IGNORED

Dead Ball Blues

Guest thomson

Guest thomson

City continue to give stupid free kicks away outside our 18 yards box. Time and time again either our marking is poor or the opposition gets to the ball or indeed any rebounds.

Liverpool use Haman for this important function and it has worked for many years with them. Also we have no special coaching benefits when we have throw ins because no one does blind runs to give us an advantage.

Peacock, Roberts could do with basic skills practice on killing the ball then moving off with it under CONTROL. Please let us see an improvement coming through because the players need it on the pitch.

Alex Thomson

Longwell Green

Guest Top Corner

Seeing as we've got one of the better defensive records in the division this season, especially if you overlook the Wycombe disaster, it's all the more galling the amount of goals we have leaked from set plays this season, especially from run of the mill free kicks.

In a tight division with a lot of evenly matched sides 'giving' sides goals from set plays can make all the difference.

Not sure how many points we've lost this season via set play goals, but you don't have to think too far back to think of the last one. That was one point lost and who is to say it wasn't 3 points lost, as Blackpool, being the home side, might have been forced to push more men forward the longer the game went on goalless, leaving even more room for the likes of Roberts, Miller to have exploited.

Sorry have to disagree with you there robbored, I don't think many of them can be blamed on phillips, it's usually the wall falling to pieces, or a ball is flighted in and the wall would of made no difference.

We need to have more conviction when going up to head balls out of our own area, and just need to react a bit quicker when the ball is bobbling about our own area. I've lost count of the number of times the ball has been hit by about 3 different players before it even leaves the area when defending!

Guest east_dundry_red
Sorry have to disagree with you there robbored, I don't think many of them can be blamed on phillips, it's usually the wall falling to pieces, or a ball is flighted in and the wall would of made no difference.

I think nearly ALL of them can. He doesnt command his area well enouth. NO free kicks should be scored unless they go into the highest furthes point of the goal (i.e top courner s####ing the bar on the way in)

Look at the blackpool game. If phillips would of commanded his area better that goal wouldnt of been scored.

To be fair to steve there have been occasions this season when he shouts instructions and he just gets ignored. That happens at all levels of football, Paul Scholes did it in the chairty shield when being told to move by the yank keeper and he didnt and the ball sailed in thanks to a certain mr Henry.

The goal keeper and back four are one unit and mistakes are generally down to all of them, For me the main reason for the amount of headed goals from set pieces were down to Butler this season, God knows what happened to his game but he seemed to be doing his best impression of Julien Watts !

I do feel that we have looked better in the last couple of games though.......so coincidence that Butler has been "rested"

Hopefully he will come back as the player we had last season.

You can't blame the goalie if the free kick is taken so well, I very rarely think the wall is in the wrong place.

Wasn't the blackpool goal taken as a rebound from phillips? More a case of not catching the ball properly, not a case of 'commanding'.

I think Phillips deserves more credit than we give him, he has kept us in a lot of games already this season with his shot stopping, I can't think of a better goalie at this level.

You can't blame the goalie if the free kick is taken so well, I very rarely think the wall is in the wrong place.

Wasn't the blackpool goal taken as a rebound from phillips? More a case of not catching the ball properly, not a case of 'commanding'.

I think Phillips deserves more credit than we give him, he has kept us in a lot of games already this season with his shot stopping, I can't think of a better goalie at this level.

I thought the other one on Saturday got MoM. Although he is on loan from Middlesborough.

The fact of the matter is that Phillips tends to parry outwards in stead of sideways which even as an 11 year old goalie my school coach hammered home, if you'll excuse the pun.

Its easy to parry balls sideways that you have time to judge and adjust your body shape to, Phillips does this as well as any other keeper. He parrys shots back into play that he does well to get to, Lesser keepers would have not got to some of the shots he has saved/parried this season. Its then down to the back four to get to the ball first and we havent been as quick as we should be when the ball drops.......once again it shows how the keeper and defence have to be a unit to be succsessful.

There really arent many better keepers at this level, All keepers makes mistakes. Hell the current England keeper is a fine shot stopper but usless at commanding his area !

Archived