IGNORED

Bristol City Women

Leveller

Good question. I have trawled through the available data and found the match report for the last (defeat) against Everton is yet to be filed on the club website, nor is the attendance given. Presumably no-one could be bothered after such a miserable season.

But the SkySports site gives a figure, so I have crunched the numbers and City Women's average gate for WSL games last season was 6,974. There were two gates in five figures (Man Utd and Arsenal), two of about 9,000 for Chelsea and Man City, but most were of the order of about 4-5,000.

How many will we get this season is the obvious next question. Would the club be likely to announce the number of season tickets sold?

• Like 1

On 23/07/2024 at 09:12, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

A long final away day but if you're thinking about going think also about the weekend. I don't know where exactly Durham ladies play but Durham is a beautiful small City with a stunning cathedral. 

https://durhamwfc.co.uk/maiden-castle/

They play in Durham. Was one of the away days I was really tempted to last time in the Championship, but it's so far away. Thankfully, it's on a bank holiday weekend so that could be convincing for those who want to make the effort

The first home game of the season has been selected for live coverage on the new YouTube channel for the Championship. There's also a new channel for the WSL, and I assume games that used to be on the FA Player will be streamed there instead - as this will be the first season both leagues are run by the NewCo instead of the FA

• Like 2

• Admin
On 24/07/2024 at 14:38, shahanshahan said:

https://durhamwfc.co.uk/maiden-castle/

They play in Durham. Was one of the away days I was really tempted to last time in the Championship, but it's so far away. Thankfully, it's on a bank holiday weekend so that could be convincing for those who want to make the effort

I'd recommend flying to Newcastle, getting the metro to Newcastle station, short train journey to Durham

On another subject it was media day for the championship today, this is our new home kit 

Screenshot_20240725_204033_Gallery.jpg

• Robin 1

No announcement from the club yet, but Shae Yanez has announced on her Instagram that she is leaving

"Thank you Bristol City for the amazing opportunity to play for such an amazing club 🔥 Throughout the highs and lows, this team stuck together and so did the fans. I can’t thank the fans enough for the unreal support throughout the season; your support is unmatched ❤️ Grateful to my staff, teammates, and fans for helping me grow as both a person and a player. Lifelong memories and friends created 🤗! For now, it is time for a new challenge"

• Sad 1

On 19/07/2024 at 15:28, Full nelson said:

Do you know what we get instead of the reading game seeing as we've paid our ST already. 

The pre-season friendly with Crystal Palace is now included in season tickets

Screenshot_20240801-102001~3.png

10 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

No announcement from the club yet, but Shae Yanez has announced on her Instagram that she is leaving

"Thank you Bristol City for the amazing opportunity to play for such an amazing club 🔥 Throughout the highs and lows, this team stuck together and so did the fans. I can’t thank the fans enough for the unreal support throughout the season; your support is unmatched ❤️ Grateful to my staff, teammates, and fans for helping me grow as both a person and a player. Lifelong memories and friends created 🤗! For now, it is time for a new challenge"

The club have finally posted on their socials, with much less wording, and (at present) no web article

41 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

The club have finally posted on their socials, with much less wording, and (at present) no web article

As I've just said on Twitter, it's not always the club that is slow on reporting these things. It may well have been that the club planned on releasing the news today, 1st August, but if Shae blurts it out on social media, not a lot can be done about it. 

On 23/07/2024 at 23:44, Erithacus said:

Good question. I have trawled through the available data and found the match report for the last (defeat) against Everton is yet to be filed on the club website, nor is the attendance given. Presumably no-one could be bothered after such a miserable season.

But the SkySports site gives a figure, so I have crunched the numbers and City Women's average gate for WSL games last season was 6,974. There were two gates in five figures (Man Utd and Arsenal), two of about 9,000 for Chelsea and Man City, but most were of the order of about 4-5,000.

How many will we get this season is the obvious next question. Would the club be likely to announce the number of season tickets sold?

Final home game of the season v Everton, attendance was 4,112. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Shame, thought she was a good keeper, amazing in game at Villa where we somehow got a draw.

• Like 2

Last season's captain Megan Connolly has confirmed on her Instagram that she is also leaving

"It has has been a pleasure to play for @bristolcitywomensfc this past year. It was always a dream of mine to captain a team in the WSL and I was privileged to carry that honour this past season.

I can’t speak highly enough of the group of players I was able to step onto the pitch with week in week out.

Thank you to Lauren and all the staff for all you have done for me this past year.
Finally , thank you to all the fans for the continuous support and setting record attendances! All the best to staff and players for the upcoming coming season"

• Sad 1

Perhaps inevitable after a dismal season ending at the bottom of the table but I am concerned about the level of players leaving now compared to those joining. Hopefully there will be better news before too soon.

• Like 2

I think that a good turnover of players is needed given how that team got so used to just playing not to get thrashed last season. What is frustrating is how long it’s taking to assemble a new group that will need significant time together to gel that they won’t really get before the start of the season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Last season's captain Megan Connolly has confirmed on her Instagram that she is also leaving

"It has has been a pleasure to play for @bristolcitywomensfc this past year. It was always a dream of mine to captain a team in the WSL and I was privileged to carry that honour this past season.

I can’t speak highly enough of the group of players I was able to step onto the pitch with week in week out.

Thank you to Lauren and all the staff for all you have done for me this past year.
Finally , thank you to all the fans for the continuous support and setting record attendances! All the best to staff and players for the upcoming coming season"

Feels slightly inevitable that our other decent players who should be playing in the WSL ie. Thestrup & Layzell, will be off. Hope I'm wrong.

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The exodus continues which was inevitable as soon as an underfunded City side lost their WSL status. I fear it's going to be a, long hard struggle this season. 

Compared to the last relegation in 2021, there are still more players that have remained at the club (for the moment) - which I hope can be one positive.

But the club need to get the right recruitment this summer as there's still more outgoings than incomings

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/report-bristol-city-5-0-gwalia-united/

First pre-season result, and it's a win against the Welsh side from the National League South. Goals from Ffion Morgan, Tianna Teisar, Mari Ward (2) & Jamie-Lee Napier.

No details of the full squad revealed

I think Mari Ward will have a big season, showed flashes of her ability last season.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chessels Chick said:

Mike Stowell's 16 year old daughter made her debut in goal today 🤩😍

For City? If so, that's cool (also, how do you know that she played!?)

P.S. I had to look up who he was, as he played for City long before I started becoming a fan. Apparently his wife is former footballer Rachel Stowell, having played for England & a previous incarnation of City Women

Edited by shahanshahan

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

For City? If so, that's cool (also, how do you know that she played!?)

P.S. I had to look up who he was, as he played for City long before I started becoming a fan. Apparently his wife is former footballer Rachel Stowell, having played for England & a previous incarnation of City Women

Yes I meant to put who he was as was so long ago! He played for City and is now goalkeeping coach for Leicester (was there in Pearson days)

Rach is friend of mine having played with her for City Women - she posted it on FB 😍

Screenshot_20240805_163734_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Chessels Chick
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/murray-leaves-city/

Satara Murray leaves by mutual consent.

When she came back last summer I thought she'd have a similar season as she did in her first time at the club, but unfortunately form & injuries got in the way

Murray looked shit. 

Any rumours about Threstrup? Hope she stays

• Admin
1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Murray looked shit. 

Agree, always looked slow and turned like an oil tanker 

Always looked to be carrying too much timber for a top level sportswoman 

4 hours ago, Chessels Chick said:

Yes I meant to put who he was as was so long ago! He played for City and is now goalkeeping coach for Leicester (was there in Pearson days)

Rach is friend of mine having played with her for City Women - she posted it on FB 😍

Amazing! Thank you for sharing

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Not that I'm aware of. Thestrup played in the pre-season game on Sunday. Club released this photo on their social media.

I believe she's still under contract for this season anyway

Thestrup.jpg

• Thanks 1

Former City captain Aimee Palmer returns to the Championship by joining Southampton.

As she scored for Leicester against City in the opening game of last season, I've seen jokes that she could repeat this for the Saints with City in their first game this season...

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/news/article/aimee-palmer-bolsters-womens-side-as-latest-arrival

On 06/08/2024 at 11:49, shahanshahan said:

Tom Garry of The Guardian has posted that Northern Ireland goalkeeper Jacqueline Burns is expected to join City. Was most recently at Reading 

The club have confirmed this, with a rather nice Friday Night Dinner-relater announcement!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Signings are like buses...

City have announced Greta Humphries on a season-long loan from Chelsea.

The 19 year old defender is a product of Chelsea's academy & signed her professional contract over the summer.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/humphries-signs-for-the-robins/

We've done OK with previous loans  from Chelsea so this could be a diamond signing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coach said:

Liv Clark joins the Dutch Champions FC Twente, great move for her. 

Definitely. Top flight football in Europe.

She also used to be part of the team at Dean Gerken's coaching academy, so I doubt she'll continue to do that

• Like 1

• Admin
10 hours ago, Eco said:

We've signed 19 yr old Chelsea defender Greta Humphries on loan for the season.

See posts from last Thursday

On 08/08/2024 at 16:14, shahanshahan said:

Signings are like buses...

City have announced Greta Humphries on a season-long loan from Chelsea.

The 19 year old defender is a product of Chelsea's academy & signed her professional contract over the summer.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/humphries-signs-for-the-robins/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/report-city-women-play-second-pre-season-friendly-at-forest/

More of a summary than a match report. No details on who started or whoever exactly played. Apparently 10 substitutions were made by City during the game.

According to a friend of mine at the game, there were some trialists that played...

On 09/08/2024 at 16:10, shahanshahan said:

Definitely. Top flight football in Europe.

She also used to be part of the team at Dean Gerken's coaching academy, so I doubt she'll continue to do that

That's correct, my daughter attends Dean's academy and is gutted that Liv has had to stop the coaching.

• Sad 1

• Admin

Interesting comparison in costs...

TAKEN FROM: https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/sir-jim-...million-453091

Sir Jim Ratcliffe says Man United men’s team ‘make £800m’ whilst women’s team ‘cost £10million’

Ratcliffe was previously criticised for moving the women’s team out of their training facility to accommodate more men.
Sir Jim Ratcliffe has stated in a recent interview that the Man United men’s team ‘make £800m’ whilst the women’s team ‘cost £10million’.

Speaking to The Times, Ratcliffe spoke on his initial lifelong ambition to take part-ownership of the club and the Glazers:

“At the end of the day, in my view, the key thing is to just have a good relationship with the other owners, which are the Glazer family — the six siblings.

“You know, they’re really good people. And they are passionate about the club. The key is not the legal agreements.

“The key is that we have common objectives, which are to see Manchester United be successful, and that we trust each other.”

“The men’s team make £800 million, the women’s team cost £10 million.”

An Ineos spokesperson after stated:

“We’ve invested £10 million in the women’s facility and they will be back as soon as the £50 million revamp of Carrington is complete.”

The women’s team were formerly moved out of the training building at Carrington in order to accommodate more men, causing mass criticism online.

The Guardian previously reported that the women’s team would be moved into portable buildings at the club’s Carrington training complex.

Perhaps that is why (former City keeper) Mary Earps decided to go to PSG after five seasons. I wonder if others will do likewise against such a background.

Also interesting to see in a public quote how much they spend on the women's side. Rather more than down this end I strongly suspect.

On 15/08/2024 at 13:31, phantom said:

Shame it wasn't Carla returning

Humphries, not Humphrey

Although from what I've seen from the latter, she seems to be happy at Charlton. Although she'll be facing City for the first time since she left (as I think Liverpool & Charlton were in different divisions to City at the time)

On 15/08/2024 at 13:02, shahanshahan said:

Southampton have confirmed that their pre-season fixture with City at the RHPC is in fact today! KO 2pm, behind closed doors

City have confirmed that they were 3-2 winners against Southampton

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-edge-saints-in-pre-season-friendly/

No photos from the game on their match report. Saints were 1-0 up at HT via Atlanta Primus. Jesse Woolley equalised before former City loanee Molly Pike made it 2-1, then goals from Carrie Jones & academy player Maddie Durrant made it 3-2

Very similar outcome to beating Leicester 3-2 in pre-season then losing to them on the opening day of last season. Hopefully the latter doesn't happen again this time!

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

City have confirmed that they were 3-2 winners against Southampton

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-edge-saints-in-pre-season-friendly/

No photos from the game on their match report. Saints were 1-0 up at HT via Atlanta Primus. Jesse Woolley equalised before former City loanee Molly Pike made it 2-1, then goals from Carrie Jones & academy player Maddie Durrant made it 3-2

Very similar outcome to beating Leicester 3-2 in pre-season then losing to them on the opening day of last season. Hopefully the latter doesn't happen again this time!

Just seems bizarre to me to play a friendly against the side you are going to be playing first match of the season, as you say did not do any good for us last season! 

• Like 1

The draw for the group stages of the Women's League Cup (formerly known as the Conti Cup) takes place this afternoon.
City are in the Southern section, ball number 11

https://womensleagues.thefa.com/womens-league-cup-group-stage-draw-confirmed/

Details for the 2024-25 group stage draw of the Women’s League Cup have now been confirmed.

The draw will take place on talkSPORT2’s Social Show at 3.30pm on Monday 19 August, and will be conducted by former England international Lianne Sanderson.

It will be split into two sections – northern and southern – with ball numbers and structure as follows:

Northern Section

1. Everton
2. Sunderland
3. Blackburn Rovers
4. Sheffield United
5. Liverpool
6. Newcastle United
7. Manchester United
8. Durham

The northern section will be split into two groups consisting of four teams.

The first four numbers out of the bag will be placed in Group A, while the remaining four numbers will be placed in Group B.

Southern Section

1. Brighton & Hove Albion
2. West Ham United
3. Birmingham City
4. Crystal Palace
5. Southampton
6. Portsmouth
7. Aston Villa
8. Charlton Athletic
9. London City Lionesses
10. Leicester City
11. Bristol City
12. Tottenham Hotspur

The southern section will be split into three groups consisting of four teams.

The first four numbers out of the bag will be placed in Group C, the next four numbers in Group D, and the final four numbers in Group E.

Group Stage Fixture Dates

2/3 October 2024
16/17 October 2024 & 13/14 November 2024 (Only required if either Arsenal or Manchester City enter the Group Stage)
23/24 November 2024
11/12 December 2024

Knockout Stages

Quarter Finals: 22/23 January 2025
Semi Finals: 5/6 February 2025
Final: 15/16 March 2025
UEFA Women’s Championship League Teams

Chelsea will enter the competition at the Quarter Final Stage.

If either Arsenal or Manchester City exit the UWCL in either Rounds 1 or 2, then they will enter the League Cup at the Group Stage (playing their first match on 16/17 October).

A draw would take place to determine which group (A or B) Manchester City and (C,D or E) Arsenal would join.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gutted to see her go but the move is understandable, especially for a WSL club that is pushing for trophies. Will be interesting to know what the club record feels received is though

P.S. At least the club have received a fee from Man City this time (when Lauren Hemp left as a youngster she left on a free)

50 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Gutted to see her go but the move is understandable, especially for a WSL club that is pushing for trophies. Will be interesting to know what the club record feels received is though

P.S. At least the club have received a fee from Man City this time (when Lauren Hemp left as a youngster she left on a free)

Let's hope some more Naomi's are coming through the academy. Central defence looks a bit thin currently with Aspin, Connolly, Murray and Layzell gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Let's hope some more Naomi's are coming through the academy. Central defence looks a bit thin currently with Aspin, Connolly, Murray and Layzell gone.

36 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

See our defence, do we have one now? 

We have Greta Humphries on loan from Chelsea. Ella Powell, Chloe Mustaki & Mari Ward are all still at the club as far as I'm aware. Sille Struck signed a new deal. Harley Bennett has joined over the summer.

Think there are other options but I can't recall them off the top of my head right now

Edited by shahanshahan

Layzell's departure tells you all you need to know about the team and the club's approach to this season. Whilst I can sympathise with her in striving to be the best player she can be and that Man City has every aspect covered in that respect, it is still a sad day to see such young talent go. Seems like the women's side is mirroring the men's  - we are a selling club. Furthermore, we can expect little chance of bouncing straight back to the WSL.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

The draw for the group stages of the Women's League Cup (formerly known as the Conti Cup) takes place this afternoon.
City are in the Southern section, ball number 11

https://womensleagues.thefa.com/womens-league-cup-group-stage-draw-confirmed/

Group D

Birmingham City
Leicester City
Bristol City
Brighton & Hove Albion

All fixture dates/times to be finalised...