IGNORED

Derby County

havanatopia

No news on Derby as such but saw this on another forum and did a quick followup search...

From the same account, see...

Oh, how they all laughed...

Putting any gloating from our end to one side I still don't understand the fan reaction to this day- it was as if a collective mania had overcome many, in respect of this issue at least. Other clubs cheer somewhat when spending big and seemingly swerving FFP but nowhere else have I seen the number and style of it and for so long!

Ooh- another one!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I have been told today that there will be no money left on Monday 9 May at the latest, and there are no other sources.  So DCFC will complete the last game of the season, but without a new owner by Sunday 8 May the club will fold.

I was also told that there isn't an offer on the table that meets the amount needed to pay off the MSD loans (both in Administration and before), so there is no money for any other creditors as things stand.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Hxj said:

I have been told today that there will be no money left on Monday 9 May at the latest, and there are no other sources.  So DCFC will complete the last game of the season, but without a new owner by Sunday 8 May the club will fold.

I was also told that there isn't an offer on the table that meets the amount needed to pay off the MSD loans (both in Administration and before), so there is no money for any other creditors as things stand.

Interesting. Were you told why Monday 9 May is the £0 day?

Nixon on Twitter was saying that none of the bids submitted last week were sufficient.

8 minutes ago, Hxj said:

WTAF!!!

So if no money on 9th May, even things like end of contract bonuses and month’s wages in July for those who are OOC can’t be paid.

Might we see some players refuse to play?

Really shitty.

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Interesting. Were you told why Monday 9 May is the £0 day?

Funding had to be agreed to complete the football season, that ends for Derby on Saturday 7 May.  The funding does exactly what it says on the tin.  There are no significant funds available after that date until the season starts again in August.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So if no money on 9th May, even things like end of contract bonuses and month’s wages in July for those who are OOC can’t be paid.

Or staff wages in May onwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Season ticket sales and EFL Central awards? Would these not constitute some level of off season income.

That's quite a potential bombshell. Wonder how MSD would act...they had cross security over everything IIRC.

Otoh wouldn't Derby be just allowed to restart in League Two if the worst happened?

Precedent is that they won’t be in the EFL…one of the northern leagues like Macclesfield I guess.  Who amongst the other 71 would vote to keep Derby? Any of them???

21 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Funding had to be agreed to complete the football season, that ends for Derby on Saturday 7 May.  The funding does exactly what it says on the tin.  There are no significant funds available after that date until the season starts again in August.

Or staff wages in May onwards.

shocking.

I suggest Morris and Quantuma get out of the country quickly.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Season ticket sales and EFL Central awards?

Season ticket receipts whilst cash are actually for the next season.  Normally it would be cashflow, but Administrators are in a trickier position.  Central funds will only be released where it is clear that there is not a requirement to meet football creditors.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Otoh wouldn't Derby be just allowed to restart in League Two if the worst happened?

My understanding is that 90% of EFL clubs would have to agree, I reckon that only 7 need to vote against, as Derby don't get a vote as they are not a member.  There is one guaranteed vote against, the club that would otherwise not be relegated.  Not sure I would bet on less than six clubs saying no.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hxj said:

Season ticket receipts whilst cash are actually for the next season.  Normally it would be cashflow, but Administrators are in a trickier position.  Central funds will only be released where it is clear that there is not a requirement to meet football creditors.

My understanding is that 90% of EFL clubs would have to agree, I reckon that only 7 need to vote against, as Derby don't get a vote as they are not a member.  There is one guaranteed vote against, the club that would otherwise not be relegated.  Not sure I would bet on less than six clubs saying no.

Thanks, that clears a couple of things up.

As a club and fanbase they've done precious little to cultivate goodwill among EFL clubs or the hierarchy- even while in administration!!

Which also feeds into Dave's point about who would vote for them. Without a doubt they have pissed anyone and everyone off in an EFL context with little contrition either.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Season ticket sales and EFL Central awards? Would these not constitute some level of off season income.

Are they likely to have issues selling season tickets? Swindon aren't able to sell season tickets by card as their facility has been withdrawn due to their rather rickety finances before their takeover (https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/20023431.winding-petition-affects-swindon-town-fcs-ability-take-card-payments-season-tickets/).

Feels like no card company would want to be going near Derby season tickets whilst there remains any doubt about their future ownership and survival.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hxj said:

Oh Dear Me!

You have made it on to the DCFC forum with this one. 

The usual shit, can't count and Popodopolus is a this and that.....And yet. At every stage this forum has predicted what was coming (probably why some check it out so often). For the benefit of some Derby fans checking this out, the reason is because not everyone is an idiot. This forum does have some well educated well positioned people a thing that I console myself with when the nutters are ranting. Unfortunately The DCFC forum does seem to have no lack of headers and a distinct lack of thought. I guess when you are this close to the precipice reason goes out of the window!  

• Like 2

Questions for the class.

Do we know how much the Administrators have taken out of the Club, while seemingly not doing much of a job ?

OOC players, actually , any players. If there is no guarantee of a Club & so job for next season , would non payment of wages be breech of contract ? Would this allow players to walk away with their registration? 
Last one.
When is the cut off for next season ? I imagine there is a date by which Clubs have to prove finances are in place for the coming season.

Thanks

58 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Are they likely to have issues selling season tickets? Swindon aren't able to sell season tickets by card as their facility has been withdrawn due to their rather rickety finances before their takeover (https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/20023431.winding-petition-affects-swindon-town-fcs-ability-take-card-payments-season-tickets/).

Feels like no card company would want to be going near Derby season tickets whilst there remains any doubt about their future ownership and survival.

Interestingly, last season Derby didn't put them on sale initially, not until 18th August 2021.

Within about a month they were in administration- a quick search suggested that the first game covered was Stoke at Home, September 18th 2021? Unsure what their ST, carry forward etc arrangements were during the Covid season.

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Do we know how much the Administrators have taken out of the Club

The original fee was £3 million I believe in Administrator’s fees and other professional charges.

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

would non payment of wages be breech of contract ? Would this allow players to walk away with their registration? 

Yes - once due notice is given - plus a suspended three point penalty for Derby and a further sanction.

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

When is the cut off for next season ? I imagine there is a date by which Clubs have to prove finances are in place for the coming season.

Technically 31 March …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Quick one to Woodley Ram over there too.

You mention us and FFP.

1) IF we breach, we risk a deduction and Embargo. To next season I anticipate the issue if it arises, if we breach we'll get the appropriate sanctions- no illusions here.

2) You reference issues in respect of wanting to include hypothetical transfer revenue. Won't fly, nor should it as I've stated ever since the idea first came out. Probably a player sale and wage restraint to keep us at or below £39m.

3) All clubs will benefit from Covid allowances, including Derby- that extra £2.5m loss is a further £2.5m headroom for the period to 2024.

The £5m x 2? Impossible to say while DCFC accounts not in the public domain, and FWIW Stephen Pearce said Covid losses were around £20m so to set an allowance of £10m for all clubs across 2019/20 and 2020/21...presumably Derby put that £20m into their FFP returns?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Didn’t take long - I wonder how many lurk?  It would help if they had actually read what I wrote!  Plus don’t tell them that I live closer to Pride Park than most Derby fans do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Well Mike Ashley knows a distressed sale. Just keep hanging in there . The issues are the same as they were day 1 . The club is worthless without a ground and 30 m HMRC debt . It has no value . Morris needs to hand over the ground , settle the MSD debt himself  , then just maybe someone would cover the HMRC debts . The issues remains solely Morris . Maybe he no longer has the money , but he has to pay his debts if Derby are to survive . Talk of 50 m is hilarious . 

I said early on that someone will let the club fold before picking up the pieces at rock bottom and build them up again . 

of course there will also be a lot of brinkmanship going on by any potentially genuine new owner . They hold all the cards 

It’s been my view too.  It will take a club the size of Derby to go bust and out if the EFL to 1) make (some) clubs think twice in future and 2) give the EFL a bit more strength to play hard-ball.

27 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

They still don't get it do they. It is not about FFP, if we fail, we pay the price. Like others. No one here under any illusions about that. 

The difference with Derby and. Morris is that he forgot to pay.  

If he had paid his bills and  Derby had not gone into Admin they would stay up this year. That is not  a punishment for overspending , but for not having the money he spent to back up his gamble. To the tune of £50m . Morris gambled the whole club and all of its history and it looks ever more like he will be the architect of its ultimate failure. There is only one place to look . 

Yep, it’s not a debt to Morris, like the debt City have to SL….he hasn’t effing paid the bills (to HMRC, Arsenal, St Johns Ambulance - FFS).  That was calculated.  The fact is he miscalculated, thinking someone would buy Derby.  Maybe they would’ve, but there was no ground, a 21 point deduction.  He’d have been better paying the bills, not going into Admin and selling at a cut price to get out.

He didn’t.

When the remaining Derby fans FINALLY realise what he’s done, boy is he gonna have to watch his back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Oh Dear Me!

The usual shit, can't count and Popodopolus is a this and that.....And yet. At every stage this forum has predicted what was coming (probably why some check it out so often). For the benefit of some Derby fans checking this out, the reason is because not everyone is an idiot. This forum does have some well educated well positioned people a thing that I console myself with when the nutters are ranting. Unfortunately The DCFC forum does seem to have no lack of headers and a distinct lack of thought. I guess when you are this close to the precipice reason goes out of the window!  

Never really sure why it is deemed 'weird' to be interested in the case of a club that is in our division, is subject to the same rules as us, and which is currently going through the kind of financial uncertainty that I hope our club never goes through (again). If nothing else it is a case study in club mismanagement that every football fan should be interested in to some extent.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

They still don't get it do they. It is not about FFP, if we fail, we pay the price. Like others. No one here under any illusions about that. 

The difference with Derby and. Morris is that he forgot to pay.  

If he had paid his bills and  Derby had not gone into Admin they would stay up this year. That is not  a punishment for overspending , but for not having the money he spent to back up his gamble. To the tune of £50m . Morris gambled the whole club and all of its history and it looks ever more like he will be the architect of its ultimate failure. There is only one place to look . 

Indeed.

Mel pays his bills or at least agrees a feasible and mutually acceptable schedule to do so, no administration, no points deduction for that side and they might stay up. The FFP punishment still probably materialises, but the administration and the subsequent effects, well it's on him really.

Woodley Ram seems a decent poster tbh but had to put the other side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hxj said:

Didn’t take long - I wonder how many lurk?  It would help if they had actually read what I wrote!  Plus don’t tell them that I live closer to Pride Park than most Derby fans do.

To be fair, some of their comments are quite amusing.

I particularly liked the disparaging comments about your (and Mr. Pops’) maths ability - the poster was assuming you are a West Country boy.

’One hay bale plus one hay bale seems beyond them’.

I found that quite funny ?.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

58 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Chucking morality out of the window for a moment, what do we rate the suggestion of Mel Morris returning in some guise as owner or similar of Derby as? Seen bits online.

As in, what chance is there of anything being in it?

About as much chance of Dan Bentley scoring a hattrick. I think we discussed this a few weeks back and it's clear there are legal, political, optical, and financial issues that would need to be sorted, and they won't be. 

7 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

About as much chance of Dan Bentley scoring a hattrick. I think we discussed this a few weeks back and it's clear there are legal, political, optical, and financial issues that would need to be sorted, and they won't be. 

Besides he spent two years trying to sell it, and nobody apart from a fake sheikh was remotely interested for some reason 

17 hours ago, Hxj said:

Quantuma claimed they will present details of the preferred bidder to the EFL this week.

I find it hard to see how there can be a preferred bidder if none of them meet the minimum requirement in terms of satisfying the creditors.

Quantuma tell us they are acting in good faith and of course I believe them* so what am I missing?

*not necessarily true.

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I find it hard to see how there can be a preferred bidder if none of them meet the minimum requirement in terms of satisfying the creditors.

Depends upon their definition of 'Preferred', and how desperate things are.  I am sure that there is brinkmanship on all sides, and Quantuma may pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat,

But if it is correct the 9 May is a very hard deadline, they have six weeks to go, that's it.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Quantuma claimed they will present details of the preferred bidder to the EFL this week.

Quantuma tell us they are acting in good faith and of course I believe them* so what am I missing?

*not necessarily true.

Surely if a bidder materialises they may well avoid the worst but start next season on - 15?

Of course attempts to impose a haircut on football creditors would constitute a significant problem, if Mel Morris steps up and pays a chunk then that reduces the size of the bid needed to pay the rest making - 15 less likely? Probably.

Still struggle to see why HMRC should take a haircut given rising inflation, every penny counting post Covid etc. Restructure with the appropriate interest rate different issue.

54 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Depends upon their definition of 'Preferred', and how desperate things are.  I am sure that there is brinkmanship on all sides, and Quantuma may pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat,

But if it is correct the 9 May is a very hard deadline, they have six weeks to go, that's it.

How many "very hard deadlines" have they had?

4 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Latest from my Derby friend - and take this with a pinch of salt - there is a rumour amongst the Derby fans that one of the undisclosed potential bidders is Mel Morris ?

Apparently someone called Morris Mel is interested ?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Surely if a bidder materialises they may well avoid the worst but start next season on - 15?

Of course attempts to impose a haircut on football creditors would constitute a significant problem, if Mel Morris steps up and pays a chunk then that reduces the size of the bid needed to pay the rest making - 15 less likely? Probably.

Still struggle to see why HMRC should take a haircut given rising inflation, every penny counting post Covid etc. Restructure with the appropriate interest rate different issue.

Don’t think HMRC will be playing ball in anyway, nor should they.

It opens the door to so many businesses to follow the same route and simply not pay their taxes.

HMRC have been on football’s case for many years and they will not be conceding any ground on this in my opinion.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Don’t think HMRC will be playing ball in anyway, nor should they.

It opens the door to so many businesses to follow the same route and simply not pay their taxes.

HMRC have been on football’s case for many years and they will not be conceding any ground on this in my opinion.

Got a horrible feeling this might be when they change and agree to some sort of deal.

Lot of political pressure on this and looking ahead there could well be a number of other clubs heading down this same route.

They could come up with some sort of COVID rule and badge it as a one off, possibly ?

10 minutes ago, Midred said:

I think the efl have dug such a hole for themselves with Derby that any future cases will prove as difficult to resolve. Why would any other club in difficulties just roll over?

Surely the hope is that the EFL come down so hard on WRDCFC that no one would try & emulate their demise? 

• Like 5

This is from the Derby forum, and is pretty well done in my opinion.

Let's again try to summarise our position only this time using visual metaphors . The first one depicts where we are right now.

Imagine all the 'good guys' are pulling on the lead and that the dog represents all of the current potential buyers...

giphy.gif

For clarity, here's the same metaphor would look like if the buyers could actually

see some value in the deal and were keen to buy at the prices being quoted...

giphy.gif

And to fix this problem, here's the erstwhile admins trying to persuade Morris (the dog in this case)

to drop the stadium cost and make all these problems go away forever...

giphy.gif

Meanwhile, here's what we're all doing....

giphy.gif

Hope this helps! x

•  
  • Haha 8
  • Flames 1

Will reiterate a position though which is opinion and nothing else, not ITK- nothing.

Derby won't be liquidated- we hear all the time, clubs will go bust and so forth- but well even Bury didn't go bust. It is vanishingly rare- they may get a -15 and business plan if criteria are not met but it is really rare for clubs in this country, ie of the 92 to actually go bust. Macclesfield in modern times were a massive exception and technically were relegated when they did- was it the slide to relegation with the points deductions and suspended deductions activated that was the final nail?

32 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

How did Derby get to a £25m HMRC debt ?

By a blatant disregard for paying bills due.  That doesn’t happen because of cashflow issues, that happens because the owner made a conscious decision that he wanted something to pick up the tab.  What a tosser.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

But why did HMRC not issue a winding up petition? They did at Bolton for 1.5 m . They let it get out of control which is unlike them 

Morris must have told them that settlement of the tax bill was imminent!

• Flames 1

The winding up petition bit...is this another piece of the jigsaw?

Seemingly they did albeit the debt would have been undoubtedly lower at this juncture issue one on Jan 10th 2020...and it was withdrawn on Jan 16th 2020.

The other odd aspect is that if you google winding up petitions football clubs- they're not uncommon and usually get moved on, settled, kicked down the road, they don't actually tend to result in a club getting wound up at least not one of the 92 but they are newsworthy- I'd suggest the bigger the club the bigger the story.

Yet this was found out or reported on only once administration had occurred, some 20 months on.

Apologies cannot link it right now but there is something on Twitter confirming the fact yet total radio silence for 19-20 months by any and every media outlet.

Perhaps they only get reported on when it goes to court or causes administration, I don't know enough to say- perhaps the mere act of winding up but withdrawing keeps it out of the public domain? :dunno:

Good thread below anyway- it's included within there somewhere.

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I see that Mel's £80M stadium is now being offered at a cut down price of £22M.

Bargain, or does anybody think it might perhaps have been slightly overvalued ??

I think you are using 'slightly' in the same way that 'imminent' is used in connection with DCFC!

• Flames 2

There is an awkward question to answer- and the EFL need to be right on the case here.

Such a deal can be engineered whereby the MSD loan is paid in return for the stadium returning but here is the problem...

1. Valuer whose word was stated for Derby and indeed a key reason they won that aspect, stated a Fair Rent of £4.16m per year. This would count against FFP. Might add, that Aston Villa, Birmingham, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday are all in the 4-5% of yield per annum so that rent is consistent.
  2. Derby have claimed rent of £1.1m per year based on some formula of days usage but that might have been because the subsidiaries also pay rent- Club DCFC, Stadia DCFC, perhaps even but perhaps not DCFC Academy- this should appear in the consolidated not the club if indeed it appears (they've neglected to release any accounts for 3 years for any of these).  Unclear if it's club or consolidator.
  3. You cannot just because of a change of ownership reconsolidate it just like that. As such the stadium company and the club FFP group- @Hxj covered this some months ago need to be firewalled. New stadium company or Gellaw Newco 202 to the new owner maybe? If you reconsolidate it that is cake and eat it massively...there needs to be some kind of rent even if it's only on paper or covered by loans to justify the original transaction. If reconsolidated that rent could cancel itself out so something has to be done moving forward- perhaps the EFL push back on any plans to reconsolidate the stadium and club companies?
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Loving their forum, apparently it is not EFL, Couhig, Gibson, Quantuma, Mel Morris and Uncle Tom Cobblies fault anymore......its OTIB. 

No - it’s all Mr Popodopolous’s fault!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Loving their forum, apparently it is not EFL, Couhig, Gibson, Quantuma, Mel Morris and Uncle Tom Cobblies fault anymore......its OTIB. 

You mean they have sussed that we are the secret masterminds behind the global conspiracy against plucky Derby County and that Morris was just our front man?

Don't mention that Quantuma are actually working to our orders. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.?

Edited by chinapig
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

perhaps the EFL push back on any plans to reconsolidate the stadium and club companies?

The agreed decision with Derby contains the following order:

"vii)  Make no changes to reporting entities for P&S purposes or accounting treatments without full prior disclosure and written agreement from the EFL."

I think that that helps significantly,

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hxj said:

The agreed decision with Derby contains the following order:

"vii)  Make no changes to reporting entities for P&S purposes or accounting treatments without full prior disclosure and written agreement from the EFL."

I think that that helps significantly,

Perhaps prior disclosure and written consent is imminent. :)

11 minutes ago, SBB said:

As usual they discount this story and claim Percy knows nothing and/or is making it up.  They don't seem to understand that journalists have sources, they just don't go around telling the world who those sources are.

They do the same with the likes of Matt Slater and Kieran Maguire.

Still, Morris may yet come to the rescue and regain hero status perhaps. Which would be a case of "ok, I burned your house down but look, here's a caravan to live in".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

No - it’s all Mr Popodopolous’s fault!

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

You mean they have sussed that we are the secret masterminds behind the global conspiracy against plucky Derby County and that Morris was just our front man?

Don't mention that Quantuma are actually working to our orders. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.?

@Mr Popodopolous in his secret lair 

Bond Villians, Donald Pleasence, You Only Live Twice

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, SBB said:

What I don’t get about this, is the tweet perpetuates the idea that the EFL are responsible and need to sort things out. If WRDCFC had stuck to the financial rules put in place by the EFL then it is unlikely they would have got into such a deep financial mess that they end up on the brink of extinction. Their old owner needs to be held accountable. Nobody else in my view.

Edited by GreedyHarry
  • Like 6