IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

Glad you agree he is not a Striker that was the whole point of this thread.

Not sure about cartoon comment - I do mean a Striker. They still exist although are current Strikers may have you confused you....

The main point was I don’t think he will score goals at this level (Championship).  As of yet he has not scored 1. 

My opinion seems to have been unpopular with certain members of the forum and they are struggling to come to terms that I was right(up to now)

Despite the ‘Fact’ that we all agree he is not a Striker and he has not netted a Championship goal this season it still seems difficult for people to except I was right (up to now)

As for his position agree plays wide in a forward position and looks a decent player. But needs to add goals we can’t afford another COD 1 or 2 a season is not enough and if we are to improve we will need at least 6 a season as a minimum.

The debate now is will he score at this level ? 

I don’t agree with the whole notion of striker. I thought that was clear. We have forwards. The nearest to an out and out goal scorer is Wells, which I think I mentioned earlier in the thread. However Holden has played him out wider not centrally, by and large with Fammy more centrally, nevertheless Fammy has a defensive roll to play that he is complemented on consistently, of which I’m sure you are aware.

At this time we are not playing with an out and Jimmy Greaves style “Striker” who has only one roll to score (to be frank many clubs don’t currently as they are few and expensive) Could Semenyo become an out and out goal scoring striker....? Of course....Is he being played as one, no!....Mainly because of all of his excellent work he unsettles himself in front of goal. Will that get better of course, because he’s got the makings of a great player, we will see where that leads.

I’m not sure what difficulty you think I or anyone else is having. I don’t agree with the premise of the thread and have now said so three times. 

Your last paragraph has some resonance. He needs to add more goals which I said in the comment you are replying to. More goals and he may get played down the middle at the pinnacle of our attack as a striker, however right now he offers more as a running forward and as impressive in that role, not in the role that he isn’t playing  which you are criticizing him for. 

I hope that my thoughts stated again are clear.

FYI. The club profile for the lad has him listed as a forward

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I don’t agree with the whole notion of striker. I thought that was clear. We have forwards. The nearest to an out and out goal scorer is Wells, which I think I mentioned earlier in the thread. However Holden has played him out wider not centrally, by and large with Fammy more centrally, nevertheless Fammy has a defensive roll to play that he is complemented on consistently, of which I’m sure you are aware.

At this time we are not playing with an out and Jimmy Greaves style “Striker” who has only one roll to score (to be frank many clubs don’t currently as they are few and expensive) Could Semenyo become an out and out goal scoring striker....? Of course....Is he being played as one, no!....Mainly because of all of his excellent work he unsettles himself in front of goal. Will that get better of course, because he’s got the makings of a great player, we will see where that leads.

I’m not sure what difficulty you think I or anyone else is having. I don’t agree with the premise of the thread and have now said so three times. 

Your last paragraph has some resonance. He needs to add more goals which I said in the comment you are replying to. More goals and he may get played down the middle at the pinnacle of our attack as a striker, however right now he offers more as a running forward and as impressive in that role, not in the role that he isn’t playing  which you are criticizing him for. 

I hope that my thoughts stated again are clear

Sorry you don’t agree with the notion Striker’??

Not sure what you are saying. If you are saying that Strikers do not exist any more I think you need to re think that theory.

Fammy, Wells, Kane, Vardy, Cavani, Calvert Lewis, Bamford, Aguero, Lukaku, Lewandowski, Mbappe, Holland...

They are all definitely ‘Strikers’

Might just re think that statement 

so you might need to make it four times but remove the bit about ‘Strikers’....

Happy for you to desegregate about if he will score or not but not about that Strikers don’t exist..

8 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Sorry you don’t agree with the notion Striker’??

Not sure what you are saying. If you are saying that Strikers do not exist any more I think you need to re think that theory.

Fammy, Wells, Kane, Vardy, Cavani, Calvert Lewis, Bamford, Aguero, Lukaku, Lewandowski, Mbappe, Holland...

They are all definitely ‘Strikers’

Might just re think that statement 

so you might need to make it four times but remove the bit about ‘Strikers’....

Happy for you to desegregate about if he will score or not but not about that Strikers don’t exist..

Again the title of this thread is...Semenyo is not a striker they score goals!

Semenyo is not playing at the pinnacle of our attack as a goal scorer, as using your term, a Striker, more than implies!

Fammy is being played as an old fashioned center forward, (number nine) that is clear. With multiple defensive duties  I would suggest he would get a kick out of his name being mentioned with the players you mention 

The other forwards you mention are world class goal scorers that you prefer to call strikers, most of whom are being played as a one roll goal scoring forward, (your term striker) which Semenyo certainly is not.

However it makes my point perfectly as these guys are few and far between and all have played at the highest level with the exception of Bamford who might. 

We have forwards, we don’t have an out and out goal scorer (your term Striker) and it certainly has not been Semenyo.

Thus If you had titled the thread Semenyo is not a forward they score goals, it may have made more sense, but still would have been wrong!

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Semenyo is not playing at the pinnacle of our attack as a goal scorer, as using your term, a Striker, more than implies!

Fammy is being played as an old fashioned center forward, (number nine) that is clear. With multiple defensive duties  I would suggest he would get a kick out of his name being mentioned with the players you mention 

The other forwards you mention are world class goal scorers that you prefer to call strikers, most of whom are being played as a one roll goal scoring forward, (your term striker) which Semenyo certainly is not.

However it makes my point perfectly as these guys are few and far between and all have played at the highest level with the exception of Bamford who might. 

We have forwards, we don’t have an out and out goal scorer (your term Striker) and it certainly has not been Semenyo.

Thus If you had titled the thread Semenyo is not a forward they score goals, it may have made more sense, but still would have been wrong!

Don’t worry, the sooner some people realise that they are constraining their thought processes by using terms like “striker” to evaluate performance of a player the better.  It can be useful, in its simplistic form, but perhaps demonstrates why English football hasn’t evolved like in other countries.

Thomas Muller, idolised in Germany, Dirk Kuyt, “doesn’t score enough” in this country.  What does that say?

Same as people thinking 433 is more attacking than 451, and the number of “strikers” determines your “attackingness”. 

What a load of horseshit!!

A recent German squad simply listed their players as Goalkeepers, Defenders and Forwards.  Not striker in sight.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t worry, the sooner some people realise that they are constraining their thought processes by using terms like “striker” to evaluate performance of a player the better.  It can be useful, in its simplistic form, but perhaps demonstrates why English football hasn’t evolved like in other countries.

Thomas Muller, idolised in Germany, Dirk Kuyt, “doesn’t score enough” in this country.  What does that say?

Same as people thinking 433 is more attacking than 451, and the number of “strikers” determines your “attackingness”. 

A recent German squad simply listed their players as Goalkeepers, Defenders and Forwards.  Not striker in sight.

Don’t be ridiculous.

We all know what a Striker is.

You just look stupid trying to argue they don’t exist.

Honestly have a word with your self...

Not sure I can take you seriously with nonsense like that.

9 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

If folks are trying to bolster Semenyo's prowess by including league & cup fixtures he's notched 9 in 83 appearances, not forgetting half of which were in Divs 1&2.

Striker he ain't.....

Neither was Bobby Reid BTR with all possible respect.

There's something about AS that I like, maybe its his directness.

I genuinely think we have a good player on our hands. Could he replace Fam? 

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Are you for real. Few and fat between..

You don’t think Wells is a striker.

I stopped listing ‘Strikers’ because I got bored.... 

Here is just a few more to help ‘Strikers’ Note not all world class and named a few you might know.

Maupay, Woods,Ings, Jimenez, Puki, Deeney, Toney, Jukiewicz...

with the best intentions your are talking nonsense. 

Santa Claus, The lockness monster, Yeti I will give you but Striker...

Come on

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

There's something about AS that I like, maybe its his directness.

I genuinely think we have a good player on our hands. Could he replace Fam? 

Could he offer more than Fam? Yes, in the right team set up.  I really hope that if Fam goes we replace him with something different.....pace.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Here is just a few more to help ‘Strikers’ Note not all world class and named a few you might know.

Come on

Not sure how many are 'traditional' strikers tbh.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not sure how many are 'traditional' strikers tbh.

Not you as well. Stop it.

Which ones are not Strikers from the 15 or so I have mentioned.

Deeney - Good spot Play maker who sits behind the Striker...

Toney was that false number 9 we were after.. 

Ings he could play wide in a three...

Woods he can play in the Messi role..

The answer ‘No’ to all three. The reason because they all ‘Strikers’

Sorry but you just don’t understand football or you are messing about - can’t work out which one..

If your messing about. Then at least I have educated you about a ‘Striker’

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah baby! 

2 hours ago, Better Red said:

Come on

Is school open tomorrow!

6 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Is school open tomorrow!

Only for key workers kids.

If you read a bit more you would know.

I recommend 442 magazine.

They have a nice article for you to help - Ranked! The best ‘strikers’ in the world. October 15 2020 addition.

But then again what do they know.

Maybe you could write them a message and let them they don’t exist.

Like I said stop talking nonsense....

19 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Only for key workers kids.

If you read a bit more you would know.

I recommend 442 magazine.

They have a nice article for you to help - Ranked! The best ‘strikers’ in the world. October 15 2020 addition.

But then again what do they know.

Maybe you could write them a message and let them they don’t exist.

Like I said stop talking nonsense....

troll GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How can someone be league one level, when arguably he was our man of the match on Saturday?

Does he not also have the best pass accuracy in the Team? Courtesy of you Dave that was i think. If he starts banging in goals at his age say 15-20 do people think he would remain here ? 

17 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Perchance like Garita, Burns, Eisa, Engvald, McCoulsky and other 'wunderkinds' too numerous to mention he'll be scoring occasionally somewhere.

He may even follow in the steps and hit the heights of much missed De Giralomo who's banging one in every other game....at Buxton!

And there was I thinking we had pretentions to be a Championship contender.....

To be fair , he’s still raw no doubt but a much better player than the players you’ve listed. He needs to be calmer around the box . His finish Saturday was a prime example of this. Times he’s smashed a finish when others are in better positions but I think that calmness & final ball will come 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Because he's league one at best.

That's his level....

Let's hope he's not there with us?

Some of you are so quick to trash young players. Do you write off all young people so quickly? Lets hope you dont work in education

Have a word with yourself

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

In fairness that MIllwall team they put out was league one.

There are good signs but lets be honest, he needs to start doing it in the league consistently.

It wasn’t though was it?  Other than Fielding the outfield ten had started 149 of 240 league games available (62%).

14B95F1E-85E6-45DE-A2B5-DBB153F152DB.thumb.jpeg.6b12c510a47ce9c9589ef4095a5154f0.jpeg

People sucked into the rhetoric that they made 8 changes, the likes of Romeo was a returning first teamer as was Bennett, whilst Zohore has only recently returned.  I totally get they didn’t play Williams or Wallace, but you can see that it wasn’t as far off their first team as “8 changes” makes it look.

Of course I’m not saying Millwall are a great Champ team either, but it wasn’t a “reserve team” either.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It wasn’t though was it?  Other than Fielding the outfield ten had started 149 of 240 league games available (62%).

14B95F1E-85E6-45DE-A2B5-DBB153F152DB.thumb.jpeg.6b12c510a47ce9c9589ef4095a5154f0.jpeg

People sucked into the rhetoric that they made 8 changes, the likes of Romeo was a returning first teamer as was Bennett, whilst Zohore has only recently returned.  I totally get they didn’t play Williams or Wallace, but you can see that it wasn’t as far off their first team as “8 changes” makes it look.

Of course I’m not saying Millwall are a great Champ team either, but it wasn’t a “reserve team” either.

Fair enough  - however their form has been league one (as in 14 points from last 16 games). So I wont getting too excited about him scoring against what was essentially half of a normally weak championship side. Sad to say that they've won 2 of those 16 and one was against us (and the other versus Huddersfield which maybe gives us hope for tonight).

Hopefully he scores tonight and can get going in the league.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Always said exactly that. Reid had an exceptional 6 months upfront because we caught teams cold - they underestimated his ability. As soon as they adjusted he was quickly found out.  

Amazing Cardiff/Fulham didn't cotton-on to the fact he's a far superior player behind the front two. But Semenyo is no Reid. Although neither are volume goalscorers Reid had consistent and quality output; he could pick a pass and find an opponent. He could also harass & close. Semenyo has the occasional mazy run but largely his end product is severely found wanting. Both side netting and hoardings know that from bitter experience.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Always said exactly that. Reid had an exceptional 6 months upfront because we caught teams cold - they underestimated his ability. As soon as they adjusted he was quickly found out.  

Amazing Cardiff/Fulham didn't cotton-on to the fact he's a far superior player behind the front two. But Semenyo is no Reid. Although neither are volume goalscorers Reid had consistent and quality output; he could pick a pass and find an opponent. He could also harass & close. Semenyo has the occasional mazy run but largely his end product is severely found wanting. Both side netting and hoardings know that from bitter experience.

I don't disagree with any of that but I do believe AS has the attributes and age to possibly surpass Bobby Reid. It will be interesting to see how he develops and whether one of the big clubs see something in him. Either way, BCFC win.

Let's hope it's with us eh! ?

On 24/01/2021 at 15:01, Sheltons Army said:

No goals for Antoine today

That @Better Red May be right you know

Whats the betting no goals again tomorrow 

Lets up tonight is the night he proves me wrong. I hope so.

Never a better chance. Scored a great goal against Millwall and against one of the poorer teams.

I am sure everyone will let me know. 

23 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I hope that my thoughts stated again are clear.

FYI. The club profile for the lad has him listed as a forward

One of our ‘Strikers’ has scored twice..

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One of our ‘Strikers’ has scored 2 tonight....

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You need to work harder at speaking. GCSE fail coming up son...

Another week and no goals. I don’t like to told you so but.... 

Spelling OK? 

On 24/01/2021 at 15:01, Sheltons Army said:

No goals for Antoine today

That @Better Red May be right you know

Whats the betting no goals again tomorrow 

And today...

23 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Another week and no goals. I don’t like to told you so but.... 

Spelling OK? 

And today...

You crack on Belter ?

Keep posting for yourself , with your trousers round your knees 

The fact that you are well along the line of achieving possibly the biggest bell end to have eversigned up,to the forum , which will stay with you for ever ,  is neither here or there I guess

Back to Football Manager , no school tomorrow

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

You crack on Belter ?

The fact that you are well along the line of achieving possibly the biggest bell end to have eversigned up,to the forum , which will stay with you for ever ,  is neither here or there I guess

He will be back with a fifth new username soon! 

44 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

You crack on Belter ?

But right..

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

grindr GIF

But a right one...

Next time perhaps don’t be to quick to dismiss other people’s opinions.

They just  might remind you that they were right.

Did I mention I was right. 

Don’t like to say I told you so, but I told you so....

Also how is the reading up on ‘Strikers’ going ?  Again  I was right

Sorry I keep having to say I am right...

Obviously seems to erk you a bit.

Like I said, don’t dismiss other people’s opinions to quickly otherwise they will keep telling you they are right, when there right.

56 minutes ago, Better Red said:

But a right one...

Next time perhaps don’t be to quick to dismiss other people’s opinions.

They just  might remind you that they were right.

Did I mention I was right. 

Don’t like to say I told you so, but I told you so....

Also how is the reading up on ‘Strikers’ going ?  Again  I was right

Sorry I keep having to say I am right...

Obviously seems to erk you a bit.

Like I said, don’t dismiss other people’s opinions to quickly otherwise they will keep telling you they are right, when there right.

Seriously if you need to chat, DMs open.  

Several times on Robins TV they made reference to him 'trying one trick too many', or 'trying to do too much'. What they actually should have said was 'trying to control the ball, unsuccessfully'.

He didn't score, he rarely does, he gave the ball away easily but he wasn't the worst (I'll reserve that again for Wells who other than miss his first header did nothing so far as I could see.)

Again tonight it was blatantly obvious, if we want to compete we need a fire sell, including the non-strikers on show.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Davo370 said:

Semenyo is one of our better players. Creates more than the rest of the team put together.

I think he has improved this season.

But in a front three you have got to score  otherwise we try someone else.

Same goes for a Fammy and Wells. They have to contribute goals.

Its not all his fault. The midfield create so few opportunities. But watching him he never looks like scoring.

Maybe it’s the tactics or maybe it’s poor coaching. Either way he is not improving that side of his game.

Also everyone says about his pace. You never really see that in the games. He comes inside a lot from deep positions and can beat his man. But I have never seen him beat his man on the outside and go to the byline. I have seen Edwards do it twice in 15 mins of football.

I like he but I want to see goals or maybe he ain’t as good as the hype.

Just now, Slacker said:

Genuine question. What do you get out of this?

When people abuse people on here - 

1. I don’t like it.

2. I like to remind them that other people’s opinions are as important and valid as theirs. 

3.Other people’s opinions even if different can also be right.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Better Red said:

When people abuse people on here - 

1. I don’t like it.

2. I like to remind them that other people’s opinions are as important and valid as theirs. 

3.Other people’s opinions even if different can also be right.

I completely agree with all of that,however it is starting to look in my eyes that you have a big agenda against a young player in a struggling side,and that you are enjoying/looking forward to his next blank sheet.I understand your frustration with the teams performances,but you just seem to be constantly picking on an inexperienced young player,just to try and score worthless points against other posters.Semenyo is not exactly a stand out bad player in an otherwise performing team.If you want to challenge other posters opinions, that is of course fine,but it seems very unfair on a young player,to be using him as your ammunition. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Genuine question. What do you get out of this?

Can I offer the answer to that. I think he gets the satisfaction of knowing that his prediction to date is the correct one.

If we're honest, he hasn't looked like scoring and has been getting into good positions on a regular basis. To that end, you'd think that counting his many attempts on goal, he'd have got lucky with the odd one or two. That hasn't happened to date.

The OP has often stated that he hopes he (Semenyo) comes good and proves him wrong, but he doesn't think he will. I have to agree with him at the moment.

Semenyo has lots of abilities such as, pace, strength, a hard shot, a certain amount of trickery. What he doesn't appear to have is a brain that works at the same pace as the game. He will often make the wrong choice in passing or shooting or the run to make space and doesn't see the other players giving him options (if they are). Those things come naturally to a goal scorer. Some things can be coached and other things can be improved upon and maybe, eventually he might start scoring a few goals but, doubt he'd ever get as many as ten in a season. I know he's a long way behind in his football education in professional terms but, you have to have a knack of scoring. that seems to elude him at present.

Hope the OP is wrong and I hope I am wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

Can I offer the answer to that. I think he gets the satisfaction of knowing that his prediction to date is the correct one.

If we're honest, he hasn't looked like scoring and has been getting into good positions on a regular basis. To that end, you'd think that counting his many attempts on goal, he'd have got lucky with the odd one or two. That hasn't happened to date.

The OP has often stated that he hopes he (Semenyo) comes good and proves him wrong, but he doesn't think he will. I have to agree with him at the moment.

Semenyo has lots of abilities such as, pace, strength, a hard shot, a certain amount of trickery. What he doesn't appear to have is a brain that works at the same pace as the game. He will often make the wrong choice in passing or shooting or the run to make space and doesn't see the other players giving him options (if they are). Those things come naturally to a goal scorer. Some things can be coached and other things can be improved upon and maybe, eventually he might start scoring a few goals but, doubt he'd ever get as many as ten in a season. I know he's a long way behind in his football education in professional terms but, you have to have a knack of scoring. that seems to elude him at present.

Hope the OP is wrong and I hope I am wrong. 

Have to agree with this really.OP has in fairness,said he hopes AS progresses,as we all do.I feel though that constantly highlighting one player,in what are continuing poor performances,is unfair and unnecessary. We can all see AS goal stats,and I don't see the need for the constant gloating.

• Like 1

Just now, JonDolman said:

Semenyo had a bad game today except a couple of good things he did.

To be fair there haven't been many bad games from him, and is often our main creative spark. I am always thinking get it to Antoine.

It should be him that is inconsistent not some of the others. But to be fair to the others I don't think Holden sets them up right so no one is expected to play to their best when the blend isn't right.

Yet you wanted to play Semenyo at Left Wing Back !

10 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Have to agree with this really.OP has in fairness,said he hopes AS progresses,as we all do.I feel though that constantly highlighting one player,in what are continuing poor performances,is unfair and unnecessary. We can all see AS goal stats,and I don't see the need for the constant gloating.

I haven't read the whole list of posts but, it looks like the OP was given a hard time on here, perhaps some of it deserved, as a result he's taken to getting his own back on those posters. Probably down to frustration as well, in regards to the shyte we're having to put up with at the moment, from more than just the one source.

There appears to be a section of posters OTIB, in life as well, who delight in having the opportunity to knock others and never miss an opportunity to do so. We also have those that see any criticism of the team/club as a personal attack on themselves. They then shout all sorts of abuse, towards the critic. We have to be careful that this response doesn't grow, as we could end up like the blue few, who ban any detractors under the guise of shitheads., and, it doesn't seem to be doing them any good whatsoever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was getting desperate! ? If we were to play wing backs then what options would be better at left wing back? Marriapa?

When I looked at that starting 11 I thought that might be the best way to go. And I still think that actually. We looked terrible in that 433 with Mariappa left back, Wells right wing. Lansbury in front of our defence!?

Holden seemed to agree with me when he moved him there 2nd half and went to 352. I don't think Semenyo is a wing back but we don't really have any obvious player to play left back or left wing back. 

Hudson Odoi has recently played a couple of games at wing back for Chelsea and looked fine. I think sometimes wingers can do that role if they work hard like Semenyo does, and has good attributes like Semenyo has for that role.

Not ideal but would not have looked any worse than how Holden had us set up!

Fair enough

But an experienced Ex Premier League defender shouldn’t look so out of place , even playing on the wrong side

Not easy but give him some protection and just ask him to defend no frills , basically and simply

Been very disappointed in him , even with the mitigation he’s out of position 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Fair enough

But an experienced Ex Premier League defender shouldn’t look so out of place , even playing on the wrong side

Not easy but give him some protection and just ask him to defend no frills , basically and simply

Been very disappointed in him , even with the mitigation he’s out of position 

Agree with you on that assessment. Very poor in all aspects of his game, seems to lack a bit of enthusiasm. If it weren't for beggars can't be choosers, I don't think we'd have signed him in the first place.

It seems obvious to me that we should play with our strongest three available at the back, in Mawson, Kalas and Vyner. Stick with Hunt on the right and a strong mobile player on the left, possibly Semenyo, then you can try and form a defensive and an attack side to the central three midfielders. Both wing backs would/should do a decent job which only leaves the task of providing an attacking threat from our remaining two attackers. Simple aint it?