IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

So, apologies for asking something that is likely covered somewhere in this thread, but if this whole thing goes against the blue few on Monday; what is the likely impact on them as a club?

I figured it might be good to get some kind of approximated summary here now that everything is reaching a head.

Guessing it's probably not a apocalyptic as suggested (and perhaps hoped) by some, but equally I'm aware that they seem to have placed a significant number of their eggs into this basket, so am interested in how that plays once the judgement is handed down.

Sorry if it has been covered; just a lot of (very interesting, don't get me wrong) legal information here, so wondered about the impact beyond that.

So, apologies for asking something that is likely covered somewhere in this thread, but if this whole thing goes against the blue few on Monday; what is the likely impact on them as a club?

I figured it might be good to get some kind of approximated summary here now that everything is reaching a head.

Guessing it's probably not a apocalyptic as suggested (and perhaps hoped) by some, but equally I'm aware that they seem to have placed a significant number of their eggs into this basket, so am interested in how that plays once the judgement is handed down.

Sorry if it has been covered; just a lot of (very interesting, don't get me wrong) legal information here, so wondered about the impact beyond that.

Fingers crossed they go bust, then bang goes their only 'jibe' BCFC82LTD

Fingers crossed they go bust, then bang goes their only 'jibe' BCFC82LTD

True, but that jibe has been easily countered by the presentation of the fact that we have won more since 1982 than they have since 1883.

A 100 year head start and yet they are still firmly in our shadow

• Like 2

True, but that jibe has been easily countered by the presentation of the fact that we have won more since 1982 than they have since 1883.

That's exactly what I tell them but Gashead being a Gashead still can't grasp that, just be nice to put it to bed once and for all. :fingerscrossed:

According to the Tony Watola it could be catastrophic apparently

http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-Rovers-Club-tells-court-catastrophe/story-26533487-detail/story.html

Edited by Guest

I'm sure Tony Watola and the club have some robust contingency plans in place should the case go against them.

Oh - wait a minute - he was the chap who didn't plan for relegation to the conference and it took him totally by surprise.

What's 1883 got to do with anything - they're the 15ers, aren't they?

In fairness though the blue few are not exactly famous for their ability to tell the truth

Quite, I can believe it this time though.

Surely it's not long until the Memorial Stadium is going to need some quite substantial repairs and upkeep, Wonga to repay, running costs...

Don't get me wrong I don't think we'll be looking at a collapse, but unless there's some angel in the wings or the Directors are willing to pump in some cash I can believe they'd be on the razor's edge of a Darlington/Stockport esque decline.

Edited by Guest

Surely it's not long until the Memorial Stadium is going to need some quite substantial repairs and upkeep, Wonga to repay, running costs...

Don't get me wrong I don't think we'll be looking at a collapse, but unless there's some angel in the wings or the Directors are willing to pump in some cash I can believe they'd be on the razor's edge of a Darlington/Stockport esque decline.

Fingers crossed then

Last time I went there for the rugby, I couldn't believe how tatty and dilapidated it all seemed. Even the "newer" stand looks grim.

• Like 1

Guest I am the mole

Last time I went there for the rugby, I couldn't believe how tatty and dilapidated it all seemed. Even the "newer" stand looks grim.

by stand you mean gazebo??

Thanks  for that BCL.

Having followed this thread, and particularly the informed comments of the likes of 29AR and yourself, my instinct is scenario 3 (Sainsbury's win) is extremely unlikely, to the point we can basically rule it out.

A Rovers win, in the form of max. compensation, in your 'win big'  no. 3 scenario will be the most likely outcome, whether it should be, or they truly deserve it, or not.

Unfortunately they always somehow wangle their way out of the road to well deserved oblivion, whether it's fluking a promotion or stealing someone else's ground. Just when you feel their permanent demise must surely be happily inevitable they somehow find the extreme good fortune to wheedle their way out of it.

This won't be any different, just like before the play off final I'm resigned to them winning and coming out smelling of roses - anything else which leaves Higgs and co. stymied, and Rovers in permanent disarray would be too good to be true - but I've long ago accepted that it's simply not going to happen.

Maybe Monday the luck runs out.... :fingerscrossed:

I suspect it will a legal and financial compromise. If there was a clear breach of contract by either party I can't imagine it would have taken so long to arrive at a judgement. So no winners and no losers IMO. Though financially it will almost certainly hurt the ex non league team.

I suspect it will a legal and financial compromise. If there was a clear breach of contract by either party I can't imagine it would have taken so long to arrive at a judgement. So no winners and no losers IMO. Though financially it will almost certainly hurt the ex non league team.

I don't think there is much (or any) significance in the time taken, but I could be wrong.

It does seem we can rule out the contract expressly dealing with this scenario so she will be referring to the contract as a whole and evidence of negotiations and correspondence to try to ascertain what would the agreement have said if this was contemplated. Then marry that with the parties' conduct. BCL referred to the mounds of evidence submitted when he went along. She has/had a hell of a job and I've not responded to them (and I'm not directing at you) but remarks of an easy life and golf days for the judiciary, generally, are way wide of the mark nowadays

She was in Court in the interim too. In order to pay that case attention and give it a proper hearing she'll be carrying out research and reviewing documents in that case. One case had her in for a second hearing too so that could have been complex.

I gotta be honest I think she's delivering in pretty good time.

Edited by Guest

I don't think there is much (or any) significance in the time taken, but I could be wrong.

It does seem we can rule out the contract expressly dealing with this scenario so she will be referring to the contract as a whole and evidence of negotiations and correspondence to try to ascertain what would the agreement have said if this was contemplated. Then marry that with the parties' conduct. BCL referred to the mounds of evidence submitted when he went along. She has/had a hell of a job and I've not responded to them (and I'm not directing at you) but remarks of an easy life and golf days for the judiciary, generally, are way wide of the mark nowadays

She was in Court in the interim too. In order to pay that case attention and give it a proper hearing she'll be carrying out research and reviewing documents in that case. One case had her in for a second hearing too so that could have been complex.

I gotta be honest I think she's delivering in pretty good time.

errr......any chance of laymens terms or in a nutshell type thread please m'lud

errr......any chance of laymens terms or in a nutshell type thread please m'lud

Basically the judge hasn't been idle, or having it bang off.

She's been putting in the time to consider all aspects of the evidence and paying close attention to the contract details.

Then she's gone shopping!

Basically the judge hasn't been idle, or having it bang off.

She's been putting in the time to consider all aspects of the evidence and paying close attention to the contract details.

Then she's gone shopping!

Where does she shop ?

Is it not likely that Sainsburys have tried to protect their position as to costs by a Payment into Court?  Should BLBR not recover damages exceeding any Payment into Court ,Sainsburys would be entitled to their costs from the date of Payment In despite   "losing "  the case.

Is it a possibility that Sainsburys lose this case and are told they have to stick to the terms of the contract, then UWE falls through anyway (due to increasing costs or UWE themselves not wanting the stadium any more) meaning that rovers can't move out and Sainsburys get to pull out for nothing due to the site not being vacant within any agreed timescale?

• Like 1

Here it is then, will it be the ultimate in hilarity or the start of their push towards the Prem?

I'll be watching on with interest!

Darlington built a nice new ground for their push to the prem, how did that end up again?

Rovers will go nowhere with their current board, it's been the boards fault they are where they are instead of kicking on in the 90's when they had the momentum they squandered it and took all the money out of the club

• Like 1

Is it a possibility that Sainsburys lose this case and are told they have to stick to the terms of the contract, then UWE falls through anyway (due to increasing costs or UWE themselves not wanting the stadium any more) meaning that rovers can't move out and Sainsburys get to pull out for nothing due to the site not being vacant within any agreed timescale?

Am I right in thinking that the terms of the contract state that all money recieved from the possible sale must be spent on the new stadium?

Here it is then, will it be the ultimate in hilarity or the start of their push towards the Prem?

I'll be watching on with interest!

Is it too late now to apply to get 'Santa's Grotto' awarded 'listed' status?

If the Ashton Vale scrubland can be legally classified as a 'village green', surely 'listing' the Grotto is not as outrageous as one might initially assume?

Oh, not to mention the status inferred of the whole site by its name..

Whatever the outcome - someone's gonna by 'taken up the aisle' later.

guessing both sides already know the outcome?

Almost certainly. The Judgment will have been released to the legal teams last week in draft to review for clerical errors etc. No action can be taken on the basis of a draft decision and parties can't disclose it to anyone else.

Even if they do win they got themselves into this mess in the first place. Little has changed, the same people are still in charge aren't they. A victory now will have them believe they are Teflon coated which could be thir biggest downfall yet. May win the battle but not the war in the long run. Gasheads have a bumpy ride ahead of them still I think.

• Like 1

If all parties knew the result last week then this tweet worries me slightly...

Geoff Dunford

Jul 11

Geoff Dunford ?@GeoffDunford

I belive it will be a positive week for Bristol Rovers on and off the pitch! No inside information. Just my view! #UTG

When will Proudman release the decision?

Scheduled for 10:30am although there may be printed copies available in the court room a little before. How quickly it will be published online... we'll have to wait and see.

If all parties knew the result last week then this tweet worries me slightly...

Geoff Dunford

Jul 11

Geoff Dunford ?@GeoffDunford

I belive it will be a positive week for Bristol Rovers on and off the pitch! No inside information. Just my view! #UTG

Think they only get told 24 hours in advance of the result and for someone to have disclosed it to him would have been contempt of court.  Think he's just taking a 50/50 swing at it.

Further to that, I'd imagine that if the result has gone against Sainsbury's (as they'll already know) they would quite possibly be monitoring things like Twitter and Forums connected to the Gash for a 'leak' of some sort.

Edited by cityloyal473
  • Like 1