IGNORED

Bristol City Women

Leveller

On 16/07/2024 at 14:22, shahanshahan said:

Liv Clark has left City following the expiration of her contract. Not sure if she didn't want to re-sign or if she wasn't offered a new one. GK situation will be interesting now - Bentley seems to still be at the club & will probably keep her place in goal

Liv was offered a deal to stay but decided against it. Good decision.

https://clwbpeldroed.org/2024/09/03/olivia-clark-champions-league-twente/

4 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

It was indeed a live phone interview, just after 6:30pm.
Some takeaways from Gavin are that the club already have a shortlist of candidates for Lauren Smith's replacement; with an appointment possibly due by the end of the week.
Loren Dykes will still be in charge for the Southampton game on Sunday.
Club reluctant to sell players unless the money is right, hence why Carrie Jones (& Naomi Layzell) went.
Gavin not happy with current leagues structure; hopes that NewCo/WPLL will expand both leagues & have more promotion/relegation spots

You can listen back. Gavin's interview starts at around 32 minutes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0jj4712

Thank you 😃

Looking for two more players as a tad light in midfield but happy with the squad.

Still  two more weeks of the transfer window, I'll be biting my nails hoping no one comes in for Thestrup. 

No info. on where Lauren is heading but sounds like she was made an offer she couldn't refuse. 

• Like 1

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/home-top-featured/dykes-previews-opening-day/

Loren Dykes' first press conference now online (great to see the club continue these even though the team aren't in the WSL anymore)

Some points:
- New manager/head coach could be announced within the next week. Loren Dykes is not in running & isn't interested in the job
- Napier is interim captain; the new manager/head coach will decide who the permanent captain will be
- Two new signings to be confirmed once medicals are done; hopefully midfielders

-The Tanya Oxtoby-ism "It's a marathon, not a sprint" is back

Edited by shahanshahan

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-women-2024-25-squad-numbers/

Summer signing Lexi Lloyd-Smith will wear the number 10 shirt, with Greta Humphries taking number 5 and Jackie Burns number 25.

Sille Struck will now wear the number 4 while Chloe Mustaki moves to number 3.

Full Squad numbers

1 Fran Bentley

2 Ella Powell

3 Chloe Mustaki

4 Sille Struck

5 Greta Humphries

7 Abi Harrison

8 Amy Rodgers

10 Lexi Lloyd-Smith

11 Jamie-Lee Napier (interim captain)

14 Mari Ward

15 Jazz Bull

16 Emily Syme

17 Amalie Thestrup

24 Ffion Morgan

25 Jackie Burns

27 Jesse Woolley

28 Tianna Teisar

41 Harley Bennett

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-sign-earl-until-january/

Maddy Earl signed from Arsenal on dual-registration until January. Attacking midfielder, spent pre-season with Arsenal, and is 17 years old

Seems a slightly odd move for a few months. Is this a provisional thing or temporary cover? Also, what are the rules over dual registration in the women' game?

32 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Seems a slightly odd move for a few months. Is this a provisional thing or temporary cover? Also, what are the rules over dual registration in the women' game?

I get the impression it's technically a loan. And I think dual registration (from what I understand) is mainly for younger players i.e. those under 18 who haven't signed a professional contract with either club yet

• Thanks 1

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/sep/06/womens-championship-club-by-club-guide

Written by Tom Garry:

Bristol City

Last season: Relegated

Predicted finish: 4th

Hoping for an immediate return to the top tier but their preparations were hit by the shock exit on 27 August of the popular head coach Lauren Smith, whom the club did not want to leave but who is understood to have been offered another job. The caretaker, Loren Dykes, has ruled herself out of the running, saying she is happiest “on the grass” and that the club are close to appointing Smith’s replacement. The search is being led by the chairman, Gavin Marshall. On the pitch, the loss of the centre-back Naomi Layzell to Manchester City is a major blow.

Edited by shahanshahan

5 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/sep/06/womens-championship-club-by-club-guide

Written by Tom Garry:

Bristol City

Last season: Relegated

Predicted finish: 4th

Hoping for an immediate return to the top tier but their preparations were hit by the shock exit on 27 August of the popular head coach Lauren Smith, whom the club did not want to leave but who is understood to have been offered another job. The caretaker, Loren Dykes, has ruled herself out of the running, saying she is happiest “on the grass” and that the club are close to appointing Smith’s replacement. The search is being led by the chairman, Gavin Marshall. On the pitch, the loss of the centre-back Naomi Layzell to Manchester City is a major blow.

Some interesting predictions, Charlton to win, Newcastle 6th. Looking at our squad you posted yesterday I'm optimistic we'll be right up there, barring too many injuriies. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Bristol City Women
59 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Last time I checked this tweet is still up, but it seems Sky Sports' WSL account seems to think we're Brentford...

Screenshot_20240908-104448~2.png

Let's hope they don't read this forum and leave it as Brentford!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

Where is the game available to watch?

Cheers 

Because it's the Championship, not all games are livestreamed, and one game is chosen per week for the new YouTube channel (to replace FA Player coverage)

Southampton aren't streaming the game either, so you'll have to watch the full game when it's uploaded from Monday

I'm not at the game so unable to post any updates other than what I may come across on social media 

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Because it's the Championship, not all games are livestreamed, and one game is chosen per week for the new YouTube channel (to replace FA Player coverage)

Southampton aren't streaming the game either, so you'll have to watch the full game when it's uploaded from Monday

I'm not at the game so unable to post any updates other than what I may come across on social media 

Feels strange not being able to watch it on FA Player. Ah well, a new era I suppose.

10 minutes ago, Eco said:

Feels strange not being able to watch it on FA Player. Ah well, a new era I suppose.

Considering the leagues are run by the WPLL/NewCo now instead of the FA, I'm guessing this was the main reason for the move to YouTube

Although I expect Women's FA Cup games (and probably Women's League Cup Games) will still be on FA Player

7 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

From Twitter: Thestrup nicks the ball off Saints 'keeper Stenson and plays the ball into the area. It falls to Lloyd-Smith on the edge of the box but she can't keep her shot down and it's over the bar. Good pressing. 

and latest:Powell sees a long-range effort blocked which falls to Thestrup but her effort is off target

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

A relief I would have thought !

Well yes, I had to turn off the Chelsea game but at least they picked up a few points away, well, all their points!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Pity Aimee Palmer should score against us. 

Second season in a row where she scores against City on the opening day (did the exact same thing when she was playing for Leicester City last season!)

• Like 1

Round-up of all the results & current table.
City 4th - above London City & Newcastle following their draw
Birmingham top following their 5-0 win over Sunderland.
And City's next game is at home next Sunday against...Birmingham

GW9oQdOWsAAzYWd?format=jpg&name=900x900

GW9tu0KXUAAmGG6?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

22 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Second season in a row where she scores against City on the opening day (did the exact same thing when she was playing for Leicester City last season!)

Just seen the highlights, nice free kick from quite a way out. Possibly caught Fran napping at the near post but it was well struck.

Loren Dykes press conference from today

Some bits I observed when listening back:

- Loren hints no further activity in the transfer window
- Club "close to appointing" new head coach
- Chloe Mustaki & Ffion Morgan back in training. No indication given if they may be ready for this Sunday
- Praise for Lexi Lloyd-Smith, and the fans that are noisy..

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/dykes-pre-blues-press-conference/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Loren Dykes press conference from today

Some bits I observed when listening back:

- Loren hints no further activity in the transfer window
- Club "close to appointing" new head coach
- Chloe Mustaki & Ffion Morgan back in training. No indication given if they may be ready for this Sunday
- Praise for Lexi Lloyd-Smith, and the fans that are noisy..

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/dykes-pre-blues-press-conference/

What a great presser, Loren speaks so well.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Just watched on YouTube from about 4th minute to 7th, and it's almost exactly like last season - trying to play it out from the back, and struggling.

We've managed to set up a few attacks in the last 5 minutes! But there only gonna be one winner.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Just managed another 8 minutes, 47th to 55th. City, one fruitless foray into the Brum half, ball passed out of play. Cannot keep possession. And now keeper is injured. Same as last season. 

Should have kept watching we're right on top now, goal line clearance from Brum. Good to see the old 'keeper going down for no reason' routine is back this season.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bit better last ten

Yep. 0-0. I think they gave it a go.

My only gripe going forward near the end was that we were guilty of holding on to the ball, rather than passing to other players who had taken up good positions.

I like Fran Bentley. Made an excellent save at her near post in the second half, when I thought she was beat.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Yep. 0-0. I think they gave it a go.

My only gripe going forward near the end was that we were guilty of holding on to the ball, rather than passing to other players who had taken up good positions.

I like Fran Bentley. Made an excellent save at her near post in the second half, when I thought she was beat.

Yep, frustrated me too…and at other times in our own half we play some awfully dangerous straight passes into midfield, asking to be picked off.

9 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

The football intelligence in the final 3rd is void currently. 

Would of been a defeat if it wasn't for 2 fine saves by Bentley.

Birmingham number 30 was very good and was good going forward for a CB

Is that a good point?  Brum will be there or thereabouts won’t they?

Might be in a small group here but I am upbeat after today's draw.

Considering Birmingham's confidence would have been high after last week's drubbing of Sunderland, I thought the women took some confidence from an away point at Saints and used it for a building block for today. Pleased to see City look more of a threat going forward than last season (understandably) although I noticed Abi Harrison dropped in quite a bit too. City had twice as many atttempts on goal as Birmingham and although Bentley had to make a couple of smart saves, City weren't too far away on occasion either. Couple of times, the wrong option was taken but that will come with time. 50/50 on possession too.

Positives. Lexi Lloyd-Smith looked good in her time on the pitch, team looked more organised & played to a pattern, I'm a growing fan of Amy Rodgers and Emily Syme looks a yard quicker this season. A clean sheet today, two games unbeaten. Nearly 2k in the stadium vindicates the decision to play the games at AG. 

Negatives? Think City will miss Naomi Layzell this season, squad still looks a little thin in places, a little more clever thinking in attack is needed.

7/10.

• Like 4