IGNORED

Bristol City Women

Leveller

On 21/07/2023 at 18:07, Lanterne Rouge said:

When you see those fixtures written down you really do see how much of a step up this season is going to be. They`re going to have to be on it every game.

Afraid it's looking like a disaster season with only Amy Rogers signed to strengthen the side. How the manager, or anybody else, can think the squad that got us promoted can compete at WSL level without bringing in 3 or 4 quality players is beyond me. Makes doing the hard work to win promotion almost a waste of time if we are not going to invest in the squad to have a chance of staying up.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Afraid it's looking like a disaster season with only Amy Rogers signed to strengthen the side. How the manager, or anybody else, can think the squad that got us promoted can compete at WSL level without bringing in 3 or 4 quality players is beyond me. Makes doing the hard work to win promotion almost a waste of time if we are not going to invest in the squad to have a chance of staying up.

I'm hoping that there are just delays as the majority of players are off on holiday, but compare to the philosophy of the mens team who had signings lined up long before the season finished and we went and signed them straight away

We'll be aiming for one place above the drop as things currently stand - it makes the first game almost a win or bust fixture 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm hoping that there are just delays as the majority of players are off on holiday, but compare to the philosophy of the mens team who had signings lined up long before the season finished and we went and signed them straight away

We'll be aiming for one place above the drop as things currently stand - it makes the first game almost a win or bust fixture 

Absolutely right.

City women are now in the big girls league and it’ll be tough competing against quality players in every match.

Unless City seriously strengthen they’re facing a truly tough season. I wouldn’t be surprised if they came straight down.

• Admin
29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely right.

City women are now in the big girls league and it’ll be tough competing against quality players in every match.

Unless City seriously strengthen they’re facing a truly tough season. I wouldn’t be surprised if they came straight down.

Which would be absolutely criminal of the club if this was purely because of a lack of investment, especially considering how hard the team have worked to get back to the WSL 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

Which would be absolutely criminal of the club if this was purely because of a lack of investment, especially considering how hard the team have worked to get back to the WSL 

At the moment, we have lost 6 players from the championship winning squad and added one player. At present, we will struggle to fill the bench. At least 4 players needed and they need to be experienced.

• Like 3

I’m hoping that they have held back on any significant changes until the new GM was in place. Also wonder whether they may have their eyes on one or two players from smaller English speaking World Cup sides who if they have gained the right experience this summer might be positive signings. Might be wildly optimistic but there’s still 2 months before the league kicks off. 

1 hour ago, miser said:

At the moment, we have lost 6 players from the championship winning squad and added one player. At present, we will struggle to fill the bench. At least 4 players needed and they need to be experienced.

I don’t follow it as closely as you, but I don’t recall us losing anyone of note…young Aspin has been loaned back hasn’t she?

Of course we need to recruit, but season is a good way away.

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t follow it as closely as you, but I don’t recall us losing anyone of note…young Aspin has been loaned back hasn’t she?

I think the point was that we have lost 6 players from last seasons squad and at present only added one

Making the squad even smaller

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lost 6 with first team experience (2 loans included). At present we have 12 for the starting line up plus 5 young uns for the bench (includes 2 under 18). Imagine this for the men's team in early June. It would be the ultimate meltdown.

• Thanks 1

We are miles off being remotely competitive at the moment imo. This ain’t ‘fun’ football any more, this is serious, real business. Super fit, sharpness with strength as well as football talent and skills - we need players with it all. 

This Season could be a total embarrassment if we don’t sign a minimum of 6 quality players with top league experience.  

We need a good vibe around the Club, particularly as the Women have now been fully integrated into use of our facilities. If the women are getting beat 8, 9, 10-0 every match and are on nil points for the majority of the Season that won’t be helpful. 

Negative perhaps, but realistic. 

• Admin
On 21/07/2023 at 20:06, 1960maaan said:

Thanks .
That's a shame , I know Arsenal & Spurs play at the main Stadium sometimes, I'd hoped to get a game in.

More information from Arsenal 

We won't be playing at The Emirates after all 

Screenshot_20230724_214724_Instagram.jpg

• Sad 1

On 21/07/2023 at 20:32, phantom said:

I'd assume that they will be the "big" games against rivals? 

Looks like you earlier post was spot on, sadly.

Going through the fixtures it looks the same at all the "big" Clubs. Even Brentford play at a local sports ground.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

On 24/07/2023 at 23:16, Parkwaymom said:

I’m hoping that they have held back on any significant changes until the new GM was in place. Also wonder whether they may have their eyes on one or two players from smaller English speaking World Cup sides who if they have gained the right experience this summer might be positive signings. Might be wildly optimistic but there’s still 2 months before the league kicks off. 

Eliot Caton announced as the new GM

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/caton-joins-as-general-manager/

Club have announced first five home games are on sale. No news yet about away supporters on where they get tickets from (maybe their own club?) and/or if they will have their own section

Adults £10 (£13 OTD)

65+/U22 £8 (£11 OTD)

U19 £6 (£8 OTD)

U12 £5 (£6 OTD)

More info & mates rate codes for season ticket holders in link in tweet below

• Thanks 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

No news yet about away supporters on where they get tickets from (maybe their own club?) and/or if they will have their own section

Genuine question, are there that many numbers of away followers that would warrant the effort to arrange a separate section for away fans?

On the basis that the whole of the lower Lansdown stand is currently available to purchase in, there is clearly no area for away fans

Having the lower Lansdown stand open is going to have large areas spare anyway most games, so I would assume like non league football (and the attendances are on a par) the easiest thing is people move seats depending on which way the team you are supporting is attacking?

34 minutes ago, phantom said:

Genuine question, are there that many numbers of away followers that would warrant the effort to arrange a separate section for away fans?

On the basis that the whole of the lower Lansdown stand is currently available to purchase in, there is clearly no area for away fans

Having the lower Lansdown stand open is going to have large areas spare anyway most games, so I would assume like non league football (and the attendances are on a par) the easiest thing is people move seats depending on which way the team you are supporting is attacking?

Don't think the numbers would warrant it, although Man City last had one supporter with a penetrating whiny nasal voice who I'd quite like to see segregated, possibly at the HPC whilst we play at Ashton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, phantom said:

are there that many numbers of away followers that would warrant the effort to arrange a separate section for away fans?

Didn't Liverpool have a large section in the lower Lansdown when they won the title on our patch a couple of years ago?

• Admin
45 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Didn't Liverpool have a large section in the lower Lansdown when they won the title on our patch a couple of years ago?

Was about 40/50 of them off a supporters coach, but they had booked themselves via our website I believe, rather than having a dedicated area 

That day was an exception with the two sides going for promotion at the point that tickets went on sale

It's going to take a massive jump in home fan numbers to even get close to looking busy

11 hours ago, phantom said:

For clubs with a much larger fanbase such as Man United, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal etc - then yes. Maybe have at least one block dedicated to them - and then go from there

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

It's been 4 years since she last played in the WSL, and she is now 30. Do you think she will be up to WSL standard?

I years since she played for the City in the Championship. I'd say yes based on that season. Quick and strong.

• Like 2

• Admin

JMP-Kaylan-Marckese_ac_006-1024x683.jpg

Goalkeeper Kaylan Marckese has signed on a season-long loan from Arsenal.

The 25-year-old has UEFA Women’s Champions League experience and is a two-time domestic league winner with HB Køge.

Born in the US, Marckese represented the Florida Gators at college level before being picked by Sky Blue FC, now known as Gotham FC, in the 2019 NWSL College Draft.

The following year, she moved to Iceland to represent Selfoss before signing for newly-promoted HB Køge in the Danish top flight in 2021.

Marckese spent two seasons with the club and helped them win back-to-back Kvindeliga titles, playing all eight of their Champions League matches and making 48 saves – more than any other goalkeeper in the competition.

She put pen to paper on a permanent deal with Arsenal in 2022 and made her club debut against FC Zürich.

On joining the Robins, Marckese commented: “I’m excited to get started and to play at Ashton Gate and experience the fans. I’m looking forward to getting to know the team and the community, especially because there is such a buzz around promotion back to the Women’s Super League.

“I can’t wait to get going with the girls and see what we can achieve together.”

• Like 2

21 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Wonder if this means the club will get a new GK in, or promote an academy GK up to the first team

Well now we know with Kaylan Marckese! Will be interesting to see if she can compete with Bentley, but she sounds like a great addition

For those at the men's game last night, I couldn't help but notice Abi Harrison was in attendance with one of the media guys. Seemed to be going around interviewing younger fans & doing Instagram stories in the club's account

I did see them from afar but I thought given my recent media appearances elsewhere, I'd duck this one out... ?

On 10/08/2023 at 13:46, shahanshahan said:

For those at the men's game last night, I couldn't help but notice Abi Harrison was in attendance with one of the media guys. Seemed to be going around interviewing younger fans & doing Instagram stories in the club's account

I did see them from afar but I thought given my recent media appearances elsewhere, I'd duck this one out... ?

Follow up video below.

There's one on Instagram of the players being asked who they think will win between England & Colombia, but I don't know how to share that on here...

• Admin

and another 

Shame we didn't stagger the announcements 

Danish striker Amalie Thestrup has signed for City on a two-year deal.

The 28-year-old’s career began in her home country with Brøndby IF, where she won the Elitedivisionen and Danish Cup double twice – in 2015 and 2017 – before spending time with Vejle BK and BSF.

In 2019 the forward made the switch to Europe to join Roma, where she spent a season before signing for Liverpool in the Barclays Women’s Championship.

She began a spell with PSV Eindhoven in 2021, then returning to the Barclays Women’s Super League side West Ham on loan in January 2023

FB_IMG_1692033192267.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

and another 

The 28-year-old’s career began in her home country with Brøndby IF, where she won the Elitedivisionen and Danish Cup double twice – in 2015 and 2017 – before spending time with Vejle BK and BSF.

In 2019 the forward made the switch to Europe to join Roma, where she spent a season before signing for Liverpool in the Barclays Women’s Championship.

She began a spell with PSV Eindhoven in 2021, then returning to the Barclays Women’s Super League side West Ham on loan in January 2023

FB_IMG_1692033192267.jpg

Nearly missed this as I was listening to Sound of the City ?

19 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not a lot of notice sadly 

Screenshot_20230814_181557_X.jpg

I briefly saw the tweet but I listen to Sound of the City live anyway (when I can).

Thought it was weird that Ed Hadwin kept previewing the feature as with "one of the Bristol City Women players" rather than say Satara Murray's name. Nonetheless, still a good, in-depth interview 

19 hours ago, phantom said:

and another 

FB_IMG_1692033192267.jpg

We've signed some decent players but mostly of Championship level so this is the sort of signing I've been looking for. Allied to her skill Amalie adds the type of experience needed if we are to establish ourselves in the WSL. 

• Like 1

• Admin

My niece was asking about tickets for the game Vs Man Utd, only 342 tickets left on sale, great to see such interest and can only see it increasing nearer to kick off and also on the back of what the Lionesses achieve this week

I wonder where they will open next?

Assume they will sell block by block going around into the South Stand, but am I actually surprised the club have not released these yet to enable people to get groups of tickets together

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

My niece was asking about tickets for the game Vs Man Utd, only 342 tickets left on sale, great to see such interest and can only see it increasing nearer to kick off and also on the back of what the Lionesses achieve this week

I wonder where they will open next?

Assume they will sell block by block going around into the South Stand, but am I actually surprised the club have not released these yet to enable people to get groups of tickets together

They've seemingly opened one block in the Dolman for the Arsenal game - only W14 and E31 show any availability at present.

• Admin
18 hours ago, myol'man said:

Why are they not using the Dolman Stand first to have a crowd in shot for televised matches?

Valid question considering the club made such an effort to get everyone in the Dolman Stand for the title winning game on TV last season

I will ask the question

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Lauren Smith has signed a new three year contract!!!

Thought the club were going to do an up to date version of the Wolf of Wall Street meme they used to announce Nigel Pearson signed a new contract back in 2021. They didn't, so I made it myself...