

There is some good news, although even that must be delivered with caution. Turnover was up about 20% from £312,000 to £370,000, a decent % increase even if the actual figures are tiny in the grand scheme of things. Staff costs (ie wages) have come down 17% from £690,000 to £574,000.  That all sounds really good, but it still means that the Women's team is spending a staggering 155% of its turnover on wages. This is down from a ludicrous 221% in season 2020/21. That 221% figure would be completely and utterly unsustainable, so well done to those involved for getting that ratio down from "insane" to merely "pretty silly".

All in all these numbers are chicken feed compared to the full group accounts which we expect to be published later this month - just as an example a spend of £574,000 on 34 staff gives an average annual wage of just under £17,000 also known as one week's wages for a high-profile men's team player. However it clearly shows that for all the growth and hype around the Women's game it is still nowhere near being a money making activity.

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Accounts for Bristol City Women Football Club Limited were published on 5 October. Available to view here:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11460716/filing-history

It's an interesting read and underpins two things. Firstly, women's football makes no money, and secondly, the women's team is just as reliant on the Lansdowns as the men's team is.

Overall the Women's team made a £500,000 loss in 2021/22, up slightly from the £470,000 loss they made in 2020/21. This is mainly down to a drop of 75% in the income from player sales (down from £40,000 to just £10,000), but there is also a huge drop in "other operating income" (and if anyone knows what that might be then please speak up) this has gone from £170,000 in 2020/21 to just £10,500 last season...if anyone knows where that £160,000 is I am sure the Club would be interested to know.

The Men's team, which wholly owns the Women's team, ultimately covers these costs. In turn those costs are covered by Bristol City Holdings Ltd, and so on and so on up the chain through Guernsey to Lansdown's bank account. That half a million quid that is paid down the chain to cover the losses is paid in cash - not a loan and seemingly undocumented - and sits as debt on the books of the Women's club. Therefore that company is now £1.4m in debt to the men's team as opposed to the £0.9m it owed last season. Other debts total about £100,000. There has been an overall increase in debt of 50%.

There is some good news, although even that must be delivered with caution. Turnover was up about 20% from £312,000 to £370,000, a decent % increase even if the actual figures are tiny in the grand scheme of things. Staff costs (ie wages) have come down 17% from £690,000 to £574,000.  That all sounds really good, but it still means that the Women's team is spending a staggering 155% of its turnover on wages. This is down from a ludicrous 221% in season 2020/21. That 221% figure would be completely and utterly unsustainable, so well done to those involved for getting that ratio down from "insane" to merely "pretty silly".

All in all these numbers are chicken feed compared to the full group accounts which we expect to be published later this month - just as an example a spend of £574,000 on 34 staff gives an average annual wage of just under £17,000 also known as one week's wages for a high-profile men's team player. However it clearly shows that for all the growth and hype around the Women's game it is still nowhere near being a money making activity.

Saw this out the other day. Most women's teams; even in the WSL; don't even make a profit anyway.

No surprise that the women's side is not making a real profit, although it is arguable that some costs are carried across both set-ups - like the training ground and staff, who can operate with either.

One thing that crosses my mind is that, with the women's side well 'in debt', might that help balance the rest of the holdings in some way?

• Hmmm 1

On 02/09/2022 at 10:26, shahanshahan said:

Was wondering where she was on the touchline! ?

As per what @Erithacussaid before, I'd expect more stands/seats to be built at RHPC.

Also, I'd expect in the WSL to have more games at Ashton Gate, or at least more than the three planned this season.

Can we have a tent please to catch up with our rivels?

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Ffion Morgan, Chloe Bull, Liv Clark all on the bench - ready to make an impact 

Game kicks off at 6pm, live on BBC iPlayer!

Ffion Morgan came on as a sub in the second half. Switzerland score in the last minute of extra time. Wales miss out on qualification yet again

6 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Heartbreak all round with the exeption of Chloe Mustaki: Wales and Scotland lose. No World Cup for them.

I supose we won't have to miss most of our international stars now.

Mustaki didn't even come on, so there was no Harrison v Mustaki face-off (Harrison came on in second half). Congrats to Ireland who qualify for their first Women's World Cup though.

Good to watch both games tonight. I didn't even bother watching the Lionesses tonight - which was a 0-0 with Czech Republic. At least Ebony Salmon came on as a sub!

15 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Mustaki didn't even come on, so there was no Harrison v Mustaki face-off (Harrison came on in second half). Congrats to Ireland who qualify for their first Women's World Cup though.

Good to watch both games tonight. I didn't even bother watching the Lionesses tonight - which was a 0-0 with Czech Republic. At least Ebony Salmon came on as a sub!

She didn’t get on, but she had to front up on Sky today.  I haven’t seen the incident, so saw a video of her earlier and thought I’d copy here.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

She didn’t get on, but she had to front up on Sky today.  I haven’t seen the incident, so saw a video of her earlier and thought I’d copy here.

Only embarrassed as they got caught out, if they thought there was anything wrong in it they wouldn't have sung it

• Like 1

Guest Robinson2022

Hey guys,

I am a Master's student at the University of Brighton from South Korea. Being a female fan myself, through my thesis research I want to find out what can enable more male fans to live, breathe and sleep the women's games as much as you do for the men's games. I would really appreciate your quick minutes into the survey I designed for the research I am conducting.

Survey Link: https://brighton.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/football_survey

Thank you guys xx

This may be a silly question, but I thought it the best place to ask, how does the season ticket card work? Do I just show the card instead of a printed ticket, when entering hpc?  And is that the same for games at Ashton gate or is there something different? 

With Sheffield United playing in red & white, it looks like City will be in the Robin third kit for the first time this season - based on this graphic?

Was due to be on my way to the game but two people I was going with have been impacted by COVID, so will follow the game via updates. Don't think Sheffield United are doing a livestream