IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

9 hours ago, bert tann said:

I fear this may be a bit dry for otib but I'll spice it up as best I can.

The original deal between Rovers, Sainsburys and UWE was a good one except that financially it was balanced on a knife edge. With that deal in place Nicholas should have sought major outside investment so that Rovers could be viewed by the other parties as a credible and financially sound partner. If that had been the case I believe Sainsburys would have been happy to remain on board and the UWE Stadium would have been completed by now. As it was I don't think either of our partners felt comfortable about getting into bed with Rovers and that unease was the underlying reason for the collapse of the project.

That the stadium was constructed on land owned by the University but held on a 125 year lease would have had no impact at all on the success of the venture. There would be no borrowings so no need to use the land as security and the revenue generated by commercial activity on the site would all flow through to the lessee, BRFC.

The major shock in the wake of the Al-Qadi takeover was the revelation that they were apparently intending to finance the stadium through debt and not equity. The Chairman told supporters this was quite a normal procedure and that no business would use cash to finance a project of this size. What he did not disclose was how much actual equity the owners were proposing to invest and whether UWE were happy with debt being attached to the stadium when their agreement with Nicholas stipulated it should be debt free.

It was another poster who said that the project had been touted around London but offers of finance had not been forthcoming. However the recent resignation from the board of the "expert" brought in to oversee the financing of the project does lend credence to his suggestion. My theory is that UWE would be willing to allow some debt attached to the stadium and that financiers would be willing to back the project so long as they land was freehold but the sticking point is the amount of risk capital which the Rovers owners are willing to invest. Other people have put this viewpoint forward and I think it makes sense because in the last ten months we have seen no evidence at all of any cash arriving from Jordan. In fact Wael has admitted that he purchased the Rovers by "assuming debts" and not putting up any cash.  

The sincerity of Wael is not in question but he, like Nicholas, may have fallen into the trap of believing that if you wish for something hard enough it will come true. When you ask others to support you in a business venture you have to prove to them your own commitment and for that most people will want to see hard cash. There may be wealthy and influential people, some even associated with the UWE, who would like to see a vibrant and successful stadium on that campus and would be prepared to invest but  they would look very closely at their prospective partners commitment. Assessing this, and considering the risks and rewards attached to the project, would enable them to determine how much equity they would demand and how much would be left for the current owners.

Wael arrived with a fairy tale story of how this would be the only football club he would ever own but if he really has no cash to invest then he may have to be content with a just slice of the fairy tale cake or else find a way out which preserves his dignity and that of our club.

Thanks, that fills in the gaps nicely with what I'd heard. The 'Dick Whittington goes to London' story is certainly true. We'll just have to see how much more of Wally's reign becomes fairytale!

Clarke comes over as a self-regarding oaf, but his record in dragging that mob out of non-league on a shoestring is hard to argue against.

And when compared to their owner, who has done exactly nothing to make good on his talk of investment in the club, I'd wager Clarke is in a pretty strong position to walk if not backed.

All told; don't expect them to have the blockbuster second half of the season, nor for them to hit the skids and head back to League Two (mores the pity), but also don't see them massively altering their team via investment, so may very well be heading into another period of uncertainty and strife.

But as long as they give us a good laugh with their hilarious antics now and again, it's all good.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, samo II said:

Clarke comes over as a self-regarding oaf, but his record in dragging that mob out of non-league on a shoestring is hard to argue against.

And when compared to their owner, who has done exactly nothing to make good on his talk of investment in the club, I'd wager Clarke is in a pretty strong position to walk if not backed.

All told; don't expect them to have the blockbuster second half of the season, nor for them to hit the skids and head back to League Two (mores the pity), but also don't see them massively altering their team via investment, so may very well be heading into another period of uncertainty and strife.

But as long as they give us a good laugh with their hilarious antics now and again, it's all good.

Here here! Up the bloody gas!

17 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

gotta defend robbo on this one, oldrosie started a new topic about the goings on and it wasn't even funny, redm just merged it thats all

I did merge it yes, once it started to go off at a tangent (funny photos) it may as well be lumped in together with the rest.

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

I did merge it yes, once it started to go off at a tangent (funny photos) it may as well be lumped in together with the rest.

How's this for an idea? - create a Bristol Rovers sub forum similar to the transfer one.

Then most of us wouldn't have to put up the boring gashead topics.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How's this for an idea? - create a Bristol Rovers sub forum similar to the transfer one.

Then most of us wouldn't have to put up the boring gashead topics.

Good God no, they think we are obsessed because we have one thread about them (and it's not always about them) imagine what they would say if we gave them a whole forum!!

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

How about not reading/posting on threads that don't interest you? I've tried not driving minibuses to destinations that don't interest me, and trust me, it works!

@Robbored, he's got a point. Most threads I can easily deduce what they might contain by the title, although in NTTDS case they can be more challenging to guess!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RedM said:

@Robbored, he's got a point. Most threads I can easily deduce what they might contain by the title, although in NTTDS case they can be more challenging to guess!

I very rarely read threads with any suggestion that they are gas related but obviously can't avoid seeing the thread title. 

I just don't get why some posters find it necessary to harp on about the Rovers. They aren't even in our league ffs. If they were then it would be understandable to see such posts because they'd be rivals.

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I very rarely read threads with any suggestion that they are gas related but obviously can't avoid seeing the thread title. 

I just don't get why some posters find it necessary to harp on about the Rovers. They aren't even in our league ffs. If they were then it would be understandable to see such posts because they'd be rivals.

I notice under your user name you have a little diatribe ending.......the voice of reason, the SAGE.

I think it's miss spelled, should it not be ....the SAGS ?

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I notice under your user name you have a little diatribe ending.......the voice of reason, the SAGE.

I think it's miss spelled, should it not be ....the SAGS ?

:facepalm:

I wouldn't have that you, a respected and long standing poster would resort to such a cheap and very tired jibe.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Because it's great fun having a laugh at the sags.  Losing their league status, getting knocked out of the cup in successive years by Chesham and Barrow, coming out with belters like "championship ready" and "off the field comparable to Brighton", what's not to like.

In addition the UWE fiasco and the lack of investment in the team are all about to come to a head.  I for one am rubbing my hands in anticipation at the pantomime that is about to unfold.

Of course events at AG take priority, but as a sideshow it's hard to beat the entertainment provided by the gas soap opera.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

:facepalm:

I wouldn't have that you, a respected and long standing poster would resort to such a cheap and very tired jibe.

I'm sure we wouldn't take so much notice of them if they'd just show a bit of humility.

I bet Notts County fans don't keep on about their fans being the best, most loyal in the country, or go on Florists forum with ...." coming to get you" type things ! 

I don't think we'd mind so much if (like the Sheffields or the Manchesters,) they were WORTHY rivals. They just hang on to our coat tails (potentially) stripping us of 50%of fans, without a hope in hell of catching us ! THAT'S why IMHO, we hate them and revel in their constant embarrassments .

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Malago said:

Because it's great fun having a laugh at the sags.  Losing their league status, getting knocked out of the cup in successive years by Chesham and Barrow, coming out with belters like "championship ready" and "off the field comparable to Brighton", what's not to like.

In addition the UWE fiasco and the lack of investment in the team are all about to come to a head.  I for one am rubbing my hands in anticipation at the pantomime that is about to unfold.

Of course events at AG take priority, but as a sideshow it's hard to beat the entertainment provided by the gas soap opera.

Each to their own I guess.

Im only too happy to engage in a bit of friendly banter with my gashead mates but they know that I have the high ground so they tend to change the subject. When they get cocky as they regularly  do I mention the tented village they play on and ask them what division they're in these days.

I have a far greater dislike for Swindon and Cardiff than I do the Rovers.

Edited by Robbored

4 minutes ago, Hartcliffe red said:

Really?

Yeah, really.

Swindon because it's a shit hole of a place full of inbreds who think that Swindon Town FC are the greatest team in the West......:facepalm:  There's a great amount of history between the fans going back to the 70s and the only place I ever got a real kicking and then arrested before being taken to PMH to get treated for a busted rib. 

Cardiff because it's Cardiff! It's actually a nice City despite being full of taffies. The amount of grief they've caused us on and off the pitch over decades is immense. They're as close as I've ever got to hating a football club and now that Colin is there it's even closer.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yeah, really.

Swindon because it's a shit hole of a place full of inbreds who think that Swindon Town FC are the greatest team in the West......:facepalm:  There's a great amount of history between the fans going back to the 70s and the only place I ever got a real kicking and then arrested before being taken to PMH to get treated for a busted rib. 

Cardiff because it's Cardiff! It's actually a nice City despite being full of taffies. The amount of grief they've caused us on and off the pitch over decades is immense. They're as close as I've ever got to hating a football club and now that Colin is there it's even closer.

So ,you wouldn't mind there being threads on here about how crap Swindle and Cardiff are, then?:cool: 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not in slightest. In fact I'd welcome them and join in.

So you understand why people want this thread, use it & you would use the same thing if for another team, but you still complain about it?

Edited by Griffin
  • Like 3

Each to their own I guess.

Im only too happy to engage in a bit of friendly banter with my gashead mates but they know that I have the high ground so they tend to change the subject. When they get cocky as they regularly  do I mention the tented village they play on and ask them what division they're in these days.

I have a far greater dislike for Swindon and Cardiff than I do the Rovers.

What a very strange comment, you are surely on your own there

31 minutes ago, harrys said:

I am not sure he is, although I laugh at them and I do hate them, there is an element of my thoughts that says, they are still Bristolians and represent Bristol particularly when they play those sides. I would rather see a Bristol side do better than one from Cardiff or Swindon. Sorry if that doesn't fit the agenda.....

• Like 1

In view of Darrell's recent comments I'd like to remind Gasheads of why we go on and on about the gift that keeps giving. Remember, you bring it all on yourselves with garbage like this and we laugh loud and long when it comes back to bite you firmly on the butt. At this point you usually find some excuse to blame us and then want to fight about it like some spoilt child.....

Please continue to give generously....especially at Christmas 

IMG_0160.JPGThis is more like it..........

IMG_1043.JPG

Edited by Cheesleysmate
  • Like 2

Guest Star of a gunner
9 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

In view of Darrell's recent comments I'd like to remind Gasheads of why we go on and on about the gift that keeps giving. Remember, you bring it all on yourselves with garbage like this and we laugh loud and long when it comes back to bite you firmly on the butt. At this point you usually find some excuse to blame us and then want to fight about it like some spoilt child.....

IMG_0160.JPG

I thought Swindon were the oldest ?

Guest Star of a gunner
11 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

IMG_0160.JPG

I thought forest green have more money ?

Guest Star of a gunner
13 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

IMG_0160.JPG

with average crowds of 40,000 their the biggest .

23 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

IMG_0160.JPGThis is more like it..........

IMG_1043.JPG

My favourite was the meme that had Messi, Suarez & Neymar kitted up in Rovers shirts. 

In reality it was a reject from Port Vale, an aging defender from Plymouth and some doughnut from Peterborough. 

But they're coming for us apparently.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

So no other City fans have mates who follow the Gas?

If that is what you're saying then that's a very strange and one eyed comment.

Sorry, what I found strange about your comment was that you had a bigger dislike for Swindon and Cardiff than Rovers, personally I feel totally indifferent towards the two of them whereas Rovers, apart from being totally Reprehensible are also   pathological liars

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

My understanding was that City have never lost to a non league side in an official competitive first team game. The Gas on the other hand must be close to double figures now (not including defeats when they were non league themselves).

No; those three defeats were in the FA Cup. The biggest upset was a 3-0 defeat home to Crewe (1910-11). The others were a one goal margin away to Brentford 1-2 (1905-06) and Reading 0-1 (1900-01).

So yes, we have lost to non Leaguers in the FA Cup, but unlike our lesser bretheren, not for 105 years (and counting). :clapping:

Edited by 22A

4 hours ago, harrys said:

Tbh I have a bigger dislike for Swindle than the Sags as find their club irrelevant but the Sags delusion of grandeur, constant embarrassments and so so on are so hilarious that this thread needs to be open for as long as its possible :) 

Its a fantastic thread

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, harrys said:

Sorry, what I found strange about your comment was that you had a bigger dislike for Swindon and Cardiff than Rovers, personally I feel totally indifferent towards the two of them whereas Rovers, apart from being totally Reprehensible are also   pathological liars

As I posted earlier in this thread, each to their own.

I have solid, historical reasons for greatly disliking Swindon and Cardiff but no historical or current reasons for feeling the same towards the Gas.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As I posted earlier in this thread, each to their own.

I have solid, historical reasons for greatly disliking Swindon and Cardiff but no historical or current reasons for feeling the same towards the Gas.

Swindon is such an irrelevant club and Town that I feel it's impossible to have any hatred for them, maybe it's just because I can remember the fun days we had on the Town End back in the 70's

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Tbh I have a bigger dislike for Swindle than the Sags as find their club irrelevant but the Sags delusion of grandeur, constant embarrassments and so so on are so hilarious that this thread needs to be open for as long as its possible :) 

Its a fantastic thread

It's a funny thing with the gAss, half the time I don't know (or really care) how they've got on. It's usually a City mate on the wind up or a gAss mate crowing . That said although I hate Swindon slightly more than I hate Cardiff I REALLY hate that delusional bunch of self aggrandising, bullshitting bunch of no marks in the clown outfits, always will. 

PS: I also like this thread, comedy Gold :yes:

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, harrys said:

Swindon is such an irrelevant club and Town that I feel it's impossible to have any hatred for them, maybe it's just because I can remember the fun days we had on the Town End back in the 70's

If you were there back in the 70s then youll know just how much trouble there was between fans, made worse by the violence dished out by the Wiltshire Police. What a bunch of thugs they were.

I and a load of lads went to the County Ground  every time we played there and "took" the Town End many times but never able to hold it for long. That's where I got such a kicking I ended up in hospital with badly bruised ribs and a fracture.

I hasten to add that I was a teenager back then and getting into punch ups was part of the "fun". 

Thankfully I grew out of that pretty quickly.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If you were there back in the 70s then youll know just how much trouble there was between fans, made worse by the violence dished out by the Wiltshire Police. What a bunch of thugs they were.

I and a load of lads went to the County Ground  every time we played there and "took" the Town End many times but never able to hold it for long. That's where I got such a kicking I ended up in hospital with badly bruised ribs and a fracture.

I hasten to add that I was a teenager back then and getting into punch ups was part of the "fun". 

My memory is slightly different to yours. We first went to Swindon in '69, As far as I am aware from then until the segregation came in, when we "took" the Town end, it STAYED "took" !:cool:

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

My memory is slightly different to yours. We first went to Swindon in '69, As far as I am aware from then until the segregation came in, when we "took" the Town end, it STAYED "took" !:cool:

It was around 45 years ago Slarti. Age can play tricks with yer memory. I don't remember ever holding the Town End but that doesn't mean City didn't it do.

10 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Exactly as I remember it even when they had Millwall helping them out

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was around 45 years ago Slarti. Age can play tricks with yer memory. I don't remember ever holding the Town End but that doesn't mean City didn't it do.

Not saying THEY weren't in there, but once in we NEVER got booted out!. I'm sure a few of on the "front line" (as your good self ) got a booting themselves !

1 hour ago, Sergio Georgini said:

I'll just leave this here..

[IMG][IMG]

I had a ten pound bet to charity that City would have a higher average away following than Rovers with a fellow City fan on this forum (name escapes me). He might as well make the donation in time for Christmas, no chance of them overhauling us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

God, I'd forgotten THAT !

72 - 73 season? Home to Millwall in August and a bit of trouble.

Swindon away in September where we expected trouble and Millwall turned up to help Swindon against us.

October away to Oxford and there were some Millwall & Swindon fans there to help Oxford out as we had run ins with them for a few years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 22A said:

72 - 73 season? Home to Millwall in August and a bit of trouble.

Swindon away in September where we expected trouble and Millwall turned up to help Swindon against us.

October away to Oxford and there were some Millwall & Swindon fans there to help Oxford out as we had run ins with them for a few years.

HaHa beat me to it, can't remember Oxford away but I can certainly remember a few Oxford on the East End in one game in the early 70's

4 minutes ago, harrys said:

HaHa beat me to it, can't remember Oxford away but I can certainly remember a few Oxford on the East End in one game in the early 70's

Yes, they were in there and would probably stayed undetected EXCEPT a couple of them paniced and ran for the Dolman/ EE exit ! What a mistake-a-to make-a. The lucky ones scaled the gates, the unlucky ones never made it that far!      sigh... different times....different life. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, they were in there and would probably stayed undetected EXCEPT a couple of them paniced and ran for the Dolman/ EE exit ! What a mistake-a-to make-a. The lucky ones scaled the gates, the unlucky ones never made it that far!      sigh... different times....different life. 

been told it was 68....500 oxford on the east end many in yellow hard hats?

This thread has turned into a trip down memory lane for some of us.

Now if there ever trouble between football fans I tend to take a dim view of it before I remember that I was exactly the same back in the old days.

As Clint Eastwood said in The Unforgiven " I ain't like that no more" - thankfully.

Those bowls away fixtures sound a bit naughty 

I'd stick to football from now on

Ps You sure the bruised ribs didn't happen in the managers office at AG ?

:boxing:

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

been told it was 68....500 oxford on the east end many in yellow hard hats?

Can't comment on '68 I'm thinking 72ish, 500 Oxford seems a lot and in yellow hard hats!!! Never heard that story before, can anyone enlighten us?

47 minutes ago, harrys said:

Think we played Millwall the week before at AG where there was plenty of trouble hence them turning up at Swindon looking for revenge, I'd say it was '72 or '73

Yep, checking the records it was 72/73 and it appears we lost on the pitch but very much the victors off it. I thought it was earlier than that but that was the back-to-back Millwall home/Swindon away fixtures.

Remember Millwall joining in at AG when we were singing 'If you're all going to Swindon'. Unbelievably though they did. So it was City on the Town End, small group of very game Millwall in the corner and Swindon dispersed around their Grandstand. 

Two special trains that day. We were on the first and broke down the gates to their open end. Remember reading their evening paper on the way back headlining rioting Bristol City fans in the town centre which, I assume were those from the second train. 

Mad days. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Those bowls away fixtures sound a bit naughty 

I'd stick to football from now on

:boxing:

I've seen blokes rip their hats off and stamp on them....but usually their anger is verbal and channeled at their team mates .

You get called a "jammy bastard" when you play a clever shot.....:whistle: