IGNORED

Bristol City v Millwall Match Day 19

Robin Wood

3 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Does anyone honestly expect Tuesday to be anything other than a truly awful game decided by 1 goal either way

Millwall play a similar style to Rotherham but with long diagonal balls rather than punts up the pitch. Deano already knows that as he mentioned in his post match interview.

Question is that with very little time between today and Tuesday will he and his assistants be able work with the squad enough to get the message across p?

5 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

I expect it to be a competitive, tight game like every match in this league will be. We’re not going to steamroller teams, we’re all at a similar level. I enjoy supporting my team regardless 

Today was not competitive or tight....we were completely out thought and outclassed by Rotherham! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

I expect it to be a competitive, tight game like every match in this league will be. We’re not going to steamroller teams, we’re all at a similar level. I enjoy supporting my team regardless 

It’s a bit like when people say ‘anybody can beat anybody in this league’. 

The truth is a bunch of teams will win way more than they lose, a couple will win most. A bunch of teams will lose more and a couple will lose most.

This line about it being close is trotted out and I don’t know why.

Every where year a group of teams have a lot more points than the rest. 

• Like 1

The team clearly needs rotating (deservedly so, the schedule is busy and the squad is thin). But who on earth can come in? Trying to maximise rotation, how about (5-3-2):

Bentley - Edwards, Moore, Mariappa, Kalas, Rowe - Massengo, Nagy, Brunt - Fam, Wells.

I don’t love it but it’s the best I can think of. 

4 minutes ago, 054123 said:

The truth is a bunch of teams will win way more than they lose, a couple will win most. A bunch of teams will lose more and a couple will lose most.

The gap between teams is there, but individual games perhaps not so much.

Fact Rotherham before today, had home GD - 1 despite home games vs Bournemouth, Brentford and Rotherham suggests there is some truth in it.

Unsure how many hammerings there are typically. Especially this season.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Robin Wood said:

Does anyone honestly expect Tuesday to be anything other than a truly awful game decided by 1 goal either way

If the players are as disappointed as the supporters with today's performance then I would expect a disire to win from the players on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

The team clearly needs rotating (deservedly so, the schedule is busy and the squad is thin). But who on earth can come in? Trying to maximise rotation, how about (5-3-2):

Bentley - Edwards, Moore, Mariappa, Kalas, Rowe - Massengo, Nagy, Brunt - Fam, Wells.

Hunt for Edwards aside, that it also what I would start with.

Semenyo looked totally knackered today, he has just started about 8 straight games. So did O’Dowda, who also badly needs a rest. I think Martin has been poor for 3 games running & he needs to have a break. Vyner has been one of our best players but struggled today & it would do him no harm to start a game on the line.

That midfield doesn’t look great & in an ideal world Nagy could also take a rest, but we have no one else fit & the other 2 have barely featured so don’t have the excuse of fatigue that others do.

14 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Think I'd rather see Zac Smith than Brunt in fairness

24 minutes ago, 054123 said:

The saying 'anybody can beat anybody' is true though - sometimes the team at the bottom can beat the team at the top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 054123 said:

So you disagree that it’s a very competitive league? Three of the bottom four are Sheff Wed, Derby and Notts Forest. Three bigger clubs than us, with similar/bigger wage bills, that we don’t have a given right to finish above. We are a similar level to most teams in this league so every game is going to be tight and we’re not going to be able to play brilliant football all the time and outplay teams 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

The saying 'anybody can beat anybody' is true though - sometimes the team at the bottom can beat the team at the top.

Very true. Did we not do the double against Huddersfield in their promotion year. 4 nil at AG I recall.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Bobbie said:

You didn't see today's results then? 

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The gap between teams is there, but individual games perhaps not so much.

Fact Rotherham before today, had home GD - 1 despite home games vs Bournemouth, Brentford and Rotherham suggests there is some truth in it.

Unsure how many hammerings there are typically. Especially this season.

I understand about ‘hammerings’ but ultimately teams are rubbish and consistently don’t pick up many points. Other teams are consistently good and pick up a lot of points.

If we were genuinely a good team we would of have been in the playoffs during the last 4 seasons.

I just don’t really see the ‘anyone can beat anyone’ argument. Theoretically yes, but in reality no. The bad teams regularly drop points and the very good teams regularly pick them up.

9 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

In theory.

But it’s not a reflection on the reality of a teams ability over a 46 game season.

53 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I understand about ‘hammerings’ but ultimately teams are rubbish and consistently don’t pick up many points. Other teams are consistently good and pick up a lot of points.

If we were genuinely a good team we would of have been in the playoffs during the last 4 seasons.

I just don’t really see the ‘anyone can beat anyone’ argument. Theoretically yes, but in reality no. The bad teams regularly drop points and the very good teams regularly pick them up.

I think 2017/18 was the one tbh. Our position not only on Boxing Day but an hour in vs Wolves at the end of the year.

To blow playoffs from there was very disappointing.

Could make a case for 2018/19 too but I'd go with 2017/18 moreso, not least due to ridiculous collapses (Hull and Sunderland at home) but also selected games where we lost narrowly and perhaps unnecessarily by the odd goal when draws would have kept momentum ticking over, platforms to build on etc.

Mind you in 2018/19, Aston Villa away- Weimann's offside that possibly never was and thir penalty in which they handballed during the 'foul'! Both same game!?

Semenyo red card vs Derby, again a red card that never was.

Won't even go into too much detail about Weimann's multiple disallowed wrong goals that year for incorrect offside calls...but one was at Derby!

Tettey and his many final warnings vs League leaders Norwich at home? Another in which we maybe didn't get the rub of the green.

That was also the season of the woodwork, few of them go in do we perhaps edge into top 6 by May?

Might also add if not for regular and persistent rolling injuries might we indeed have made the playoffs at least once? This is the 4th season in succession for us! Bad luck or what.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Millwall on Tuesday night

Must own up to having something of an affinity with Millwall after a few great days out at the New Den. Always find the fans friendly and up for a good bit of banter. That said I hope we stuff them on Tuesday as I have a bet on with a Millwall supporting mate.

My team assuming fitness:

Bentley

Mariappa | Kalas | Moore

Hunt | Nagy | Bakinson | Rowe

Paterson

Wells | Diedhiou

If Pato not fit then Massengo, and a more conventional MF3.  I think he deserves a start.

Vyner can provide RWB or CB cover

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Nah late penalty by Lee Matthews I think.

2001, his debut.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My team assuming fitness:

Bentley

Mariappa | Kalas | Moore

Hunt | Nagy | Bakinson | Rowe

Paterson

Wells | Diedhiou

If Pato not fit then Massengo, and a more conventional MF3.  I think he deserves a start.

Vyner can provide RWB or CB cover

I like that team, and I'm a fan of Massengo .  I don't think Paterson will be fit, but wouldn't be surprised if he reappeared like a Magicians assistant. I would try Mariappa at LCB just to see if his experience would make him a better option than TM who has struggled at times. 

3 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

You can pretty much guarantee it'll be a game low on quality and goals

Sounds like a review of our last 8 games ?

• Like 1

I guess this is it.

After our abysmal display against Rotherham, you would think that the gaffer would ring the changes.  However with half the squad decimated by injuries, there seems to be little chance of that.

What he must do is change the formation as it's clear that 433 is leaving us short on numbers in the middle of the park. Whilst 442 is possible, since we don't have any true wingers, I would be inclined to go 532/352.

City to bounce back tonight with a win.

Mods - please can you change the title to "Matchday Thread". Ta.

Edited by wendyredredrobin

6 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I guess this is it.

After our abysmal display against Rotherham, you would think that the gaffer would ring the changes.  However with half the squad decimated by injuries, there seems to be little chance of that.

What he must do is change the formation as it's clear that 433 is leaving us short on numbers in the middle of the park. Whilst 442 is possible, since we don't have any true wingers, I would be inclined to go 532/352.

City to bounce back tonight with a win.

Mods - please can you change the title to "Matchday Thread". Ta.

The excitement is palpable! 

I've never done a match day thread as I've so enjoyed reading the others. It's like opening an Advent calendar. However, it does appear that there's an injury crisis with the usual suspects.

Which brings me on to the crazy crazy injury problems we face. It's over half what would probably be our first team and it's been going on for some time. The fact that we are so very much in touch with the top six  in mid December goes to show that BCFC are doing something right and Dean Holden has, so far, deserved his pay rise.

I don't know too much about Millwall other than they have a striker who used to play for us on loan and who I really rated awfully highly. Take a knee.

My two Millwall memories are Coppout in his first game as Manager v newly promoted Millwall at home with new unbeatable James in goal. We got tonked. The second is having a pint in the old Try Again and we were invaded by Millwall fans who rushed in punched a couple of random drinkers and ran out again. It happened in slow motion.

Come on you Reds- we can do this and let's be positive despite our set backs.

CTID

• Like 1