IGNORED

Bristol City v Barnsley Match Day 28

havanatopia

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

A win is a win. Surely the result tells us we still have a great opportunity for promotion. It also tells me we're a great opportunity for the right manager to improve performances and get us over the line. 

This. We are so so set up now for a change of management team its so frustrating.. it won’t ever happen as this board have no backbone or bollox.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Genuinely think that was a better performance. We leaked some good chances but had plenty of our own at the other end. 

A good solid win, and unusually this season one that we actually deserved.

Still alot to improve on in the midfield but Dasilva, Fam and Bentley had good games.

Deserved to win? not what the reporter said on Sky sports.

57 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

First half headlines from my perspective.

Characteristically sloppy from us in the opening exchanges, especially, yet again, giving the ball to the opposition on 3 or 4 occasions. Which a better team might have made more of.

After about 8 minutes we settled down a bit and nearly went ahead from an OG on 10 minutes. Barnsley, were given too much time/space and created a great chance on12 minutes, which Williams blocked. Just a minute later they were again gifted time and space and should have scored, we somehow scrambled it away for a corner.

After 15 minutes we had a finely balanced game, we have had a couple of scares and created a few half-chances of our own.

Jay DS then had a couple of moments to forget, firstly with a poor back pass to Bentley and then getting easily beaten and giving away a corner, which resulted in Barnsley having a chance which was cleared off the line by AW.

On 26 minutes NE sent in a great right footed cross which was headed wide by Fammy.

After 30 minutes we still have a finely balanced game, although in terms of clear goal scoring opportunities I think Barnsley have edged ahead. Also most of their balls forward are incisive and causing us more trouble than our balls forward, which IMO tend to be in the hit-and-hope category. Seems to me that the majority of Hunt’s balls forward are played more in hope than expectation. The exception being a good direct ball from him through to AW on 43 minutes.

My overall observation, is certainly nothing new....IMO our limited forward options have yet again been fundamentally the key problem. Not only does it mean we don’t have much of a goal scoring threat it also means that our build up play is fragmented and littered with errors.

At half time it’s hard to tell which team is in the relegation zone and which has top 6 hopes. Barnsley, as was the case recently against Wigan look much better than their league position suggests.

Ref has been pretty good throughout the half as have section 82!

Need a much better second half from us if we are going to get  anything out of this game.

Second half reflections....in the opening ten minutes Barnsley look neat and direct, Chaplin in particular looking dangerous, while City look like they lack belief/confidence. Barnsley create a couple of great chances and should have scored on 56 minutes. NE then has a good chance from 10 yards which he puts over, when under no pressure (which actually proves to be a rehearsal for what happens later).

In a nutshell Barnsley continue to look fluid and we continue to look fragmented!

On 61 minutes Barnsley hit the bar, it really does feel like it’s only a matter of time before we concede.

To their great credit the City fans are continuing to do all they can to lift the team, even though IMO there’s not much from a City perspective to cheer about.

On 70 minutes FD and AW combine well (not something that happens very often) which results in Fammy lofting it into the South Stand from 10 yards. Fammy then tries an overhead kick from a JB long throw.

On 75 minutes I’m thinking this could be a repeat of what happened at Shrewsbury, failing to convert our chances and then conceding late on. Certainly it increasingly feels like whoever breaks the deadlock will win this.

Then the Barnsley captain, Mowatt, strikes one just wide of Dan Bentley’s left hand post and a collective sigh of relief could be heard throughout the crowd. With just 10 minutes left there’s no sign of Barnsley settling for a point and Brown’s shot from the edge of box also flies past Bentley’s left hand post.

LJ decides to introduce CO’D for Pato on 86 minutes.

Then out of nowhere Jay DS beats a couple of players on the left wing and finds NE - in exactly the same spot that he blasted over earlier in the half - this time he tucks it away!

So a crowd of nearly 20,000 go home having witnessed a City win, although certainly not a convincing City performance. Indeed the 600+ travelling fans will be gutted to not come away with at least a point.

My overall impression....as against Wigan a City win, but very much 3 points gained without a great performance....very fine margins! Three points, a home win and for me a feeling of delighted relief.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Genuinely think that was a better performance. We leaked some good chances but had plenty of our own at the other end. 

A good solid win, and unusually this season one that we actually deserved.

Still alot to improve on in the midfield but Dasilva, Fam and Bentley has good games.

Fam did what Fam does . He just isn’t a natural finisher.

Well done to the lads it was hard fought.

Pleased for Eliasson he missed a sitter earlier on so fantastic that he didn’t hide.

Hopefully we can bring in this elusive ‘ finisher ‘ this week and crack on .

Barnsley were worse finishers than us so that tells it’s own story. 

Against a more clinical side we would have been dead and buried.

A welcome three points .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Level on points with 6th. Really difficult to argue against that, but equally difficult to defend performances. Strange season.

Poor league this year in respect of so many teams are being inconsistent

I appreciate we are level on points but I genuinely don't think we have a hope in hell of making the top 6 come end of the season. We look so poor 

The real frustrating thing is anyone in the top 8-10 is one good run away from flying into that top 6 and hitting the playoffs running 

It just won't be us 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Happy with the result and hopefully it will give us some confidence as it was a pretty poor spectacle in all honesty. Blinding run by Jay for the goal mind.

A win's a win. 

Mum's gone all frisky after that result Son, so by all means stay out till late.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I appreciate we are level on points but I genuinely don't think we have a hope in hell of making the top 6 come end of the season. We look so poor 

The real frustrating thing is anyone in the top 8-10 is one good run away from flying into that top 6 and hitting the playoffs running 

It just won't be us 

Bet you're great fun at party's 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Millwall, Huddersfield, Stoke, Fulham, Barnsley...

I would say Swansea but you don’t want them mentioned as it makes your argument look weak.

You don't name the players as per my question but how many are strikers and of those players who would you have had us sign?

Cavaleiro, who was already at Fulham and who they signed for £15m presumably excluded.

That felt like a big win. But could easily have been a big defeat. Open match. Hat fulls  of missed chances for both sides. We don’t look like a top 6 side but that was a gutsy win.

So credit where it is due. Great play by Jay for the goal. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Pass accuracy at 62% is shocking 

This has been a worry for a while now. We’ve been done by our own mistakes whilst sloppy in possession too often this season. 

Happy with the win but my word, we’re a long way off.

• Robin 1

Just now, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Couldn’t agree more with your final comment.

Atleast we can agree on something 

So in other words, you’re still happy to assume anyone who dares to question whether our coach is the best person to take us forwards, must want us to lose each game? It’s an insulting and dim-witted assumption.

Some of us are capable of more complex thought processes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You don't name the players as per my question but how many are strikers and of those players who would you have had us sign?

Cavaleiro, who was already at Fulham and who they signed for £15m presumably excluded.

You didn’t say name strikers though did you!

Millwall signed Woods, Fulham signed a keeper and Kongolo, Barnsley signed some foreign midfielder, Huddersfield signed a left back...

Not sure what you want me to prove. Even premier league clubs are making signings which, if you believe what is said, is practically impossible to do in January!

29 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

It just won't be us 

I’ve made it clear recently I’m concerned about Johnson and I do feel someone else could get more from this squad.

But equally you can’t say we don’t have “a hope in hell” of finishing in the play offs when we’re joint 6th after 28 games. Quite clearly we do have a chance, and after that many games clearly other teams around us can’t be that superior if we’re about level on points.

Still concerned about performances, but happy to keep an open mind about what we could still achieve. One way or another, we are still in the hunt and there’s no harm in acknowledging that.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 3
  • Robin 1

6 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Couldn’t agree more with your final comment.

Atleast we can agree on something 

Fundamentalist City supporter 

Almost radicalised City supporter. 

To be so blinded cannot be a good thing, in fact it may even be concerning that someone lacks the objectivity to see what is being played out in front of their own eyes

Strange game. Poor finishing from both sides but I thought we always looked more likely to score. 

Some observations for LJ to ponder; our movement off the ball was non existent for throw-ins and I felt for the thrower - he had no clear options and ultimately had to take pot luck  - a throw should be an advantage but we hardly used them at all to our benefit. 

Secondly, why take Pato off? Him, Weimann and Elliasson were the most committed in my book - making runs, busy and being a complete nuisance. No disrespect to O’Dowda but I wouldn’t have made that change - having said that, we scored immediately after, so possibly a master stroke - hey, what do I know?!!!!

great 3 points and still up there fighting with the promotion pack. With Leeds losing its a good weekend so far!!! :)

13 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

You didn’t say name strikers though did you!

Millwall signed Woods, Fulham signed a keeper and Kongolo, Barnsley signed some foreign midfielder, Huddersfield signed a left back...

Not sure what you want me to prove. Even premier league clubs are making signings which, if you believe what is said, is practically impossible to do in January!

You suggest that it is somehow a unique Bristol City excuse that signing players in January is difficult, though that appears to be the view of every club in the country. More so when it comes to strikers of course.

Your list is both short - naturally as there have been few notable signings as usual at this point - and includes nobody who would meet our needs.

What advice would you give the club? Bear in mind that many fans are demanding a proven 20 goal striker.

15 minutes ago, pillred said:

All about opinions, Ole talked about the Shrewsbury game like we deserved to win and passed the ball around well, my friends that went told me today we had been rubbish, there you go.  

I look for a performance that suggests we would be likely to win. That means creating good opportunities to score, and limiting the opposition. Whether we do that through passing, countering, crossing, long balls - I'm not bothered. Some of those styles look better than others. All I really want is for us to make half a dozen good strong scoring chances each game. Whether we score them or not is another matter btw.

We did that today. We got a bit lucky at the other end as well, and there's definitely some work to do still on limiting the opponent's chances, but on balance today was effective if not all that pretty.

In my opinion etc etc.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You suggest that it is somehow a unique Bristol City excuse that signing players in January is difficult, though that appears to be the view of every club in the country. More so when it comes to strikers of course.

Your list is both short - naturally as there have been few notable signings as usual at this point - and includes nobody who would meet our needs.

What advice would you give the club? Bear in mind that many fans are demanding a proven 20 goal striker.

Sign someone...

Or at least start with someone vaguely interested in joining us!

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I look for a performance that suggests we would be likely to win. That means creating good opportunities to score, and limiting the opposition. Whether we do that through passing, countering, crossing, long balls - I'm not bothered. Some of those styles look better than others. All I really want is for us to make half a dozen good strong scoring chances each game. Whether we score them or not is another matter btw.

We did that today. We got a bit lucky at the other end as well, and there's definitely some work to do still on limiting the opponent's chances, but on balance today was effective if not all that pretty.

In my opinion etc etc.

Glad you enjoyed it and pleased that we won for the supporters that went today, but still find it frustrating that despite fairly massive investment (comparatively) we still have little consistency and struggle to beat teams like Barnsley, let's hope we can gain some confidence and put in the performances that we all feel they should be putting in.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pillred said:

Glad you enjoyed it and pleased that we won for the supporters that went today, but still find it frustrating that despite fairly massive investment (comparatively) we still have little consistency and struggle to beat teams like Barnsley, let's hope we can gain some confidence and put in the performances that we all feel they should be putting in.  

Oh absolutely mate. One swallow doesn't make a summer and one half decent and deserved win is not a full season. I'm just trying to give credit where it's due: today was better than the past few months.

• Like 1

3pts and a clean sheet will take...... But that didn't tell the whole story... Again a lacklustre performance with no direction and predictable pattern. Today we looked for a performance and it didn't come. Only for a last burst of JD did we turn a screw against a bottom 3 team well drilled but far from good seemed to dominate the midfield and if it wasn't for CW being out we'd of been punished. You have to ask why we can't raise our game?? Even the most staunch city fan watching that today up until our break through most admit it's poor and a better team would of punished us. 2 weeks to make a difference, will it happen? I think not..... 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Any signs of incomings in the post match 

He said we really need a couple of reinforcements , none on the immediate horizon but they were trying.  Nothing much moving but needed the domino effect to kick in.

I sensed he was a bit frustrated, perhaps not making subs was his way of making a point to the Board in the same way Cott's did when he didn't fill his bench. 

Edited by Port Red
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Strange game. Poor finishing from both sides but I thought we always looked more likely to score. 

Some observations for LJ to ponder; our movement off the ball was non existent for throw-ins and I felt for the thrower - he had no clear options and ultimately had to take pot luck  - a throw should be an advantage but we hardly used them at all to our benefit. 

Secondly, why take Pato off? Him, Weimann and Elliasson were the most committed in my book - making runs, busy and being a complete nuisance. No disrespect to O’Dowda but I wouldn’t have made that change - having said that, we scored immediately after, so possibly a master stroke - hey, what do I know?!!!!

great 3 points and still up there fighting with the promotion pack. With Leeds losing its a good weekend so far!!! :)

I wondered if Pato was just about lack of game time first half of the season, and he'd done a lot of running. Unusual to get to the 75th minute without LJ making a sub, and I really wasn't sure who he'd take off, there wasn't really anyone having a bad game today.

I feel sorry for the travelling Barnsley fans this evening.

Traditionally their local rivals are Rotherham, so not only is it a long drive home from a defeat, but just to rub it in, Rotherham had a 3-0 win today.

56 minutes ago, Port Red said:

He said we really need a couple of reinforcements , none on the immediate horizon but they were trying.  Nothing much moving but needed the domino effect to kick in.

I sensed he was a bit frustrated, perhaps not making subs was his way of making a point to the Board in the same way Cott's did when he didn't fill his bench. 

Maybe Steve Lansdown is making his own point by keeping his wallet firmly closed .

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’ve made it clear recently I’m concerned about Johnson and I do feel someone else could get more from this squad.

But equally you can’t say we don’t have “a hope in hell” of finishing in the play offs when we’re joint 6th after 28 games. Quite clearly we do have a chance, and after that many games clearly other teams around us can’t be that superior if we’re about level on points.

Still concerned about performances, but happy to keep an open mind about what we could still achieve. One way or another, we are still in the hunt and there’s no harm in acknowledging that.

I know you're being measured on this, but I will add one point to temper the optimism...

Before our next game, Forest play Luton and Reading at home. Even a win and a draw would mean they're 4 points ahead of us.

Also before we play, Swansea play Stoke and Preston play Barnsley.

We could quite believable be 9th and 4 points behind the playoffs in a week. Suddenly we're anxious again.

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

I know you're being measured on this, but I will add one point to temper the optimism...

Before our next game, Forest play Luton and Reading at home. Even a win and a draw would mean they're 4 points ahead of us.

We could quite believable be 9th and 4 points behind the playoffs in a week. Suddenly we're anxious again.

But obviously all the sides around us are as inconsistent and unpredictable as we are - or they wouldn’t be on similar points. So they are just as likely to drop points as us.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah but we’re just starting out on another Streaky Lee run now. We’ll be 8 points clear at the top by March........

Hes only gone and stitched us all up and timed his relegation form run to perfection this season!!