IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Why are we labelling them "sell outs" and renaming the thread as such?

They've negotiated the sale of the club to a wealthy owner which clearly makes their future look more promising. Exactly how wealthy this person is seems to be debatable, but it would appear to be undeniable that this financially strengthens the club. I don't see why that's selling out? They haven't given up their blue and white quarters or compromised the identity of the club in any way that I can see?

If they're sell outs for welcoming a wealthy new owner, were we not the same when Lansdown arrived?

Seems to be a lot of comments on here trying to find reasons why this is bad news. It might be, depending on how the wealth is used and the club is run from this point forwards, but let's not deny that this looks to be - in very broad terms - good news for Rovers. If we pretend otherwise then we justify their claims of bitterness.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They've negotiated the sale of the club to a wealthy owner which clearly makes their future look more promising. Exactly how wealthy this person is seems to be debatable, but it would appear to be undeniable that this financially strengthens the club. I don't see why that's selling out? They haven't given up their blue and white quarters or compromised the identity of the club in any way that I can see?

If they're sell outs for welcoming a wealthy new owner, were we not the same when Lansdown arrived?

Seems to be a lot of comments on here trying to find reasons why this is bad news. It might be, depending on how the wealth is used and the club is run from this point forwards, but let's not deny that this looks to be - in very broad terms - good news for Rovers. If we pretend otherwise then we justify their claims of bitterness.

I think the sell out jibes are mainly in response to the jibes we've taken re Lansdown. 

But I agree. In the short term this is excellent news for them. Going out of business looked a not too distant reality.

And am I the only one who thinks a rebrand to Bristol Black Arabs would be pretty ******* cool? I think it's genius. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think its more to do with their hypocritical stance and how they'd never be taken by a rich owner... always the peoples club ;)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think the sell out jibes are mainly in response to the jibes we've taken re Lansdown. 

But I agree. In the short term this is excellent news for them. Going out of business looked a not too distant reality.

And am I the only one who thinks a rebrand to Bristol Black Arabs would be pretty ******* cool? I think it's genius. 

a more innocent age "a rebrand to Bristol Black Arabs would be pretty ******* cool?"

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

10 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

I think its more to do with their hypocritical stance and how they'd never be taken by a rich owner... always the peoples club ;)

I get what you're saying but I still don't think relabelling the thread "sell out" does anything other than make us look bitter, because it doesn't really describe the situation. Not a clever call by the mods, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Exactly this. They are on the brink of becoming the very thing they've always claimed to despise and they're loving it.

Long, long way to go before its known whether this is going to be good for them or not. I think it's a bit bizarre that this has happened before the findings of the Appeal Court are known, presumably Higgs and Co are far from confident of a good outcome against Sainsburys.

They'd do well not to gloat too much until they've actually achieved something, they'll be subject to the same financial rules that we are, likewise we would be wise not to write off these investors straight away. One thing is for sure, as I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't swap them for the Lansdowns. At least we know our guys are committed to the club and our future.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Exactly this. They are on the brink of becoming the very thing they've always claimed to despise and they're loving it.

Long, long way to go before its known whether this is going to be good for them or not. I think it's a bit bizarre that this has happened before the findings of the Appeal Court are known, presumably Higgs and Co are far from confident of a good outcome against Sainsburys.

They'd do well not to gloat too much until they've actually achieved something, they'll be subject to the same financial rules that we are, likewise we would be wise not to write off these investors straight away. One thing is for sure, as I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't swap them for the Lansdowns. At least we know our guys are committed to the club and our future.

But what "thing" have they become that "they always claimed to despise"?

They have more money but the identity of the club remains unchanged. Are you saying if you asked 100 Rovers fans in the street if they wanted more money to make their club more competitive they would all say they "despise" that? I doubt that.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 1

I don't know why people get so funny about this. Who cares what they do. Good on them - there is no loyalty in football these days from a player perspective so why should it be any different when it comes to who the owner is or how much money they're prepared to plow in to their club.  Years ago I'm sure many here would have accepted a similar situation at our club. Luckily we have SL.

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 1

Having listened to the interview with the new owners sounds like they aren't going to splash the cash other than pay off the outstanding debts, more interested in developing from the academy. I'm not sure they're as wealthy as some think or they'd be after a bigger club than the Gas.

http://www.itv.com/news/west/2016-02-19/jordanian-billionaire-why-i-bought-bristol-rovers/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

But what "thing" have they become that "they always claimed to despise"?

They have more money but the identity of the club remains unchanged. Are you saying if you asked 100 Rovers fans in the street if they wanted more money to make their club more competitive they would all say they "despise" that? I doubt that.

'Claimed' to despise CR....I never believed them for a second

At the end of the day they are now the 'plaything' of a very wealthy man...a 'Sugardaddy'. In the past a lot of their fans have critisised and mocked City for the way we are financed however as soon as a foreign investor with a few quid comes along promising the good times they're quite happy to forget about that.

Personally I think it's a good thing if only because they won't be able to use the same excuses anymore about lack of money being the reason why their crowds and league position don't match ours. It'll be interesting to see how confident they are with their new owners if things go badly...how often have we heard predictions of Lansdown walking away leaving us fuq ed? Good luck with the Jordanian Chelsea fan if it all goes tits up.

Maybe it won't go tits up, who knows? I just think they don't realise (some Gasheads) how difficult it actually is to buy success....not that they'd ever wet their pants with excitement about the mere suggestion of buying success. :disapointed2se:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

I know the sell outs have lost the tiny self respect they had as a football club today, but surely, SURELY they won't be dressing up as arabs tomorrow?

No they will be dressing up for the valentines ball.

Some of the numbers being thrown around are laughable.

The family own 31.1% of the bank Arab Jordan Investment Bank according to a piece earlier in the thread.

There are 150,000,000 shares in AJIB with a current value of JOD1.78/share.

Total market capitalisation of AJIB: JOD267,000,000.

31.1% of JOD267,000,000 = JOD83,037,000.

JOD1 = GBP0.98

JOD83,037,000 = GBP 81,456,081

Prices from: http://sdc.com.jo/english/index.php?option=com_public&Itemid=28&security_report=111005

Translate above link to English and the family members showing as shareholders are: Abdulkadir Abdullah Ahmad Judge, Hani Abdel Qader Abdullah judge, Samer Abdul Kader Abdullah judge, Wael Abdul Qader Abdullah judge - those names give us a 30.19% stake in AJIB so the family stake in AJIB may be slightly less than calculated.

They've probably got other business interests but Sheik Mansour this is most definitely not.

Edited by View from the Dolman
  • Like 4

First benefit South Gloucestershire Rovers will be they are no longer have an administration cloud over their heads.

It looks like they will get their new ground.

But irrespective of these two pieces of good news for them, they will come up against is FFP. That won't really go away until they have their new ground. It's going to take a few years for this good fortune to manifest itself in real terms.

I wish them well but they should be mindful of other clubs who have had great news like this and it's all gone sour. For some reason I think of Portsmouth, Leeds, Cardiff etc. and think, City are very fortunate to have a benefactor who was actually a fan of the club before taking it over.

1 hour ago, ten minutes of rough said:

Well constructed reply, not. Sounds like you are in a bit of denial here. It must mean they will become a real adversary to us, something to look forward to, unless you actually enjoy having the stigma in Bristol of having a non league outfit that actually does Bristol City FC no favours at all, especially when we are lumped together with them by the less well informed.   As Sweden says this might encourage SL to kick on a bit more, especially with the Bristol Sport ethos, can't see he would want to be considered the poor man of Bristol Sport really.

What do you say Monkeh? Think before you type mind, just for a change. 

He is still in denial over his shit rantings over the summer about how he knew cotts and burt had our transfer dealings well under control and how anyone who dared question them or him was clueless... Then wasn't to be seen for months from sept 1st onwards...some posters you miss and when they come back you are glad...others...well!!

• Like 2

Pleased our redevelopment and reorganisation has been well underway for a considerable time now ...imagine if today's events at Rovers had occurred sooner than our modernisation began.

The Gas would swear that we were being reactive rather than proactive in our ambition, as it is fair play to them, they've been given a rare chance now to progress somewhat themselves now. For what seems like forever they have provided us with one laugh after another and for that we are (hopefully) eternally grateful to Irene's clowns -gawd they even recently obliged us by going  non-league ffs, priceless as the saying goes!

Its exciting times for them regardless of the personal wealth of their new owners, without a doubt things have moved in a massively improved way for them at what appeared to have been possibly the eleventh hour for their existence or otherwise.

We will look on with curiosity based interest in what the future holds for the blue side of town, its like watching a neighbour building an extension on their house across the road. 

Its the British way to hold a soft spot for the underdog and I expect a lot more public interest in the fortunes of the blue few, many will no doubt be rooting for the longtime downtrodden underdog to cone good...

Thats OK, they're a long way off of us right now and no matter what things won't be changing on that front anytime soon, both Bristol clubs are making huge strides forward or no doubt the Gas will soon be doing, but for every step they take we will be doing the same, we are so many steps ahead already as we've traditionally always been....and whatever they can do, rest assured we will be doing it better... The Gap is here to stay, while sport in Bristol generally is improving on all fronts at last.

BRFC are playing catch-up but sadly for them too little too late to trouble us, come on you Gas catch us if you can!  ....(not a chance) ... If anything the excitement created around the Gas takeover today may well see BCFC changing up into yet another gear!

Good news for everyone, and if they ever approach anything near City's status in future I'm sure many of us will relish the prospect of meaningful local derby's once again.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Reddie The Eagle Edwards said:

Everybody needs to listen to this, and maybe then expectations will be managed. He offers absolutely no promises, says cash will not be thrown at them etc etc. There is no Billions, not even millions. His comment that the debt would be paid off over time says an awful lot.

My personal belief is , it's a very strange time for Higgs to sell up, what with a potential 30 million windfall coming in.

I believe these people have invested because Higgs said give me 8 million and within weeks you can turn that into 30 million (if the court case goes well) or 20 million by selling the land. They will then walk away with a nice profit leaving Rovers, still in debt and homeless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pigeon said:

Am I the only one that finds this thread rather cringe..?

I personally think it's great that Rovers have been bought out and I hope they manage to get to the Championship so we can have two proper clubs in Bristol that can enjoy proper derby's.

I was actually talking to a Celtic fan the other day and even he was saying that he can't wait until Rangers get back up to the top flight so I don't understand all the cringe worthy insults coming out. I mean honestly, saying the guy (who is obviously very wealthy) looks like he is wearing a cheap suit? Are we back in the playground!?

Anyway, i'm sure now some of the 'old boys' or the 'real fans' will tear this apart but oh well! Do your worst!

Good luck Rovers and hopefully the next time you play us we'll both be in the Championship or better giving you a 6-0 thrashing! :) 

No because of their hypocritical stance... Lansdown was the anti-christ because he had all this cash and invested in City. All of a sudden, these guys come in and all of a sudden its forgotten.

Lets also not forget history that they (the fans) wanted City to fold in '82 even the club wanted to take advantage of the situation and take AG. Lets not forget how the club robbed the Mem Ground from Bristol RFC who were a financial mess going to hit the wall at the time.

Fair play to them for getting some investment even though their new owners wealth has been vastly exaggerated by them and the local media but I wish them zero luck as they are a bunch of hyprocritical *****.

PS:- to compare themselves to Man City or Chelsea is just pure gold... Remember they are an average L2 side right now so when will the owners get a return on their investment? Not for a long time I would imagine

Edited by Dark Wood Covert

4 minutes ago, Just Red said:

And as others have said in these days of FFP, it is impossible to now throw money at a football club. So even if they were billionaires they couldn't spend that on players etc. I also believe the rules in leagues one and two are much stricter?

I think it is, its a lot easier for lower league clubs to hit the wall... Even if its that's the case, I'm sure 'Pep' Clarke will rocket them through the leagues and eventually Champions League glory ;) 

2 hours ago, ten minutes of rough said:

Well constructed reply, not. Sounds like you are in a bit of denial here. It must mean they will become a real adversary to us, something to look forward to, unless you actually enjoy having the stigma in Bristol of having a non league outfit that actually does Bristol City FC no favours at all, especially when we are lumped together with them by the less well informed.   As Sweden says this might encourage SL to kick on a bit more, especially with the Bristol Sport ethos, can't see he would want to be considered the poor man of Bristol Sport really.

What do you say Monkeh? Think before you type mind, just for a change. 

I for one enjoyed it hugely :clapping:

• Like 7

As a Bristolian Watching Points West earlier just made me realise what am embarrassment they really are. That ground is a disgrace, those geriatrics they were interviewing (connected to their governance structure in some way?). Seriously, they need to pull themselves together as they are currently a disgrace.

While I certainly wish them no success whatsoever, I really hope that the few million that they might get from this might be enough to sort out their image a bit. Purely because I'm proud (not prowed) of my city, and as it stands they really do let us down.

Edited by Red Rum
  • Like 2

Guest ernie goodthing
28 minutes ago, Just Red said:

Everybody needs to listen to this, and maybe then expectations will be managed. He offers absolutely no promises, says cash will not be thrown at them etc etc. There is no Billions, not even millions. His comment that the debt would be paid off over time says an awful lot.

My personal belief is , it's a very strange time for Higgs to sell up, what with a potential 30 million windfall coming in.

I believe these people have invested because Higgs said give me 8 million and within weeks you can turn that into 30 million (if the court case goes well) or 20 million by selling the land. They will then walk away with a nice profit leaving Rovers, still in debt and homeless.

The strange thing was, that listening to him...no big promises, build the academy,, 'right recruitment', no skipful of cash - the person he sounded most like was SL! 

Well for a long time we have had the rich backer in Lansdown and a lot of good it has done for us.Still scraping to survive in the Championship , still not capable of signing a decent striker since last summer and a Manager with no experience of managing in the league we are in. Will they get it as wrong as we have.Is it possible well time will tell.But being the poor relations will be hard to swallow.

25 minutes ago, Just Red said:

I thought it was an interesting interview.

At best, Rovers have got somebody who can secure their short term future. He talks about building, academy, youth players all nice enough, and of a new stadium. He at least says he is in it for the long term, and to be fair he talked I thought quite well. 

If that is delivered, it is indeed a very good day for them. A lot of the uncertainty they were under has been removed. However, again at best, he came across as a decent fella who is going to build the club over the medium to long term. They should be celebrating that, rather than to many of them shooting off about being the new Man City. They should be very happy with what, it seems, they have got,  rather than creating stupid level expectations.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I thought it was an interesting interview.

At best, Rovers have got somebody who can secure their short term future. He talks about building, academy, youth players all nice enough, and of a new stadium. He at least says he is in it for the long term, and to be fair he talked I thought quite well. 

If that is delivered, it is indeed a very good day for them. A lot of the uncertainty they were under has been removed. However, again at best, he came across as a decent fella who is going to build the club over the medium to long term. They should be celebrating that, rather than to many of them shooting off about being the new Man City. They should be very happy with what, it seems, they have got,  rather than creating stupid level expectations.

Indeed, I was very impressed by the interview. Basically wants to create a stable club that is almost self financing. 

Unfortunately by being labelled as a billionaire etc creating a stable club will be seen as a failure by the fans.

No doubt they have potential, however, it will take years and years of sustained success and building infrastructure before they can realise that potential and get anywhere near our level.

Let's be honest it has took us many years and circa 100 million of Lansdowns money to get to where we are league wise and infrastructure wise. It doesn't happen over night as they seem to believe.

We are now finally doing things right off of the pitch but it has took us many years of mistakes to arrive at this junction. They will have to go through the same and I'm not convinced these people will remain committed for the amount of time it would take.

The question is, why Bristol Rovers? There are numerous clubs with similar potential with better infrastructure and less debt. And this is what makes me worry on their behalf.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Genuinely interested to know how much this lot are worth, just saw a Squatter post £500m !!!!

Seems strange that the internet has so little about a family so wealthy.

Heard that the family are worth £1.4billion so about the same as Lansdown.

Slagchat is an amusing read now they've had a chance to let the Strongbow kick in...

I swear they recycle that OTIB 'what do the initials really mean?' thread every few weeks, elsewhere on the board they're getting really upset with some City fan suggesting that this guy might not be worth as much as they think.

Some muppet has started a thread just to suggest that they are different from us because they have "spirit and soul".... I wonder who they are trying to convince, us or themselves?

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Slagchat is an amusing read now they've had a chance to let the Strongbow kick in...

I swear they recycle that OTIB 'what do the initials really mean?' thread every few weeks, elsewhere on the board they're getting really upset with some City fan suggesting that this guy might not be worth as much as they think.

Some muppet has started a thread just to suggest that they are different from us because they have "spirit and soul".... I wonder who they are trying to convince, us or themselves?

That has to be the funniest thing I've ever read.. The spirit and soul they are apparently so famous far has been ripped out the club, they can try and sugar coat it al they want, it won't change anything.

Funnily enough I saw a few sags on twitter say that they won't be following the sell-outs anymore.. I'm sure deep down a few older sags are gutted their club has lost it's soul, the rest will lap it up.

Edited by Iron Man

1 hour ago, Robin TBW said:

Heard that the family are worth £1.4billion so about the same as Lansdown.

The family own a 36% stake in a Jordanian bank that has assets of around $1.3 billion - it's not the same as being worth that amount as the assets will be bank branches, computers, buildings, stocks, pensions, shares etc - if you want some context the families Jordanian bank made a after tax profit of around $22 million in 2014, and we are not even sure if all the family is involved or just the new president (after all if you have a few million and like football, buy a club, it's like football manager but bigger and better).

• Like 1

I'm one of those people that love it when the Gas fail but also don't really mind when they have a bit of success. I wanted them to move to UWE (although the 'We've got a new stadium' chant against us in Sep 2013 is always so funny to look back on now) and would love us both to be competing in the top two divisions. For a city our size, it really should be the case.

Whether this turns out to be as good as it looks is definitely up for debate. The seedy past Hamer has and also the fact nobody really knows what they're worth definitely should bring about doubts. However, the Al-Qadi guy spoke very sensibly and seemed smart in his interviews. They might not be rich but he can't be much worse than Nick Higgs... can he?

Meanwhile...

Edited by BCFC Jordan

7 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

I'm one of those people that love it when the Gas fail but also don't really mind when they have a bit of success. I wanted them to move to UWE (although the 'We've got a new stadium' chant against us in Sep 2013 is always so funny to look back on now) and would love us both to be competing in the top two divisions. For a city our size, it really should be the case.

Whether this turns out to be as good as it looks is definitely up for debate. The seedy past Hamer has and also the fact nobody really knows what they're worth definitely should bring about doubts. However, the Al-Qadi guy spoke very sensibly and seemed smart in his interviews. They might not be rich but he can't be much worse than Nick Higgs... can he?

Meanwhile...

Barber talks sense mind.. His dad though..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

Meanwhile...

Wow. Just Wow. Forgetting about what his dad said about they are now bigger and better than us can someone save this video so in 5 years time when they have been shafted by the Jordan's and they are groundless and broke and playing non league we can play this on repeat on all of our big screens?

I would like to think if this was us in their position our fans wouldn't be dancing around the streets celebrating, instead, we would be asking the important questions, do you actually have any money, and what are your intentions?