IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Guest Gashead2017
Just now, Wanderingred said:

Perfectly happy the way things are thanks!

At the moment there's still rivalry, I bet there's not a thread this long about Port Vale on the Stoke forum!, if you ever get to the promised land and Wael doesn't deliver something at the Mem soon life could become a bit boring with neither teams fans interested in the other's results. 

1 hour ago, Gashead2017 said:

To be fair to Harleyhas this a fair post rather than a "cracker"? I sense a lot of genuine Gashead feel the same following the news the UWE was dead, the real danger is we become the Port Vale to your Stoke, I think most genuine Bristolian football fans would sooner a bit of rivalry than one totally dominant club like is now the case in the Potteries.

Stoke v Port Vale is an apt analogy - Burslem is one of the most backward places I've been to !

15 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

Weren't they bottom of the league when war was declared?

They finished bottom of Div 3 south in the season 38/39, but were reelected during that summer.  The entire season 39/40 was abandoned after a few games when war broke out.

There are those who still hold that Hitler only invaded Poland to stop the gas going bust.

20 minutes ago, Malago said:

They finished bottom of Div 3 south in the season 38/39, but were reelected during that summer.  The entire season 39/40 was abandoned after a few games when war broke out.

There are those who still hold that Hitler only invaded Poland to stop the gas going bust.

I was promised a share in the greyhound racing if I kicked it all off.  I never received it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gashead2017 said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the correct version appears to be :

"The rugby club were in serious financial difficulties so we agreed to a 50% share of the ground at at a cost of £2.3m. In 1998, Bristol's financial issues became worse and they wanted to sell to Amtrack, reputedly for £1m. That agreement fell through as Amtrack pulled out so we triggered a clause in the ground share agreement where we could buy the remaining 50% for £100,000."

Although I agree with the views we didn't learn from previous mistakes as I've no idea how we now owe £10m to a family of bankers from Jordanian who apart from the odd Rolex watch show no real signs of being wealthy. But at least the believers still think Wael will build us a new 22,000 seat stadium and a state of the art academy!! 

Very nice of you to come on here and bring your "news". You are welcome to come on here, unlike other sites, unfortunately, if you do bring "news" onto this site to so say correct somebody, please make it accurate. You can get away with misrepresentations on the other site but, not here.

Below is the obituary of Arthur Holmes, written on your clubs website in honour of him, by Mr Dunford in 2015. In it, he goes to great lengths to try and justify the deal, which seems rather strange, rather than celebrate the mans life. One wonders why. Please read and digest.

By Geoff Dunford

Arthur Holmes who passed peacefully away on January 4th aged 90 should be remembered by both Bristol Rugby club and Bristol Rovers with gratitude.

Arthur had to deal with rugby turning professional when it was not universally accepted. He carried this financial burden almost on his own. He was also the man who recognised sporting clubs could work closer together for mutual benefit

With the advent of professional rugby in the 1990's the top rugby clubs in the country had to make important decisions on their future.  Should they turn professional or retain their traditional amateur/semi professional roots?

Bristol Rugby Club decided to follow the professional route along with most of the top clubs in England, however, it did not go down well with some of the Bristol purists who either withdrew their financial support or did not contribute to the coffers of Bristol Rugby. This resulted in a lifeline for Bristol Rovers who were still playing in Bath and I was charged with negotiating a lease with Bristol Rugby to return Bristol Rovers to Bristol which was successful.

When I first met Arthur Holmes he was struggling to maintain Bristol on a sound financial footing and it seems he was fighting a lone battle. He needed financial support from other Bristol businessmen who were rugby fans, but the professional era was not popular. A deal was on the table to sell The Memorial Ground to a pension company and for the rugby club to rent it back. This was discussed at a Rovers board meeting and it was decided to offer the rugby club the same deal as the pension company but with the added benefit of starting a new company to acquire the stadium (The Memorial Stadium Company) with each club buying 50% of the shareholding for £10,000, and the rugby club would also receive £2.3m to solve their cash flow problems.

This option was far better than the pension company offer as it would result in the same amount of cash to the rugby club plus 50% ownership of the ground.

I found Arthur Holmes to be a gentleman in his business dealings and as a person. Indeed, he funded personally an amount of £250k to complete the sale to The Memorial Stadium Company as we were still short of funds at the deadline, to ensure Bristol Rugby could retain 50% ownership. (Arthur was made a Vice President of Bristol Rovers in light of this kind gesture.)

As we are only too aware in Football, professional sport is a difficult business to balance the books, and without further financial assistance from others who could have made a difference, Arthur, found the finances of professional rugby unsustainable without other benefactors.  Indeed, the only time offers of financial help came, it was too late as the club had already entered administration.

If either club entered administration, the other had the right to purchase the shares in the stadium company for the initial price of £10k to maintain their trading position, and this is what occurred.

Bristol Rugby survived turning professional and like most sports clubs needed very rich benefactors to help them maintain their progress.

Arthur Holmes loved rugby, and loved Bristol Rugby Club. If it wasn't for his support the rugby club would have disappeared into the amateur game and Bristol Rovers would still be playing elsewhere. Sometimes history gets twisted into rumour and sub plots, but rest assured, both Bristol Rugby and Bristol Rovers have reasons to thank Arthur Holmes for being in existence today.

Arthur, rest in peace, you were a true gentleman, something very rare in sporting circles today. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Julie and family.

The deal you refer to with Amtrak, was I believe, to purchase the ground for £1m, then rent it back to the rugby club with a distribution center on the car park area. Suddenly there appeared a much better deal for £2m which Arthur negotiated and was better all round because the rugby club still got to own 50% of their own ground, except the rugby club got so little, as £2m was paid back to AH. There was only one club going to go bust and that was Bristol rugby, as they were haemorrhaging money, as on national journalist put it. At the time of the deal I remember a quote from Mr Dunford stating that, this was a great deal for BRFC, as we now have a 50% share in £6m worth of real estate for £2m.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bianconeri said:

Didn't the rugby club get half the value of the stadium when the deal was set up? In which case they would have been able to buy it back for 10k had the sags gone under.

Yes they did get half the value when it was set up. Unfortunately, they owned all of it before that deal was set up. They effectively sold half, on the major shareholders instructions, then repaid the major shareholder the £2m they owed him. What money the rugby club actually received did very little to alleviate their problems and their major shareholder and then Chairman, Arthur Holmes, filed for bankruptcy, five months after the deal was struck, barely time for the ink to dry.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Yes they did get half the value when it was set up. Unfortunately, they owned all of it before that deal was set up. They effectively sold half, on the major shareholders instructions, then repaid the major shareholder the £2m they owed him. What money the rugby club actually received did very little to alleviate their problems and their major shareholder and then Chairman, Arthur Holmes, filed for bankruptcy, five months after the deal was struck, barely time for the ink to dry.

Fair enough, sold half the ground, got some cash which they used to pay some debts to a major shareholder, not enough so went bust and lost the other half. 

Nothing like that will happen again in Bristol will it?

9 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

To be fair to Harleyhas this a fair post rather than a "cracker"? I sense a lot of genuine Gashead feel the same following the news the UWE was dead, the real danger is we become the Port Vale to your Stoke, I think most genuine Bristolian football fans would sooner a bit of rivalry than one totally dominant club like is now the case in the Potteries.

No, No, I would rather we were in the Premiership and you were in League Two, like Stoke and Port Vale.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

We've now had just about a whole generation for genuine Bristolian football fans (whatever you mean by that, most I know are either genuine City or genuine R*vers fans) to get used to having no real rivalry due to the chronic incompetence of Bristol R*vers.  

I think most genuine Bristolian football fans would sooner a bit of rivalry than one totally dominant club like is now the case in the Potteries.

100% no. I want City to be completely dominant for the foreseeable future. Thankfully, it looks like my wish will be coming true.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

We've now had just about a whole generation for genuine Bristolian football fans (whatever you mean by that, most I know are either genuine City or genuine R*vers fans) to get used to having no real rivalry due to the chronic incompetence of Bristol R*vers.  

I think this is a bigger thing than some realise.

We're only played each other competitively eight times since 99/00.  Only four of those games were in the league, and the last occurance of that was April 2001.

So that is 15+ years since we were at the same level, and despite both teams best attempts last year, that'll likely extend to nearly 18 even if Rovers go up or we go down.

There obviously is no statute of limitations on a rivalry, but with us playing the likes of Cardiff on a far more regular basis (and those being league games too), I suspect you'll end up with a generation who think of Bristol derbies as more of a mythic thing than something real.

No, not at all. The dream of Bristolian football clubs being  on equal footings is a very one sided dream. 

Quite frankly, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if we never played you in a league game ever again. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, miser said:

Stoke v Port Vale is an apt analogy - Burslem is one of the most backward places I've been to !

I believe we are heading more towards something like Bradford City v Bradford Park Avenue in the medium term. Longer term, the  shape of football will change anyway, though I'm sure the footballs will remain spherical.

Good point, my kid was born in Feb 2007, there have been two derbies in that time. The day after he was born and one when he was 6. He does not look upon Rovers as a rival, more a fictional beast that is chained up in Horefield and used to scare children and embellish old guys stories. I would imagine that rings true for the majority of city fans from 18 down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

You say that but your posting on a thread relating to Rovers so clearly you have some interest in the club, personally I feel Bristol would be a worse place, football wise, if we became another Stoke, there must be virtually no banter/rivalry between fans their as all Stoke fans probably have zero interest in a club light years away from them. I fear that could well happen in Bristol now unless Wael  soon starts pulling rabbits out of hats  

As it's been said plenty of times this thread is a PISS TAKE thread set up when you went into non league . I and loads of other City fans don't want you anywhere near us. On and especially off the pitch we're a million miles apart and that's how I like it. I've got gas mates and these last 16 years have been very enjoyable . 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

That's a bit like Man City hoping that Oldham will be up challenging them anytime soon. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, samo II said:

I think this is a bigger thing than some realise.

We're only played each other competitively eight times since 99/00.  Only four of those games were in the league, and the last occurance of that was April 2001.

So that is 15+ years since we were at the same level, and despite both teams best attempts last year, that'll likely extend to nearly 18 even if Rovers go up or we go down.

There obviously is no statute of limitations on a rivalry, but with us playing the likes of Cardiff on a far more regular basis (and those being league games too), I suspect you'll end up with a generation who think of Bristol derbies as more of a mythic thing than something real.

6130 days to be exact! On October 28th it will be 17 years since they blue few were higher in the league :gasmask:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

They also went bust in that year but the outbreak of WW2 and the cancellation of the football league saved them . 

This just about says it all doesn't it. Bristol Rovers saved by Adolf Hitler! 

11 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

You say that but your posting on a thread relating to Rovers so clearly you have some interest in the club,.......

Sorry pal, you could not be more wrong. I look at / post on this thread because I know that wherever I am in the world I am guaranteed comedy incompetence and delusion by your club and its followers interspersed with (usually) wry and insightful comment from us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

At the moment there's still rivalry, I bet there's not a thread this long about Port Vale on the Stoke forum!, if you ever get to the promised land and Wael doesn't deliver something at the Mem soon life could become a bit boring with neither teams fans interested in the other's results. 

As long as your board keep making monumental f****ups, and your fans keep spouting deluded drivel, things will never get boring!

13 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

Ummmm....nah mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see Bristol football as more like Nottingham than Stoke. One underachieving Championship club, the other a League One/League Two yo-yo club

• Like 1

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the correct version appears to be :

"The rugby club were in serious financial difficulties so we agreed to a 50% share of the ground at at a cost of £2.3m. In 1998, Bristol's financial issues became worse and they wanted to sell to Amtrack, reputedly for £1m. That agreement fell through as Amtrack pulled out so we triggered a clause in the ground share agreement where we could buy the remaining 50% for £100,000."

Although I agree with the views we didn't learn from previous mistakes as I've no idea how we now owe £10m to a family of bankers from Jordanian who apart from the odd Rolex watch show no real signs of being wealthy. But at least the believers still think Wael will build us a new 22,000 seat stadium and a state of the art academy!! 

How much of that dosh went into Arthur Homes pocket, you know the lifelong gashead fronting up for the rugby club?

Quite telling the number of rugby fans who have no love for football are absolutely delighted at the state Rovers are in, and they were very close to the action at the time of the Holmes stitch up.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, myol'man said:

I see Bristol football as more like Nottingham than Stoke. One underachieving Championship club, the other a League One/League Two yo-yo club

And the yo-yo club can lay claim to being the older of the two as well :) 

Edited by Port Said Red

39 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Yep

Nottingham YoYo club invited to open the Juventus stadium by the European super power who copy their famous kit.

Bristol yo yo club invited to play Sabadell who happen the wear the same kit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why stop at 20000, plan big and aim for the stars !

Wael commented that the Mem site is exactly the same as that for Evertons 40,157 Goodison park.
which has a record attendance of over 78,000 !....imagine that on Filton avenue .
Goodison has housing right around the ground.

• Haha 1

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

Just reading Leroy roseniors column in the post. He said city and rovers should of come together and built a super stadium. Can't agree with that at all . 

Makes lots of sense for the blue few and none whatsoever for us.  Rosenior never seems to understand Bristol football.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just reading Leroy roseniors column in the post. He said city and rovers should of come together and built a super stadium. Can't agree with that at all . 

3 things with that...

1 - Who'd fund it??

B - Where would they build it??

iii - **** Off Leroy.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

####sake, Leroy spouting his rubbish again!

We've got a perfectly "super" stadium, thanks Leroy!

We wouldn't want them and, despite the many benefits, they wouldn't want us. 

The bloke is a moron! Which is a shame, because I really liked him as a player. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Is he still bitter about Liam FFS?  What exactly would we benefit from? 

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Makes lots of sense for the blue few and none whatsoever for us.  Rosenior never seems to understand Bristol football.

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

3 things with that...

1 - Who'd fund it??

B - Where would they build it??

iii - **** Off Leroy.

Couldn't disagree with any of you're posts . 

The man is a idiot...Why would we have ever wanted to share with Ragass Rovers...What could have they ever offered us ? I suggest the uninformed Leroy looks back to 1982 for a start when they tried to get the ground by the back door

• Like 2

Just now, kevthered said:

The man is a idiot...Why would we have ever wanted to share with Ragass Rovers...What could have they ever offered us ? I suggest the uninformed Leroy looks back to 1982 for a start when they tried to get the ground by the back door

We could have got that striker of theirs. You know, the one that Leroy told us all was worth over £10million! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cidercity said:

I think that is an understatement, have you heard his views on safe standing.

He's entitled to his views. 

It just so happens that just about everything he comments on is misinformed, small minded, politically correct tosh!

15 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

Is there an "oh yes" thread on the Vale forum similar to the one you had a few seasons ago ?

A thread to mark each of our defeats, which of course would culminate in certain relegation for us, plus the confirmed date of your relegation party for us ?

That ended well, didn't it ?

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He's entitled to his views. 

It just so happens that just about everything he comments on is misinformed, small minded, politically correct tosh!

I didn't say he wasn't, just why have we got to have them thrust down our throats by the EP all the time.

His safe standing views go against all the expert research and facts.

• Like 1

roverstillidie Avatar
roverstillidie
Reserve Team
Feb 19, 2016 at 1:48pm
RoverDrivebaggins, and 4 more like this
I don't know whether to laugh or cry...my guts is churning round reading the new owners comments. Things like this just don't happen to us.!!!!!

Yep they do.... and it makes it all the funnier for us!  :thumbsup:
Wonder if he's decided to laugh or cry yet?

Edited by RumRed
  • Haha 1

Fantasy%20Island_2.jpg

I can exclusively reveal that a project manager has been appointed to oversee the regeneration of the Memorial Stadium.

This diminutive executive is admirably qualified for the job because he knows someone who has worked on twelve building sites and was  formerly  personal assistant to the owner of Fantasy Island.

He has already been spotted on Avon Street pointing to the upper floor windows of a well known solicitors office and shouting "the plaintiff, the plaintiff"

Edited by bert tann
  • Haha 1

Well that is a classic. But also only a 12 page thread on the biggest thing ever to happen to them (so they thought  :rofl2br:) . We get bigger threads on pyros . Tinpot isn't the word

To be fair, there are lots of other threads on the same subject, but that was one of the longest.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Well that is a classic. But also only a 12 page thread on the biggest thing ever to happen to them (so they thought  :rofl2br:) . We get bigger threads on pyros . Tinpot isn't the word

They had dozens of threads at the time, some of them making very grand predictions. Obviously they were also desperate to point out how we should be shitting ourselves about the Worlds '6th richest club' coming for us. That's worked out well so far.

Idiots.

10 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Also, they have 20 posts per page where as we have 50 :clapping:

Edited by Tammys Scan

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Bored on a Friday afternoon?

Then take a journey down memory lane, when the UWE was a formality and Wally was a billionaire.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/5974/confirmed-al-qadi-family-takeover?page=1

You would think that they might look at Wael of Fortune's comments on the UWE and the timescales and realise that they are identical to the comments he is now making about Memorial ground.  

Also, it seems the origin of the "billionairre" tag come from one tweet and one transaction that the bank they have shares in completed. There are some quite sensible, lets wait and see comments on there to be honest, some of those people must be feeling quite smug now (or maybe just as disappointed) :) 

Edited by Port Said Red

:clapping:

The owners know.

An 18,500 stadium with other facilities will fit on the site.
An 18,500 stadium with other facilities was given planning consent.

They have most likely asked their stadium advisors/designers some basic
outlines of what can realistically be achieved on the site. Would these
outlines require any other considerations that were not taken for the original
plans.
Wael commented that the Mem site is exactly the same as that for Evertons 40,157 Goodison park.
which has a record attendance of over 78,000 !....imagine that on Filton avenue .
Goodison has housing right around the ground.

57 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Comparing there selves to Everton now . Rightly so seeing there bigger than Norwich. Bet they get 32000 tomorrow 

Sure to be a full house up the swamp tomorrow.

The bestest most loyalist fans in the whole wide world are bound to rally round their wonderful owner and give him a huge show of support after a turbulent week....

.....aren't they?

:rofl2br:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Bored on a Friday afternoon?

Then take a journey down memory lane, when the UWE was a formality and Wally was a billionaire.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/5974/confirmed-al-qadi-family-takeover?page=1

I liked the comment:

"Ha. That will set off the  82ers"

Well, we're still here. An even better comment was:

"I don't know whether to laugh or cry...my guts is churning round reading the new owners comments. Things like this just don't happen to us.!!!!!"

I expect he's now decided to cry

Edited by pongo88
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I liked the comment:

"Ha. That will set off the  82ers"

Well, we're still here. An even better comment was:

"I don't know whether to laugh or cry...my guts is churning round reading the new owners comments. Things like this just don't happen to us.!!!!!"

I expect he's now decided to cry

Be fair, he was right. Things like that don't happen to them. :rofl2br:

8 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Bristol Rovers FC 1885 1945 2015

There won't be room to get it all on the badge if they keep going bust and dropping out of the league!

It's like the last 2 times in 1885 that they ACTUALLY did anything - quarter to 8, quarter past 8....like a bus, on the half hour!

Over running somewhat, tick tock....

• Haha 2

This one made me chuckle....

Paddy Power got back to me with odds of 5/1 for us to be a Prem side by the start of 2025 - 2026.
Seems extremely low in my opinion, so I've asked for odds on other League 2 teams just to see if it's because we're minted now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, chowie said:

Seems extremely low in my opinion, so I've asked for odds on other League 2 teams just to see if it's because we're minted now

Superb. just effing superb