IGNORED

Bristol City Women

Leveller

13 hours ago, cheese said:

So, I've been on the main OS site and the only table I can find is the women's Super League!!  I'm interested in BRISTOL CITY who are in the Women's Championship - why is that table not there?  Very poor IMO.

Good spot! I didn't notice that. Well worth raising

1 hour ago, phantom said:

This is not being critical of you mate, but that excuse about being short staffed has gone on for too long now, we appointed a new head of comms weeks ago and we're yet to see any improvement. 

We've all worked being short staffed but would make sure things get done 

I believe it was a remote interview due to Manning being unwell 

Definitely. Also, wasn't aware that Manning wasn't well (he sounded fine to to me when listening back to that press conference)

• Admin
3 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Definitely. Also, wasn't aware that Manning wasn't well (he sounded fine to to me when listening back to that press conference)

He was ill last week, have a listen to his voice after Sheffield Wednesday 

Sorry to derail a thread about the women 

Good, but expected win yesterday and should win next week too, but the league table is still looking very bleak 

18 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Highlights (& full match) now available on the Barclays Women's Championship YouTube channel

Some really impressive goals (even with Sheffield United's second)

Some really decent, high quality goals there … hopefully, our men’s forwards will study the techniques employed! 

• Like 3

It's been a while since I've seen the men's & women's teams do a photo together. Although while the men's team only photo had Liam Manning & other coaching staff, there are no coaching staff in the women's team only photo. Wonder if it may have been taken before Steve Kirby joined...

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/download-your-squad-photo/

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJiY2ZjLXdvcmRwcmVzcy1pbWFn

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

It's been a while since I've seen the men's & women's teams do a photo together. Although while the men's team only photo had Liam Manning & other coaching staff, there are no coaching staff in the women's team only photo. Wonder if it may have been taken before Steve Kirby joined...

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/download-your-squad-photo/

Joe Williams has a nice shiner there 😂

• Haha 1

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/kirbys-blackburn-press-conference/

Press conference was held this afternoon.

Some key points I observed from listening:

- Praise for Abi Harrison, especially from the cup game with Leicester City

- Jesse Woolley, Ella Powell, Chloe Mustaki all available for selection. No explanation given (or no one asked) why Woolley wasn't in the squad last Sunday, but can assume it may have been injury or other protocol 

- Steve Kirby looking forward to his first home game, and has already met Liam Manning & men's team staff

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Congratulations to Naomi Layzell who scored for Man City tonight in the Uefa Women's Champions League against holders Barcelona!

(*Credit to @SinéadB who sent me the above X, formerlyTwitter, post)

Shame the commentator didn't see who scored!

• Like 1

On 08/10/2024 at 19:42, shahanshahan said:

Wonder if it may have been taken before Steve Kirby joined...

At today's press conference, that question got asked and he confirmed that the photos were taken the day before he joined...

On 06/10/2024 at 22:15, cheese said:

So, I've been on the main OS site and the only table I can find is the women's Super League!!  I'm interested in BRISTOL CITY who are in the Women's Championship - why is that table not there?  Very poor IMO.

Following me reaching out to the club, if you have a look at the website again, the table should now show the correct league

• Like 2

Jazz Bull in for Mari Ward.
Greta Humphries drops to the bench. Abi Harrison returns to start.

Chloe Mustaki & Woolley are back on the bench

KO 2pm. Haven't seen BBC Radio Bristol advertise the game on Twitter so don't know if they're still covering it live today

GZxMLZIWMAAjmUV?format=jpg&name=large

23 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

Thought Blackburn looked more dangerous and didn't deserve to lose. 

City looked slow, sluggish and couldn't keep the ball. Still brain farting when trying to play out from the back. 

First half was the better for City. Game lost some momentum when Clarkson went down for Blackburn & got stretchered off. Dodgy defence & a bad pass from Bentley (who had an otherwise good game) essentially gifted Blackburn their equaliser 

Happy for the win, but it should have been sealed a lot sooner than it was

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

First competitive home win in 539 days - 77 weeks!

Steve Kirby celebrate.jpg

Performance good for first half hour, deteriorated in the 2nd half but who cares in this instance, glad the monkey is off the back.

To come back and win after that dreadful equaliser, from our point of view, is a good omen. Ward coming on had a bit of pace and made a difference, Emily Syme's strike was quality.

Decent crowd, 2113, so not a bad afternoon all told.

• Robin 1

A day for some sort of celebration - a home win. At last. Enjoy it. Also good to see Powell and Mustaki available from the bench.

A good start, if a tad fortunate in that the opponents mis-hit a clearance and Harrison played it on skillfully for Lloyd-Smith to slot neatly. With such a good start it seems only fitting that a City side would spend most of the rest of the game frittering away. We had a lot of the possession and moved forwards frequently but didn't really get much momentum. Blackburn arrived putting lots of bodies behind the ball and were looking ripe for a beating. However, we slowly lost our grip and Rovers grew more confident. The initial stages saw the midfield pushing right up to the front line (of two or three for a change) and that compressed the play badly. We couldn't get around or through them with any reliability. Having Thestrup, Harrison and Lloyd-Smith all close to the front line forced Blackburn to close up, but they didn't really break through too often.

We had a lot of joy going up our left side in the first half with Napier causing problems, but that avenue was closed in the second half. Bennett commanded the defence well and made few errors. Bentley had little to do in fairness, but was in top form to stop a couple of good efforts. On the negative side, movement was stifled rather and passing accuracy reduced as the game went on.

The nasty injury to the Rovers player looked pretty worrying, although it is the case that if the medics suspect the slightest spinal damage they will render maximum care. Hope she is in better shape and recovers soon. Of course, a lengthy injury stoppage often disrupts the tempo and concentration - and we certainly dropped after it. With increasing concern we finally crumbled with a series of poor efforts to clear a ball and the visitors equalised. Interestingly, Rovers played with two up front and pressed our back line at all opportunities.

Substitutions came along and Mari Ward looked sharp going forwards. With Jazz Bull taken off and the back line reduced to a three, we seemed to be able to make a little more headway. However, it took until the last minutes for Syme to pounce on a pass inside, her shot looking like taking a flick off a defender and nestling in the net. Perhaps it might be seen as reward for all the hard work; perhaps Blackburn will be cursing their bad luck, not taking a point back home. Either way, it will go down as Kirby's first home game and a win. It will remain to be seen how he will mould this team. All in all, the performance lacked a cutting edge and I hope he has brought a whet stone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Erithacus said:

A day for some sort of celebration - a home win. At last. Enjoy it. Also good to see Powell and Mustaki available from the bench.

A good start, if a tad fortunate in that the opponents mis-hit a clearance and Harrison played it on skillfully for Lloyd-Smith to slot neatly. With such a good start it seems only fitting that a City side would spend most of the rest of the game frittering away. We had a lot of the possession and moved forwards frequently but didn't really get much momentum. Blackburn arrived putting lots of bodies behind the ball and were looking ripe for a beating. However, we slowly lost our grip and Rovers grew more confident. The initial stages saw the midfield pushing right up to the front line (of two or three for a change) and that compressed the play badly. We couldn't get around or through them with any reliability. Having Thestrup, Harrison and Lloyd-Smith all close to the front line forced Blackburn to close up, but they didn't really break through too often.

We had a lot of joy going up our left side in the first half with Napier causing problems, but that avenue was closed in the second half. Bennett commanded the defence well and made few errors. Bentley had little to do in fairness, but was in top form to stop a couple of good efforts. On the negative side, movement was stifled rather and passing accuracy reduced as the game went on.

The nasty injury to the Rovers player looked pretty worrying, although it is the case that if the medics suspect the slightest spinal damage they will render maximum care. Hope she is in better shape and recovers soon. Of course, a lengthy injury stoppage often disrupts the tempo and concentration - and we certainly dropped after it. With increasing concern we finally crumbled with a series of poor efforts to clear a ball and the visitors equalised. Interestingly, Rovers played with two up front and pressed our back line at all opportunities.

Substitutions came along and Mari Ward looked sharp going forwards. With Jazz Bull taken off and the back line reduced to a three, we seemed to be able to make a little more headway. However, it took until the last minutes for Syme to pounce on a pass inside, her shot looking like taking a flick off a defender and nestling in the net. Perhaps it might be seen as reward for all the hard work; perhaps Blackburn will be cursing their bad luck, not taking a point back home. Either way, it will go down as Kirby's first home game and a win. It will remain to be seen how he will mould this team. All in all, the performance lacked a cutting edge and I hope he has brought a whet stone.

Don't think it did, twas a great strike. Credit to Lexi Lloyd-Smith for pressing the keeper which lead to her wayward pass handing us back possession in a dangerous area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Steve Kirby is live in the studio on tonight's Sound of the City

I thought it was a really good interview (didn't expect it to be for the first 30 mins of the programme)!

Interesting to hear of his days as a semi-pro player in his youth, then his transition to coaching, working in the USA, before ending up at Leicester City's men's academy before transferring over to the women's side

He also said that he has a wife & two kids, so is a family man.

One update he gave which I don't think the club have publicly announced yet is that former City men's goalkeeper Mike Stowell is now the goalkeeping coach for City women (I did some research & his predecessor James White has gone to Utah Royals in the US). Stowell's wife is former Bristol Academy player Rachel Stowell, and I believe they have a daughter who plays in City's youth set-up and is a goalkeeper herself

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

I thought it was a really good interview (didn't expect it to be for the first 30 mins of the programme)!

Interesting to hear of his days as a semi-pro player in his youth, then his transition to coaching, working in the USA, before ending up at Leicester City's men's academy before transferring over to the women's side

He also said that he has a wife & two kids, so is a family man.

One update he gave which I don't think the club have publicly announced yet is that former City men's goalkeeper Mike Stowell is now the goalkeeping coach for City women (I did some research & his predecessor James White has gone to Utah Royals in the US). Stowell's wife is former Bristol Academy player Rachel Stowell, and I believe they have a daughter who plays in City's youth set-up and is a goalkeeper herself

Thought it looked like Mike Stowell in the warm up for the keepers, now confirmed!  And his wife was Rachel McArthur when a player with us, pretty sure she played for England too.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Eco said:

Thought it looked like Mike Stowell in the warm up for the keepers, now confirmed!  And his wife was Rachel McArthur when a player with us, pretty sure she played for England too.

She did indeed, she was a centre midfielder. 

Played 17 times for England, scoring one goal 

She was born and grew up in Bristol 

• Like 1