IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, Fiale said:

I still don't understand why they don't just make the Mem into a decent 12,000 seat stadium... If they had just done one end every few years it would have been all done now.

Because the Mem is on prime real estate that can be sold for a decent wedge and they hope that they can be given a piece of land for the project free of charge or paid for by OPM.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Because the Mem is on prime real estate that can be sold for a decent wedge and they hope that they can be given a piece of land for the project free of charge or paid for by OPM.

That sums up the difference between Steve Lansdown and literally EVERYONE who has run their rabble. He got shafted on Ashton Vale so rather than say game over he dipped his hand in his pocket and rebuilt Ashton Gate and in doing so has now put himself in a position where he will do alright financially anyway if he chooses. He also owns land at Ashton Vale that will have something built on it in due course anyway. That lot will literally wait 100 more years for a stadium if it means avoiding having to pay for it.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

I can relate to this.

Honestly, it was incessant during the 80's.

Before that time I hadn't been particularly bothered about Rovers. They hid under their rocks during the late 70's but crawled out when the wheels started to come off at Ashton Gate.

I didn't understand why they wanted to ram their dislike of City down my throat, but in later years a good mate of mine who is unfortunately a Gashead revealed the problem from his and his mates perspective and for me it highlighted quite clearly why the problem is actually theirs and not ours......

When we got promoted to Division One it was all about Bristol City, not just City but the prospect of having the best players and teams in the land coming to Bristol on a regular basis. Suddenly all of the newspaper main headlines were about City, the local TV sports reporting was City first, the main sports news and match of the day brought even more attention to Bristol City and for Rovers fans it felt like they were being bombarded by City related interest. They felt aggrieved by this as there were two teams in Bristol and they felt like they were being forgotten about. Even when they had a great result they were always pushed down the pecking order in terms of coverage and reporting. They saw it as a 'bias' towards Bristol City and became frustrated, annoyed, envious and jealous and took it out on the City fan base. In reality, it's no different from hearing about the Premier League nowadays and rarely hearing about either of our local clubs because there isn't a wider interest. It is why they always feel hard done by and why they continuously play the victim. So when the bubble eventually burst and we crashed down the leagues they reveled in our demise. At last we could begin to feel like they had felt, insignificant to the world of football.

This underlying bitterness and resentment has continued to fester throughout the years and every so often it rises to the surface. It happens if they win and we lose, it happens when something good happens for us (like the arrival of SL and the rebuild of AG and the club's infrastructure), or when we are in the spotlight (like the Carabao Cup run). Times like these are when they become extremely agitated. If they win promotion they're suddenly "Coming for Bristol City". They can't just be content with their own success and leave it at that.

Only a few weeks ago they picked up a win on the same day that City lost and immediately took to social media "Singing The Blues". They just can't help themselves. They compare everything to City as their yardstick. It really is very sad, but my god, doesn't it make them an easy target to wind up and rip the piss out of?!!!

Absolutely nailed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pride of the west said:

That's about the correct scenario, along with, not wanting to over develop the Colony, as adjacent land could get PP for housing, making the Colony more valuable.

5 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

I can relate to this.

Honestly, it was incessant during the 80's.

Before that time I hadn't been particularly bothered about Rovers. They hid under their rocks during the late 70's but crawled out when the wheels started to come off at Ashton Gate.

I didn't understand why they wanted to ram their dislike of City down my throat, but in later years a good mate of mine who is unfortunately a Gashead revealed the problem from his and his mates perspective and for me it highlighted quite clearly why the problem is actually theirs and not ours......

When we got promoted to Division One it was all about Bristol City, not just City but the prospect of having the best players and teams in the land coming to Bristol on a regular basis. Suddenly all of the newspaper main headlines were about City, the local TV sports reporting was City first, the main sports news and match of the day brought even more attention to Bristol City and for Rovers fans it felt like they were being bombarded by City related interest. They felt aggrieved by this as there were two teams in Bristol and they felt like they were being forgotten about. Even when they had a great result they were always pushed down the pecking order in terms of coverage and reporting. They saw it as a 'bias' towards Bristol City and became frustrated, annoyed, envious and jealous and took it out on the City fan base. In reality, it's no different from hearing about the Premier League nowadays and rarely hearing about either of our local clubs because there isn't a wider interest. It is why they always feel hard done by and why they continuously play the victim. So when the bubble eventually burst and we crashed down the leagues they reveled in our demise. At last we could begin to feel like they had felt, insignificant to the world of football.

This underlying bitterness and resentment has continued to fester throughout the years and every so often it rises to the surface. It happens if they win and we lose, it happens when something good happens for us (like the arrival of SL and the rebuild of AG and the club's infrastructure), or when we are in the spotlight (like the Carabao Cup run). Times like these are when they become extremely agitated. If they win promotion they're suddenly "Coming for Bristol City". They can't just be content with their own success and leave it at that.

Only a few weeks ago they picked up a win on the same day that City lost and immediately took to social media "Singing The Blues". They just can't help themselves. They compare everything to City as their yardstick. It really is very sad, but my god, doesn't it make them an easy target to wind up and rip the piss out of?!!!

:clap:

7 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I remember having to go to school the day after that dicking we got in 1990 - they all came out of the closet that day to make anyone of a City persuasion's life a misery for months on end so for that alone **** em.

Is there an odder-behaved fanbase in the whole of the Football League?  

Oh my word you’ve just stirred up a memory of how the school hard nut,  at the time , sought me out as I wore my city scarf in to school, the day after that result,  and I promptly got a kick in .. 

apparently he was a gas head but I never knew .. everyone else seemed to be from then on in,  so as not to get on his wrong side .. 

still don’t regret wearing the scarf in now as I knew we’d come good  !!

Edited by Brann-red

8 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Is there an odder-behaved fanbase in the whole of the Football League?  

5 hours ago, 22A said:

The season Notts County dropped out of the League there was nothing but glee and abuse on the Forest fans forum.

That’s not behaving in an ‘odd’ manner - that’s fantastic, good, old fashioned rivalry - why would you think that’s ‘odd behaviour’ @22A??

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

They're even upset Rosie & Jim are 'Shitheads'

The only thing that could have improved this is if the 2 puppets joined in with a chant of “stand up if you hate the gas”.

As for the developing the Mem point, spot on, they winge that BCC has done nothing for them (& still reckon they might in time ?) conveniently forgetting they didn’t lift a finger to help us, either.

In fact they could not have been more obstructive during the whole Ashton Vale saga & if it wasn’t for Steve Lansdown’s patience we would be no further forward.

I said it before, they are just parasites, they add absolutely nothing to sport in the area & I hope they fold. Blue “half” of Bristol ?.

By the way I have seen every single derby game since 1973, so don’t play the “it used to be great” card, either.

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Blimey, old Roger Milford refereeing too. I bet the Banjo lot offered him a bung or two. "Oh Rog, you're from our area, love us more than they gurt Ted's pleaaaaaasssseeeee".

Pretty sure that his daughter was married to Ian Willmott which surely would have brought a conflict of interest?

Edited by Gert Mare

3 hours ago, TomF said:

To be fair, Rovers have their own puppet.... Pinnochio.

In fact, as many on here know, they have several Pinnochios.

Porky pie-rats.

"20,000 locked outside"

"Fans of every club in the country love the Gas and reckon we have the loudest/hardest fans and the biggest away following they have ever seen"

"Wael's a multi-billionaire"

• Like 2

Let's not forget that big thread they had on their forum years and years ago entitled 'OH YES' regarding how we were getting on. Think their forum is pretty new now so it wont be on this one. 

This thread is big, but its because every single Rovers related post is thrown into it which is a good thing imo. Rather that than a new one every time they lose or something funny happens down there. Which is pretty bloody often. 

46 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Let's not forget that big thread they had on their forum years and years ago entitled 'OH YES' regarding how we were getting on. Think their forum is pretty new now so it wont be on this one. 

It was eventually deleted as that was a season where we started poorly but got our act together and ended up mid-table, whereas they started well but fell away and ended up getting relegated. What a bunch of plonkers.

6 hours ago, TomF said:

Here is a better version.......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gBlQuUYjEl8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Flames 3

22 hours ago, Brann-red said:

Oh my word you’ve just stirred up a memory of how the school hard nut,  at the time , sought me out as I wore my city scarf in to school, the day after that result,  and I promptly got a kick in .. 

apparently he was a gas head but I never knew .. everyone else seemed to be from then on in,  so as not to get on his wrong side .. 

still don’t regret wearing the scarf in now as I knew we’d come good  !!

ha ha simpsons GIF

This the fella ?

Edited by Major Isewater

13 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

:laugh:

"HMS Piss the League is pretty much at the bottom of the ocean."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/joey-barton-wael-bristol-rovers-5222982

“If I could go in today and cut surgically the cancer that’s running throughout the club out, I would. But I can’t because I need a period of time and a transfer window to do that, but it doesn’t mean I don’t understand the root of the problem that it all stems from.”

This quote from Jaily Barton stood out for me: “If I could go in today and cut surgically the cancer that’s running throughout the club out, I would. But I can’t because I need a period of time and a transfer window to do that, but it doesn’t mean I don’t understand the root of the problem that it all stems from.”

It’s not clear what he means exactly but saying he needs a transfer window to cut out their ‘cancer’ sounds like he’s referring to the players. What a lovely bloke.

7 minutes ago, BrightCiderLife said:

“If I could go in today and cut surgically the cancer that’s running throughout the club out, I would. But I can’t because I need a period of time and a transfer window to do that, but it doesn’t mean I don’t understand the root of the problem that it all stems from.”

This quote from Jaily Barton stood out for me: “If I could go in today and cut surgically the cancer that’s running throughout the club out, I would. But I can’t because I need a period of time and a transfer window to do that, but it doesn’t mean I don’t understand the root of the problem that it all stems from.”

It’s not clear what he means exactly but saying he needs a transfer window to cut out their ‘cancer’ sounds like he’s referring to the players. What a lovely bloke.

And accuse Tisdale and Garner of being incompetent. Nothing his fault.

So its today that the Johnson express comes into town, with Lee obviously breathing a sigh of relief that he doesn't have to brave the hate filled gasheads in their tents. 

I have seen a couple of posts that suggest that, even in a game like this, some City fans would prefer to see Sunderland lose, such is the deep seated hatred of him.

I'd like to suggest a scenario that would appease all sides. Sunderland win at a canter, even showboating in the last 10 minutes Joey Barton, incensed by what he sees as a deliberate slight at his management,  confronts LJ and lays him out. A mass brawl ensues with several red cards being brandished.

Joey is last seen being bundled into the back of a black maria shouting expletives in a barely intelligible scouse accent. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BrightCiderLife said:

Sounds like a psychotic victorian surgeon to me.

53 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Always been a massive fan of Lee Johnson and his style of football. Don’t let us down today Lee. 

Come on your* Mackems!

*unfortunate typo - but I’ll leave it in. 

I'm almost considering purchasing an ifollow stream so I don't miss any of the action. And I'm looking forward to the radio bristol post match calls already.

Just now, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

He’s such a good fit for those maggots.

Always someone else’s fault...

Well, we know it's not the recruitment. The guy in charge of recruitment said it had been good, and it wasn't his fault...

Oh , wait. I'm spotting a theme ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Like I say, whatever you think of Barton he has literally manoeuvred himself into a position where he can get relegated with no threat to his job and no real negative vibes from fans. Nothing that may go wrong from hereon in until the start of next season can possibly be Joey Barton's fault. He has that lot on strings - 100%.

The continual throwing of other people under the bus will grate on them in the end until he loses his job eventually.

On 24/03/2021 at 21:33, 77 punk said:

i think buying matty taylor was the best thing we ever did to hurt rovers, they had got promoted twice and were around the play offs in january when we bought him . he had scored about 15 goals and with 4 months left in the season could have helped them into the play offs.

The best thing about that is they actually convinced themselves that the "rosy cheeked lady garden" only bought him for us to stop them coming up. They still have that going around in their tiny minds. One of the best things we have ever done, and just mention 'that' pass to Korey and they really, really hate it.

On 24/03/2021 at 21:55, nickolas said:

Exactly this!! Non league ref bottled the obvious red card as it was early in the game. 
The certainly wouldve had a harder time with ten men. 
I almost think they’d have never come back if they hadnt had come up first time. 

They would still have won due to the 122,000 Gas fans roaring them on.

My god he is throwing the previous managers under a bus and ruining any future careers. If I was Tisdale I would be onto a lawyer for slander.

Whatever has gone before me has been negligent. If they were doctors, they should certainly be struck off for what’s gone on here before, but we can’t do anything about that.

1 hour ago, freezer said:

Just did a posh shop at Waitrose. 

Absolutely disgusted that they have an express checkout of their own! 

Then again, you can't blame the store for wanting to get any sags out of there as soon as possible. 

Screenshot_20210327_122655_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Most of us count the number in our basket using our fingers/thumbs.....for some that’s a problem ?

Edited by italian dave

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

So its today that the Johnson express comes into town, with Lee obviously breathing a sigh of relief that he doesn't have to brave the hate filled gasheads in their tents. 

I have seen a couple of posts that suggest that, even in a game like this, some City fans would prefer to see Sunderland lose, such is the deep seated hatred of him.

I'd like to suggest a scenario that would appease all sides. Sunderland win at a canter, even showboating in the last 10 minutes Joey Barton, incensed by what he sees as a deliberate slight at his management,  confronts LJ and lays him out. A mass brawl ensues with several red cards being brandished.

Joey is last seen being bundled into the back of a black maria shouting expletives in a barely intelligible scouse accent. 

Surely you mean an authentic French accent from the bi-lingual Mr. Barton?

• Hmmm 1

We're all Mackems today, irrespective of who's in charge of them, LJ or not. Must be particularly galling for the Fewers tho, given their massive love in with the Mackems last time they went up there....after all, the Fewers are the Mackems 2nd favourite team, right?

1 hour ago, Redsi2 said:

My god he is throwing the previous managers under a bus and ruining any future careers. If I was Tisdale I would be onto a lawyer for slander.

Whatever has gone before me has been negligent. If they were doctors, they should certainly be struck off for what’s gone on here before, but we can’t do anything about that.

It’s an appalling statement to make even if true and I’m sure the LMA will be getting involved. I know Pearson is in the bad books of some for signing Simpson but he could have had a field day chucking Holden under the bus but thankfully is professional enough to take responsibility for what he has inherited and to try and find ways of improving it in the short term until he can make his own changes.

• Like 1

Anyone else watching to stave off the boredom? I’ve gone deep undercover as I had to sign up to Sunderland TV to watch. My name is ‘Billy Sunderland’, a lifelong fan of the rokers (is that their nickname?). Gas relegation party hopefully rolls on today! 

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Anyone else watching to stave off the boredom? I’ve gone deep undercover as I had to sign up to Sunderland TV to watch. My name is ‘Billy Sunderland’, a lifelong fan of the rokers (is that their nickname?). Gas relegation party hopefully rolls on today! 

Black cats these days.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

You are a time traveler without doubt. 

• Thanks 1