IGNORED

Bristol City Women

Leveller

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, frustrated me too…and at other times in our own half we play some awfully dangerous straight passes into midfield, asking to be picked off.

Yep, Harley Bennett give it away a couple of times in that manner and I don't like Jas Bull's throw in's across the pitch either, just needed one of their players to nick in and we could have been in avoidable trouble.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Might be in a small group here but I am upbeat after today's draw.

Considering Birmingham's confidence would have been high after last week's drubbing of Sunderland, I thought the women took some confidence from an away point at Saints and used it for a building block for today. Pleased to see City look more of a threat going forward than last season (understandably) although I noticed Abi Harrison dropped in quite a bit too. City had twice as many atttempts on goal as Birmingham and although Bentley had to make a couple of smart saves, City weren't too far away on occasion either. Couple of times, the wrong option was taken but that will come with time. 50/50 on possession too.

Positives. Lexi Lloyd-Smith looked good in her time on the pitch, team looked more organised & played to a pattern, I'm a growing fan of Amy Rodgers and Emily Syme looks a yard quicker this season. A clean sheet today, two games unbeaten. Nearly 2k in the stadium vindicates the decision to play the games at AG. 

Negatives? Think City will miss Naomi Layzell this season, squad still looks a little thin in places, a little more clever thinking in attack is needed.

7/10.

I agree.

We had more dangerous moments in their box but Fran definitely made save of the match.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, no, was just asking your view.

I may have worded it poorly to start the reply. 🤣 I did enjoy it. Just need more up front. 

30 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Did Gavin Marshall mention how many pies we sold today? 

Not many, the kiosks were very quiet. 

Birmingham players nearly all better technically than ours. The number of easy passes that either went astray or were hit too soft and picked off was crazy. That said when we managed to get attacks going we created some decent chances, as bid Brum. Overall a good point but worrying how technically poor so many of our players were.

• Like 1

Back to the bread and butter at the Gate! Back in the second tier and back to some old foibles. Good to see nearly 2,000 on hand at this level - don't know how many Brum brought, no Lioness fans today.

Looking at the positives, I thought there was a confident mood and a more flexible approach to changing the shape during the game. Starting were a few new faces and some whose playing time was limited last season. All in all, the team looked fairly stable and had a few worthy raids which got the crowd on their feet. Defensively, we didn't have too much to deal with and kept a clean sheet.

However, there is still a way to go before this team gets into full stride and that will only take time. There is a good core of players and the coaching may have shaken off the woes of last season. But it's clear that while this is a new start in many ways, some old themes remain.

Thestrup looked all alone again up front, with little real support. I had hoped Lloyd-Smith would be closer but spent more time out at right half than inside right. Harrison buzzed around the middle but didn't manage to get much traction before coming off. The midfield had plenty of effort and guile but didn't get a frim grip on the game. Occasional breaks and thrusts often fizzled out. Defensively, the new set-up held fairly well considering Harley Bennett was the new face in a back line that had lost most of the side's talent and had a decent game. Jaz Bull held the fullback slot and Powell was able to venture forwards at times. Birmingham had few real efforts but Fran Bentley had lost none of her reactions, thankfully.

Overall it was a game where both sides cancelled each other out and the play was largely in the middle. Few shots on goal tells its own tale. Had we taken a stronger grip then we would surely have won. But for the time being, it was another point; no defeat, a clean sheet against a team that some fancy for a title shot. Next up - a trip to London City; we'll find out more then.

• Like 5

Apologies for anybody sat close to my very loud 9 year old daughter.

it was her first game and just could not stop attempting to shout sadly it sounded more like screams.

The poor girl in front even asked her to keep it down a bit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1