IGNORED

Late Substitutions

Robbored

Almost every game you see these days whether its on TV or live you nearly always see a flurry of late substitutions.

I understand that it can be a way to use up time when your're hanging onto to result and it can also slow down the oppositions momentum but most of the time I can't see the reasoning behind it.

Take a game thats 3-0 and all but over.You'll see often see both managers make changes with two mins to go - why? whats the point?

The games over and "resting" players for two mins is a pointless exercise.Plus players get appearance money whether they play for 90mins or 90seconds and pointlessly using subs adds to the wage bill over a season and for lower league clubs every penny saved helps.

I watched the 2nd half of Wycombe v Mansfield tonight.Cracking game,either team could have nicked it and both sides were going hell for leather.Then Curle and Adams make substitutions with just two mins left! I just couldn't see the point.

Two mins isn't long enough for any sub to get a kick let alone influence a game.

A waste of time in my view.

Guest KingswoodRed
Almost every game you see these days whether its on TV or live you nearly always see a flurry of late substitutions.

I understand that it can be a way to use up time when your're hanging onto to result and it can also slow down the oppositions momentum but most of the time I can't see the reasoning behind it.

Take a game thats 3-0 and all but over.You'll see often see both managers make changes with two mins to go - why?  whats the point?

The games over and "resting" players for two mins is a pointless exercise.Plus players get appearance money whether they play for 90mins or 90seconds and pointlessly using subs adds to the wage bill over a season and for lower league clubs every penny saved helps.

I watched the 2nd half of Wycombe v Mansfield tonight.Cracking game,either team could have nicked it and both sides were going hell for leather.Then Curle and Adams make substitutions with just two mins left! I just couldn't see the point.

Two mins isn't long enough for any sub to get a kick let alone influence a game.

A  waste of time in my view.

<br /> Robbored.

Surely you have heard of appearance money. Agents cut etc etc??

Appearance money plays a big part in football nowadays, therefore it plays a big part in late substitutions also. (As well as time wasting of course).

:ph34r:

I must say McMahon really p155ed me off on Saturday, we were defending a corner just as full time was approaching, he puls off a defender who was near the dugouts, the defender ambles across and then McMahon starts waving his arms around and indicates one of their players who is stood virtually on our goal line. The indicated player then ambles across the pitch, clapping to the home supporters, did a twirl, some more clapping.

It wasn't the fact we were losing that p155ed me off I was bl00dy freezing.

Same goes to Amanks.

Archived