IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

16 hours ago, CiderJar said:

They just can't help themselves...

Caption competitionScreenshot_20211013-053915_Twitter.thumb.jpg.204a9957c5581546fb9b583605a87abb.jpg

No wonder Chelsea fans didn't turn up in their numbers at the Mem tonight. There is no way the Chelsea Headhunters are going to risk mixing it with the Rovers firm. They'd probably carry razors if any of them had started shaving yet!

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, TomF said:

Not bashing them on that personally. The less people who turn up the better. God awful competition ruining what used to be a great lower league event, especially the potential of a wembley trip.   

Funny you should mention a Wembley trip because the other year when they got quite close to the final it was strange how many of them suddenly decided that the competition wasn’t a complete car crash after all. They were making up all sorts of excuses about why they would definitely go to Wembley if they got to the final (most used excuse was that all U21 teams had been eliminated by that stage).

I suppose when you’ve competed in a cup competition over 30 times and never won it whilst knowing that your closest rivals have taken part in half that and are the most successful club in the competitions history, you get desperate?

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

This is why Premiership under 21 sides were introduced into this cup. It's not about playing "men's level" football. It's all about showing the young players that if they don't work hard and train like their lives depended on it they could see their playing days expire in shit holes like the Mem. 

If that isn't enough to inspire the next generation of talent I don't know what is.

*premier league - it hasn’t been called the ‘premiership’ for 14 years - yep, call me a pedant, but it’s just correct to call it the premier league and lazy to decide not to ... apologies for being that guy ??

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Funny you should mention a Wembley trip because the other year when they got quite close to the final it was strange how many of them suddenly decided that the competition wasn’t a complete car crash after all. They were making up all sorts of excuses about why they would definitely go to Wembley if they got to the final (most used excuse was that all U21 teams had been eliminated by that stage).

I suppose when you’ve competed in a cup competition over 30 times and never won it whilst knowing that your closest rivals have taken part in half that and are the most successful club in the competitions history, you get desperate?

Yep @Robbored had probably booked a minibus and everything - he was obviously gutted when his gas mates crashed out, denying him the chance to drive their hordes to “Wembly” ???????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, CiderJar said:

Caption competitionScreenshot_20211013-053915_Twitter.thumb.jpg.204a9957c5581546fb9b583605a87abb.jpg

have a look the lad at the back showing his muscle with his fist clench with lad in the grey market £15 stone island hoody wrapping his arm around him.so sweet and good to see them come out the closet and be prowed sorry proud

2 hours ago, TomF said:

Not bashing them on that personally. The less people who turn up the better. God awful competition ruining what used to be a great lower league event, especially the potential of a wembley trip.   

Me either - happy to focus on their pitiful league crowds instead where they’ve yet to breach the 8,000 threshold despite not being able to go for 18 months.

Just want to say congratulations to Chelsea under 21s for winning their cup final tonight. Obviously they all want to play for Rovers, they go to the Mem, they see the fanbase there...and the pitch, they see how much money the Gas players are on and they all want to get away from Stamford Bridge ASAP and play for Horfields biggest club.

#Bartonlogic

#deludedmutants

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Sadly the song is true 'the gas, the gas, you'll never get rid of the gas' as most of their fans in this pic are 13, they will be around for another 70-75 years on average.

I wouldn't worry too much. You can guarantee that they've all got a favourite Premier League team.

3 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yes, I remember it. Didn’t they turn up for their ‘love-in’ bottom buddies from the North East, Sunderland?

I’m surprised that they didn’t go ahead with their open top bus tour of Kingswood anyway, like they did for their massive achievement of finishing 2nd in non-league football.

Being the most hypocritical bunch of melts on the planet they go from ‘boycotting’ to saying “Well this is different, it’s for the kids”……….Yes, that would be the over 50 bald headed tote end monkey spanking neanderthal kids then!

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Sadly the song is true 'the gas, the gas, you'll never get rid of the gas' as most of their fans in this pic are 13, they will be around for another 70-75 years on average.

I'm sure that pic was doing the rounds a few years ago so maybe 65-70 years, and thats only if they carry on going once their parents arent buying their tickets any more ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I'm sure that pic was doing the rounds a few years ago so maybe 65-70 years, and thats only if they carry on going once their parents arent buying their tickets any more ?

Kid on the left has this years England shirt on

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

That firm got together at infant school, they used to bash other kids on the head with their Sherbet Dippers

10 hours ago, big dosser said:

have a look the lad at the back showing his muscle with his fist clench with lad in the grey market £15 stone island hoody wrapping his arm around him.so sweet and good to see them come out the closet and be prowed sorry proud

And little matey sat in front of them with his curly quiff, hood up and also with his little fist clenched. The absolute gift ....

Is there really anything that could make a modern day professional footballer 'fall out of love with football'?

Well yes, it seems signing for Bristol Rovers would do it. Here's Josh Barrett.

It's turned out OK though for poor Josh as he's signed for the mighty Kings Lynn, where life's not quite so grim and desperate. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/josh-barrett-bristol-rovers-national-6058404

Edited by City Rocker

On 13/10/2021 at 05:41, CiderJar said:

You need to see them before filters were applied,or perhaps it’s better you didn’t 

50 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

You need to see them before filters were applied,or perhaps it’s better you didn’t 

Reminds me of that thread a few years back with that picture of some West Ham yoof posing in an alley with a range of rusty garden implements. Some of the photoshopping was amazing and hilarious - I was in tears reading it!

It deserves to be the classics that one. @TomF?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Reminds me of that thread a few years back with that picture of some West Ham yoof posing in an alley with a range of rusty garden implements. Some of the photoshopping was amazing and hilarious - I was in tears reading it!

It deserves to be the classics that one. @TomF?

Remember it well because of the Photoshopped images. ?

42 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

It’s a great stadium blah blah blah, you’d expect us to take 700, gonna be loads of Gaaasss in da ome endz” etc 

Really? When have they ever taken 700 up to Bradford?

110E8039-0E59-4235-8705-6932241BF698.jpeg

67019E2D-C39C-4EFE-9F47-2786BCF0CF87.jpeg

ha ha ******* *******

• Haha 1

I'm closet gas really. Me and 750 close GHS mates we're gonna go to Bradford, all making up our minds tomorrow night. Now not sure whether to not go or join the other massed ranks of travelling hoardes sitting on their hands in the home areas.

Really....?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

To be fair the Game we got promoted at Bradford we only took about 900 when most clubs would of sold it out for a promotion game and the season before that we only took 393 up there so we can’t really take the piss considering we were a league higher .

We can seeing we don’t brag about our magnificent away support do we that’s the point! We have average away support for our division and we try make out its anything but average! 
 Whereas these whoopers think they are gods gift to away fans!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

We can seeing we don’t brag about our magnificent away support do we that’s the point! We have average away support for our division and we try make out its anything but average! 

Agreed but if they do end up taking more than the 393 it just shows how poor we can be past the midlands 

36 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Agreed but if they do end up taking more than the 393 it just shows how poor we can be past the midlands 

We are poor once past the Midlands to be honest unless it's a big game.

The Bradford game was midweek to be fair, luckily I just 'happened' to be staying in Leeds that night with work. One of the benefits of sorting your own calendar. ;) Check what needs visiting, check City fixtures etc etc.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We are poor once past the Midlands to be honest unless it's a big game.

The Bradford game was midweek to be fair, luckily I just 'happened' to be staying in Leeds that night with work. One of the benefits of sorting your own calendar. ;) Check what needs visiting, check City fixtures etc etc.

Yeh fair play to anyone who travels that far on a weekday , I don’t think our away attendances up north will change much until we ever get to the prem and build a more of a football culture in the city . Too many people in Bristol would rather stay at home and watch the likes of Liverpool than travel and watch city 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

To be fair the Game we got promoted at Bradford we only took about 900 when most clubs would of sold it out for a promotion game and the season before that we only took 393 up there so we can’t really take the piss considering we were a league higher .

1 hour ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

It was on a Tuesday for us!

5 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

To be fair the Game we got promoted at Bradford we only took about 900 when most clubs would of sold it out for a promotion game

900 all the way up to Bradford on a Tuesday night is an excellent effort. People talk about this game as if we were 100% nailed on guaranteed to win it. Yes clubs in the Midlands who only have to drive for a hour would’ve sold it out but then we can’t help our geographic location.

Whether its 900 or 363, it’s still better than the 280 odd they took up there on a Saturday when they were in League 1....and they’re the ones who constantly bang on about their ‘massive’ away support ?

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

TBF it was MID WEEK, had it been the Saturday we'd have sold out no probs ! I thought nearly 1000 was ok, so don't be a sag apologist ,please !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, daored said:

Unfortunately for Bradford the home end will be empty now, as the hordes switch their tickets to the away end 

....luckily that will free up space for genuine Bradford fans who will now get to see their CUP FINAL!!!

Lucky, lucky Bradford fans. Hope they appreciate Joeys geriatric superstars visiting them. They’ll never see the away end so full. Probably lose a few players after the match as they cling on the back of the Gas coach screaming “give us a contract Joey!”

• Haha 1

We were mocked relentlessly on social media and football forums by other fans for our away support at that Bradford promotion games. Let’s be honest with ourselves, it was a really poor turnout for such a big occasion.

I’m sure we hadn’t been crowing beforehand about how we were gonna take thousands and have fans in the home end though. ?

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

We were mocked relentlessly on social media and football forums by other fans for our away support at that Bradford promotion games. It was a bit embarrassing 

Sadly Social Media is full of cretins. Whilst I personally didn’t witness this relentless mocking, I don’t doubt that it happened in some parts of Facebook and Twitter. But then it’s easy for supporters of clubs based in the Midlands or within 2 hours of Bradford to take the piss. 

The facts are that it’s 5 hours from Bristol to Bradford not including any rush hour conditions on a weekday. No train available to return that night. Bradford were themselves in the hunt for a Play Off spot so it’s not like we just had to show up and collect our 3 points.

I think under the circumstances there’s nothing wrong with 900 no matter what some slack jawed, dribbling ‘living at home with his mum’ Villa/Leeds/Derby fan on FB thinks.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Sadly Social Media is full of cretins. Whilst I personally didn’t witness this relentless mocking, I don’t doubt that it happened in some parts of Facebook and Twitter. But then it’s easy for supporters of clubs based in the Midlands or within 2 hours of Bradford to take the piss. 

The facts are that it’s 5 hours from Bristol to Bradford not including any rush hour conditions on a weekday. No train available to return that night. Bradford were themselves in the hunt for a Play Off spot so it’s not like we just had to show up and collect our 3 points.

I think under the circumstances there’s nothing wrong with 900 no matter what some slack jawed, dribbling ‘living at home with his mum’ Villa/Leeds/Derby fan on FB thinks.

Mmm thing is, Plymouth had a midweek trip to Rochdale a few years earlier in which they won promotion and they took around 1500 for an even longer journey. That was where some of the comparisons were being made and if we’re honest, it doesn’t make us look good.

I think it’s just like other people have said, we don’t travel well past the midlands but our away support in the London and West Midlands area is pretty decent.. (although obviously nothing compared to the hoards that Rovers take everywhere)

Edited by Wanderingred

6 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Mmm thing is, Plymouth had a midweek trip to Rochdale a few years earlier in which they won promotion and they took around 1500 for an even longer journey. That was where some of the comparisons were being made and if we’re honest, it doesn’t make us look good.

I think it’s just like other people have said, we don’t travel well past the midlands but our away support in the London and West Midlands area is pretty decent.. (although obviously nothing compared to the hoards that Rovers take everywhere)

But we are honest about it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

As much as I hate to admit it Plymouth have excellent away support and often put our numbers, and certainly Rovers numbers, to shame. Thing is, considering their unremarkable history they also put many other ‘bigger’ clubs to shame....no doubt clubs who’s fans mock EVERYONES support.

Its easy to fill away ends when most of your away trips are within 2 hours of home, it’s also easy to fill away ends when you have large numbers of supporters all over the country descended from glory hunters who ditched their local teams 30/40 years ago to ‘support’ the great Leeds side of the 70s or other formally successful top flight clubs.

We do OK, Plymouth do as well if not a bit better. Rovers (the most deluded of the Westcountry) seem to think that 400 here and 500 there makes their away support ‘massive’.

Funny little club.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Not being an apologist just being a realist , most clubs no matter what league they are in would of sold it out .

Really, based on what? What their fans say on Social Media? ?

I think you mean ‘some’ clubs “no matter what“ would’ve sold out...not most. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Really, based on what? What their fans say on Social Media? ?

I think you mean ‘some’ clubs “no matter what“ would’ve sold out...not most. 

Yes believe it or not most clubs would sell out a promotion game midweek or not . You can be a city fan and still understand our away support is pretty bad . Sorry if I hurt your feelings .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Yes believe it or not most clubs would sell out a promotion game midweek or not . You can be a city fan and still understand our away support is pretty bad . Sorry if I hurt your feelings .

Presuming you mean league clubs in this, I would argue that 47 of the football league clubs (over 50%, therefore 'most') wouldn't sell out a 10 hour round trip on a weeknight, even if it was a game where their club could clinch promotion. 

Not saying our away support is good, we all know that North of Birmingham we often struggle to take decent numbers, but I'm not sure you can use a 10 hour round trip on a weeknight, where we still took 900, as a barometer by which to measure it

10 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

As much as I hate to admit it Plymouth have excellent away support and often put our numbers, and certainly Rovers numbers, to shame. Thing is, considering their unremarkable history they also put many other ‘bigger’ clubs to shame....no doubt clubs who’s fans mock EVERYONES support.

Its easy to fill away ends when most of your away trips are within 2 hours of home, it’s also easy to fill away ends when you have large numbers of supporters all over the country descended from glory hunters who ditched their local teams 30/40 years ago to ‘support’ the great Leeds side of the 70s or other formally successful top flight clubs.

We do OK, Plymouth do as well if not a bit better. Rovers (the most deluded of the Westcountry) seem to think that 400 here and 500 there makes their away support ‘massive’.

Funny little club.

I equate Plymouth with Norwich - always travel in great numbers despite it being a hundred miles before you get anywhere (OK, it`s a bit less for Norwich but you get the point).

I`ve posted this before but a few weeks before the end of the season we got promoted there was every chance Swindon could have come up with us and Argyle could have been promoted from League 2 (neither happened obviously) - if that had happened, Argyle`s closest game the following season would have been Walsall!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Presuming you mean league clubs in this, I would argue that 47 of the football league clubs (over 50%, therefore 'most') wouldn't sell out a 10 hour round trip on a weeknight, even if it was a game where their club could clinch promotion. 

Not saying our away support is good, we all know that North of Birmingham we often struggle to take decent numbers, but I'm not sure you can use a 10 hour round trip on a weeknight, where we still took 900, as a barometer by which to measure it

I still think most would tbh , I just don’t think we can mock away support even if it is the scum when ours is pretty bad tbh . We may sell ok at Birmingham but even places in the midlands like wolves we really struggle for numbers , millwall for example we only took 600ish and it’s one of our closer games .