IGNORED

Bristol City Women

Leveller

Fantastic result for the girls, well done!! 

Nex Sunday then, London City have got Charlton at home while City host Sheffield United at the Robins HPC. Charlton will be tough opposition for the Lionesses; they are fourth at the moment but would be third if they beat Lewes on Wednesday night. As if to add more drama, City's game on Sunday kicks off an hour later than the Lionesses too! Sounds like it could be an exciting one! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Fantastic result for the girls, well done!! 

Nex Sunday then, London City have got Charlton at home while City host Sheffield United at the Robins HPC. Charlton will be tough opposition for the Lionesses; they are fourth at the moment but would be third if they beat Lewes on Wednesday night. As if to add more drama, City's game on Sunday kicks off an hour later than the Lionesses too! Sounds like it could be an exciting one! 

Quote from a friend of mine:

"So I'm pretty sure on my maths here 
IF we beat Sheff Utd next Sunday AND Charlton take anything from London City. We could mathematically clinch the title at Sunderland, with a win"

27 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Quote from a friend of mine:

"So I'm pretty sure on my maths here 
IF we beat Sheff Utd next Sunday AND Charlton take anything from London City. We could mathematically clinch the title at Sunderland, with a win"

7 points is needed from the remaining 4 games to guarantee winning the league. That's assuming London win all their remaining games.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RedM said:

Whats the away support numbers, obviously not got a following like the men but is it hundreds not thousands for these big games?

It's hundreds for the home games. And for some of the men's away games! Tens? One bus?

32 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It's hundreds for the home games. And for some of the men's away games! Tens? One bus?

?

The men's game is really well supported as you must know. I was just wondering how many the girls/women/ladies now attract as they are doing so well. I honestly don't know.

For reference the lowest away attendance for Bristol City away game when I have attended is a full 73 seater coach, midweek away to Rotherham when we weren't doing great. And quite a few actually drove or went by train. 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Whats the away support numbers, obviously not got a following like the men but is it hundreds not thousands for these big games?

Large numbers of away supporters is still a growing thing in the women's game - and has to catch up to the levels in the men's game. Most away games I've been for the women have been in a car with others, and for dedicated fans they would make their own transport as their football club or supporters group providing travel isn't always available.

In the WSL clubs are starting to organise designated away areas - and away supporters can actually buy tickets from their own club rather than have to buy from the club that they are playing.

When Man City came to the RHPC last month I believe there were about 20/30 obvious supporters (as in they wore their club colours) - most on their coach & some who travelled themselves.

As well as the people that were on the coach yesterday I saw a few others at St Mary's yesterday - those that travelled to Southampton themselves, a group with a "Bristol City Hampshire Reds" flag, and I assume @Roadrunner was there even though we never got to meet

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Vicky Bruce on the Sound of the City tonight

Great interview tonight with Geoff. Wasn't (entirely) expecting her to sing fan chants in response to my question. Interesting to hear her say that they'll be playing games at Ashton Gate next season if they get promoted - not sure if that was a slip of the tongue...

• Admin
1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

Great interview tonight with Geoff. Wasn't (entirely) expecting her to sing fan chants in response to my question. Interesting to hear her say that they'll be playing games at Ashton Gate next season if they get promoted - not sure if that was a slip of the tongue...

I guess we all knew the HPC wasn't fit for purpose and would be outgrown very quickly, but surprised they're going to Ashton Gate. Three teams being based there will take it's toll on the pitch and will it be of any benefit to the team playing home games in a desserted stadium 

I expected then to go to either Bath or Weston 

I suppose the club has only two grounds and the HPC is looking short of space, so there is really only one choice. Yes, they might conclude an arrangement with another club (or the SGS?) but perhaps it would be seen as a little disingenuous. Crowds at the Gate have been 2500-3000 this season so that might be sufficient to make the costings work. Playing in the WSL will surely bring a bigger attandance from visiting clubs too. Mr Lansdown will have someone working on those prospective figures, I'm sure.

Anyways, it would be rather fetching if the girls were to find a way to be promoted at the Gate on April 23rd, wouldn't it?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Here are the particular clips in question

In regards to moving to another team's ground, I think the club want the team to still play at or as close to Ashton Gate as possible, and have facilities that meet current WSL criteria.
The decision to move to Twerton Park for 2020/21 was partly due to COVID/social distancing guidelines that SGS couldn't meet, however it didn't matter at the end as that season was behind closed doors. And one/some of the people behind that decision aren't at the club anymore.
Also, since then Bath City have reformed their women's team, and play at Twerton Park.

A unique selling point for City is that they actually play in the location they're representing. You see WSL clubs like Man United who play in Leigh, Brighton in Crawley. Plus a few London-based teams who play at other stadiums, but then London has plenty to offer compared to the limited decent options in Bristol.
A potential move outside of Bristol may be unpopular with supporters.

There are clubs such as Reading, Sheffield United, Birmingham, Southampton who all play at their men's stadiums - but they have the caveat that they have no other rugby teams etc who play games there regularly.

If the permanent move to AG does happen, it would be interesting especially in regards to the pitch with three teams being based there. Bristol Bears Women still play most of their games at Shaftesbury Park in Frenchay but even their season ticket renewal announcement advised that they'd be planning on three AG games next season.

The question was asked at the recent Fans Forum, and Lauren Smith did say that she'd love for the team to eventually outgrow the RHPC.
I think clubs such as Arsenal & Chelsea are also getting there with Meadow Park & Kingsmeadow recently, hence why they're having more games at the Emirates & Stamford Bridge respectively but haven't reached enough levels yet to fill out that particular stadia

On 28/03/2023 at 13:24, shahanshahan said:

In regards to moving to another team's ground, I think the club want the team to still play at or as close to Ashton Gate as possible, and have facilities that meet current WSL criteria.
The decision to move to Twerton Park for 2020/21 was partly due to COVID/social distancing guidelines that SGS couldn't meet, however it didn't matter at the end as that season was behind closed doors. And one/some of the people behind that decision aren't at the club anymore.
Also, since then Bath City have reformed their women's team, and play at Twerton Park.

A unique selling point for City is that they actually play in the location they're representing. You see WSL clubs like Man United who play in Leigh, Brighton in Crawley. Plus a few London-based teams who play at other stadiums, but then London has plenty to offer compared to the limited decent options in Bristol.
A potential move outside of Bristol may be unpopular with supporters.

There are clubs such as Reading, Sheffield United, Birmingham, Southampton who all play at their men's stadiums - but they have the caveat that they have no other rugby teams etc who play games there regularly.

If the permanent move to AG does happen, it would be interesting especially in regards to the pitch with three teams being based there. Bristol Bears Women still play most of their games at Shaftesbury Park in Frenchay but even their season ticket renewal announcement advised that they'd be planning on three AG games next season.

The question was asked at the recent Fans Forum, and Lauren Smith did say that she'd love for the team to eventually outgrow the RHPC.
I think clubs such as Arsenal & Chelsea are also getting there with Meadow Park & Kingsmeadow recently, hence why they're having more games at the Emirates & Stamford Bridge respectively but haven't reached enough levels yet to fill out that particular stadia

Interesting point last week made by the West Ham Ladies defender Lucy Parker that they are the only team in the WSL  not to have played at their corresponding  men's team ground this season, in fact they havent played there since 2019 even though they've been in a FA Cup semi final. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E.G.Red said:

Interesting point last week made by the West Ham Ladies defender Lucy Parker that they are the only team in the WSL  not to have played at their corresponding  men's team ground this season, in fact they havent played there since 2019 even though they've been in a FA Cup semi final. 

And they were finalists back in 2019 at Wembley!

On 27/03/2023 at 21:32, phantom said:

I guess we all knew the HPC wasn't fit for purpose and would be outgrown very quickly, but surprised they're going to Ashton Gate. Three teams being based there will take it's toll on the pitch and will it be of any benefit to the team playing home games in a desserted stadium 

I expected then to go to either Bath or Weston 

I will be amazed if they play all home games at AG, the pitch as we will see later today is taking a hammering and to play an additional 20 plus games on it is asking a lot, and when would they play? Playing games Friday, Saturday and Sunday consecutively seems unlikely.

Bath is also unlikely as they have a women’s team themselves, so I’d agree with Weston where our U23 team played a lot of matches recently, if it meets the standard for men’s u23(21) then it will almost certainly meet the standard for WSL.

4 hours ago, Countryfile said:

I will be amazed if they play all home games at AG, the pitch as we will see later today is taking a hammering and to play an additional 20 plus games on it is asking a lot, and when would they play? Playing games Friday, Saturday and Sunday consecutively seems unlikely.

Bath is also unlikely as they have a women’s team themselves, so I’d agree with Weston where our U23 team played a lot of matches recently, if it meets the standard for men’s u23(21) then it will almost certainly meet the standard for WSL.

Does anyone know if there's the option to extend the capacity of the HPC? For example, literally putting two or three steps of terracing either behind the goals or down the dug out side of the pitch, I'm sure they could easily get a capacity of a couple of thousand by doing so.

19 hours ago, beaverface said:

Does anyone know if there's the option to extend the capacity of the HPC? For example, literally putting two or three steps of terracing either behind the goals or down the dug out side of the pitch, I'm sure they could easily get a capacity of a couple of thousand by doing so.

I think the WSL will have rules about spectator capacity at games, the HPC was never intended to have anything other than a show pitch (with exactly the same pitch build as AG) for use by the men’s teams, a practise pitch for the first team and home pitch for the Academy teams, originally the Women’s team were going to take over the entire facility at SGS previously shared with the Academy, SGS has a very decent show pitch itself, with spectator facilities.

I don’t think either of those venues would meet the WSL rules about spectator capacity.

I think someone I follow on Twitter went to watch Stoke Gifford United recently, they play behind the main building at SGS. The main pitch that the Women used to play on is now a 4G pitch for American Football and I'm not sure but from the pictures, I can't see any of those portable stands that they used to use for home games. Maybe they could come in handy?

Well at least Bruce, who gets turned far too easily, will be out for last games. Her and Wooley are two that, from the games I've seen, are simply not good enough if we do go up, but going to go to the wire now it seems. Sounded from twitter feed they gave it a real go after the double substitution today but could not quite manage to find an equalizer.

10 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Looks like they need to win their 3 remaining games. London City Women play the bottom 2 teams in their final 2 games.....although, one of them Blackburn may need to get a result.

Could be, as you say two easy looking games for their last two, although they probably thought that of our game today!

Southampton will test London City at least.

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Why so much additional time?

More than 11 minutes according to the BBC.

Brooke Aspin clashed heads with Molly Graham (SUFC) when she headed over the crossbar late on. Probably 4-5 minutes there + the subs + the timewasting from SUFC particularly the keeper. 7 minutes was announced but then there was another double injury right at the end of ET.

• Thanks 1

Dissapointing is the word today. Have to commend Sheffield Utd for their solid and workwomanlike performance. Clearly they came to pack the midfield and stifle our normal expansive play. I also wondered about the team selection that left Hayles and Syme on the bench - which is due to slight knocks, I assume. Good to see Aimee Palmer start but she was frequently closed down and was reduced to picking the ball up in deeper positions as the game went on. Probing became difficult and we suffered from a lack of efforts on goal.

Sweetman-Kirk was a constant worry and she was at the sharp end of United's thrusts when they came forwards. It was a neat ball down the flank and across the six yard box that was the difference. Defending was a little shaky at times and Layzell was turned too often.

Bruce's red card was a poor response after the half time break and it reduced the variety we could create. Even with a big reshuffle we found pressing forward heavy going. Changing the distribution was more in desperation than logical thinking in the late stages, but we did look a lot more like we would produce something, even with ten. United began to sit back and close ranks, but were secure in the main. Hayles' bundle over the line was already flagged offside and their keeper was not really tested in the final summing up. Some close efforts but they were off target.

So, we were cheered when London City stumbled at Durham, now they're happier we too have dropped against lower opposition. Still those three points ahead but now we have to win - dropping any more points could be disastrous. Steel hearts and cold blood needed from now on.

Could it be that the last Women's game at the HPC is going to be a disappointing defeat? I note Season ticket renewals are yet to be announced - is the club awaiting on the final table before offering them?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I note Season ticket renewals are yet to be announced - is the club awaiting on the final table before offering them?

I believe so, yes. Same reason why no news has been announced yet regarding new contracts/extensions

21 hours ago, phantom said:

What position does Anita Asante have at the club? 

Just noticed that she was one of presenters for the BBC2 coverage of Arsenal vs Manchester City 

She's a first team coach but is on a part-time contract. She does coaching in the week then media duties on some Sundays. I have seen her at a few matchdays, to be fair

19 hours ago, old_eastender said:

down to 10 women now, Bruce red carded for professional foul.

Didn't see the foul at the time as it was at the other end of the pitch from where I was standing. Seeing as it was a straight red, I'm not sure if the club would appeal (I haven't seen any footage back yet). Don't know if she'd serve just a one match ban or even more - especially as there's only three games left this season

Yesterday was a tense one! Looks like the international break has come at a good time on this occasion.

And with Sheffield United winning & Coventry United drawing, it seems that Coventry United have now been relegated...

On 03/04/2023 at 11:47, shahanshahan said:

Didn't see the foul at the time as it was at the other end of the pitch from where I was standing. Seeing as it was a straight red, I'm not sure if the club would appeal (I haven't seen any footage back yet). Don't know if she'd serve just a one match ban or even more - especially as there's only three games left this season

Yesterday was a tense one! Looks like the international break has come at a good time on this occasion.

And with Sheffield United winning & Coventry United drawing, it seems that Coventry United have now been relegated...

Presumably the red was for DOGSO which is a one game suspension. Three games are for serious foul play & violent conduct which wasn't so in this case.

I think the footage will help if they decide to appeal as the camera would have been at a better angle to see if the attacker was going towards goal or away from it. Not sure there were any covering defenders so only mitigation would be attacker's angle of approach. 

On 03/04/2023 at 11:47, shahanshahan said:

And rumours from a reasonable source on Twitter that the non-football staff at Coventry United have been made redundant....

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Presumably the red was for DOGSO which is a one game suspension. Three games are for serious foul play & violent conduct which wasn't so in this case.

I think the footage will help if they decide to appeal as the camera would have been at a better angle to see if the attacker was going towards goal or away from it. Not sure there were any covering defenders so only mitigation would be attacker's angle of approach. 

I was not aware that "Denying a goal or an Obvious Goal-Scoring Opportunity" had that abbreviation. Thank you!

• Like 1

Fair few decent results in the international break lately.

Tianna Teisar scored twice as Wales beat Kazakhstan 5-2 on Tuesday.
Then today, Elysia Boddy scored a 93rd equaliser for England against Slovenia. She played the full 90 as did Naomi Layzell
Both games in under-19 Euro qualification.

Tomorrow night sees Wales v Northern Ireland (KO 7:15pm) in a friendly in Cardiff.
Rachel Furness could potentially face off against (some of) her teammates Liv Clark, Ella Powell and/or Ffion Morgan!

• Like 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

And rumours from a reasonable source on Twitter that the non-football staff at Coventry United have been made redundant....

Sad to hear after they literally were the Phoenix rising from the flames a year ago 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Presumably they are going to keep the playing staff to complete their last three games, and then....? Is there a thought that the club's backers will take a drop down the system and keep going? A pity if so, but another stark warning that the women's game is often on tenuous footings.

I note they are a limited company, incorporated 25th January, 2018, based on the old Coventry Spartans club of old.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phantom said:

Naomi Layzell starts for the U19s this morning against Belarus 

England were 5-2 winners against Belarus.

Also on Thursday night (which I didn't comment at the time as I was at Wembley), Wales beat Northern Ireland 4-1.
For Wales, Liv Clark started in goal but Ffion Morgan & Ella Powell came on as subs.
Rachel Furness came on as a sub for NI.

It was the 50th Wales game for former City player Gemma Evans, and former Bristol City/Academy players Jess Fishlock & Angharad James scored

• Like 1

Interesting development for the former London City Lionesses head coach Melissa Phillips. Having left to go back to the USA to become assistant at Angel City in the NWSL, she's back in England as the new head coach at Brighton - who are currently bottom of the WSL (but have two games in hand). Will be interesting to see if she can keep them up - or get them promoted back if they do get relegated...