IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

• Admin

I agree. To me it looks like lets get this bloke in for a game, treat him like royalty and ask him to put our name about as available.

Like their advertising in the Dubai news a few weeks back

They must seriously believe the hype around their standing in the world of football

I remembered a good while ago, that Steve Lansdown stated, that if someone with the money wanted to come in and invest into bristol city,he would look at it, and if too good to be true, he would step aside. But the fact of it is, there would be a lot of vultures who would want to asset strip the club.

I haven't read the article to be fair, hate the Evil post pop up ridden site, but I get the gist of it from what's been said. My first thoughts is that Higgs wants to distance himself, he's losing too much money and just as importantly doesn't want his name involved in what could be a huge, messy court case outcome. Business suicide for him.

So if they don't want to asset strip,( what assets?) could it perhaps be another way of some smaller club ( does this American have any links) trying to get league status, ala MK Dons?

I remembered a good while ago, that Steve Lansdown stated, that if someone with the money wanted to come in and invest into bristol city,he would look at it, and if too good to be true, he would step aside. But the fact of it is, there would be a lot of vultures who would want to asset strip the club.

Asset strip what? a new stadium? There is no viability in selling to a supermarket chain anymore; that market has gone.

As Samuelson says there is only money when u r in or close to getting in the Prem unless you can pick up a club on the cheap with potential like Pompey, Luton, etc who have been there before and the Gas have latent potential it is just that their elastic band is a bit de-vulcanized with loads of potential lethal cracks in it.. buyer beware so to speak.

• Like 2

Asset strip what? a new stadium? There is no viability in selling to a supermarket chain anymore; that market has gone.

As Samuelson says there is only money when u r in or close to getting in the Prem unless you can pick up a club on the cheap with potential like Pompey, Luton, etc who have been there before and the Gas have latent potential it is just that their elastic band is a bit de-vulcanized with loads of potential lethal cracks in it.. buyer beware so to speak.

Reading those thick bastards forum they are going on and on that this is definitely happening with that clown henbury saying icon venture are involved (that's the same henbury who says kid is wrong and that his info is correct despite everything he has said not coming true)

They also fail to mention that these invested have looked at at least 10 clubs so far

They are so deluded it hurts

Reading those thick bastards forum they are going on and on that this is definitely happening with that clown henbury saying icon venture are involved (that's the same henbury who says kid is wrong and that his info is correct despite everything he has said not coming true)

They also fail to mention that these invested have looked at at least 10 clubs so far

Therein lies the problem with that club. Until the fans actually start to take some pride, demand better, demand more and hold to account those in higher positions they will continue to be treated with disregard and the club will continue to struggle. They are far too apathetic, far too forgiving and far too caught up in what could be rather than asking how it could be.

All I ever see about them is what potential they claim to have, rather than how they plan to achieve their potential. They fumble from one mess to another and the fans are always behind them saying 'look how good we are in adversity and just wait, 10 years time we'll be in the Prem'. Thankfully they won't because their fans actually hold them back.

At least with us under Lansdown we've always had a strategy. Initially it was Wilson, stability and a great brand of football. We had attempts at succession which didn't work. Then GJ coming in to sort out the mess, then the strategy clearly was open the chequebook and make a real push for promotion, then the strategy was lick the wounds and rebuild, come up with the right infrastructure to sustain a push.

Yes the strategy may have failed at points, but there was always a clue and always a plan. We just needed to get the right one in place rather than trying to run before we can walk. Rovers just want to run before they can walk and they have no plan, no strategy and just try to stumble upon success.

Best fans in the world? My arse. Under their watch look at what they have become and they just stood by and watched. Except when that guy nutted a horse, but even then 9,000 turned up 8 weeks later cheering the club in the Conference....

Edited by Guest

Best fans in the world? My arse. Under their watch look at what they have become and they just stood by and watched. Except when that guy nutted a horse, but even then 9,000 turned up 8 weeks later cheering the club in the Conference....

You are right AR, they seem to think that sticking by the club without a murmur of disapproval throughout the swindling and underhand tricks that have been perpetrated by various boards and chairmen makes them great fans. Great fans would have been sitting on the pitch years ago demanding something better for their loyalty.

Producing a DVD of your escape from non-league football and describing as a high point for the club is laughable and the fact that there are many of them that can't see the irony of this shows that some of their heads so deeply buried in the sand (probably in the centre circle of the mem) that they can see investment coming to them via Australia!

You are right AR, they seem to think that sticking by the club without a murmur of disapproval throughout the swindling and underhand tricks that have been perpetrated by various boards and chairmen makes them great fans. Great fans would have been sitting on the pitch years ago demanding something better for their loyalty.

Producing a DVD of your escape from non-league football and describing as a high point for the club is laughable and the fact that there are many of them that can't see the irony of this shows that some of their heads so deeply buried in the sand (probably in the centre circle of the mem) that they can see investment coming to them via Australia!

Which as much as I dislike Blackpool I admire them as they are trying to do something about their mid-management

Which as much as I dislike Blackpool I admire them as they are trying to do something about their mid-management

Thankfully you could tell every one of them to their face but the significant majority either can't appreciate it or fail to appreciate it.

So long as they carry on believing they are the best fans they will be a huge hindrance. Long may it continue.

Thankfully you could tell every one of them to their face but the significant majority either can't appreciate it or fail to appreciate it.

So long as they carry on believing they are the best fans they will be a huge hindrance. Long may it continue.

Loyalty can be admired blind loyalty can't

Their problem is they rather focus on us and our failings instead of addressing theirs we try and do both,

When we struggle we let our feelings known when they struggle you get idiots like that henbury fella going on about a hidden agenda instead of facing problems

Took a quick glance on their forum, words honestly fail me ,deluded don't do it justice.

There is one poster on there claims that no one would invest in BCFC because we play in red and white and are nick name is the Robins and yet he states that because Rovers play in quarters and are called the Pirates they have a unique selling point that investors would love.

I'm lost for words

Edited by bs3
  • Like 1

Took a quick glance on their forum, words honestly fail me ,deluded don't do it justice.

There is one poster on there claims that no one would invest in BCFC because we play in red and white and are nick name is the Robins and yet he states that because Rovers play in quarters and are called the Pirates they have a unique selling point that investors would love.

I'm lost for words

Wow - really?

I'm lost for words

I saw that too, brilliant!

Good lord, they're going to take over america next  :facepalm:

Say an American invester/consortium took us over, surely one other sport would be American Football, it's a growing sport over here, albeit very slow, but if we got some sort of partnership with an American team, we could do pre-season over there, rather than playing some of the dross here, getting our name about, especially the Pirate aspect, with Football (real football) taking over in the US, we could get quite a fan base with our unique kit etc

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/3537/hope-higgs-talks-american-investors#ixzz3eY5kowvD

Say an American invester/consortium took us over, surely one other sport would be American Football, it's a growing sport over here, albeit very slow, but if we got some sort of partnership with an American team, we could do pre-season over there, rather than playing some of the dross here, getting our name about, especially the Pirate aspect, with Football (real football) taking over in the US, we could get quite a fan base with our unique kit etc

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/3537/hope-higgs-talks-american-investors#ixzz3eY5kowvD

Delusions of grandeur and totally pig ignorant as to how the business world works.

Pirate aspect and unique kit? FFS.

• Admin

That HAS to be someone taking the piss surely?

Please god, I literally nearly pissed myself laughing at that cracker!!!

I wonder how many sporting teams in America are already called the 'Pirates' - I bet there's hundreds of them

Among the thousands of sports teams in America, I wonder how many have quartered shirts - I bet there's hundreds of them

I wonder how many other deluded people have gone to America with the notion of (using SAF's expression here) 'knocking the NFL off it's ******* perch' - I bet there's hundreds of them

But little Bristol R*vers, who have only just climbed out of non league football are the sporting organization that are going to change all of this

I suspect it will turn out no different to when the famous Bristol R*vers went to Rome to see the Pope - we all know how that ended

I do ******* love that lot though, they are priceless. And they are ours, love them xx

I love the way higgs is releasing all this load of garbage to the evil post, knowing full well that the Uwe is dead in the water, and is only trying to appease gasheads in the full knowledge that the Uwe project is dead, and saying that yanky doodle dandy is coming to save them from oblivion!The gift will never stop giving, like a golden tit!

Edited by Arkateee

Ahh yes, the famous blue and white quarters. Why are they so obsessed with their jerseys? They're hardly unique anyway...

Ahh yes, the famous blue and white quarters. Why are they so obsessed with their jerseys? They're hardly unique anyway...

WTF!?

Of course they are, no one else wears quarters. And they are called the 'pirates' too

How ******* unique do you need, Michael?

Ahh I see! They're still ignoring Wycombe and hoping they'll go away? Good point. How could I have been so stupid.

Blackburn are more famous in their blue and white quarters also have a bigger fan are and have won something of note

Ahh I see! They're still ignoring Wycombe and hoping they'll go away? Good point. How could I have been so stupid.

Ha, 'still' ignoring Wycombe - I like that!

Blackburn are more famous in their blue and white quarters also have a bigger fan are and have won something of note

Ummmm, quarters?? Not Blackburn, Monkeh

Good lord, they're going to take over america next :facepalm:

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/3537/hope-higgs-talks-american-investors#ixzz3eY5kowvD

They sound like somebody you would see on The Apprentice!

Wow - really?

No he is right, to be fair; are any other clubs called the Pirates? Don't forget we Robins are as common as muck. I mean one has to be deferential about such things what. We are British after all whereas those Pirates are all at sea and could as well be Welsh or Irish or, god forbid, from some far flung foreign land back from a rape and pillage venture.... arghhh thats why this Yank has shown up, a stowaway from New York state on the run from a maximum security prison. He lost his buddy due to blisters on the soles of his shoes but he made it rubbing them with salt peter while onboard an old wooden steamer.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1

No he is right, to be fair; are any other clubs called the Pirates? Don't forget we Robins are as common as muck. I mean one has to be deferential about such things what. We are British after all.

Well we are named after our national bird

They are named after people who robbed raped and stole......who would you rather be linked with?

No he is right, to be fair; are any other clubs called the Pirates?

There are quite a few teams (although not football other than Orlando Pirates),

Pittsburgh Pirates are probably the most well known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Pirates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_(disambiguation)

Edited by BS2 Red

There are quite a few teams (although not football other than Orlando Pirates),

Pittsburgh Pirates are probably the most well known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Pirates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_(disambiguation)

Bit of a stretch, but there's the Tampa Bay Bucaneers too. Edited by sirscrumpton

Jesus, if we get BIG backing....I doubt Higgs and co would sell to asset strippers...they could have got out before....12 months ago we faced oblivion. We COULD end up getting more backing than BCFC, a new ground...the possibilities are actually raising a semi

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/3537/hope-higgs-talks-american-investors?page=2#

Here we go! This time next year Rodney, we'll be bigger than city!!

• Like 1

"We can see why Bristol Rovers is one of the clubs they were interested in talking to. We have an incredible fan base which is the envy of many clubs.

This makes us an attractive proposition for potential investors."

Jesus Christ, we can see where the sags get their delusion from......straight out of the mouth of Piggsy!!

We COULD end up getting more backing than BCFC, a new ground...the possibilities are actually raising a semi

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/3537/hope-higgs-talks-american-investors?page=2#

Here we go! This time next year Rodney, we'll be bigger than city!!

That's basically what they really want, all talk of their pride in being a 'real' football club who aren't bankrolled by a 'sugar daddy' is just a load of old piss. Show them the money and they'll bend over and drop their shit stained kacks before you can say 'Bristol Pirates of the UK Saaccoor league'.....anything to try and get above us.

"We can see why Bristol Rovers is one of the clubs they were interested in talking to. We have an incredible fan base which is the envy of many clubs.

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/3537/hope-higgs-talks-american-investors?page=2#ixzz3eYfjmB26

Jesus Christ, we can see where the sags get their delusion from......straight out of the mouth of Piggsy!!

...and I thought it was supposed to be us who have 'delusions of grandeur'?

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

Unbelievable envy.. Winchester Rovers in Sunday leagues had more of a turn for their promotion in the pub than the sags did in their whole open top bus..

Some of them aren't falling for it....plenty of others though are already ordering big blue and white foam hands off the Internet and discussing their own erections (presumably whilst playing with them). I dont know any set of fans anywhere who have more delusions of grandeur....one of them even thinks they're going to be big in the USA.

That Henbury blokes 'ITK' record is ******* appalling. He makes Kachina look reliable.

• Like 1

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/3537/hope-higgs-talks-american-investors?page=2#ixzz3eYfjmB26

An incredible fanbase yet could only get 26k for the biggest game in their history.

An incredible fanbase is a team that takes over 40k to the national stadium for a poxy cup final.

An incredible fanbase yet could only get 26k for the biggest game in their history.

An incredible fanbase is a team that takes over 40k to the national stadium for a poxy cup final.

In all fairness

40k for a one off match doesnt mean that much

If you got that every week then you could call it incredible

In all fairness

Poxy cup finals don't usually come about every week.

In all fairness

So by the same token 26k for a one off match doesn't mean that much either?

In all fairness if we reached the prem I could see us easily pulling in crowds of 30k + each game and easily 40k for the big ones if we had the capicity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-33324808

Higgs trying to create intrigue? Makes me believe, as someone has posted earlier, he's already learned that the Sainsbury's verdict won't go in his favour and he's trying to put some upbeat story out to his many thousands of followers before they shortly get to learn the devastating truth that the contract wasn't watertight after all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-33324808

Higgs trying to create intrigue? Makes me believe, as someone has posted earlier, he's already learned that the Sainsbury's verdict won't go in his favour and he's trying to put some upbeat story out to his many thousands of followers before they shortly get to learn the devastating truth that the contract wasn't watertight after all.

The spokesman said the board of directors had "made no secret of their intention" to secure investment in the club.

"If a potential buyer were to approach us with the right offer, made for the right reasons, we would obviously consider this offer," he said.

"At this moment in time there has been no offer. However, this situation may change in the future."

He said the club had a "very clear, ambitious plan to move the club forward" and was "actively looking for new directors with expertise".

They have a "very clear, ambitious plan to move the club forward"?  :rofl2br:  :rofl2br:

The massive support base that has only seen them have an average attendance of over 7.5k once since 1979...?!

I think Higgs and co have been taking lessons from Rudolph Hess school of propaganda.  Along with "if you shout a lie loud enough it becomes the truth" they are now using similar diversionary tactics as well. At the end of the second world war the Germans spent a small fortune on making a film that celebrated what they considered to be one of the great military campaigns in their history. they encouraged every citizen to go and see this film whilst the allies were breaking through the front lines and heading towards Berlin. 

It seems to me that this suggestion (which is all it is) of investment from lands far away, is their version of the same tactic, designed to make the unwashed forget about the imminent disaster coming from the courts.

• Admin

And all this talk is off the back of an American being invited to a game and then telling the Post, he hasn't made an offer, no offer is imminent & if he's honest, there's 10 other clubs he's looking out instead. It really was the biggest nothing happening here story of the Summer for the Post.

• Like 1

• Admin

They have a "very clear, ambitious plan to move the club forward"?  :rofl2br:  :rofl2br:

It's a fairly simple plan.

1. Find a billionaire

2. Sell the club.

But they do have a backup plan.

1. Find a consortium of millionaires.

2. Sell the club.

If these both fail then they are stuck with this last plan.

1. Default on loan payments.

2. Enter liquidation.

At what point does Geoff Dunford get his money back?

Doesn't he own something quite important in all of this?

He was paid back when they took out the wonga style loan, I think?

This is a strange one to me. That someone who has vested so much of his life to RagAss is prepared to see them take out a Wonga styled loan to repay him his dues, with all of the associated risks, just doesn't ring true to me. I'm certain that Dunford hadn't put all of his wealth into the club, so why would he have allowed the club that he loves to put themselves into such a perilous position?

Perhaps he knew the likely outcome of the Sainsbury's case was likely to go against them resulting in inevitable administration and the risk to his investment? I guess we'll know soon enough.

As the old saying goes "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story". The result of the court case, one way or the other, should help clarify the situation a bit. ( I stress " a bit")