IGNORED

Bristol City Women

Leveller

54 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

To be honest, I wasn't even aware there was a City Ladies team back in the 70s. Was aware of a team in the 90s/2000s, but I know that the current team now is what used to be Bristol Academy, and Bristol Rovers before that - when formed in 1998

I was around then and can't remember anything. Would not have been attached to the club. Best guess it would have been an amatuer team playing friendlies. Pretty sure there was no organised football for women at the time. The only organised women's team than was the Rocking Robin's (best forgotten).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

For those in attendance at the Norwich game yesterday, did anyone hear Downsy mention at half time about two players from the original Bristol City Ladies who had formed 50 years ago? I was on the concourse & drinking so couldn't go back to my seat to see it.

To be honest, I wasn't even aware there was a City Ladies team back in the 70s. Was aware of a team in the 90s/2000s, but I know that the current team now is what used to be Bristol Academy, and Bristol Rovers before that - when formed in 1998

Yes, there was definitely something along those lines and there was a photo on the big screen. I think the first training session was announced as having been in September 1973.

• Like 1

Hard fought victory today. On top first half, but attack misfiring. Deadlock broken in 2nd half. Can't decide which I admired most, the speed of Morgan to get to the byline and cross or the speed of Syme to get up and finish. Ref was awful, didn't quite catch her name, sounded something like Kiera Stroud. 

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, miser said:

Ref was awful, didn't quite catch her name, sounded something like Kiera Stroud. 

Yeah, she wasn't the best. Think there was a shoutout for a City penalty in the second half, which wasn't given (if anyone is wondering, City Women haven't scored a penalty since Tianna Teisar scored against Reading in pre-season)

Ref's name is below, if anyone was actually wondering.

Sophie Whitehouse made some great saves for Lewes, on her return to BS8. The stuff at the end of the game was interesting to see where it looked like she tapped Clinton while she was down, but I'll have to watch it back..

FoxiQ2nWYAEfaX4?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

City now on 30 points. Still on level points with London City Lionesses, who also won today.
London City have higher goal difference, but we still have a game in hand (oddly enough, it's Lewes away on March 1st)

International break now, then facing Man City in the FA Cup in two weeks time
FoyHP3_XgAIdoEe?format=jpg&name=900x900

Another good, hearty and (increasingly) gritty performance by the girls; you can't argue with another three points. We have played Lewes several times and both sides will know each other well, so no prizes for guessing it would be another tight game. It took a lot of effort and application, which City had even after Wednesday night's crunch, so once again I have to praise the fitness levels.

I like Lewes - they are a 'little' club (not backed by a mega-dollar men's club) and really gave a good account of themselves: solid, organised, determined and a well-oiled outfit. They don't have any world-class signings but are a tough nut to crack. Their keeper Whitehouse especially had a great game, perhaps showing what we might have missed.

But what really got them annoyed was the first goal - they claimed loudly Ffion Morgan's cross had curled out before coming back in and being headed home. It must be said that I have not heard so much scorn descend from the stands on the officials. Not a great day. But it was the reward for City's constant committment, trying to open up the width and also bursting from the middle. We don't seem to get many one-on-ones from a flighted ball over a high back line like we used to - a sign how the game is moving on and becoming more competitive. Chances have to be earned with more quality these days.

Defensively, Bentley was assured in the moments when called upon, Layzell and Pearce were a formidable pair at the back, with Hutton and Morgan rather kept in midfield roles for much of the game. I am looking forward to the new midfield triumvirate of Palmer, Syme and Furness - the latter was a capable presence and showed some top class touches. She can battle and create forward movements with equal measure and I hope it will be a good partnership in the making. Elsewhere, Harrison was always demanding the ball and taking charge of attacks, despite an arm injury picked up when an opponent tumbled over her.

Notwithstanding the cup match against Man City and providing it does not cause significant damage, I think we can look ahead with confidence. This is a side that has all the ingredients for success.

• Like 3

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/match-preview-man-city-h-vwfac/

There's a lot of new information regarding entrances, travel etc for today's fixture.
I get the feeling that those going will miss the above article, so a Twitter thread has been made below:

Not sure if I can included the whole thread so will just share the first two tweets...

Tough afternoon. Team selection clearly had one eye on Wednesday  night where we play Lewes, our game in hand. Thought we did OK first half with the score being a result of Man City being clinical in front of goal rather than us being overrun. The 2 late goals in the second half were unfortunate and probably due to the substitutions weakening the team. Clearly will be an issue if we go up, but the reality is bee owing a more distorted league than the Premier league. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Embrassing result 0-6 1 month ago, Today 1-8. Yes i know they are a very good team. But if we are hoping for promotion this year. We better start thinking about how we are not going to see scorelines like this most matches.

Surely if we get promotion, we bring in better players…and not just go with this squad?

No surprise, part 2. If anything Man City put more into the game after learning from the recent League cup game. Their talent and guile are clearly among the best of any club side in the world.

From City's perspective there were some changes but the game was pretty one-sided for long periods. Harrison only playing the second half was a setback. Palmer was trying but picked up a knock and didn't reappear for the second half. Hopefully she will be available for the crucial game at Lewes midweek - as that's the real focus now. The experienced Furness took up the mantle and encouraged her teammates from the middle of the park. (Incidentally, does she wear a gumshield during matches?)

One area the coaches will have been emphasising will be the attitude and application. It would be easy to let the heads and work-rate drop in a spanking but the girls have been professional throughout. Although the scoreline is a sore one, we must take the positives from the game(s) and realise just what the level will be in the WSL. Maybe this will be deposited in the bank for later.

So, on to Lewes on Wednesday...

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Surely if we get promotion, we bring in better players…and not just go with this squad?

Is there a budget for this? Will the powers open the wallets and improve the whole set-up if/when promotion is won? I would like to know just who makes the real decisions in the women's club. If the men's side is anything to go by (and, yes, the men's salaries are way beyond the girls'), I fear there might not be much left in the bank account.

• Like 1

If, and it's still a big IF, we can beat London City to top place, then it's pretty low cost (compared to Men's spending) to improve the squad to be able to compete with the bottom 4 in the WSL, then if we can stay up can look to compete against the middle 4 as well. Same would be true for London City. 

Edited by old_eastender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

If, and it's still a big IF, we can beat London City to top place, then it's pretty low cost (compared to Men's spending) to improve the squad to be able to compete with the bottom 4 in the WSL, then if we can stay up can look to compete against the middle 4 as well. Same would be true for London City. 

Surely FFP restrictions would impact us though? 

We would have to up our incoming monies 

Game didn't feel like the scoreline that it had. Harrison & Hayles made an impact when they came on in the second half. Clinton up front by herself was interesting - Woolley seemed to be ineffective/lost today & was subbed off at half time.

Great one-on-one battles between Ffion Morgan & Lauren Hemp early on.

A game with nothing to lose for City, Man City put out a strong squad. Attendance record of 1223 set with crowds everywhere. I did notice the Hummel logos were removed from the ad boards - just blank white spaces. Team played in existing kit - new O'Neills kit not yet arrived.

Focus now on the league with Lewes away on Wednesday. Lewes now one of two remaining Championship teams in the FA Cup...

• Like 1

Quarter final draw took place on The One Show tonight.

Had Bristol City won yesterday, there'd be an away trip to Aston Villa. And London City Lionesses away would have had to be rescheduled again...

(Lewes v Manchester United looks to be awesome. And either Brighton or Birmingham potentially being in a semi-final is interesting)

9 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Quarter final draw took place on The One Show tonight.

Had Bristol City won yesterday, there'd be an away trip to Aston Villa. And London City Lionesses away would have had to be rescheduled again...

(Lewes v Manchester United looks to be awesome. And either Brighton or Birmingham potentially being in a semi-final is interesting)

Good tie for Lewes, hopefully they won't overprice the beach hut option.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Hang on, we let in more goals in 90 mins v Man City than we have in 14 league games?

Shows the difference in quality that's for sure 

It is a pretty scary statistic. 

Hard fought victory at a chilly Dripping Pan. Fairly even first half with City beginning to stretch Lewes prior to the interval. Second half was mostly City. Hayles shot over in the opening minutes, but was on target to slot in after 58 minutes. Thereafter a series of Lewes blocks prevented a second. The odd Lewes foray tested the nerves toward the end, overall a deserved victory for the reds and now 3 clear at the top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miser said:

Hard fought victory at a chilly Dripping Pan. Fairly even first half with City beginning to stretch Lewes prior to the interval. Second half was mostly City. Hayles shot over in the opening minutes, but was on target to slot in after 58 minutes. Thereafter a series of Lewes blocks prevented a second. The odd Lewes foray tested the nerves toward the end, overall a deserved victory for the reds and now 3 clear at the top.

Thanks for that, really needed the 3 pts given London City have better GD. Now they are under a bit of pressure to try and keep up.

Crucial game and it's a big 'W'! Really pleased with that, and puts the Lionesses at a distinct disadvantage - they have to win their games now, draws won't be any good. The match at their place on 19th March could be the pivotal one.

Only eight games left in this season and we will need to keep the right belief and application. I feel Lauren Smith will keep the girls' feet firmly on the ground and guide the team to the title.       COYR!

• Like 2