IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

6 minutes ago, grifty said:

I bet you are as hard as a rock right now ?

That last post was my climax. Been gagging to say it for ages. Now the time has come and I can let go for a little while. 

On a serious note, I genuinely don’t hate Lee Johnson, I just think he’s a real cringeworthy character and a bit of a ****.  No actual malice there!

asterisked word rhymes with ‘that’. 

Edited by Fordy62

Not a massive fan of LJ, and I thought he was a strange appointment for us, and he got overthinking paralysis after getting drunk on a ego-heavy Cup run…..

However, who in Gods name do Sunderland think they are?! They are embarrassing from top to bottom, and their fans are vitriolic, deluded and completely unsavoury.

This is a bit harsh I think but ultimately an amusing soap opera about our ex-manager and a bonkers club.

• Like 4

Sunderland was always a gamble for him...going to a club that actually expected to win promotion, something LJ has never achieved as a manager at any level in well over 400 matches and never looked like achieving with us for all the 'clubs in the bag' he was handed. Be interesting to see what he does next. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fordy62 said:

A Mate has just text to tell me that apparently the decision to leave was mutual and LJ is off to join Pep at Man City. 

He wants Rugby lines on The Etihad's pitch I expect, Johnson can advise with his full USP

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

Sunderland was always a gamble for him...going to a club that actually expected to win promotion, something LJ has never achieved as a manager at any level in well over 400 matches and never looked like achieving with us for all the 'clubs in the bag' he was handed. Be interesting to see what he does next. 

What he does next is a genuinely interesting question… I think it’ll probably be league one again. 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Someone is winding you up!

Oh Dave. Hang your head!

• Haha 1

Shame that it's not worked out for LJ at Sunderland. Seems a bit of a knee jerk decision given that they're 3rd in the league.

I find the malice and vitriol towards him from some of our fans rather peculiar. Of course he has flaws (as all managers do), but I have no doubt that he gave his all during his time here and always had the best interest of the club at heart. (The same can't be said for Ashton, however, who I think is much more deserving of disrespect). 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fordy62 said:

What he does next is a genuinely interesting question… I think it’ll probably be league one again. 

I wonder what the record is for number of games managed without ever gaining a promotion? He's currently on 449. I know he liked to set records.

I'd have said LJ was a perfect fit for a club with lots of resources and limited expectations.

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I agree. I think it was a bold move and was surprised he went for it. He's done his profile some real damage though I think - fired from mid table championship, fired from really big budget/club in L1.

Not sure where he goes next, he needs to win something when he does though.

Just now, Red Exile said:

I wonder what the record is for number of games managed without ever gaining a promotion? He's currently on 449. I know he liked to set records.

I'd have said LJ was a perfect fit for a club with lots of resources and limited expectations.

Wasn't that us? ;)

7 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Not a massive fan of LJ, and I thought he was a strange appointment for us, and he got overthinking paralysis after getting drunk on a ego-heavy Cup run…..

However, who in Gods name do Sunderland think they are?! They are embarrassing from top to bottom, and their fans are vitriolic, deluded and completely unsavoury.

This is a bit harsh I think but ultimately an amusing soap opera about our ex-manager and a bonkers club.

still a true sleeping giant though.......

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Thing is, that could actually happen ?

If at any point in his career Lee Johnson works under Pep, give me a shout and I’ll have 10 bottles of Weston’s Vintage send over to you. 

The only place that’ll happen is in LJ’s mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I feel sorry for him. Don’t know the ins and outs of it all of course, and their loss yesterday was terrible but I thought he’d get them up this year - they were still in a really good position.

This is the closest they’ve got to a return to the championship in years, not sure what else they expect.

Hope they **** it right up now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I truly don't get this thing about mocking players and managers who delivered better times for us than we have now.

Flint, Pack, Reid, Bryan, Johnson. And so on.

They absolutely don't hate us, they don't deny the good times we had.... what pleasure is there in ridiculing them now?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Listening to Sunderland fans on Twitter spaces - saying inconsistency is what has killed him. Battered by the teams around them too often, no consistency from game to game, sometimes even half from half, using players in the wrong positions. All sounds familiar to his time here tbh. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I never approved of our appointment of LJ. He was ill prepared at the beginning and only got worse with his confused mind. Made worse by having Ashton as his sidekick. I never cared that he played for us and never used to worry that his dad managed him. I just thought it was a terrible appointment and the football played for the majority of time was awful as he was making it up. I am not wanting to argue the issue, just to say I am far from his fan.

However. I have not followed Sunderland until today. Now I know he has the biggest budget (ever) in L1 and 5000 fans went to Bolton yesterday . But if I look at the table, they are 3rd 2 points off of the top. I can see others have games in hand, but the return of 5 points out of the last 15, and that terrible loss has clearly sent the board over the top. But, wow, that is his team, and even if they do not do automatic , play offs are certain. I just looked at their forum, and no shock, the same issues LJ rear their head again. He has not evolved with age or recognised his weaknesses. However, he has also managed to get Sunderland close, and he does have his coaching ideas and strategy, that has them that very close. They are in play and it is far from a lost cause. On the surface seems a little crazy.  You can only think he has not convinced them he knows what to do to keep them up there after such a battering. No idea.

For all of his lack of ability, LJ is very honest and a dedicated hard working person. He certainly does not steal a living. He is just not very good. 

Who has actually said he has the biggest ever budget in l1? Is it really bigger than when they had Rodwell there on 75k a week? 

Yes it was a bad defeat, but they are third FFS! 

Seems a mental decision but I guess they think they need a final push? 

If the new person gets them up does LJ get some of the credit? 

Either way his CV will still read reasonably well despite not having gained a promotion or trophy. 

22 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Ipswich Town?

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, One Team said:

Ipswich Town?

Had occurred to me! But Ashton's only just appointed a new chap to that role.

I'm not sure why LJ wants to be a manager. He appears to have a decent reputation as a coach but has zero track record of actually leading sides to league success, at any level. 

• Like 1

Their forum is quite a read. 

Lots of “enough was enough” type comments. 

Enough of what? One point off promotion, two points off the title? 

If they were outside the play offs or way off automatic and they had that defeat they perhaps I’d see the point. 

I’m not much of a LJ fan but it seems very harsh. 

• Like 1

What odds Paul Cook takes it on and gets them over the line?

LJ should never have got the job here and should’ve been given the boot much earlier than he was IMO. I’m not surprised to see him fail at Sunderland, even if the term fail is nuanced and it’s harsh given their position. 

His stock is only going one way, unless Ashton offers him a way out at Ipswich in the future. Always thought he’d make an excellent assistant, if his ego let him. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 6