IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Technically not stolen a ground, but the circumstances of Rovers obtaining the Memorial Ground must be embarrassing to any honest fan. The owner of Bristol Rugby puts the club into administration  before any interested party has the opportunity to take over, meaning Rovers can buy the ground for £10k. The same person just happens to be a lifelong Rovers fan who became a life president of the club. Absolutely nothing illegal but surely a conflict of  interest? 

Maybe, maybe not, what is the case is that the second world war started with Eastville being owned by the Greyhound company and finished with it belonging to the Rovers. I am sure the coincidence that there were many of the same directors on both boards had nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Maybe, maybe not, what is the case is that the second world war started with Eastville being owned by the Greyhound company and finished with it belonging to the Rovers. I am sure the coincidence that there were many of the same directors on both boards had nothing to do with it.

Wait for the denials from the deluded few

3 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

You could always just do 1 and post on your own teams forum, just a thought.

Yes , good shout. I just think football forums- which are only supposed to be a bit of fun after all- can be a bit lame when everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.

Good luck for the rest of the season (obviously that last bit is a lie)

• Like 1

Just now, Miahdennehy said:

Yes , good shout. I just think football forums- which are only supposed to be a bit of fun after all- can be a bit lame when everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.

Good luck for the rest of the season (obviously that last bit is a lie)

Trust me we will cope without you,

luck won't come into it we will get what we deserve as will you .League tables don't lie.

1 hour ago, Hello said:

We paid 2.3 million for 50% the same price Amtrak were paying to put a distribution centre on the site.

The deal was either side could buy the other 50% for 10k

So thats 2.3m plus 10k we paid.for the ground. All in the accounts as we have/had the mortgage to prove it

The land used to include two practice pitches used by Bristol Rugby and was approx twice the size of the current footprint. Where did the money go when this land was sold for housing?

26 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

Trust me we will cope without you,

luck won't come into it we will get what we deserve as will you .League tables don't lie.

Well that isn't exactly true is it.

Pretty sure a certain Italian club got demoted a few divisions for bribing officials so their league position was inflated.

2 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

Bollocks. As I aid previously, there is a thread on here lauding a Radio Bristol presenter for slipping a 'Mind the gap' reference in.

Any**** that gets remotely upset at trivial comments over football is a bit of a *****.

Some Rovers fans are *****s, some City fans are *****s , and some say 'amusing' things, that aren't really all that amusing.

Is there first time that you've got angry on this forum? Not like you 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The land used to include two practice pitches used by Bristol Rugby and was approx twice the size of the current footprint. Where did the money go when this land was sold for housing?

Bristol Rugby sold that not us,.better ask the owners of the time what they did with it

3 hours ago, S_Y_G said:

For club that has no club song and whose fans can't even put their heads together to adopt or write one, its quite amusing seeing rover's chants/songs being criticised.   Maybe you should talk to non Bristol fans who have been to both grounds and see which they say has the best atmosphere, but you wouldn't like the answer.

I speak to plenty of non Bristolians, your never even get mentioned though, your ranked as a club with the same sort of appeal as a Shrewsbury or a Chesterfield ( apologies to those two clubs). 

Your just not on the radar, as for songs, singing and dreaming about some old woman isn't really something to try and boast about is it. Atmosphere wise, yours reminds me of Yeovil's, you can't compete with us on that either. 

3 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

Bollocks. As I aid previously, there is a thread on here lauding a Radio Bristol presenter for slipping a 'Mind the gap' reference in.

Any**** that gets remotely upset at trivial comments over football is a bit of a *****.

Some Rovers fans are *****s, some City fans are *****s , and some say 'amusing' things, that aren't really all that amusing.

You give me some random Radio Bristol presenter and I'll raise you Keith 'Junior Bent' Valle.

You lot have serious form for this type of thing. We have no form whatsoever. 

All good banter but what if it's campus location makes the UWE stadium impossible to finance by conventional means ?

Is it conceivable that only way to fully fund it is through council support or a donation from a benefactor ?

Were the Al-Qadi family aware of the situation before they purchased Bristol Rovers ?

Will books be written about the final days in the 2016 Horfield bunker just as there were about the 1945 Berlin bunker ? 

Could we yet see a nuclear confrontation followed by withdrawal into Middle East isolation and the creation of a wasteland on Filton Avenue ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bert tann said:

All good banter but what if it's campus location makes the UWE stadium impossible to finance by conventional means ?

Is it conceivable that only way to fully fund it is through council support or a donation from a benefactor ?

Were the Al-Qadi family aware of the situation before they purchased Bristol Rovers ?

Will books be written about the final days in the 2016 Horfield bunker just as there were about the 1945 Berlin bunker ? 

Could we yet see a nuclear confrontation followed by withdrawal into Middle East isolation and the creation of a wasteland on Filton Avenue ?

It already is one isn`t it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hello said:

Bristol Rugby sold that not us,.better ask the owners of the time what they did with it

Who was the owner?

Other questions. Why did the Bristol Rugby owner (a lifelong Rovers fan) have a clause in the contract that allowed Rovers to buy the rugby club's 50% of the ground for £10k?  It's usual business practice to ensure that your only asset is retained in the event of debts. You don't give it away.  Also why did the the rugby owner (a lifelong Rovers fan) put the  club into administration, thereby triggering the clause? No warning and no opportunity for other interested parties to take over. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

They'll probably claim that Wally could pay for the stadium, but it is a much better option to borrow money and pay interest on a loan.

They cannot/will not get a loan, which suggest that lines of credit are not open to them. They are looking for investors/partners to find the funding for the ground.

UWE can build another faculty on the land, they have the money, so whether Rovers start building is probably no skin of their noses as they will get something built on the site sooner or later. 

8 minutes ago, Fiale said:

They cannot/will not get a loan, which suggest that lines of credit are not open to them. They are looking for investors/partners to find the funding for the ground.

UWE can build another faculty on the land, they have the money, so whether Rovers start building is probably no skin of their noses as they will get something built on the site sooner or later. 

I get the impression they`re just waiting for Rovers to pull out so they can do just that. The only reason they haven`t laid the law down already is that they don`t want the howls of outrage from the Evil Post, Points West et al accusing them of shafting Bristol`s only family club with their great tradition blah blah blah.

36 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Any news on the investment you suggested may be sought from the local businessman with construction industry experience who had recently received an unexpected injection of capital or is he still chuckling away to himself by his pool in Tuscany?

41 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Who was the owner?

Other questions. Why did the Bristol Rugby owner (a lifelong Rovers fan) have a clause in the contract that allowed Rovers to buy the rugby club's 50% of the ground for £10k?  It's usual business practice to ensure that your only asset is retained in the event of debts. You don't give it away.  Also why did the the rugby owner (a lifelong Rovers fan) put the  club into administration, thereby triggering the clause? No warning and no opportunity for other interested parties to take over. 

2.3 million was what Amtrak were going to pay for the site, we paid that for 50% with the 10k site

How much should we have paid?

Not our fault Bristol Rugby has been badly run that Rovers saved them and then years later Steve Lansdown had to save them.from going tits up

Bristol were going bust and would have sold it the Mem to a distribution firm.

But i guess its all a conspiracy

Edited by Hello
extra

21 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Any news on the investment you suggested may be sought from the local businessman with construction industry experience who had recently received an unexpected injection of capital or is he still chuckling away to himself by his pool in Tuscany?

I understand he is waiting in the wings.

That is the hickory smoked barbecue type not the kotex simplicity freedom ones.

6 hours ago, S_Y_G said:

For club that has no club song and whose fans can't even put their heads together to adopt or write one, its quite amusing seeing rover's chants/songs being criticised.   Maybe you should talk to non Bristol fans who have been to both grounds and see which they say has the best atmosphere, but you wouldn't like the answer.

I don't tend to engage with petty Rovers debate much, but this is truly laughable.

I might be wrong but I suspect "One for the Bristol City" is probably about us for starters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doozerchris said:

The Official History of City states "Harry Dolman had two season tickets at Eastville and was invited to become a Director there. At his first meeting the Board were discussing selling Eastville to the Greyhounds and renting it back. Harry considered that a backwards move as he believed a club should always own it's ground. He was told with thinking  like that he would be better off at City", which is why thankfully he came to us. It has been posted elsewhere that following the sale, a lot of Rolls Royces appeared in the Eastville Directors carpark, but the team wasn't improved.

Meanwhile reverting to our belief in gas heads being deluded; there's quite a few posts on gaschat about how their next game at Northampton is "quite winnable". Someone else started a thread about incorporating the names of deceased fans on bricks in their new stadium.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

I think Clarke's comments were - at best- ill advised.

Odd how there is one thread lauding  a local radio presenter for a 'mind the gap' comment, yet others get a little  precious when a joke is made about non existent displays on an electronic scoreboard!

I do despair of football fans at times, some really do need to grow a pair.

I know you are ( for a Squatter ) a fairly sensible poster , but do you rally not get the difference in the two jobs the highlighted parts represent?

One is supposed to entertain and encourage debate of listeners and the other is meant to be a professional representative of your club. Not a pissed up no mark on a jolly with his mates down the local , I dread to think of the out cry if Cott's would have done that.

5 hours ago, Hello said:

We paid 2.3 million for 50% the same price Amtrak were paying to put a distribution centre on the site.

The deal was either side could buy the other 50% for 10k

So thats 2.3m plus 10k we paid.for the ground. All in the accounts as we have/had the mortgage to prove it

So you paid £2.3m for 50% and just £10k for the other 50% because your co-owners were in financial difficulties. Sounds like bloody daylight robbery to me, there isn't one person on this forum who wouldn't have ran to the mortgage lenders to take that deal !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I know you are ( for a Squatter ) a fairly sensible poster , but do you rally not get the difference in the two jobs the highlighted parts represent?

One is supposed to entertain and encourage debate of listeners and the other is meant to be a professional representative of your club. Not a pissed up no mark on a jolly with his mates down the local , I dread to think of the out cry if Cott's would have done that.

So you paid £2.3m for 50% and just £10k for the other 50% because your co-owners were in financial difficulties. Sounds like bloody daylight robbery to me, there isn't one person on this forum who wouldn't have ran to the mortgage lenders to take that deal !

Which bit about Amtrak buying the site for that price and us paying the same for half is confusing you

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hello said:

Which bit about Amtrak buying the site for that price and us paying the same for half is confusing you

So some one else was willing to rip them off as well , I see you're pardoned in that case.

So let me get this right...

The Gash paid £2,301000 for 100% of the Memorial Stadium, and tried to sell it on for £20,000000 - Yeh right, of course there's no shady business going on right there!

As others have alluded to, the stadium will always be the golden egg that you protect at all costs, and yet somehow it how it finds its way into the Rovers hands with surprisingly (cheap) ease.

• Like 3

Rovers paid £2.3m for 50% of the Mem.  Bristol Rugby Club and BRFC agreed  a clause that should either party ever go bust, the other could buy the other 50% for a nominal £10,000.  We were so badly managed that we never paid off any of the £2.3m, and finally Barclays bank wanted out.  At which point Nick Higgs was forced to get a Wonga loan from MSP finance. 

No denying the fact that Rovers have been woefully mismanaged over the last 16 years or so.  Or perhaps longer.

11 hours ago, S_Y_G said:

Where Braintree?

come on, for 40 years you've done nothing, "Are you watching Ashton Gate "is your original song of choice.

Turn up and stop crying.

It'll make a change...

32 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Bristol Rovers season tickets 2015/16: 3,526 (http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/)

Season tickets sold yesterday: 4,000 (https://twitter.com/BristolSportAB/status/717237342461931523

They are a massive club with the best fans in the world. How we envy them.

Fantastic view of the ground in Andrew Billingham's tweet 

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Bristol Rovers season tickets 2015/16: 3,526 (http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/)

Season tickets sold yesterday: 4,000 (https://twitter.com/BristolSportAB/status/717237342461931523

I'm sure they had 15 million people in the waiting list.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2016 at 20:16, S_Y_G said:

Typical drivel from the "super fans"

Which sets of fans would that be then? Recently we've had Bolton, Ipswich, Cardiff, Brighton & Middlesbrough come to Ashton Gate. When did they last visit your dump? And likewise, I can't remember Accrington, Morecambe, Cambridge or York coming to Ashton Gate in the last couple of decades either.

Either provide proof of your ridiculous claim or kindly fudge off! Pathological liar....:)

Edited by Kim_il_sung
  • Like 4

I heard I nice thing about our gaseous friends yesterday. Was playing golf against someone who is a long standing Rovers supporter but now only goes very occassionally. He remembers going to Eastville for a game v Newport County but was (understandably) disgusted to hear Rovers' supporters singing about Aberfan. Possibly the lowest thing I've heard of at football...

2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Oh come on, selling over 3.5k of anything out of that portakabin of there's is an amazing achievement!

2 minutes ago, Calculus said:

I heard I nice thing about our gaseous friends yesterday. Was playing golf against someone who is a long standing Rovers supporter but now only goes very occassionally. He remembers going to Eastville for a game v Newport County but was (understandably) disgusted to hear Rovers' supporters singing about Aberfan. Possibly the lowest thing I've heard of at football...

Some City have been guilty of that in the past....

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Calculus said:

12 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Really? You really have to wonder what goes on in some peoples' 'brains'. Complete lack of thought or humanity.

Sadly, in the past it was heard 

• Admin
2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

I'm genuinely amazed that they only had 3526 season ticket holders this season. That is a large chunk who POTD.

Mind you I wonder how many are put off by the ludicrous pricing they have

3 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Yes, really.  Its definitely been sung at Cardiff.

I'm afraid sick chants are not exclusive to any one particular set of supporters. I remember the Aberfan chant well, and even joined in with it on occasion, until I found out what it was all about .I was born in 1964 and have nor had any recollection the disater so blindly joined in with mates, who also joined in, in fact it was one of my mates mothers who put us right, when she heard about the vile chant.

I believe United and Liverpool supporters still taunt each other with sick chants, and probably will for years to come.

It wasn't all that long ago City fans mocked the death of Micky Barratt, and Rovers fans did the same about your chairman (apologies, but his name escapes me at the moment)

I do think things are changing for the better, and I know I can post the following without any worry or fear of malicious comments.

On Saturday before our game against Crawley I had my normal pre match pint(s) in the Civil Service club, surrounded by friends who I see at every home game. One of them was John, normally there with his son Paul, both good friends of mine through AEK Boco & Rovers. He explained that Paul was on a charity bike ride, and would be joining us later.

Sadly, tragically, Paul collapsed and died on the ride, he was just 42 years old. John is broken hearted, as are the mother, brothers and children he left behind.

Paul was one of the good guys, upbeat, always positive and Rovers through & through. Pre match pints at Rovers, and watching kids matches at Boco will never be quite the same again, but I suppose the  best we can ever hope for, is that we make a positive contribution during our short time on earth, and Paul certainly did that.

Edited by Miahdennehy
  • Like 12

On 03/04/2016 at 10:36, Doozerchris said:

1982 you belter know your history 

1982 - the year when a new company was formed in order to evade the club going out of business. The year when creditors of Bristol City Football Club had to accept a maximum of 20p in the £ - better than nothing, but still a big hit for small, local businesses who supplied goods on credit in good faith.  The year when 8 players agreed to tear up their contracts so that the club would not be declared bankrupt.

Following this, the Football League changed the rules so that this could never happen again - 1982 was not exactly the finest hour in the history of your club was it?

If you read Deryn Collier's account of those days, it seems that they were more concerned about Osborne Clarke buying a £1m worth of shares than they were about the Eastville stadium company - who he describes as "the greyhound people".

Just shows that when backs are against the wall, the business men stop at nothing to survive. I for one am glad that you did manage to keep going, there are some things that I wouldn't wish on any football fan - and losing your club for ever is one of them.

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

“Last season’s average home attendance, for league matches, was 6,636, while our average attendance this season is just over 7,500, which indicates that supporters believe that this club is at the beginning of a very exciting journey.
Read more at http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/index.aspx#4xkl8HTuzBcjbZ5W.99

:yawn:
UPkOc.gif
Edited by glynriley
  • Like 2

On 2 avril 2016 at 23:37, Miahdennehy said:

It must be at the very  least 2 years  since City scores were shown on the scoreboard , and Keith Brookman is the matchday programme editor not the stadium manager. Still, lets not let the facts ruin it :)

Is n't Keith Brookman the news guy on the Simpsons ?

:whistle:

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 09:05, Miahdennehy said:

I didn't hear the comment, but I can assure you when Keith said it, it would have been said flippantly and you are reading far too much into what he said. He may even have meant the comment to be heard by his wife, who is an avid a City fan as Keith is a Rovers one.

I didn't hear this comment but I did hear the one the match after the takeover.

I assume it was the same guy, but I don't know any "personalities" at your club so I maybe wrong, but whomever it was said how excited he was because "it's not everyday you find yourself supporting one of the richest clubs in the country" thereby maintaining the myth that had already started to build around the Wael family. I wonder if he wants to retract that statement now that the dust has settled.

He was almost right to be fair, if he had said "this just another day when you don't find yourself supporting one of the richest clubs in the country" he would have been correct.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I'm sure that all of us on here will unite in asking you, Miah to please pass on our sincere condolences and sympathies to the family and friends of Paul, a fellow Bristolian.

Can only add to comments above @Miahdennehy please accept our best wishes and pass on to family and friends of those affected

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Miahdennehy said:

On Saturday before our game against Crawley I had my normal pre match pint(s) in the Civil Service club, surrounded by friends who I see at every home game. One of them was John, normally there with his son Paul, both good friends of mine through AEK Boco & Rovers. He explained that Paul was on a charity bike ride, and would be joining us later.

Sadly, tragically, Paul collapsed and died on the ride, he was just 42 years old. John is broken hearted, as are the mother, brothers and children he left behind.

Paul was one of the good guys, upbeat, always positive and Rovers through & through. Pre match pints at Rovers, and watching kids matches at Boco will never be quite the same again, but I suppose the  best we can ever hope for, is that we make a positive contribution during our short time on earth, and Paul certainly did that.

Very well said Miah.

As a AEK Boco player myself I didn't really know Paul that well but from what I did know of him and from what the younger lads have said, he was a diamond who they all looked up to having grown up with him as their manager to one of the best Boco teams ever.

RIP Paul

• Like 4

2 hours ago, In the Net said:

1982 - the year when a new company was formed in order to evade the club going out of business. The year when creditors of Bristol City Football Club had to accept a maximum of 20p in the £ - better than nothing, but still a big hit for small, local businesses who supplied goods on credit in good faith.  The year when 8 players agreed to tear up their contracts so that the club would not be declared bankrupt.

Following this, the Football League changed the rules so that this could never happen again - 1982 was not exactly the finest hour in the history of your club was it?

If you read Deryn Collier's account of those days, it seems that they were more concerned about Osborne Clarke buying a £1m worth of shares than they were about the Eastville stadium company - who he describes as "the greyhound people".

Just shows that when backs are against the wall, the business men stop at nothing to survive. I for one am glad that you did manage to keep going, there are some things that I wouldn't wish on any football fan - and losing your club for ever is one of them.

You mean Clark Osborne, went to school with him, 'nough said !

I'm afraid sick chants are not exclusive to any one particular set of supporters. I remember the Aberfan chant well, and even joined in with it on occasion, until I found out what it was all about .I was born in 1964 and have nor had any recollection the disater so blindly joined in with mates, who also joined in, in fact it was one of my mates mothers who put us right, when she heard about the vile chant.

I believe United and Liverpool supporters still taunt each other with sick chants, and probably will for years to come.

It wasn't all that long ago City fans mocked the death of Micky Barratt, and Rovers fans did the same about your chairman (apologies, but his name escapes me at the moment)

I do think things are changing for the better, and I know I can post the following without any worry or fear of malicious comments.

Saw it in the Post, very sad. Keep your head up mate.

• Like 2

I rarely post on OTIB but have followed City since the early eighties. Paul was one of my best friends (and a work colleague here in Clevedon) and I have just left the family home having visited John and Mary to pay my respects. You sum him up well mate, he was one of life's brightest lights - full of energy and would do anything for anyone. A number of his close mates are City lads and I, for one, will desperately miss the banter with him.

He knew his football inside out having been a really decent local league player and a hugely successful Youth manager, he also rose above the petty rivalries that can spark between our two clubs. He was too positive about life to do anything else.

To be honest, I'm dreading going to the Gate tonight and not having him text me during the game as he always would. He will be missed enormously by all who ever knew him.

I obviously don't know who you are mate but I'll try and track you down at the wake to share a pint.

• Like 16

• Admin

RIP PAUL

THE heartbroken children of a 42-year-old cyclist, who died while taking part in Tour De Bristol, have paid tribute to their 'amazing father'.

Paul Withey, who lived in Mangotsfield, suffered a suspected heart attack while climbing Wrington Hill during St Peter's Hospice's major cycling fundraiser on Saturday.

Other riders rushed to help Mr Withey, along with emergency services, who were there within minutes.

But sadly the father-of-two passed away at the scene.

His children Mollie, 19, and Luke, 17, released a joint statement. They said: "He was such an amazing father and friend and was loved by so many people.

"Nothing is helping the pain at the moment but all the messages we are receiving as a family emphasise how popular and loved he was.

"This was one of many charity events he was involved in, last summer he rode from Bristol to Amsterdam and has completed several charity runs.

"His family always came first, very closely followed by Bristol Rovers.

"We are proud to call him our dad/son/brother."

More than 650 competitors were taking part in St Peter's Hospice's annual Tour De Britain at the weekend including the charity's chief executive Simon Caraffi.

He said: "I would like to offer my condolences to the family and thank both the riders and emergency services who helped him.

"We are all shocked and saddened to learn of the sudden death of Paul Withey. I was on the ride myself and learned the terrible news as I finished.

"He received immediate CPR from other cyclists on the tour and was attended to by a medi-bike and an ambulance within minutes.

"Unfortunately they were unable to save him.

"I was on the road and came across the incident as emergency services were already there.

"The route was closed while investigations were completed, so we re-routed riders and the event was able to continue, despite this sad tragedy, without further incident.

"Our thoughts and sympathies are with Paul's family and friends at this difficult time and I'd like to pay tribute to the participants and emergency services who helped at the scene, as well as the riders who cooperated brilliantly while we changed the route.

"Your respectful support was much appreciated.

"This sad incident has cast a shadow over a magnificent day of fundraising by the wonderful people of Bristol."

A post mortem examination is set to be carried out to confirm his cause of death.

South Western Ambulance Service confirmed it received a call at 11am on Saturday to reports of a cyclist suffering a cardiac arrest.

A rapid response vehicle, ambulance crews and air ambulance were dispatched immediately.

They carried out CPR at the scene but sadly he passed away at the scene.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, In the Net said:

Nice read

7 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

Sorry to hear about this Miah.

RIP Paul and thoughts with his family.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

It was sung quite frequently during the away game when Scotty scored those two goals and Lee Matthews rocked the goal.

I know it has been sung at games vs Cardiff but I was at that game and can't recall any Aberfan songs...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 2

Guest S_Y_G
13 hours ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Typical drivel from the "super fans"

Which sets of fans would that be then? Recently we've had Bolton, Ipswich, Cardiff, Brighton & Middlesbrough come to Ashton Gate. When did they last visit your dump? And likewise, I can't remember Accrington, Morecambe, Cambridge or York coming to Ashton Gate in the last couple of decades either.

Either provide proof of your ridiculous claim or kindly fudge off! Pathological liar....:)

Talk to anyone who goes to both grounds.   Actually its an interesting thing, and I think has it had something to the ground design.   I recall going to the old open away end at the gate and you can here virtually nothing from your fans. A few weeks later we had you again, I couldn't get a ticket and went in the city end (East stand) I think. It was loud. I looked up at the stand roof and there was a metal drop down which would have stopped the sound escaping from the stand.  A few years back when we were in the new away end, the one still used unless changed recently, we were losing and I wanted to be swallowed whole!! The only good thing is we couldnt here anything from the city fans and it made me feel much better.  So, I reckon the gate as I knew it had poor acoustics, which maybe has now been rectified.  There r other obvious things, all seater grounds r crap compared to terraces, maybe u don't get that at all anymore in the championship, or can't remember.  The mem is small, tight, mostly terraced, it has a great atmosphere. Although no doubt to be largely lost if we end up in a sterile, mass produced, all seater, looks like everywhere else stadium.

3 minutes ago, S_Y_G said:

Talk to anyone who goes to both grounds.   Actually its an interesting thing, and I think has it had something to the ground design.   I recall going to the old open away end at the gate and you can here virtually nothing from your fans. A few weeks later we had you again, I couldn't get a ticket and went in the city end (East stand) I think. It was loud. I looked up at the stand roof and there was a metal drop down which would have stopped the sound escaping from the stand.  A few years back when we were in the new away end, the one still used unless changed recently, we were losing and I wanted to be swallowed whole!! The only good thing is we couldnt here anything from the city fans and it made me feel much better.  So, I reckon the gate as I knew it had poor acoustics, which maybe has now been rectified.  There r other obvious things, all seater grounds r crap compared to terraces, maybe u don't get that at all anymore in the championship, or can't remember.  The mem is small, tight, mostly terraced, it has a great atmosphere. Although no doubt to be largely lost if we end up in a sterile, mass produced, all seater, looks like everywhere else stadium.

Couldn't agree more. With all the away games I have been to especially this year, I have been suprised with lack of atmosphere produced from home fans.

Birmingham, wolves and reading were silent and in certain games this year at home we have been as well possibly due to our league position.

To answer the post that implies other fans have said that the mem has a better atmosphere is a ridiculous statement to make couldn't agree more with Kim Il sung.

Apparently, the new stadium they want will be built free of charge.

All Wally has to do is to leave 5 million on deposit and use the 10% Return to generate half a million a year in interest to pay for it. Which is why they want investors, to pay the up front costs.

Because clearly, if Wally can get 10% on his savings, investors will be looking for a much lower return on a higher risk strategy.

Gas Logic.  I fully expect one of them to be the next Icelandic PM.

18 hours ago, phantom said:

RIP PAUL

Photo of Paul Withey with his two children Luke and Mollie

It didn't connect until I saw the picture, but I worked with Paul about twenty years ago at BAe at Filton.

he was indeed a lovely bloke and huge Gashead. It was just unfortunate for me that I worked with him during a period that the gas were slightly better than us, meaning I had to endure hours of pisstaking as the only City fan in our particular section!

RIP Paul.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Well, I remember it well. The cardiff fans were trying to bite through the two separating nets when it was sung.

Ok, we'll have to agree to disagree, I went to Ninian Park five times in the good old days and only heard it sung about twice...certainly not at the 'Scotty scores two' game...and on one occasion (another game) our fans voiced their disgust at the song and drowned it out...

Fresh back from the capital after yet another unsuccessful mission to secure finance for the UWE stadium the Rovers Chairman Taffy Hamer is beginning to lose heart. 

Late last night  he was heard leaving the Civil Service Club on Filton Avenue giving a wonderful rendition of Hen Wlad Fy biNhadau ... 

Wael, Wael, oh why did you purchase that pile ?

Wherever I roam

I can't fund a new home

And Higgsy is all full of smiles

• Like 7

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/6634/early-days

More comedic content, lifted from ass-shat ! It would appear that a few plates of chips got pissed on Tuesday evening :rofl2br:

According to "Mario Balotelli" (very apt ! :facepalm:), the only reason we are not bottom of the Championship is because Bolton, Charlton and M.K. are complete w**k !

Some more sensible assheads, guys including Weeezord have called the thread an embarrassment.

Clearly; he has forgotten that we play in the most competitive league in Europe, as opposed to their basement league, where most if not all teams, are complete w**k ! :laughcont:

In all likelihood, Bolton, Charlton and M.K. would all dish out a beating to the 15ers, were they to play them now.

I really hope the 15 get Pompey in the play offs. They are all fearful of a two legged semi final against them, and Pompey have done them twice already.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/6634/early-days

More comedic content, lifted from ass-shat ! It would appear that a few plates of chips got pissed on Tuesday evening :rofl2br:

According to "Mario Balotelli" (very apt ! :facepalm:), the only reason we are not bottom of the Championship is because Bolton, Charlton and M.K. are complete w**k !

Some more sensible assheads, guys including Weeezord have called the thread an embarrassment.

Clearly; he has forgotten that we play in the most competitive league in Europe, as opposed to their basement league, where most if not all teams, are complete w**k ! :laughcont:

In all likelihood, Bolton, Charlton and M.K. would all dish out a beating to the 15ers, were they to play them now.

I really hope the 15 get Pompey in the play offs. They are all fearful of a two legged semi final against them, and Pompey have done them twice already.

If a thread every sums up a majority of a fan base it's this one. I see the moron who was too embarrassed to admit he supports 2015 LTD started the thread is well. Oh the gift!

• Like 1