IGNORED

Bristol City Women

Leveller

First point after six league games. Spurs are also without a win but are just above City with three from seven. Great show of determination, but it's looking to be a tough season. Hopefully the Covid situation will not be a big factor from now on.

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Don't for a minute believe the women's team are comparable to a National League South side. 

The Swedish national team lost to a Swedish Premier League sides U18:s.

You have to go far lower in the divisions.

I agree with people who say it doesn’t matter but you are also correct.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Do we for example have this debate when women play golf or tennis?

There is similar debate about women's tennis and prize money, but there doesn't seem to be quite the same quality gulf as there is in Football or Rugby. You'd expect peak Venus or Serena Williams to beat most u18 English boys players for example. Interestingly women's tennis is held in fairly high esteem (compared to men's vs women's football).

On 08/11/2020 at 17:01, frenchred said:

Don't mean a thing to me I guess they are just less crap?

By your logic we may as well just shut down all football below men's champions league because by comparison everything else is crap.

• Like 3

Not sure what following they have back in the UK or how many watch them play. I love looking at the Bristol City progress. This week city 2 spurs 2. Chloe Logarzo only 25 years old scored and is a great prospect for the club, came from Sydney in oz and has great potential. The other City goal was from Ebony Salmon.  I hope they receive the support back in the UK they deserve. 

Not sure if they play at BS3 or another home venue ? 

5 minutes ago, City oz said:

Not sure what following they have back in the UK or how many watch them play. I love looking at the Bristol City progress. This week city 2 spurs 2. Chloe Logarzo only 25 years old scored and is a great prospect for the club, came from Sydney in oz and has great potential. The other City goal was from Ebony Salmon.  I hope they receive the support back in the UK they deserve. 

Not sure if they play at BS3 or another home venue ? 

They receive a reasonable bit of coverage and backing here. Sadly they now play their home games at Twerton Park (ex- Bristol Rovers potato field) so I'd imagine not many people wishing to travel that far in the current climate (assuming spectators were allowed).

Used to see them when they played in Bristol, an entertaining Sunday afternoon, 20 minutes up the motorway!

• The title was changed to Bristol City Women and The WSL

Shocking news that the two teams have taken the decision to apply the boot at this time. If they were men's teams it might be seen in a more predictable light, but the WSL is not that kind of environment - up to now, that is! Beard has a history of success with Liverpool not so long ago, so his departure is a bit more of a surprise. Clearly the pressure for achievment is growing more.

Could these moves give City women a bit of encouragement? There are precious few points among the bottom clubs at the moment so the turmoil might be an advantage.

And I'll be the first to say 'Job for Cotts/LJ/Phil Neville... to get that out of the way.

• Like 1

• Admin

Hard earned 1-1 draw

Reading had so many chances, but Baggaley was in top form

Sadly it was a handling error that resulted in the equaliser, frustrating to watch with misplaced passes and on a number of times City looked like winning it on the counter attack

Good to see a crowd at The Madejski, apart from the Reading fan that decided to count at the top of his voice everytime our keeper was holding onto the ball

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Good point, thought they were still at SGS.

Does seem odd, Bath City have crowds (so ground is ok), Reading had fans in yesterday (so not a league rule)

These next two games could potentially be the difference between staying in the league or not too

image.png

Nice counter attack goal, seemed like Reading had the rest of the opportunities though. When you're down the bottom that's a very good point. Against Spurs in the game before they scored twice and had some other chances too so I think that was the best performance so far from what I have seen. They haven't won a home league game for 2 seasons but if they beat Villa then they will start looking capable of staying up.

A bad scoreline and home to West Ham on Sunday. Pressure is really on now. Maybe Mr Lansdown's recent cashing in of some shares will be put to good use?

Hopes circulating that fans will be allowed back in (to Twerton) for Brighton game on January 10th. That needs to have a big, positive effect.

I'm looking to see how long it takes to get a home win because the one time I went to watch them play was the last time they won at home in the wsl, sad to say it was about 11-12 months before lockdown begun so they were struggling massively even before fans left.

One stat I look at which I think is more important in women's football is goals scored, villa had scored 3 before tonight in 6 or so games so to get 4 in 90 minutes isn't good for City. Odds on to go down now but they need to move on quickly to another big game.

Edited by Baba Yaga

• Admin

It's sad to watch.

They clearly don't lack effort and commitment but they are starting to look well out of their depth. 

Lose to West Ham Sunday and relegation is looming faster and faster. 

All efforts should have been made to get home supporters in tonight and Sunday to boost the team.

It must be so demoralising to get beaten practically every week.

Somewhere along the way It's all been mis managed behind the scenes. 

It wasn't that long ago they were in the final rounds of the Champions league, we've gone backwards as so many other clubs have invested time, money and effort and left us a long way behind in every department 

• Admin
1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

How is the manager surviving?

My hunch isn't if they lose to West Ham that could be it.

But in truth it's like trying to drill through metal using wooden tools, Tanya Oxtoby has nothing to work with. 

One thing that dawned on me, all the big foreign signings have vanished. Wasn't there some top Australian and Japanese international signed?

42 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's sad to watch.

They clearly don't lack effort and commitment but they are starting to look well out of their depth. 

All efforts should have been made to get home supporters in tonight and Sunday to boost the team.

It wasn't that long ago they were in the final rounds of the Champions league, we've gone backwards as so many other clubs have invested time, money and effort and left us a long way behind in every department 

Was chatting to someone about no supporters tonight at the game. They believe because Bristol is Tier 3 they don’t want people travelling to a tier 2 area. 

7 hours ago, phantom said:

It's sad to watch.

I'll say it.

Lansdown gains nothing financially from Womens Football.

Even less in the circles he mixes in - it's a joke to his 'fellow businessmen'

Yet this goal surely shows there is a future.

If there ain't no £££ to be made - then Lansdown ain't interested.

That's why they are at Twerton - watch Lansdown now buy the ground, add facilities and then invest. Plus the rugby potential....oh , and land to build on.

Remind anyone of Ashton Gate / Vale?

Edited by The Constant Rabbit

• Admin
9 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Was chatting to someone about no supporters tonight at the game. They believe because Bristol is Tier 3 they don’t want people travelling to a tier 2 area. 

This is the weak excuse that the club claimed, at the end of the day Bath City manage crowds, and I am 100% sure not all their supporters come from Bath. It could have been managed but the opportunity to give the women a lift at two massive fixtures has been lazily missed sadly

3 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I'll say it.

Lansdown gains nothing financially from Womens Football.

Even less in the circles he mixes in - it's a joke to his 'fellow businessmen'

I'd have thought the publicity alone of Bristol City going toe to toe with the likes of those teams in that league would be enough?

The club could then tap into a bigger financial pool for sponsorship?

51 minutes ago, phantom said:

This is the weak excuse that the club claimed, at the end of the day Bath City manage crowds, and I am 100% sure not all their supporters come from Bath. It could have been managed but the opportunity to give the women a lift at two massive fixtures has been lazily missed sadly

I'd have thought the publicity alone of Bristol City going toe to toe with the likes of those teams in that league would be enough?

The club could then tap into a bigger financial pool for sponsorship?

I agree, but if you read the government guidelines that’s the rules.

Same will happen when Ashton gate can let in crowds, Postcodes will be checked to see if you are in a Tier that allows travel.

• Admin
34 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I agree, but if you read the government guidelines that’s the rules.

Same will happen when Ashton gate can let in crowds, Postcodes will be checked to see if you are in a Tier that allows travel.

Completely agree

It could have been resolved

The reality is woman’s football at this stage of its development is not a “ business proposition “, but for a club like City it is an opportunity to provide a platform to grow the game in the South West. Rather than invest in top players from who knows where I believe City would be better off to allow the team to be relegated to a level that they can compete in, and use what resources we have to produce our own players from local girls. 
We will never match Man City / Chelsea etc in this league but we can help grow the sport in the SW and in time begin to climb the women’s pyramid whilst providing professional standard access / facilities to the girls of our area.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Erithacus said:

So who is going to step into the office in the interim? Technical Director 9-19 and Assistant Coach Marco Chiavetta? Or is this an opportunity to cast the net further?

I wonder if the guy that stepped in a few games back is being lined up?

Seemed odd at the time to bring someone in with no connection to the side.

VERY difficult morally for the club to sack her now 

• Admin

Losing 1-0 at half time at home to West Ham, attacking header was cleared off the line but stuck back of City player and went in off back of City player. 

City thought they'd equalised shortly after  with a great finish from a cross from a free kick.

City offer no threat up front sacrificing the second striker for a player to sit infront of the defence. 

Game has got very niggly in final ten minutes of the half, with a couple of City players needlessly lashing out at opponents.

I swear I have never witnessed so many foul throws not given before 

• Admin

Well that got progressively worse.

A long aimless clearance by West Ham was well kept in, an early cross was put into the box, with the City defender sleeping the West ham striker got across her and finished smartly. 

Oxtoby finally recognised that City needed a second striker bringing on Salmon to replace the ineffective Humphrey (Carla is an enigma, she runs around alot but rarely touches the ball for a centre midfielder)

The next attack Baggaley made a great save, but rather than putting the ball out and regrouping the defender oddly played the ball out wide, the West ham player whipped the ball straight back in giving a free header from a matter of yards out to make it 0-3.

Near the end another long ball caught City asleep, Baggaley made a save when West ham really should have scored, the ball was hacked away only for a West ham player to dribble unchallenged around the city midfield before setting up her team mate for a simple finish (0-4).

It was really odd how often City should put the ball out when in danger but they created numerous problems keeping the ball alive. 

One personally annoying thing from watching and playing football you learn about movement off the ball, watching City today their decision making on numerous occasions was very poor 

For me I'm not sure what happens now, the squad is clearly a long way of the other sides in their league, yes there are a handful of quality player's but too many aren't good enough. So removing Oxtoby maybe isn't the natural answer. But on the basis she's pregnant, I think she should step aside. 

Perhaps someone else can get something out of this squad as many simple things are done badly. 

Short of the unlikely chance City get promotion form they're going to finish rock bottom and well adrift of everyone else. 

Sounds like the heart has gone out of the side, as the results are certainly not the sort that will give any hope. After nine games: 5 goals for, 39 against, 2 points.

It feels like the season Dave Edmunson took over after half the players left; that was a relegation from the start.

Oddly the Conti Cup results are far better, but that won't be much of a consolation.

Sorry but I don’t think it’s just the coach. Other clubs have invested heavily in players and it’s becoming clear that SL doesn’t really want Bristol Sport to spend anything much on the women’s game. That just seems incredibly short sighted as it will be far harder to get back to this level than it would be to stay there.

• Like 2

It seems to me that women like playing football but not watching other women play it if the crowds in the women's game are anything to go by, plenty of them seem to be happy to watch our men's team and until that changes I just can't see the women's game really taking off ever as a  profitable spectator sport but it's great so many love playing the game though.

On 11/12/2020 at 22:35, phantom said:

I wonder if the guy that stepped in a few games back is being lined up?

Seemed odd at the time to bring someone in with no connection to the side.

VERY difficult morally for the club to sack her now 

Gary Probert.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/teams/academy-staff/gary-probert/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gary-probert-93aba923

• Like 1

• Admin

Currently playing at table topping Manchester United. 

Much better performance so far and maybe a bit unlucky to be 2-0 at half time. 

First goal was a thunderbolt nobody is saving and the second on halftime was poor marking from a corner. 

A couple of players returning to the City starting line up definitely making an improvement. If they had played like this the past two home games we might have gotten something out of those games. 

I understand why we set up defensively but Salmon really needs support up front. 

One thing that really pisses me off about women's football is the need for them to wear makeup whilst playing, you'd think some of the United players are going straight on a night out

• Like 1

• Admin

Disappointing score line, but Uniteds squad is a world away from ours.

Can a new manager get any more from our squad? 

If so make the change now. 

I know I keep saying this, our players are from a lower level to most opponents now, we'll put in 100% every game but it's more than that.

Those in control need to question whether they really want to push the women's team or let them continue to fall behind more and more 

• Admin

I really hope that Bristol City seek clarification from the FAWSL following them sanctioning the postponement of Man City Vs West Ham game this weekend

For anyone wondering why I say this. Man City have four players who have tested positive for Corona Virus, these four have all just returned from a holiday in Dubai where they are reported to have caught the virus.

But the real issue, earlier in the season we had five players who were isolating following PHE advice, and the FAWSL decided that the game should go ahead

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

I really hope that Bristol City seek clarification from the FAWSL following them sanctioning the postponement of Man City Vs West Ham game this weekend

For anyone wondering why I say this. Man City have four players who have tested positive for Corona Virus, these four have all just returned from a holiday in Dubai where they are reported to have caught the virus.

But the real issue, earlier in the season we had five players who were isolating following PHE advice, and the FAWSL decided that the game should go ahead

Agreed, similarly questions should be asked why a holiday to Dubai was authorised mid season.

On 20/12/2020 at 19:03, cidercity1987 said:

Why is this lady Tanya still in a job? Wouldnt happen in the mens game and they want equality 

For some reason that really made me laugh ???

I can see the headline now....Lee Tomlin, not overweight, but pregnant. ???

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Guardian have picked up on it and the reporter specifically mentions in a tweet about why arsenal/Man City can cancel after this but we had to play. Shame she’s on leave for a month and someone else is writing the story. 

• Like 1