IGNORED

Bristol City Women

Leveller

I don't know how much the previous record fee received was, but I suspect Layzell's won't be making Mr Lansdown sleep soundly now. Interesting to quote Lauren Smith:

"...we’d never stand in the way of a player’s progression... I’m sure she’ll have a fantastic career..."

The Reality, I guess.

16 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I don't know how much the previous record fee received was, but I suspect Layzell's won't be making Mr Lansdown sleep soundly now. Interesting to quote Lauren Smith:

"...we’d never stand in the way of a player’s progression... I’m sure she’ll have a fantastic career..."

The Reality, I guess.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for this type of deal 5k...........50k...........500k , or what ?

34 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Does anyone have a ballpark figure for this type of deal 5k...........50k...........500k , or what ?

World record is apparently £685k. This one I would guess will be £50k or lower.

• Thanks 2

• Admin

Wouldn't see it as a great loss, but her timing is awful. 

Unless she's not been backed as promised and she's been left with no option but to resign, she should have made her mind up at the end of last season 

Sadly NDAs will prevent any information coming out 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Wouldn't see it as a great loss, but her timing is awful. 

Pre-season friendly at home this Sunday against Crystal Palace, then the season opener against Southampton the following weekend 

Plus there's the open training session due to happen on Wednesday.

As someone who has had contact with club officials in the past (mainly in regards to SC&T business), I have not heard any rumours or hints that something like this could happen...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13781327/Lauren-Smith-resigns-Bristol-City-womens-manager.html

Lauren Smith has resigned from her role as manager of Bristol City Women, Mail Sport can reveal.

Smith, who has been in charge of the club since 2021, is understood to have informed her players of the decision on Monday afternoon.

The Robins were relegated to the Championship last season after Smith had guided them to promotion in the previous campaign.

Smith’s departure throws the club into chaos with just two weeks until the new season starts. 

The club has seen 10 players depart following their demotion to the second tier, with just three new arrivals.

Experienced players like Rachel Furness, Lisa Evans and Megan Connolly have all left the club along with promising youngsters Naomi Layzell and Maddi Wilde.

Speaking after the club’s relegation, Smith indicated she would be staying on in her role. ‘We have to start looking at what next year looks like,’ Smith said.

‘I’ll be working with the chairman to make sure that we do what we need to do to make sure that we are stronger next year.

‘We have to continue to build and that’s on the pitch, off the pitch and to make sure our fanbase is as incredible as it is right now, next year.

‘All of us as a club are part of that and we will be looking to make sure we continue this trend and excitement about women’s football in Bristol.’

The Robins will continue to play all of their home games at Ashton Gate next season, despite dropping into the Championship.

Mail Sport has contacted Bristol City for comment.

15 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

An offer from another club maybe? Hope it isn’t due to lack of backing.

If there is an offer, then I don't think it's another WSL or Championship club. All of them have existing managers/head coaches already 

At time of writing, the club still haven't done any announcement of their own

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

An offer from another club maybe? Hope it isn’t due to lack of backing.

But you wouldn’t be surprised though would you?

Imho they didn’t back her last season.  A real missed opportunity to make City a regular WSL team and build us.

Will be interesting to see second tier attendances at AG this time around.

Having said all that, I thought she struggled last season.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

What a sad state of affairs at the club! Seems to be falling apart at the seam.

Yeah…world class training facilities, amazing Matchday facilities, an exciting team being managed by a manager that many observers feel is going places, no debt, a women’s manager who delivered a promotion from an amateur league with a full time professional squad and the following season managed to fail to deliver anything whatsoever..I can see why you feel the club is falling apart..

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

37 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

What a sad state of affairs at the club! Seems to be falling apart at the seam.

Shambles. The club had a fantastic opportunity to strengthen last January to try and stay in the WSL and didn't.

Now we have 10 experienced players out and just 3 in. Be lucky to stay in the Championship unless the club start backing our ladies. 

All the more galling considering the investment would be peanuts compared to the men.

Edited by old_eastender
  • Like 6

• Admin
Just now, redsontour said:

Yeah…world class training facilities, amazing Matchday facilities, an exciting team being managed by a manager that many observers feel is going places, no debt, a women’s manager who delivered a promotion from an amateur league with a full time professional squad and the following season managed to fail to deliver anything whatsoever..I can see why you feel the club is falling apart..

It goes much deeper than what you have described 

I'd also question anyone ever referring to her being a Manager going places 

She clearly struggled last season and was massively out of her depth. She should have been sacked last season when there was still a mathematical chance to stay up. 

Our home record alone last season was horrendous 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

It goes much deeper than what you have described 

I'd also question anyone ever referring to her being a Manager going places 

She clearly struggled last season and was massively out of her depth. She should have been sacked last season when there was still a mathematical chance to stay up. 

Our home record alone last season was horrendous 

Quite agree, her refusal to deviate from 5 at the back, playing Abi Harrison as a midfielder and refusing to give Shania Hayles more than the last 5 minutes of a game contributed massively to their relegation.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

If there is an offer, then I don't think it's another WSL or Championship club. All of them have existing managers/head coaches already 

At time of writing, the club still haven't done any announcement of their own

The Mail seem to be the only media running with this.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Imho they didn’t back her last season.  A real missed opportunity to make City a regular WSL team and build us.

I think any manager would have struggled bearing in mind the lack of overall quality in the squad.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wouldn’t tbh - Last season (as tough as it was always going to be) does feel like a bit of a missed opportunity.

But my caveat was asking about whether she has moved to another club, as that would (possibly) paint a slightly different picture.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/lauren-smith-leaves-city-women/

Bristol City Women can confirm the departure of Lauren Smith as Head Coach after a long and successful association with the Club.

Smith joined City in 2010 as an Under-14s coach. In 2014 she became a full-time employee as the club’s 9-19 years Technical Director and First Team Assistant Coach. In 2017 she left to become Assistant Coach at the Wales National Team, before returning to back to City in 2021.

Smith oversaw promotion to the top tier of women’s football in 2023 and guided the Club throughout the Women’s Super League campaign, which saw record-breaking crowds attracted to Ashton Gate. 

Gavin Marshall, Chair of City Women, said: “It is hard to put into words how much Lauren has given to Bristol City over the years.

“I thank her for her tireless hard work and commitment to the development of City Women, we are sad to see her go. The club is proud of the part it has played in Lauren’s development as a Coach and take this opportunity to wish her the very best for her future.

“Lauren will always be welcome back at Ashton Gate and will be missed by the staff and players.”

Lauren Smith said: “It is with a very heavy heart that I leave the club, a club that means so much to me, but the time is right for me to explore new opportunities.

“I want to thank all the staff and players that I have worked with over the years for their support and hard work on and off the pitch. I will always keep a keen eye on how City are doing and wish everyone well for the coming season.”

Loren Dykes will take on the role of Interim Head Coach while the Club begins its search for the best candidate to lead its talented squad for the upcoming Women’s Championship campaign

14 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Shambles. The club had a fantastic opportunity to strengthen last January to try and stay in the WSL and didn't.

Now we have 10 experienced players out and just 3 in. Be lucky to stay in the Championship unless the club start backing our ladies. 

All the more galling considering the investment would be peanuts compared to the men.

The interest in the womens team is peanuts compared to the men.

I presume Lansdown thinks the hype around the womens game is OTT and theres nothing in it for him.

Womens rugby team seems a rather different thing altogether though.

It feels a shame, this. Whilst the Women's game isn't as popular as the men's there did seem to be something of a one club approach and amalgamation of Men's, women's and Academy that was building something fairly unique and worthwhile at the football club. Culturally it felt right. Something's been lost along the way. 

It feels like more than just a slight deviation in the "plan" (ie, more investment in the men's team) it's actually a complete shift across every aspect. Revolution not evolution. 

• Like 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

It feels a shame, this. Whilst the Women's game isn't as popular as the men's there did seem to be something of a one club approach and amalgamation of Men's, women's and Academy that was building something fairly unique and worthwhile at the football club. Culturally it felt right. Something's been lost along the way. 

It feels like more than just a slight deviation in the "plan" (ie, more investment in the men's team) it's actually a complete shift across every aspect. Revolution not evolution. 

I agree with what you mean, but ultimately the three are so different and so far apart it would be very hard to promote consistently of the three

This is the worst of all worlds. We drift through the WSL season making no real effort to do anything. The women's team performed in front of record numbers and clearly show there is an appetite for a successful women's side and yet there was absolutely nothing from the board to demonstrate any sort of commitment. 

To lose our head coach two weeks before the new season and in a far more competitive division this time than the one we left just over 12 months ago, just puts yet another barrier in our attempt to rebuild.

I can't get my head around how little effort we put in to our women's side. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Midlands Robin said:

This is the worst of all worlds. We drift through the WSL season making no real effort to do anything. The women's team performed in front of record numbers and clearly show there is an appetite for a successful women's side and yet there was absolutely nothing from the board to demonstrate any sort of commitment. 

To lose our head coach two weeks before the new season and in a far more competitive division this time than the one we left just over 12 months ago, just puts yet another barrier in our attempt to rebuild.

Pretty much the sentiment of my tweet earlier today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Whichever way you look at this, whether there was a 'push' or 'pull' factor in the resignation, there can be no doubting that Smith's departure at this point in the season is nothing but terrible. If she does have another job elsewhere then it's to her advantage at the expense of the club that she writes about with such fondness. If it was the case that she felt no option but to walk away then that will only cast City in a bad light.

Either way, this will be a sickener for the players at a crucial time. They will have their own opinions, I have no doubt. What the upper levels of the club make of this (still waiting for something concrete) is eagerly awaited, as is the response for a new gaffer. The job of competing in the second division was tough enough before all these departures.

I know Lauren Dykes has the club running through her veins and will do a thorough job as interim, but I wonder as to the way the club will operate for the present. Training tomorrow will neccessarily be overshadowed, as will the new season looming fast.

Edited by Erithacus
typo

On 27/08/2024 at 20:21, Midlands Robin said:

This is it, if they're not going to support the club, then there is no point in it being there.......or is it just a box ticking exercise ?

• Like 1

Attended the open training session yesterday and saw the usual sort of stuff but was more interested to see the mood. It struck me that there was a fairly even approach and the players looked in decent spirits, even to the point that perhaps some were upbeat and effervescent; some were keeping focussed on the job at hand. I thought that there was little to indicate a sullen or disappointed mood, which is good to see with the first game so close. I didn't get the impression there were any players showing Post Traumatic Season Disorder. Loren Dykes took a leading role in the organisation, notably.

Although it's difficult to make any realistic prediction based on that session, I feel Lexi Lloyd-Smith has something about her and showed some touches in the games. Hopefully the team will be able to build a strong reputation.

Interested to see how many people went - I reckoned there were several hundred. I can understand that the kids are still on holiday and their parents would jump at the chance for a cheap day's entertainment, but it might indicate there is a solid core of support at Ashton Gate. Also interested to see that new season cards are being produced, but the men's cards are reused from last season.

• Like 4

On 27/08/2024 at 20:25, phantom said:

I'm intrigued what time she spoke to the team, as they had lots of fun and laughs hanging out together this afternoon, certainly nobody looks sad

According to the original story from MaiSport, it was on Monday afternoon.

The photos of the players here are from when they went to Wogan Coffee on Tuesday. Think I saw elsewhere on some socials that the players were also out at Flight Club on Sunday.

I also haven't seen any (current) players post any messages or tributes to Lauren, which I thought was interesting

Someone I know who went to the open training session noticed that Carrie wasn't there.

Gutted to see her go. I thought she'd do well in the Championship but it seems City have got some money for her. Whether they'll actually use it is another thing...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

According to the original story from MaiSport, it was on Monday afternoon.

The photos of the players here are from when they went to Wogan Coffee on Tuesday. Think I saw elsewhere on some socials that the players were also out at Flight Club on Sunday.

I also haven't seen any (current) players post any messages or tributes to Lauren, which I thought was interesting

Maybe that other poster was right about it being a bit toxic down there

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I know this can be easy, but I'm confused by where Romaney fits in. 

Is she replacing someone or is it a new position? 

Half and half I think, they never replaced the GM that left and never had anyone above the GM in terms of hierarchy, it was then Gavin Marshall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, phantom said:

I know this can be easy, but I'm confused by where Romaney fits in. 

Is she replacing someone or is it a new position? 

The Head of Women's Football is the new title for the position previously known as General Manager.
The last GM, Eliot Caton joined last summer & quietly left a few months into the role (which the club never announced) but wasn't replaced for the rest of last season.

Reading the article, she was the Head of Women's Football in South Africa's FA for over a year. To leave a national team overseas to join a Championship team is somewhat interesting.

Although she doesn't start until the day after the first game away at Southampton...

She'll also be a main point of contact regarding City Women for the Supporters Club & Trust 😉

• Thanks 1

• Admin
20 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

The Head of Women's Football is the new title for the position previously known as General Manager.
The last GM, Eliot Caton
------
Reading the article, she was the Head of Women's Football in South Africa's FA for over a year. To leave a national team overseas to join a Championship team is somewhat interesting.

---------

She'll also be a main point of contact regarding City Women for the Supporters Club & Trust 😉

I recognise the name from you talking about the womens liaison 

--------

I wonder if the South African FA ever met anyone from Botswana on their travels?

Nice golf courses and sanctuaries over there 😁

---------

Hopefully will be as accessible to the SC&T as her predecessors

• Robin 1

On 27/08/2024 at 20:25, phantom said:

I'm intrigued what time she spoke to the team, as they had lots of fun and laughs hanging out together this afternoon, certainly nobody looks sad 

20240827_202330.jpg

Screenshot_20240827_202036_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240827_202051_Instagram.jpg

I suspect they didn't take any photos of people when they were looking sad, or didn't use them in social media posts.

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, astrondrew said:

I suspect they didn't take any photos of people when they were looking sad, or didn't use them in social media posts.

There's lots of footage from the day, at no point did anyone look like they'd heard sad news 

23 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Someone I know who went to the open training session noticed that Carrie wasn't there.

Gutted to see her go. I thought she'd do well in the Championship but it seems City have got some money for her. Whether they'll actually use it is another thing...

I'll be going to the Palace match on Sunday, will be interesting to see how things are on the pitch. We appear to have a vastly diminished squad!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, phantom said:

I recognise the name from you talking about the womens liaison 

--------

I wonder if the South African FA ever met anyone from Botswana on their travels?

Nice golf courses and sanctuaries over there 😁

---------

Hopefully will be as accessible to the SC&T as her predecessors

She seems to have a wealth of experience prior to football and then got into football through the club scene. She seems a typical Management Consultant/troubleshooter type in that she doesn't stay anywhere very long. High level of all round qualifications though.....

Lot more detail about her background here when she joined the SAFA.

https://www.safa.net/2023/07/20/romaney-pinnock-joins-safa-as-head-of-womens-football/

• Thanks 2

On 31/08/2024 at 11:24, Davefevs said:

Any thoughts from those of you closer to the Women’s scene, whether this appointment hastened Smith’s departure?  Or completely unrelated?

I genuinely have no idea, but think it's unrelated, as the club/Bristol Sport announced they were recruiting for the Head of Women's Football way earlier in the summer

• Thanks 1

On 31/08/2024 at 11:00, Eco said:

I'll be going to the Palace match on Sunday, will be interesting to see how things are on the pitch. We appear to have a vastly diminished squad!

Here's today's line up...

Jamie-Lee Napier named captain for the first time

No Ffion Morgan in the squad (injured?)

Harley Bennett & Lexi Lloyd-Smith the only new signings to start

More Academy players on the bench (Freeman, Costa)

GWYtIyZXQAA1QQg?format=jpg&name=medium

Finished 3-1 to City! Goals from Lexi Lloyd-Smith & Mari Ward made it 2-0 at half time. Jesse Woolley made it 3-0 before Palace got a consolation goal.

I wasn't at the game this afternoon, but from what others have told me, apparently the team are playing a lot better (possible post-Lauren Smith bounce)

Will be interesting to hear the thoughts of @Eco & anyone else that was in attendance 

3-1 win for the women v WSL Crystal Palace. Encouraging performance which augers well for a competitive season in the Championship. Lexi Lexi Smith looks dangerous and Harley Bennet was very composed in defence. Suspect Palace will struggle in the WSL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Finished 3-1 to City! Goals from Lexi Lloyd-Smith & Mari Ward made it 2-0 at half time. Jesse Woolley made it 3-0 before Palace got a consolation goal.

I wasn't at the game this afternoon, but from what others have told me, apparently the team are playing a lot better (possible post-Lauren Smith bounce)

Will be interesting to hear the thoughts of @Eco & anyone else that was in attendance 

It was a very good performance as mentioned by Miser, loads to be positive about. Whether it was post-Lauren bounce who knows.

Mari Ward on the left was great, she was getting in decent crosses and also scored at the far post. I'm sure her pace and persistence will cause problems this season Why she's down as a defender on the website I have no idea! 

All defenders played well including Humphries when she came on for Bennett. Bentley made a couple of good saves, her replacement had no chance with the goal. Midfield looking good with Emily Syme standing out imo, she's such an astute footballer. Up front Abi H had a quiet first half but was much more involved higher up the pitch and more central when Thestrup went off. She would have scored but their keeper pulled off a worldie after a great cutback by Wooley, I think. 

Lexi scored from a rebound after Thestrup hit the bar and was generally impressive, a lovely little shimmy in the 2nd half stood out. Got a great reception when she came off. 

Ffion Morgan must have been injured, she was signing autographs at the end.

Think I'm right in saying that was their first ever win at AG, despite it being a friendly I'm sure there'll be relief at putting the hoodoo to bed.

Personally I think we'll have a good season, we had the spine from two seasons ago, Bentley, Powell, Syme, Harrison and we've now added.

As for Palace, I agree with Miser, if that's near enough their first team I think they'll struggle, similar to us. Their no 10 Blanchard looked classy, one to watch out for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

It was a very good performance as mentioned by Miser, loads to be positive about. Whether it was post-Lauren bounce who knows.

Mari Ward on the left was great, she was getting in decent crosses and also scored at the far post. I'm sure her pace and persistence will cause problems this season Why she's down as a defender on the website I have no idea! 

All defenders played well including Humphries when she came on for Bennett. Bentley made a couple of good saves, her replacement had no chance with the goal. Midfield looking good with Emily Syme standing out imo, she's such an astute footballer. Up front Abi H had a quiet first half but was much more involved higher up the pitch and more central when Thestrup went off. She would have scored but their keeper pulled off a worldie after a great cutback by Wooley, I think. 

Lexi scored from a rebound after Thestrup hit the bar and was generally impressive, a lovely little shimmy in the 2nd half stood out. Got a great reception when she came off. 

Ffion Morgan must have been injured, she was signing autographs at the end.

Think I'm right in saying that was their first ever win at AG, despite it being a friendly I'm sure there'll be relief at putting the hoodoo to bed.

Personally I think we'll have a good season, we had the spine from two seasons ago, Bentley, Powell, Syme, Harrison and we've now added.

As for Palace, I agree with Miser, if that's near enough their first team I think they'll struggle, similar to us. Their no 10 Blanchard looked classy, one to watch out for.

First win since beating Charlton to win the Championship title in 22/23 season.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Red Homer said:

First win since beating Charlton to win the Championship title in 22/23 season.

Thank you, yes not sure how I forgot that. Also Syme hit the bar not Thestrup. Apart from that all good :laughcont:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, miser said:

3-1 win for the women v WSL Crystal Palace. Encouraging performance which augers well for a competitive season in the Championship. Lexi Lexi Smith looks dangerous and Harley Bennet was very composed in defence. Suspect Palace will struggle in the WSL

I don't know if you were sat in your usual seat or had moved now. If you were, were you by the block previously reserved for away supporters?

I don't even know if many Palace supporters were in attendance (or if the attendance was announced in general)

As part of partnership between the SC&T & football club, tickets & coaches for the first two away games at Southampton & London City Lionesses now on sale. Was hoping for the club to announce it when they went on sale but haven't done so yet...

https://tickets.bristol-sport.co.uk/en-gb/categories/bristolcitywomenhome

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

I don't know if you were sat in your usual seat or had moved now. If you were, were you by the block previously reserved for away supporters?

I don't even know if many Palace supporters were in attendance (or if the attendance was announced in general)

No Palace supporters evident, although they generally bring a minibus or two. No idea of total attendance although healthy enough for a friendly. Good to see some goals, will aid Championship numbers.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

As pointed out in the other thread, Gavin Marshall will be on tonight's show to talk about Lauren Smith's departure & other things for City Women. Don't know if his segment will be a live chat or pre-recorded one

It was indeed a live phone interview, just after 6:30pm.
Some takeaways from Gavin are that the club already have a shortlist of candidates for Lauren Smith's replacement; with an appointment possibly due by the end of the week.
Loren Dykes will still be in charge for the Southampton game on Sunday.
Club reluctant to sell players unless the money is right, hence why Carrie Jones (& Naomi Layzell) went.
Gavin not happy with current leagues structure; hopes that NewCo/WPLL will expand both leagues & have more promotion/relegation spots

You can listen back. Gavin's interview starts at around 32 minutes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0jj4712

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 1