IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

35 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Keepers of the standard of Nigel Martyn? Basso was also grossly overrated - did absolutely nothing after C*ty. Martyn played for England and was recognized as one of the best keepers in the PL. 

I imagine some of your older contemporaries also wish they couldn't remember Twerton. C*ty took some real hammerings there and the 1989/90 season is still a source of real and obvious distress and even trauma for them. 

Trumpton wasn’t a happy hunting ground for us although the final visit there evokes fond memories when our fourth goes in and the commentator says “the Rovers fans are leaving in droves”.

But then you decamped to the Pisspoorial Mound and we won there three times in a calendar year.

20 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

I imagine some of your older contemporaries also wish they couldn't remember Twerton. C*ty took some real hammerings there and the 1989/90 season is still a source of real and obvious distress and even trauma for them. 

Er, yeah of course, we are all distressed by a football match 32 years ago involving a team that has given us so much humour since. It is as if an old comedy genius say, for example, The Two Ronnie's, cracked a bad joke in 1989 and we haven't been the same since. No, all the other great laughs they gave us made up for it.

I am not sure why you are still here, you keep saying 'it's only a game' or something then try to make out there is trauma from 1989.

Look, by all means support Rovers, they are your team, fine, no problem with that. Get them promoted, build a new stadium, get a manager who has earned some respect. When you have those boxes ticked (these things take time), you will have fair and good reason to try and be a noisy neighbour. Until then, to wind us up will be like trying to push water up a hill.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Keepers of the standard of Nigel Martyn? Basso was also grossly overrated - did absolutely nothing after C*ty. Martyn played for England and was recognized as one of the best keepers in the PL. 

Martyn was a quality 'keeper no arguments there. Rovers have plenty of decent players over the years. You were focused on Phillips as if you got one over us, but it's never been a big deal as we got the better 'keeper and moved on. Basso reached his peak with us and left at the age of 33 irc so I'm not surprised he didn't do much after. 

I'm aware of our record at Twerton, but I'm in my mid-30's and I can't remember any of it. Think about that for a second. 

I do have some good memories of games against Rovers and miss the derbys to an extent. Mad to think that kids these days don't have any awareness of them. You really are grasping at straws. 

• Like 2

I assume the reason that our @Deluded Sag friend feels the need, and indeed has the ability, to recall these little victories is because they have been so few and far between over the years.

As this shows, they have a 27.1% win rate over us compared to our 45.79%. It's no wonder we have more difficulty in recalling all our victories over the years.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Bristol Rovers/

3 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

I pointed out that he had no great affection for your club

As it has already been pointed out, the bloke was just bitter and deluded who thought he was the number 1 and should never be dropped. Imagine my shock that he had no great affection for the club he played for - you do realise that there will be many players at every club in the land who are in the same situation who have no affection to the club they play for?

I wonder how many players have actual affection for the tinpot outfit associated with your lot? Everything done on the cheap, ground is an absolute state and falling apart, training facilities, Santas Grotto, Fanzone etc etc, and to top it off it's ran by another liar who happily let people believe he was some sort of billionaire, he could somehow have bought clubs in the Premier League but chose your lot (after trying to buy Mansfield first wasn't it) and he would get you a new stadium. Instead you put out actual news stories to tell people you've had some carpets cleaned and "installed" more new stands that were bought from Go Outdoors. Then you actually carry this bloke down Gloucester Road like he's some sort of Messiah to show the World exactly how pathetic you are. 

Still, at least you beat us 30 years ago out Twerton or something, and some ex player from years ago doesn't have affection for us. Maybe look what you've actually achieved in those 30 years, a stolen Stadium that is falling apart with tents for stands and not got a pot to piss in, and a record spending fee on a player some 30 years ago. 

And you probably still wonder why this thread exists, self awareness maybe isn't your strong point is it. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 6

8 minutes ago, TheReds said:

As it has already been pointed out, the bloke was just bitter and deluded who thought he was the number 1 and should never be dropped. Imagine my shock that he had no great affection for the club he played for - you do realise that there will be many players at every club in the land who are in the same situation who have no affection to the club they play for?

I wonder how many players have actual affection for the tinpot outfit associated with your lot? Everything done on the cheap, ground is an absolute state and falling apart, training facilities, Santas Grotto, Fanzone etc etc, and to top it off it's ran by another liar who happily let people believe he was some sort of billionaire, he could somehow have bought clubs in the Premier League but chose your lot (after trying to buy Mansfield first wasn't it) and he would get you a new stadium. Instead you put out actual news stories to tell people you've had some carpets cleaned and "installed" more new stands that were bought from Go Outdoors. Then you actually carry this bloke down Gloucester Road like he's some sort of Messiah to show the World exactly how pathetic you are. 

Still, at least you beat us 30 years ago out Twerton or something, and some ex player from years ago doesn't have affection for us. Maybe look what you've actually achieved in those 30 years, a stolen Stadium that is falling apart with tents for stands and not got a pot to piss in, and a record spending fee on a player some 30 years ago. 

And you probably still wonder why this thread exists, self awareness maybe isn't your strong point is it. 

Yea so stick that in yer pipe and smoke it you deluded gas imbecile

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I assume the reason that our @Deluded Sag friend feels the need, and indeed has the ability, to recall these little victories is because they have been so few and far between over the years.

As this shows, they have a 27.1% win rate over us compared to our 45.79%. It's no wonder we have more difficulty in recalling all our victories over the years.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Bristol Rovers/

This deluded sag just typifies their pathetic fanbase.  Although they have piss poor crowds, all their efforts go into infesting social media with their drivel, rather than actually supporting their club.

I’ve seen a load of stuff on Facebook recently, where they just blitz anything related to City There was even a link yesterday for a job fair at the Gate, which just had a photo of the stadium as the venue, with no mention of the club and was just an advert for the fair.  

The comments section was completely infested by bitter sags, with the only reference to jobs being, they’d rather be unemployed than go to a job fair at the Gate!

They have the cheek to claim they aren’t obsessed with us, but still manage to find something as obscure as a job fair to spout their shit.  They really seem desperate to give their pathetic little tinpot club some kind of relevance, but are failing dismally.

Total bunch of arseholes and would love to see them and their shite club crash and burn.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

18 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

This deluded sag just typifies their pathetic fanbase.  Although they have piss poor crowds, all their efforts go into infesting social media with their drivel, rather than actually supporting their club.

I’ve seen a load of stuff on Facebook recently, where they just blitz anything related to City There was even a link yesterday for a job fair at the Gate, which just had a photo of the stadium as the venue, with no mention of the club and was just an advert for the fair.  

The comments section was completely infested by bitter sags, with the only reference to jobs being, they’d rather be unemployed than go to a job fair at the Gate!

They have the cheek to claim they aren’t obsessed with us, but still manage to find something as obscure as a job fair to spout their shit.  They really seem desperate to give their pathetic little tinpot club some kind of relevance, but are failing dismally.

Total bunch of arseholes and would love to see them and their shite club crash and burn.

Plenty of them came to get their covid jabs at the Gate though!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Plenty of them came to get their covid jabs at the Gate though!!

Indeed Italian, but not all! I heard of a couple who deliberately sidestepped getting their jab at AG. They would rather inconvenience themselves and potentially put their health at risk than visit our magnificent stadium in person.

I suppose actually seeing the reality of "Trashton", and having to admit "it's alright I suppose" would be too much for some of the Blue Few.

1 hour ago, Deluded Sag said:

he very much gave the impression he felt he had got one over you, and Johnson in particular.

He gave the impression that being dumped by City hurt him a lot. Do you like the girl/boy who broke your heart? 

I wouldn’t have been surprised to see him grab a microphone and belt out ‘I will survive’ in the centre circle.

Basso was Championship, Phillips was always going to be Div3/Div4 and, unlike Matty Taylor, never experienced a higher division after crossing the divide.

8 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Gary Johnson actually made it clear that Basso was purchased as competition for Phillips, giving the impression that he still had a future at the club when he chose to leave. Phillips also initiated his move out of the club. 

Indeed he did. He didn't want to join your poxy club if he could help it though...

In the summer of 2006, Phillips moved across the city to bitter rivals Bristol Rovers F.C. This was after Phillips made a "come and get me" plea to Swindon Town manager Dennis Wise through ex-City teammate Lee Peacock. Wise chose to pursue Petr Brezovan instead.

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

........ the club and its ethos. 

?

Please explain which ethos that is, the plucky underdog or the massive top 6 club? It seems to change from week to week.

Honestly, I am trying to do you a favour here, just stick with underdog. The Boca Juniors tag is too much of an open goal on here.

Edited by Open End Numb Legs
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

?

Please explain which ethos that is, the plucky underdog or the massive top 6 club? It seems to change from week to week.

Honestly, I am trying to do you a favour here, just stick with underdog. The Boca Juniors tag is too much of an open goal on here.

I agree, they are more own goals than open goals though, no real effort required.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Indeed he did. He didn't want to join your poxy club if he could help it though...

In the summer of 2006, Phillips moved across the city to bitter rivals Bristol Rovers F.C. This was after Phillips made a "come and get me" plea to Swindon Town manager Dennis Wise through ex-City teammate Lee Peacock. Wise chose to pursue Petr Brezovan instead.

I met him in Reflex nightclub not long before he left, he bitched about being treated unfairly and how he may have to leave the club, I jokingly said “just don’t sign for the Gas mate” at which point he made a face like “yeah right, AS IF” and that was that.

I get the feeling it wasn’t his dream move ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

On a separate thread, your fans discuss how Louis Carey, your record appearance holder, saw no reason not to cut you out of a deal and is apparently on less than ideal terms with the club. Phillips was similarly referred to as 'Flapper' by your 'fanbase'. Even Marcus Stewart, an actual c*ty fan, albeit one better known for the goals he scored against you, than for you, was treated pretty shabbily by your club after taking Phillips' side in his dispute with Gary Johnson.

Of course for some of our players, it is just a job. But many of our former players, including Jason Roberts, Steve Elliot, Nathan Ellington and Barry Hayles, still hold the club in great affection and some even attend games. Aaron Collins also clearly buys into the club and its ethos. 

I initially thought you were just on the wind up, but I think you might actually believe this shit you're coming out with :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Phillips also initiated his move out of the club. 

…because he didn’t have the bottle to fight for his place and he knew that Basso was a far better keeper anyway.

54 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

On a separate thread, your fans discuss how Louis Carey, your record appearance holder, saw no reason not to cut you out of a deal and is apparently on less than ideal terms with the club. Phillips was similarly referred to as 'Flapper' by your 'fanbase'. Even Marcus Stewart, an actual c*ty fan, albeit one better known for the goals he scored against you, than for you, was treated pretty shabbily by your club after taking Phillips' side in his dispute with Gary Johnson.

Of course for some of our players, it is just a job. But many of our former players, including Jason Roberts, Steve Elliot, Nathan Ellington and Barry Hayles, still hold the club in great affection and some even attend games. Aaron Collins also clearly buys into the club and its ethos. 

Johnson changed the culture of our club on the playing side. He then guided us higher than Rovers have ever been so I guess he knew what he was doing.

Ex players visiting their old clubs from time to time and talking about happy memories is not something that is unique to Rovers. Is this the best you’ve got? 

• Like 3

Philips Signed for R~~~~s on the Thursday before the start of the season because he was under the assumption that he would get a better deal. Certain People made sure that the word was put around the football world about Philips temperament and that's why other clubs didn't sign him. 

That information came to me from a former R~~~~s player who i know personally.

Edited by Barry Sheene

52 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Well done on naming 4 previous players who sometimes manage to attend games (they probably attend more than the "we'll watch them from the pavements" mob I guess judging by your attendances), and then well done claiming some other stuff up about other former players - when exactly did these players leave us? Maybe you should stop living in the past, but then again I don't think the future is worth looking forward to when it comes to the poor old Saggies.  Aaron Collins will buy into leaving at the first opportunity, I expect he won't be going for anything less than £10 million though.

Are you actually "Flapper" yourself? You seem obsessed with a former player for us (of all clubs) who couldn't take criticism and was rightfully dropped, and lost his place to a far better keeper. 

Do you want a list of former City players who manage to make it to our games as well for a bit of balance as I am sure many can be named on here? As I really am unsure why you seem to type all of your nonsense out as it's some sort of "gotcha" moment - it really isn't, and is just showing yourself up. 

You must be really living the dream, spending the last couple of weeks on a fans forum of a club you despise, whilst even watching our games (wow), and claiming all sorts of weird stories that nobody else has heard of.

Ps - I'm glad nobody has ever been thrown under the bus by the lovely Joey, sent back to their club or publicly named in interviews for being awful, I mean nobody would ever fall out with such a lovely man...... Bloody Johnson causing all that trouble at Bristol City....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

And turning up wearing "da faymuss corterzzzz" as if some sort of badge of defiance ?

I liked all the pictures posted on Facebook of Sagheads stood outside the stadium post jab with their hands in a thumbs down pose. But instead of looking defiant they all looked totally defeated with a tinge of bitterness. ?

Bit like they’d just had a major reality check of how far behind they really are off the pitch.

• Like 2

The facts are that Phillips had a massive issue with Gary Johnson, that’s no secret. But Gaslogic dictates that he loves the gert Quarters and hates they Teds….

What is it with you lot and players needing to love the club and it’s “ethos” whatever that means? Comes across as a bit needy to me. Players play for you cos it’s a job the same they do for us. Adam Webster gave his all for us. Why? Because it got him a Premier League move and earned us more Tilsons than your brain could handle not because he bought into the ethos.

Aaron Collins, your ex Youth Team player who you binned originally will piss off just the same if he gets a better offer…….it’s true!!

5 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

We should be careful though - they have an ethos apparently.

Have we got an ethos? It sounds important. I hope we haven't lost it somewhere. Maybe it has fallen under a seat.

He's probably thinking of one of the Three Musketeers...

• Haha 4
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Obsessed, like that belter who ran off to the Man City forum. Pleading for praise for their shitty little club. Think the reply was something like “ it seems Bristol City are everything you wish you could be”. 

Jealousy is a bastard 

I've said it before if Prince Harry was a football fan he would be a Gashead

Edited by Barry Sheene
  • Haha 16

I agree, helping to put up your abundance of tents for match days wouldn't of been in his job description.

Ethos. A club built on loans, literally. 

We have a long list of players with great relationships with the club. No club is perfect in it's handling of every situation Clint Hill being a nice example, add in how you treated Ben Garner or that striker who couldn't score Nichols. Stefan Payne called your lot out and you hated it. 

That fact you are using an asterisk sums you, cherry pick an argument and fail to make any sticking point.

Fact. Johnson achieved more then your club ever will.

Fact. Basso was better then Philips

Fact. You employ a manager with a history of violence but he vindicated because he loves da gas.

Please troll harder.

30 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Didn’t flapper save a penalty for us against them that essentially sent them down? Or am I making that up?

I think you may be right. I remember attending the memorial ground on a midweek and Scott Jones(?) having a late penalty saved which meant it finished 1-1.

They went down that season by a point. On the second of May.

Edit: Found it. Skip to the last minute. And enjoy the commentary if not the frankly bomb site “stadium”

Double Edit: That was the last league meeting between the clubs. You’ll note Mickey Bell at the end congratulating Phillips. Our left backs sperm has played at a higher level than Rovers have since that game.??

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Haha 14
  • Flames 4

2 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

You'll recall that the Rovers great brilliantly dismissed the former Cambridge reserve manager as a 'conference manager', which is possibly too kind as Johnson eventually ended up managing beneath this level. 

I don't doubt at all that Johnson would try to smear Phillips. In fact, its entirely what I would expect from him. 

You’re getting Marcus Stewart confused with @Robbored

Easy mistake to make but Robbos been to Wembley with Rovers more times.

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

As I mention in the original comment, Philips was backed up by Marcus Stewart, who achieved far more in the game than Johnson. You'll recall that the Rovers great brilliantly dismissed the former Cambridge reserve manager as a 'conference manager', which is possibly too kind as Johnson eventually ended up managing beneath this level. 

I don't doubt at all that Johnson would try to smear Phillips. In fact, its entirely what I would expect from him. 

Well, I hate to criticise a bloke who has significant health problems to overcome, and I wish Marcus all the best in his fight, but there may be a degree of bitterness from a striker who had clearly peaked in his late 20s and resented being told he wasn't good enough to play in the second tier any more. Nonetheless, Johnson was proved right and his subsequent clubs, after an unsuccessful loan at Preston, were lower league. 

5 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

And Stewart actually helped get Yeovil promoted from D1, which was the league you were in when Johnson sidelined him and told him he was no longer good enough. 

Stewart was always in a different class to 'bounce around the ground' Johnson. 

I hate to make you look stupid….

The manager who took Yeovil up from league one was Gary Johnson.

Marcus Stewart was not in the squad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Deluded Sag said:

Well, with all due respect, I think Stewart was proved correct in his assessment of Johnson, whose post-C*ty career was less than glittering and was last seen living the managerial dream at Torquay.

And Stewart actually helped get Yeovil promoted from D1, which was the league you were in when Johnson sidelined him and told him he was no longer good enough. 

Stewart was always in a different class to 'bounce around the ground' Johnson. 

But as was proved, not good enough in 2006 to retain a place in the City team. He was desperately disappointing. I'd have loved him to succeed. 

You seem slightly confused about MS's exploits at Yeovil. He wasn't at the club in 2012-13 when they got promoted to the Championship. In fact, he'd retired from the field by then. He didn't rejoin Yeovil as a coach until last year. 

There is one man who you've disparaged who was at the club when they achieved their highest-ever league position though, Gary Johnson. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think you may be right. I remember attending the memorial ground on a midweek and Scott Jones(?) having a late penalty saved which meant it finished 1-1.

They went down that season by a point. On the second of May.

Edit: Found it. Skip to the last minute. And enjoy the commentary if not the frankly bomb site “stadium”

Double Edit: That was the last league meeting between the clubs. You’ll note Mickey Bell at the end congratulating Phillips. Our left backs sperm has played at a higher level than Rovers have since that game.??

I hope we never have to play there ever again

• Like 1

On 21/01/2023 at 21:51, Deluded Sag said:

Rovers were actually regarded very well by the local community in Twerton, who were sorry to see them leave. I've always seen Barf as Rovers territory for this reason. 

Rovers were equally sorry to leave, as Twerton was the scene of numerous famous victories over ci*y, including the glorious 3-0 victory that confirmed us as champions of what is now L1. However, the 4-0 hammering will always have a special place in my heart. 

That isn’t true at all I’m afraid. I know for a fact the players had to do a lot of extra curricular work/appearances to try and get the locals and businesses on side. Bath was never enamoured with Bristol Rovers playing at Twerton and were quite pleased when they moved out. 

Edited by SBB

1 minute ago, SBB said:

That isn’t true at all I’m afraid. I know for a fact the players had to do a lot of extra curricular work/appearances to try and get the locals and businesses on side. Bath was never enamoured with Bristol Rovers playing at Twerton and were quite pleased when they moved out. 

Community service you say? 

“It’s what they do”

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It's all a bit embarrassing really this. 

The points being made don't even mean anything to us. Even if Johnson rubbed people up the wrong way, never managed above us after he left and had a goalkeeper that peaked as a mid-table championship keeper it doesn't affect what he did with us. He ultimately got us promoted, united a club, and nearly took us up again. It fell apart eventually, but it's very rare that doesn't happen at some point. It doesn't matter what he did after he left us, or if we punched above our weight as a squad, they were good times with lots of good memories. 

What are we meant to be getting upset about? I think we are all aware of the limitations that squad had. Hell Bristol Rovers would be thriving on the plucky underdog vibes grinding out results like we did for that first season. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

17 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Well I can speak equally confidently about PL football, if you would like. Just as you can, although presumably with less insight and perspective. 

You like to insult the intelligence of our lot yet you fall into the typical Saggie trap where if you say something it immediately becomes fact.

We took 40K to Wembley - you mustered around 30K

Aaron Collins was our Youth Team Player (until we ****** him out of it to Newport)

Best pitch outside the Prem - except Saturday

Best Goalkeeper outside the Prem (yeah, a few of you genuinely think that)

Marcus Stewart fired Yeovil to the Championship (even though his last game for them was five years earlier)

etc. etc.

• Flames 3

24 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You just couldn’t make it up can you? ?

You're not making he/she look stupid, they’re doing perfectly fine on their own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

No, its definitely Stewart, who made it equally clear he couldn't abide Johnson. 

I wanted Stewart to do well with us, more importantly he wanted to do well and that was evident from the pure emotion on his face after his first goal for his boyhood club at Ashton Gate.

Unfortunately for various reasons him and Johnson fell out, I’m not going to speculate why or slag off a bloke who is going through an incredibly tough time right now. That’s history and, like I’ve already said, Johnson guided us to heights you’ve never experienced and went on to manage in the Championship after leaving us….so clearly he did something right.

As I’ve already asked, is this really the best you’ve got? 

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

But as was proved, not good enough in 2006 to retain a place in the City team. He was desperately disappointing. I'd have loved him to succeed. 

You seem slightly confused about MS's exploits at Yeovil. He wasn't at the club in 2012-13 when they got promoted to the Championship. In fact, he'd retired from the field by then. He didn't rejoin Yeovil as a coach until last year. 

There is one man who you've disparaged who was at the club when they achieved their highest-ever league position though, Gary Johnson. 

Got to say, this Deluded Sag character is a bit special.

I’m starting to get this picture of some nutter in a crowded room and losing multiple arguements, who finally gives up and leaves the room.  

Next minute, they open the door again and shout “and anothing thing” before getting shot down in flames yet again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

That was the last league meeting between the clubs. You’ll note Mickey Bell at the end congratulating Phillips. Our left backs sperm has played at a higher level than Rovers have since that game.

Early contender for post of the year there SD! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1