IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

11 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep - founded in 1872.

Clearly the oldest football club in Bristol.

St George may have been the oldest club but I'd argue since they moved to Almondsbury it's something of a push to describe them being 'in Bristol'.

Doubtless The Gas will continue to describe themselves as being a 'Bristol club' should they ever scrape together enough coppers to grass over a patch of derelict landfill on the industrial banks of The Severn.

9 hours ago, CiderJar said:

We have been in the league longer and are therefore the oldest league club. The Black Arabs was just a boy band back in the day.

An education for the saggy ones....

Bedminster FC were formed in 1887. Bristol South End were formed in 1894 and became Bristol City in 1897. They merged with Bedminster FC in April 1900 and joined the league in 1901 beating Blackpool 2-0 at Bloomfield Road in their first game. The club's highest-ever league finish was second in the top flight in 1906-07. They were FA Cup runners-up in 1909, and won the Welsh Cup in 1934. The club have also won the second tier title once, the third tier title four times, the Anglo-Scottish cup once, and the Football League Trophy a record three times.

The Black Arabs were founded in 1883 and entered the Bristol & District league as Eastville Rovers in 1892. The club moved into the Birmingham & District league in 1897 and then switched to the Southern League as Bristol Rovers in 1899. They were not admitted into the football league until 1920. They were placed in the Third Division South and remained there until 1952–53. They recorded their highest finishing positions in 1956 and 1959, a sixth-place finish in the second division. They had to apply for reelection to the football league twice before finally being relegated from it in 2015 having finished 23rd the season before, a year before it became a relegation place.

The best bits of that are not the first half of each - with all the dates and leagues - but the second half, listing the achievements during that time.

On 10/10/2020 at 05:11, Ska Junkie said:

sorry to anyone who has suffered from a stroke, you have my best wishes and sympathy but this is meant in humour.

121099913_2782619125339658_4452096942553665787_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=8RJrJ47maHwAX_TpDkI&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=3d215ea934d38c283268b16d9fd53504&oe=5FA91C68

As a person who has had 2 strokes, I see nothing wrong with this, just humour. In fact this is how my wife knows that I've been drinking too much because my right eyelid and cheek droop,  I don't notice it though :laugh:, no hiding the fact I'm getting bladdered from her now :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

Shouldn’t it have the Whatno Cup win listed for them? Just so we don’t get accused of inaccuracy.

Yes it should. I was danger of boring myself back to sleep. I could also have said about the fact that two English sides contested the 1934 Welsh Cup Final, ourselves and Tranmere.

1920 to 1952 though? Their formative years and all of them in the basement. What a side. What a bunch of Arabs.

Edited by CiderJar
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think we're talking at cross purposes. 

Of the Bristol clubs in league football, they are the oldest.

We joined the football league the earliest. 

As the older club of the two, Rovers are the oldest league club in Bristol. But they have been a league club the least amount of time

Sorry for late response, been busy.

Just to be pedantic James, you referred to them and stated "They are the oldest league club", surely you can't be classed as a league club until you actually become a member of that league. As they became a member nearly twenty years after us, that makes us the oldest "league club". Which is different from your later explanation of them being the oldest club in Bristol playing league football, especially as the oldest club thing is disputable.

I know what you're saying but, they've always claimed to be the "oldest league club" first and foremost, not the oldest club playing league football. There was a point in the dark days of 1982 when their head man Gordon Bennet described them as "Bristol's Premier club", when they were momentarily in the division above us, their delusion goes back a long way.

Of course, they could legitimately be called "Bristol's newest league club".

Edited by Rich
addition
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

They are the oldest league club.

They've just been in the league for a shorter time.

Thats not what you said earlier.

You were wrong.

Why not just say so, instead of trying to justify what you incorrectly stated ?

Over and out.

So are we saying that they are oldest shittest club in "Bristol" or just the shittest club in "Bristol"?

I use the term "Bristol" in its broad sense as for many years they didn't own jack, rented at Bath, looked to move to South Gloucestershire or anywhere who would have them before fingering the rugby club.

10 minutes ago, Swede said:

So are we saying that they are oldest shittest club in "Bristol" or just the shittest club in "Bristol"?

I use the term "Bristol" in its broad sense as for many years they didn't own jack, rented at Bath, looked to move to South Gloucestershire or anywhere who would have them before fingering the rugby club.

They might be the oldest, or might not be, they are not the oldest league club but there is no doubt, they are the shittiest league club to have ever used the title of Bristol in their name. Whether they were in Bristol at a rented ground, in Bath at a rented ground, or in a rugby ground which now resembles their first home at Eastville with it's conglomeration of disjointed structures, they are still a shitty club.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That rare occasion when the words Wael and truth appear in the same sentence.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/wael-al-qadi-bristol-rovers-4256317

That's a very long article that, which includes a lot of brown nosing of Wally and provides sod all new information. Typical Post article really!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fatchers said:

The Post showing its bias again. The blue third of Bristol will be creaming themselves over that.

The article was written on 23 June 2020 by James Piercy, the Post’s sports editor and claims to have received 189K ‘likes’, unless I’m reading it incorrectly. It seems that delusion is not confined to the 15ers. 

The article states “It’s impossible to pinpoint exactly when a deal will be "done" in the formal business sense but a more realistic timeline would appear August, at the earliest.” thus I think that it’s merely a reprint of an earlier article which contained a complete load of bollocks that has never come to pass. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

Seriously....... Garner manager of the week! Another open top bus tour will surely follow......

5FAF4AAC-3562-47C7-B671-6D1237944837.jpeg

It was a very good result, against a team that had won all their games up to that point (obviously with the help of the mandatory penalty & sending off) but I'd be to embarrassed to receive Manager of anything having just won only my 4th game this year..! 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It was a very good result, against a team that had won all their games up to that point (obviously with the help of the mandatory penalty & sending off) but I'd be to embarrassed to receive Manager of anything having just won only my 4th game this year..! 

Sympathy vote, innit.

Like the fat kid at school sports day who gets a certificate for 'effort'.

The fact most of his efforts seemed to be shovelling cake and attempting early onset of diabetes is irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Sympathy vote, innit.

Like the fat kid at school sports day who gets a certificate for 'effort'.

The fact most of his efforts seemed to be shovelling cake and attempting early onset of diabetes is irrelevant.

So it's no coincidence that my school sports day certificate for effort, has chocolate finger prints all over it..?! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's the attention to detail that's helped Garner get this award. Things like paying attention to the length of the grass on the pitch. Not because it aids his teams passing but so that he can warn his players how likely they are to hurt themselves as they tumble to the ground all over the pitch. 

2 hours ago, RedEd73 said:

Seriously....... Garner manager of the week! Another open top bus tour will surely follow......

5FAF4AAC-3562-47C7-B671-6D1237944837.jpeg

The media and Rovers excitement over the club’s form is ignoring a basic fault. Rovers have played 5 league games and only scored 6 goals. Three of them have been penalties, so it’s only 3 goals from open play in 5 matches. Unless Garner can keep the penalties flowing that’s going to be relegation form. I’d vote for him as manager of the month on that basis 

• Haha 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Rovers seem to have a hoodoo over Lincoln, they always do well against them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Rovers seem to have a hoodoo over Lincoln, they always do well against them

Not always!  I think it was after the play-off game - a group of Gasheads were walking up a lane near the ground, and an old lady stepped out of her back gate and belted one of them around the head with a frying pan.  Has to be one of the strangest "weapons" used in fv. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

Not always!  I think it was after the play-off game - a group of Gasheads were walking up a lane near the ground, and an old lady stepped out of her back gate and belted one of them around the head with a frying pan.  Has to be one of the strangest "weapons" used in fv. 

I approve!! Having been brought up on a Council Estate I once witnessed an old girl chase the local Tory MP down the hill armed with a frying pan....one of the funniest sights I've ever seen

• Haha 1

Roger Malone says it.....One Team in Bristol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4ZwznDHCrwc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17 hours ago, Banned User said:

Average attendance across the 2 clubs is 28000, they barely get 7000. It's closer to one quarter. 

Is that why they "prowedly" call themselves "da famous quarterz"?

Edited by Red7
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

That's a very long article that, which includes a lot of brown nosing of Wally and provides sod all new information. Typical Post article really!

I read the first three or so paragraphs and started losing focus.  This article is crying out for the professional services of @BigTone I suspect............?

8 hours ago, In the Net said:

Good job she wasn't with her grandchildren or she may have received a damn good fondling..! 

12 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

It's the attention to detail that's helped Garner get this award. Things like paying attention to the length of the grass on the pitch. Not because it aids his teams passing but so that he can warn his players how likely they are to hurt themselves as they tumble to the ground all over the pitch. 

They're probably still finding horse shit on the pitch and trying to avoid the slip ups.

On 12/10/2020 at 21:07, Rudolf Hucker said:

The article was written on 23 June 2020 by James Piercy, the Post’s sports editor and claims to have received 189K ‘likes’, unless I’m reading it incorrectly. It seems that delusion is not confined to the 15ers. 

The article states “It’s impossible to pinpoint exactly when a deal will be "done" in the formal business sense but a more realistic timeline would appear August, at the earliest.” thus I think that it’s merely a reprint of an earlier article which contained a complete load of bollocks that has never come to pass. 

Well, he was right.

August at the earliest - but could be June 2025, or more likely not at all.

Absolutely no way they will get a stadium on that site plus housing, plus giving AlQadi a slice of the cake.

So the new ground is a dead duck, the training ground is a tip and the current ground resembles a 1050s camp site.  As for the current squad, it looks non league and the manager has won 3 games in god knows how many.  The Chairman is a fraud with a nice watch who is more interested in Chelsea' they were losing thousands of £ a week even before the pandemic and the unwashed, contaminated virus spreading fans (sorry, rabble) number around 7,000 at best.

That about sums up their current plight.

The sprinklers may be championship ready, but everything else looks like somewhere between non-league or extinction.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

So the new ground is a dead duck, the training ground is a tip and the current ground resembles a 1050s camp site.  As for the current squad, it looks non league and the manager has won 3 games in god knows how many.  The Chairman is a fraud with a nice watch who is more interested in Chelsea' they were losing thousands of £ a week even before the pandemic and the unwashed, contaminated virus spreading fans (sorry, rabble) number around 7,000 at best. And they they still think they can laugh at us.

That about sums up their current plight.

The sprinklers may be championship ready, but everything else looks like somewhere between non-league or extinction.

Added to that for you.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

D77D263C-BD82-4B94-8F43-9CCF88F6F840.thumb.jpeg.b108ad5a6345adeddb0ed657ce04650a.jpeg4916455A-49AB-4959-95BB-CBA3568CCC02.thumb.jpeg.06d6b2c2c29ad73852a30c3b713125a9.jpegThe following has just been lodged at Companies House, can anyone put it into plain English please? ?

Looks like the director(s) plan to convert loan(s) of ~£500k to shares. Writing off debt in exchange for increased ownership/equity in the company, in other words.  

• Like 2

This loan to shares thing really doesn't make any difference at all, as the person owning those shares has his debt covered by the assets. What it does to the share value as I understand it, is reduce it. That doesn't matter either, if you own them all but, if you only own say 8%, like the supporters club do, then it reduces their value and influence, even if they had no influence on decision making. So, he could increase the shares by 100% and the supporters shares would then be worth only 4% of their current value. That's how I understand it and what has happened at AG over the years. Only benefit to the supporters shares would be if their value increased along with the issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but be gentle.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

This loan to shares thing really doesn't make any difference at all, as the person owning those shares has his debt covered by the assets.

Only if the assets are worth more than all debt, especially preferential...... Not sure this is the case at The House Of Tents.

Remember loans MUST have a repayment schedule, including end term (else they aren't loans.) One of the main reasons for converting loan to stock is when there are 'obstacles' in taking out replacement loans. Another option, as with Mr Lansdown, is it's a mechanism to ensure any 'investment' (sic) may eventually be 'written off'.

The shares are 10p each so this new resolution allows the company to allot 4.95 million more shares.

In June Mr Al-Quidi said he had swapped the Dwane Sports loan for shares in BRFC 1883 Ltd, which had capitalised the loan, but he hadn't.

When eventually the Bristol Post was pressured into confronting the club about this false statement Mr Starnes response was that they first needed to have an AGM to pass a resolution to allot more shares.

The AGM took place on September 28th and the resolution was passed but no new shares have been allotted to Dwane Sports and the loan remains in place as does the charge over the Memorial Ground.

We constantly hear that Mr Al-Quidi has saved the club by capitalising the debt. 

But he hasn't.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

32 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Only if the assets are worth more than all debt, especially preferential...... Not sure this is the case at The House Of Tents.

Remember loans MUST have a repayment schedule, including end term (else they aren't loans.) One of the main reasons for converting loan to stock is when there are 'obstacles' in taking out replacement loans. Another option, as with Mr Lansdown, is it's a mechanism to ensure any 'investment' (sic) may eventually be 'written off'.

Any preferential debt would be to HMRC or a bank, correct? As he's the main lender, I'm sure the tented rugby ground has a worth more than the debt owed to himself, which is an inflated self incurred debt anyway. So the only other preferential debt would be HMRC, if anything was owed.

An obstacle to taking out a replacement loan would mean having another party with a charge on the asset, so he wouldn't do that, would he?

The picture as I see it is, he owns all the assets and has spent money to acquire those assets, charged interest on that money spent and increased a fictional debt. It would only go tits up for him if the value of his assets decreased, which it would appear aint happening at the moment. And the day to day running costs increased, which is probably happening at the moment, which is probably giving him a nervous indigestion problem.

45 minutes ago, Rich said:

Any preferential debt would be to HMRC or a bank, correct? As he's the main lender, I'm sure the tented rugby ground has a worth more than the debt owed to himself, which is an inflated self incurred debt anyway. So the only other preferential debt would be HMRC, if anything was owed.

An obstacle to taking out a replacement loan would mean having another party with a charge on the asset, so he wouldn't do that, would he?

The picture as I see it is, he owns all the assets and has spent money to acquire those assets, charged interest on that money spent and increased a fictional debt. It would only go tits up for him if the value of his assets decreased, which it would appear aint happening at the moment. And the day to day running costs increased, which is probably happening at the moment, which is probably giving him a nervous indigestion problem.

Not quite. Although those you mention take first dibs there are other forms of registered interest that may take likewise (anything with a charge, for example.) Ditto shares which may be preferential (i.e. must be repaid first - sometimes distinguished A,B,C....)

Gas net debt is circa £25m and the freehold and canvas assets are worth nothing of that quantum. If they shut up shop today the present owners would lose money, same as us. Inflating loan fees to self advanced loans has no merit once net assets turn red. Revaluing assets likewise leads to capital gain, hence the reason we went a couple of decades not revaluing AG. You only do so when you must.

Business loans are like any other forms of credit taken. Most will understand it's a pain having to fill in all those forms when seeking a loan, credit or mortgage but there is a good reason lenders are required so to do. They first must assure themselves that the entity taking out the credit is in a position to repay. That doesn't mean there's no risk of non-repayment, (that's why charges, arrangement fees and interest rates vary according to any likelihood of default.) Rather, if one lends money in the clear knowledge the borrower is unlikely to be in a position to repay there are solid legal grounds by which the borrower may apply to have such debt written off given they should not have been placed in the position of indebtedness in the first place. That's what I was alluding to. Say Wael's loan (secured against assets) was expiring and he needed to borrow a replacement sum for working capital. It could be commercially difficult (or mega expensive, see their Sainsbury's legal borrowing,) for him to arrange. Should he fund himself and if there's little prospect of repayment then he'd be at the bottom of the creditors pile given he should not have advanced himself monies he knew he couldn't repay. They wouldn't be secured and that's good money after bad.

Some folks on here may be aware of the Loan Charge (Rangers players for one,) in which punters instead of taking a salary were paid (or paid themselves,) a loan - no tax or NI arising. The scam was when they loan came to be repaid it instead was written off. HMRC won a landmark ruling in which because they'd demonstrated it was obvious the loans were never to be repaid de facto they could not have been loans.

The problem most folks have in grasping the concept of large debt is they think it doesn't count, that it doesn't need repaying. It does and the latter is only true when the owner of the debt writes it off as a loss. Now if you're as wealthy as Mr Lansdown, having monies owed when one dies isn't such a problem as such debt and losses written off are a useful way to reduce any tax burden payable upon death. I fully expect there's a planned element within our creative accountancy that has included such thinking.

I also suspect the value of Wael's assets are declining. The property sector isn't great and with Government pretty much giving free reign on planning to developers in an attempt to boost the economy, if anything, freehold prices are likely to drop. Recall there's a shed load of land developers are already sitting on which they thought they could turn a buck on in a growing property market, so whilst short term house prices have held up (bouyed by lower end tax concessions,) that's all going to cease. That land under certain regulations now comes with a 'use it or lose it' series of penalties. Even Sainsbury's sussed that out when pulling out of the Mem deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bert tann said:

The shares are 10p each so this new resolution allows the company to allot 4.95 million more shares.

In June Mr Al-Quidi said he had swapped the Dwane Sports loan for shares in BRFC 1883 Ltd, which had capitalised the loan, but he hadn't.

When eventually the Bristol Post was pressured into confronting the club about this false statement Mr Starnes response was that they first needed to have an AGM to pass a resolution to allot more shares.

The AGM took place on September 28th and the resolution was passed but no new shares have been allotted to Dwane Sports and the loan remains in place as does the charge over the Memorial Ground.

We constantly hear that Mr Al-Quidi has saved the club by capitalising the debt. 

But he hasn't.   

In six months time that would be a potential cause for worry. But not two weeks after the resolution was passed.

Rovers CEO on SSN saying Leagues 1&2 will need £250m at least, now prem clubs apparently are reluctant to help champ clubs as clubs like us have Billionaire owners and should see their clubs safe themselves, should Rovers rolling in their riches be held to the same standard.....

31 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Rovers CEO on SSN saying Leagues 1&2 will need £250m at least, now prem clubs apparently are reluctant to help champ clubs as clubs like us have Billionaire owners and should see their clubs safe themselves, should Rovers rolling in their riches be held to the same standard.....

They need that money to continue the folly they've constructed these past decades. There is a much easier and cheaper solution.

Have the whole EFL enter an agreed CVA putting the owners at the bottom of the pile and start from scratch. Establish an agreed wage and sustainability structure. Not good for players, managers, agents and hangers-on but best for fans and football.

Handouts will only line the pockets of those who've ruined the game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

6th richest club in Britain apparently....that’s what their belter fans were saying. Talked about waving fivers at other L2 clubs fans when they came to the Mem.

Utter ******* pounders.

They don’t need any financial help, in fact, Rovers should be sharing some of their vast wealth around the lower divisions. It’s only fair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2