IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

The question really is why can’t we produce players that will score from midfield.

When I say midfield I mean not the front 2.

Seymenyo, Massengo, Bakinson all look technically good but I wager none of them score this season.  That’s a big statement but they just dont look like they know where the net is. 

They can’t be coached well enough and or maybe they are not as good as people think they are.

They are all attacking midfield players and yet never look like scoring.  That’s a problem for me. They need to get minimum 6 a season.

None of them are physical enough to stamp authority on the game at this point in there career.

So do they look neat and tidy yes. Will they improve yes but will they improve enough to be here this time next season not so sure.

Would they be in the team if everyone was fit? Don’t think so. That would mean we have no one from the academy except Vyner near the first team and he is not really a kid anymore.

So for all the praise of the academy set up not sure it’s as good as some would say.

Edwards does look like an exciting player that for me looks like he could be a player that holds done a first team place ‘now’ we don’t have another player in the squad that can run at players like him.

We all want the kids to come through but they have got to be good enough. Its not about potential it’s about ‘now’ and winning games. 

I am not anti players young or old. But I will say it as I see it and if that means not always being positive for the sake of it then I will say it. 

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

The emergence of Semenyo, Vyner, Bakinson etc has been the highlight of an otherwise Depressing season

Apart from a few games at start I’d wouldn’t be getting excited about Bakinson. Vyner has been OK - people seem to be going way ott about him. Semenyo I think is close to being handy and may well be so next season but he isn’t a goal scorer. 

• Like 1

He needs a rest.

The kid has talent - but isn't being coached in a way he understands - as per matchday commentary comments.

If he doesn't get it - then the message needs to be delivered in a way he can get it.

Video, wax crayons, role-play, whatever.

The biggest issue is that we have D grade coaches with some young players who could actually be Championship / lower Prem players one day.

HNM, Semenyo, Bakinson and Vyner.

If I were them, I'd be seeking a club with top-class coaching and fitness staff.

Just to see how good I could actually be.

4 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

The emergence of Semenyo, Vyner, Bakinson etc has been the highlight of an otherwise Depressing season

Shows how poor the season has been then. A striker with no league goals, a centre half playing anchor midfield, and a guy who’s early season promise has dropped off a cliff.

Pretty damning in itself if this is your highlight.

Edited by TomThumb84
  • Like 2

Perhaps forum members might like to consider it this way?

Rather than considering them 'personal' attacks on certain players, an apparent agenda against them, perchance it could be members stating the blindingly obvious in that amongst a woeful squad of players there are some who simply shouldn't be there. Players who aren't good enough and never will be. City underperform because they do.

It's interesting to note the difference in attitude between those we've acquired and those we've supposedly developed (sic). I could pick from dozens of examples (they're not personal attacks,) but here goes:

In the former category we have the likes of Wells and Mariappa. Wells is pound for pound the biggest waste of money ever spent at AG. He came with a vastly over-inflated reputation, he's only ever had two good seasons in an otherwise inglorious career. I'm not convinced by: 'he's playing out wide', 'low on confidence' excuses. He's supposedly a quality striker, save he's unable to hold up the ball, has poor touch and if he can't motivate himself to 'go and go again' it means he's a loser. As clearly are City. Mariappa's another. Other than being 'Ex-Premier' I knew little of him. I do now. I know he hasn't the ability to track a run, I know he thinks the best way to tackle an opponent is to point to where a teammate should intervene on his behalf, I know he's firmly in the Bryan school of defending the cross (i.e. 5 yard distant so not defending at all,) I know he ducks under headers in the box. I know he should be anywhere but AG.

In the latter category the excuse is usually they're 'young', 'for the future'. Neither are acceptable. Either they are able to compete, NOW, or they are not. If it's that they aren't up to it, they shouldn't be in the squad. Folks bang on about Bakinson having a 'nice touch' and 'movement'. That he does, though only if there's nobody within a country mile of him. He is also  allergic to the tackle and, worst of all,  gives the ball away time, after time, after time. These final two characteristics render him a liability in midfield and until he learns to rectify his weaknesses he shouldn't play (at least not for City.) Ditto Semenyo whose 'Last Time I Scored A League Goal' counter ticks faster than the US National Debt billboard in midtown Manhattan. So the striker (who isn't) gets dropped deeper and deeper and deeper such yesterday he was supposedly a wing-back. Save he wasn't. His tackles are as rare as him hitting the back of the net. He should be dropped deep; somewhere near Clevedon Town, I reckon, where he may find use for his talents.

I could have highlighted 15 or more other first teamers. Until we cease making good excuses for bad rubbish we deserve the types of performance (sic) we observed again yesterday. If you wish to continue with the excuses then, in my book, you're every bit as culpable as Ashton, management & medical staffs.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Ditto Semenyo whose 'Last Time I Scored A League Goal' counter ticks faster than the US National Debt billboard in midtown Manhattan. So the striker (who isn't) gets dropped deeper and deeper and deeper such yesterday he was supposedly a wing-back. Save he wasn't. His tackles are as rare as him hitting the back of the net. He should be dropped deep; somewhere near Clevedon Town, I reckon, where he may find use for his talents.

Sadly correct....

A waste of a shirt as it stands.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The guy behind this agenda is obviously a tool, but we keep biting (sometimes in juvenile massive letters) every time he bumps the thread so who’s the real winner?

Again thanks for the feedback.

I will help one last time.

Its a forum and we share our thoughts.
There are no ‘winners’ or losers.

Thoughts are processed in the brain using your knowledge, experience and intelligence. Then in this case put into words on the forum.

You may wish to contribute to the debate and you are more then welcome to do so.

Also note - I am not the one using ‘Massive Juvenile’ letters. I do agree that is childish and maybe you should direct that comment to the people who do that, your apology is accepted.

Again thanks for the feedback as always it’s very welcome.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Shows how poor the season has been then. A striker with no league goals, a centre half playing anchor midfield, and a guy who’s early season promise has dropped off a cliff.

Pretty damning in itself if this is your highlight.

I know you are disappointed and lots of us are disappointed with the way we are playing but if you can’t see that Zac Vyner has come on leaps and bounds this season you need to go to Specsavers. You act as though a Centre Half who can do a job and get the odd goal from CDM is a bad thing when in reality he’s carrying out a task that 90% of centre half’s would be unable to accomplish. That’s just criticism for criticism’ sake imo.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I know you are disappointed and lots of us are disappointed with the way we are playing but if you can’t see that Zac Vyner has come on leaps and bounds this season you need to go to Specsavers. You act as though a Centre Half who can do a job and get the odd goal from CDM is a bad thing when in reality he’s carrying out a task that 90% of centre half’s would be unable to accomplish. That’s just criticism for criticism’ sake imo.

He has come on leaps and bounds, but my point is Zak Vyner should not be a stand out player in a side with Top 6 aspirations. Simple concept to understand.

3 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

He has come on leaps and bounds, but my point is Zak Vyner should not be a stand out player in a side with Top 6 aspirations. Simple concept to understand.

It’s also simple to understand that for all the bullshit and bluster that emanates from the Boardroom our squad is not top 6 quality.

1 minute ago, Bassomylord said:

Argument is they signed him to make them better....other argument is that he has hardly got into our team for a year and a half.

Fulton Grimes Smith are no better then Williams Lansbury Nagy etc but far better drilled.....you could argue that Bentley Kalas and Mawson on paper are the best back 3 in the league bar Norwich.

Fair point on those three defensive players. Now go up the other end and see what you think!!!!!

1 hour ago, Bassomylord said:

Disagree completely. Swansea, Reading player for player arent better than us.....but far better coached and drilled.

If you pick an 11 between the 3 teams we would be lucky to get 2 into the 11.

Bentley but Woodman is pretty good

And 1 of the 2 centre backs.

That says why we are not a top 6 club

With a better manager we would be in a much closer position but for me still not quiet there.

Ultimately it’s about players. The better players the better team.

3 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

Disagree completely. Swansea, Reading player for player arent better than us.....but far better coached and drilled.

Have to disagree with you there, the forward players of Reading are vastly superior to what we have no matter how they are being coached.

I was very impressed by Reading especially in the forward areas.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Football matches don't involve 3 teams so a completely pointless post.

What don’t you understand about if you pick a best 11 between the 3 clubs we only get 2 players in it if we are lucky.

Hence making the point the other 2 teams have better players.

Does that make sense? 

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The ignore option is very useful.

Again - thank you for your feedback it is always welcome. 

You could just add a comment as to the subject we are discussing.

Just for reference you won’t see this behaviour from me on this forum as I am an ‘Adult’ and know how to treat people and their opinions with respect.

Sorry if you don’t like people having an opinion that is different  from yourself  even when it’s right - thats life.

But again thank you for the feedback it is always welcome.

I thought someone would want to post something. 

1 in 25 - Yes he’s proved me wrong....

Maybe he’s that 3 a season striker  we’ve been looking for...

Have not posted for the last 6 or so games on the subject as thought we had all finally agreed ‘I was right’....

But one more time, I guess it would not hurt.

Did not want to tell you so but I told you so... 

Great win though and also let me tell you I was screaming when he put it in. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Anyone else have the feeling he actually "baits" players (and keepers) when closing them down?

To me it feels like when closing down a player he leaves a bit of pace "in reserve" for a final burst.

The Swansea keeper today I think got caught out by this as he pretty half turned away from Semenyo so couldn't see him accelerate.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

Have not posted for the last 6 or so games on the subject as thought we had all finally agreed ‘I was right’....

not sure what you said but something along the lines of he wouldn't score in the championship if that is true you haven't told us so all you have told us is you were wrong.

if you never posted that I apologise but I really can't be arsed to go back over the whole thread just to score a point.

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

@Better Red

I'm surprised he managed to hit the target.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Great finish mind

28 minutes ago, reddoh said:

not sure what you said but something along the lines of he wouldn't score in the championship if that is true you haven't told us so all you have told us is you were wrong.

if you never posted that I apologise but I really can't be arsed to go back over the whole thread just to score a point.

But right.... 

Gets confirmed every week, well almost every week.

No need to apologise 

He scored his first and only home League goal in the week. He's scored 5 goals in 70 Championship appearances. He's won an award beating a player who scored twice as many goals as he did in the month.

I hope Semenyo really kicks on but he's much to prove and the level of accolade for what he's delivered to date is ridiculous.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Some posters desperately trying to justify why Semenyo is still shit and they were actually right all along

the hangover math GIF

A small number of these won’t go away.

He’s been transformed since coming back in to the side v Derby & so have we, the style of play has been very different with him up top.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

He scored his first and only home League goal in the week. He's scored 5 goals in 70 Championship appearances. He's won an award beating a player who scored twice as many goals as he did in the month.

I hope Semenyo really kicks on but he's much to prove and the level of accolade for what he's delivered to date is ridiculous.

So he's damned because he's not as good as Mitrovic? 

He'sbeen a breath of fresh air these past few weeks and long may it continue. 

A well deserved award. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

No one is debating whether he has a lot to prove, he has to show that this isn't a flash in the pan. However the premise of the Original Post and the opinion of the Original Poster have plainly been proved wrong.

He's just turned 22 so is a baby in comparison to Mitrovic, something that the people who gave this award clearly recognised. It's not just about his goals either, look at these figures of goals and assists versus minutes. There should be even more in assists, think of AW missing an open goal against Preston for example.

Screenshot_20220211-084335_BBC Sport~2.jpg

Edited by Port Said Red

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

No one is debating whether he has a lot to prove, he has to show that this isn't a flash in the pan. However the premise of the Original Post and the opinion of the Original Poster have plainly been proved wrong.

He's just turned 22 so is a baby in comparison to Mitrovic, something that the people who gave this award clearly recognised. It's not just about his goals either, look at these figures of goals and assists versus minutes. There should be even more in assists, think of AW missing an open goal against Preston for example.

Screenshot_20220211-084335_BBC Sport~2.jpg

11 goal involvements in 18 games is very very good. Factoring in his age, burst of pace and physicality and we are absolutely right to be excited. Can't fathom why anyone would argue against his award. Viva Semenyo!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

A small number of these won’t go away.

He’s been transformed since coming back in to the side v Derby & so have we, the style of play has been very different with him up top.

It’s almost as if some posters don’t recognise the positional switch that he made too.  Wide forward / winger last season, even wingback at times….to bona fide centre forward this season.

To keep quoting things like 5 in 70 when so many are sub appearances too?

He’s an emerging talent, one who’s on an upward trend.

I think some posters pride has been hurt by jumping on him as “Lg1 at best” a bit too early.  When will OTIB ever learn?

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

11 goal involvements in 18 games is very very good. Factoring in his age, burst of pace and physicality and we are absolutely right to be excited. Can't fathom why anyone would argue against his award. Viva Semenyo!

It’s only 1120 mins too…12.4 game equivalent.  In a bottom half side.

Viva the GOAT!

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s almost as if some posters don’t recognise the positional switch that he made too.  Wide forward / winger last season, even wingback at times….to bona fide centre forward this season.

To keep quoting things like 5 in 70 when so many are sub appearances too?

He’s an emerging talent, one who’s on an upward trend.

I think some posters pride has been hurt by jumping on him as “Lg1 at best” a bit too early.  When will OTIB ever learn?

Yep, 5 goals in his last 11 games is the stat that actually matters. Too early to extrapolate that & make 20 goal a season claims but obvious signs of his progress.

Within that, milestones like his first goal (at Hull) not coming from charging down a clearance (!), then in midweek his first league goal at AG.

All psychological steps on the way to him realising how far he can go.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Not sure you understand what 'player of the month' is...

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

19 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I suspect coaching and a change in style has been a factor, plus playing him more centrally. If people want to carp, let them. I'm just enjoying his performances (and goals).

Spot on. AS himself sees Nige as the main factor in his improved performances by having faith in him to play as a central striker. 

Some of those comments from a few posters last year don't seem to have aged well.

Yes, Semenyo was very frustrating and lacked composure in front of goal, but what a load of toss some people wrote about a very promising 20/21 year old - entertaining looking back though, so I thank them for that.  :clapping:

Couple missing in action or AWOL though.

And a very much deserved POTM award for Semenyo amounts to a two fingered salute to his detractors - well done Antoine .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

This isn’t true, though.

He’s actually scored 7 league goals in 39 starts (& many of them played out wide) & 36 sub appearances (many of them in the last 20 minutes of games).

His 5 league goals this season have come in his last 11 games, which suggests a significant upward trajectory.

It always massively undermines someone’s argument when they use falsehoods to mislead, as our current Prime Minister shows on a daily basis.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Some of those comments from a few posters last year don't seem to have aged well.

Yes, Semenyo was very frustrating and lacked composure in front of goal, but what a load of toss some people wrote about a very promising 20/21 year old - entertaining looking back though, so I thank them for that.  :clapping:

Couple missing in action or AWOL though.

And a very much deserved POTM award for Semenyo amounts to a two fingered salute to his detractors - well done Antoine .

I think the same poster who created this thread had another that trashed pretty much all our young players. Now they are being scouted by PL teams. ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This isn’t true, though.

He’s actually scored 7 league goals in 39 starts (& many of them played out wide) & 36 sub appearances (many of them in the last 20 minutes of games).

His 5 league goals this season have come in his last 11 games, which suggests a significant upward trajectory.

It always massively undermines someone’s argument when they use falsehoods to mislead, as our current Prime Minister shows on a daily basis.

Apologies, duff data but not by much. 

The kid's done well of late and hopefully will improve but he's much to improve upon. In all competitions for us that's 10 goals in 84 appearances. For those who claim he's been played out wide his assists, historically, haven't been much better. He's had plenty of chances and one might have expected a better return.

But it's not about the past, it's about the future and I hope he starts converting everything that comes his way. I don't however, think lauding him from the rafters for what he's delivered to date does him any favours. That sure didn't when we had those star-striking England youths Shaun Penny & Marvin Brown. Look what became of them?

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

The kid's done well of late and hopefully will improve but he's much to improve upon. In all competitions for us that's 10 goals in 84 appearances. For those who claim he's been played out wide his assists, historically, haven't been much better. He's had plenty of chances and one might have expected a better return.

But it's not about the past, it's about the future and I hope he starts converting everything that comes his way. I don't however, think lauding him from the rafters for what he's delivered to date does him any favours. That sure didn't when we had those star-striking England youths Shaun Penny & Marvin Brown. Look what became of them?

I get where you’re coming from, he’s been performing to this standard for a relatively short period of time and we need to see this quality over a longer period to understand his potential fully. I think some of the talk around Semenyo is premature, nothing to do with the player simply down to performances turning around in the last few months. If he keeps it up for the rest of the season then I’ll be fully convinced.

That being said, quoting his goal record is ridiculous. A lot of those appearances will have been off the bench or in a poor side and certainly weren’t up front. The point about assists is valid but he was in a poor team that was struggling across the board. It’s a big ask for a young player to come in and deliver in the championship. Just because he didn’t do so at age 20 doesn’t mean his upturn in form at 21 is a flash in the pan, players just develop at different rates.

Talk of playing for England by some posters is ridiculous mind. It’s way too early to have an inclination of that and it’s only going to put additional pressure on him. Just enjoy watching an exciting youngster, don’t put him on a pedestal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

You appear to be missing the rather simple fact that the award is for what he did in January 2022. What he did in the 2019/2020 season is utterly irrelevant.

• Like 1