IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

8 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Are this Conygar outfit going to build a stadium, and then GIVE it to the 15ers ?  

I don't think so.

Where is the MONEY coming from Wally ?

I'm not about to plough through their thread but as far as I remember the proposed deal was that Conygar bought the Fruit Market and then built them a, presumably freehold, ground with parking in exchange for the Memoral Stadium and surrounding grounds which Conygar will develop.

It may happen, it may not.  Such complicated developments on brown field sites tend to have fairly fine financial margins and they may end up wanting a balancing payment from Rovers.

Edit: part of my job used to be helping out on the financial side of complex developments, including land swaps and sales, and it could take five years or more before the first demolition crews moved in.

If this took another five years or more to begin to materialise I would not be surprised, or with the new higher interest rates and house prices (and hence profits) falling it may be put on hold.

The key feature to note is that Conygar has not bought the site, it has bought an option to buy the site.  Typically these are extended several times over.

Now it needs to make the funding work.

Edited by Eddie Hitler
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Are this Conygar outfit going to build a stadium, and then GIVE it to the 15ers ?  

I don't think so.

Where is the MONEY coming from Wally ?

Basically the whole funding of this scheme is dependant on the Memorial ground being redeveloped for housing, and all the funds going to Conygar. They will use that to build the Fruit market, as they have no funds either.

Cue uproar from residents of Horfield when any major housing development planning application comes in. You only have to look at the fun and games Luton have had with a similar proposal, and they actually own both sets of the land.

As it stands the Gas are celebrating a new stadium that has no submitted planning applications or even funding. It's just an agreement to explore the potential together.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

'Over the next few months, we will work with Conygar to play our part in creating a vision for the site'

They don't have a vision yet?

'........ in Nottingham City Centre – a mixed-use scheme for over three million square feet to include new homes, life sciences, grade A office space, creative market, a lifestyle hotel, retail units, student accommodation and associated public realm.'

Sounds like this company have built multi use schemes in the past to get the best return on investment, no mention of a football ground anywhere?

26 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Basically the whole funding of this scheme is dependant on the Memorial ground being redeveloped for housing, and all the funds going to Conygar. They will use that to build the Fruit market, as they have no funds either.

Cue uproar from residents of Horfield when any major housing development planning application comes in. You only have to look at the fun and games Luton have had with a similar proposal, and they actually own both sets of the land.

As it stands the Gas are celebrating a new stadium that has no submitted planning applications or even funding. It's just an agreement to explore the potential together.

I seem to remember that the £30m that Sainsburys were going to pay for the site, was a fair bit higher than it would be worth for housing. Add that Wimbledon's 9,000 capacity ground came in at around £3k per seat,  that would make their 20,000 ground come in at £60-70 million. As they are not selling the ground out and they are losing money a new stadium could be a massive gamble. The only way I see this going is, get outline planning. Basic agreed funding and sell up. Roughly the same position as when Wael took over, they just have to find another enthusiastic Mug.

This tallies with what I was told in January, that Conygar had told Rovers that they had to let them know this year whether they wanted to be involved in the site, or not. 

Conygar are obviously keen to progress things, and have a number of viable development options for the site. One of which includes a new stadium.

The option agreement will apply a bit of time pressure to Rovers and other potential stakeholders. It'll flush out the timewasters, one of whom could certainly be Rovers; as their statement doesn't say much. 

A one year option is interesting, as there's no way they'll get planning permission through in Bristol in that time period. Yes, they can be extended, but one year feels a little light and non-committal for such a large development site. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

From BBC Sport:-

Wael - “The council are pro investment. I see no reason why they shouldn’t be on board with us.”

How will you fund it? - “It’s inappropriate to talk about it at this point.”

If he is talking about the Council investing in their new build can you imagine the feedback ?
During a cost of living crisis, Council Taxes rising , can you imagine the responses .

56 minutes ago, chowie said:

A Company that is not BRFC buys land, so they think they are a tiny bit closer to a new stadium. In other news, man buys lottery ticket and is a tiny bit closer to winning the lottery.

Nothing to get excited about, look at Ashton Vale. I guess it's more of an advert for Wael to offload the club to potential buyers.... just like he went in when thought the Sainsbury's stadium was happening. Planning then the actual work starting is when they can start creaming themselves.

It’s the same ald bollocks from them 

Another company will OWN the land and the “tent huggers” will lease/rent from them 

Own the stadium YES but not the land. 

Look what happened to Coventry 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This tallies with what I was told in January, that Conygar had told Rovers that they had to let them know this year whether they wanted to be involved in the site, or not. 

Conygar are obviously keen to progress things, and have a number of viable development options for the site. One of which includes a new stadium.

The option agreement will apply a bit of time pressure to Rovers and other potential stakeholders. It'll flush out the timewasters, one of whom could certainly be Rovers; as their statement doesn't say much. 

A one year option is interesting, as there's no way they'll get planning permission through in Bristol in that time period. Yes, they can be extended, but one year feels a little light and non-committal for such a large development site. 

Probably more money working with Live Nation or similar, build a 4,000-ish indoor arena type venue, and milk the new student development for bundles every night of the week as they play host to those who bother a hit-parade on a number of occasions, the kick-back on that would be worth more than a few Fewers turning up 22 time a year to annoy people. 

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And then cue Wael: `The options didn`t stack up` `Cost increases due to Covid/war in Ukraine/cost of living/energy prices make it no longer viable` blah, blah, blah and the dribblers will lap it up and blame everyone but their skint, amateur ownership for it not happening.

Seen it all before many times.

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

And then cue Wael: `The options didn`t stack up` `Cost increases due to Covid/war in Ukraine/cost of living/energy prices make it no longer viable` blah, blah, blah and the dribblers will lap it up and blame everyone but their skint, amateur ownership for it not happening.

Seen it all before many times.

The real danger here, is that when it all goes pear shaped and doesn't happen, who can the Fewers blame it on?

It was one thing moving half a dozen Sainsbury's basic eggs to a different shelf, but it's an altogether different proposition deciding that any Fewer who cares will have to boycott Nottingham for the foreseeable. 

49 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm not about to plough through their thread but as far as I remember the proposed deal was that Conygar bought the Fruit Market and then built them a, presumably freehold, ground with parking in exchange for the Memoral Stadium and surrounding grounds which Conygar will develop.

It may happen, it may not.  Such complicated developments on brown field sites tend to have fairly fine financial margins and they may end up wanting a balancing payment from Rovers.

Edit: part of my job used to be helping out on the financial side of complex developments, including land swaps and sales, and it could take five years or more before the first demolition crews moved in.

If this took another five years or more to begin to materialise I would not be surprised, or with the new higher interest rates and house prices (and hence profits) falling it may be put on hold.

The key feature to note is that Conygar has not bought the site, it has bought an option to buy the site.  Typically these are extended several times over.

Now it needs to make the funding work.

So this is like one of those auctions that you have to pay beforehand to bid?

Essentially it means diddly squat then?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Why on earth would they disable comments on Twitter?

Elon Musk was worried about all the Rovers fans coming on to gloat and was worried it might crash the site.

• Robin 1

Ive lost count at the amount of times Rovers fans have gone nuts on news about getting a new stadium. Every time without fail the majority of them lap it up and a few intelligent ones realise that its not confirmed anything. 

Still good luck to them they need it to move on from being a leagur 1 and 2 yoyo club.

• Like 2

Just now, Open End Numb Legs said:

'The journey begins......'

When my employers used to say that, it was an analogy for 'things are going to be difficult at work for a while'.

The trick here for the developers is to judge whether including a football stadium would detract from the value of other options they have for the land.

Exactly. Sounds as if they'll be building homes there.

When you go and look for a home what questions do you ask.

What are the local medical facilities like, is there a doctors nearby?

Oh, I quite like to eat, wonder if there are any shops close?

After a long week in work, nothing would help me relax more in to the weekend than a couple of pints of relaxation-juice in a pub, I hope there are a couple of pubs or bars as part of this development.

Or, do you ask....

I'm being asked to pay a premium for some built-to-a-price box-ticking box, I HOPE THERE IS A NEW FOOTBALL STADIUM on my doorstep. There is? Oh, well allow me to revise my offer down by about 20%. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

'The journey begins......'

When my employers used to say that, it was an analogy for 'things are going to be difficult at work for a while'.

The trick here for the developers is to judge whether including a football stadium would detract from the value of other options they have for the land.

“The journey begins”. I used to get that whilst at work together with “It’s a development opportunity” or “It’s an exciting challenge” or “It’s a game changer”. I always knew there was a one word that summed it up - bullsh*t

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I hate to say I told you so….. but I told you you all months ago that Rovers new stadium will be at the fruit market. 

With all due respect Spoons, as some far more knowledgeable posters than I have pointed out this news isn't exactly saying that...

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Also worth pointing out we are now just over a year away from the end of the Mayoral model in Bristol.

After this time (& post the new Council elections in May ‘24) everything will be done via a committee system.

Whatever you think of the current incumbent it is unarguable that the new system will slow decision making down, and that’s before you get to the high probability of a Green majority council in the city, too.

The development of what was originally proposed to be the arena & surrounding area has just started but although they can try to portray this as environmentally friendly due to its proximity to the railway station, there is a lot of work to be done before they even get to a starting point here, no matter how excited their friends in the media might be at present.

59 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That may be my fault Will. Re-reading the wording of their press release (which is more contract than easy reading) I think the option lapses in 1 year only if they're yet to even lodge a planning application (i.e. have done nothing to progress their interest). Presumably if they get a planning application in, then the option extends in kind or for some other duration greater than 1 year.

As you say the PR is also explicit that they are exploring a number of options for the land AND the wording (given how precise it has set out to be - they are a PLC) makes clear they will only acquire if they have permission for all of those options. The room to walk away is significant and suggests they value the land only if they can guarantee several things they can do with it.

That isn't a ringing endorsement for a stadium being essential.

Edited by Olé
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

According to the Post, the requirement is that planning permission be applied for within a year, rather than granted within a year. That is a much less difficult target.

7 minutes ago, weeble said:

According to the Post, the requirement is that planning permission be applied for within a year, rather than granted within a year. That is a much less difficult target.

Still doesn't require them to buy the land, it just extends the option.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Ironic in their video part of the commentary mentions how important it was they were moving to the Mem in 'Rovers heartland', yet are looking to move into Bris/Totterdown ?

Where is their “heartland” these days?

Lockleaze? Fishponds?

Genuinely have no idea.

Certainly isn’t anywhere near the fruit market, as you say that’s Totterdown, they won’t have too many fans south of the river.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Lockleaze? Fishponds?

Genuinely have no idea.

Certainly isn’t anywhere near the fruit market, as you say that’s Totterdown, they won’t have too many fans south of the river.

Doesn't really matter where their heartland is, unless they live within walking distance of this proposed new site, they'll have next to no chance of getting to a Tuesday night game! The roads around there are double-busy from about 5pm until 7pm - and they'll have to encounter the clean-air-zone (probably). 

• Like 2

On 04/04/2023 at 20:24, redsquirrel said:

is that the same stretch that runs up the back of the dogs home? if so, when i worked at mototech, on a hot day at low tide ,it used to stink

Yeah, by Totterdown bridge where they have wonderful views of the recycling and waste depots.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Lockleaze? Fishponds?

Genuinely have no idea.

It’s more St Phillips than Totterdown, but still closer to a lot of City fans than their lot.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

It’s more St Phillips than Totterdown, but still closer to a lot of City fans than their lot.

Bristol Dogs is in St Phillips. Very appropriate 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

54 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Lockleaze? Fishponds?

Genuinely have no idea.

Stockwood is the only area south of the river where there are a few gas about. No idea why as Briz is 90% red. 

Edited by Shuffle

Ignoring the ins and outs of planning applications, the crunch will be money. It appears that Rovers may be given land to build a stadium (leasehold or freehold) and will receive money from the sale of the current ground. Whatever they receive is unlikely to be sufficient to fully cover the build cost of a new stadium. York City’s new 8,500 capacity ground cost £44m and Brentford’s 17,000 capacity ground cost £71m. So it’s down to weather Wael is prepared to splash the cash. 

This time next year a planning application will of gone in for houses, apartments, offices, shops, restraunts and bars on that site.

Why in their right mind would they want to build a football stadium that would take decades to get the money back in rent? Rovers would be bringing nothing more than their nomadic selves to the table, certainly not the tens of millions of pounds it's going to cost to fund a stadium there.

Wael isn't going to spend the cash, he barely provides life support as it is.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Ignoring the ins and outs of planning applications, the crunch will be money. It appears that Rovers may be given land to build a stadium (leasehold or freehold) and will receive money from the sale of the current ground. Whatever they receive is unlikely to be sufficient to fully cover the build cost of a new stadium. York City’s new 8,500 capacity ground cost £44m and Brentford’s 17,000 capacity ground cost £71m. So it’s down to weather Wael is prepared to splash the cash. 

As has been posted already I guess the answer to that is how much would they realise by selling the land in Horfield for housing.

I have no idea but seeing as prices in Bristol are high (falling recently though) I’d say a fair bit.

As an aside this looks like a reason they wouldn’t proceed with that “stand” they were allegedly going to have in place for the new season, I expect?

I cant see the Council granting planning permission for a stadium so close to the City Centre when they have been trying to limit the number of vehicles entering this area for years 

Didn't BCC turn down their own Indoor Arena plans near this site as the road infrastructure was not adequate

Edited by westonred
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

So this is like one of those auctions that you have to pay beforehand to bid?

Essentially it means diddly squat then?

Having an option in place on the land is the first step before you can do anything else, without this it couldn't go anywhere. This process is called "land assembly" and it's a big tick that this stage has been achieved.

It is however a very complex plan, more complex than the ones I have worked on and they took ages to come to fruition, and that the original discussions for this took place in an ultra low interest rate environment with easy credit will already be making it look less good.

Whatever the outcome it won't be quick and I'd say that it's a coin toss, or maybe worse odds, as to whether Rovers end up with a new stadium there because they are only a side aspect of the scheme rather than its core.

I'd liken their new stadium to a developer setting aside land for playgrounds or agreeing to build a community centre; that isn't why they're undergoing the development but it will serve as a sweetener for planning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Is there an artists impression?

Loves a good artists impression of da new Roverz stadium I do, & we've seen a few

This is the new ground as it currently stands in the planned design.  Though of course this is an artist's impression to get through planning and it won't actually look anywhere near this good when it is built.

candlestickaerial2.jpg

• Haha 14

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Having an option in place on the land is the first step before you can do anything else, without this it couldn't go anywhere. This process is called "land assembly" and it's a big tick that this stage has been achieved.

It is however a very complex plan, more complex than the ones I have worked on and they took ages to come to fruition, and that the original discussions for this took place in an ultra low interest rate environment with easy credit will already be making it look less good.

Whatever the outcome it won't be quick and I'd say that it's a coin toss, or maybe worse odds, as to whether Rovers end up with a new stadium there because they are only a side aspect of the scheme rather than its core.

I'd liken their new stadium to a developer setting aside land for playgrounds or agreeing to build a community centre; that isn't why they're undergoing the development but it will serve as a sweetener for planning.

Why should The Sags get free land? Lummydaze, the useless Mayor can’t even bang a few administrative neighbours heads together to allow us to use the LA Park & Ride for Bristol’s premier sport and entertainment facility. 

Nobody could argue that a professional football ground is essential, even vaguely connected, to needs generated by the development. 

My bet would be the developer merrily goes along with this until they get to an advanced stage/ have planning permission and then they’ll just dump the ground with the submission of further application. 

Only chance is if the City Council have some land holding essential to the development…. but that then comes back to the first question… why should The Sags benefit and not Bristol’s Ratepayers? 

8 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Why should The Sags get free land? Lummydaze, the useless Mayor can’t even bang a few administrative neighbours heads together to allow us to use the LA Park & Ride for Bristol’s premier sport and entertainment facility. 

Nobody could argue that a professional football ground is essential, even vaguely connected, to needs generated by the development. 

My bet would be the developer merrily goes along with this until they get to an advanced stage/ have planning permission and then they’ll just dump the ground with the submission of further application. 

Only chance is if the City Council have some land holding essential to the development…. but that then comes back to the first question… why should The Sags benefit and not Bristol’s Ratepayers? 

It's land at the Fruit Market site in exchange for the land of and around the Memorial Stadium rather than for free.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Nice

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

And then presumably they`ll do what most developers do and not build any of the stuff they`ve promised to

• Like 1

Just now, Jim Davey said:

Bumped into a couple of crayola taste testers earlier , done deal according to them 20,000 plus stadium on its way

They weren`t the same two that filmed themselves telling the world that they were now the sixth richest club in the league a few years back?

Unlucky da shit.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

And then presumably they`ll do what most developers do and not build any of the stuff they`ve promised to

Yes, taking the money and running is often the way.

The standard MO is for the devleoper to set up a separate company for each new scheme so that if one collapses then it won't bring down the rest; DevCo1, DevCo2 etc.  There;'s nothing shady or underhand about this as long as everyone trading with it knows that they are dealing with the particular DevCo and not the developer itself.  Meaning that if that DevCo goes bust and it owes you money then hard luck, you have no claim against the developer. Not nice but them is the rules.

A few years back I was picking up something from a house on a new estate and as I had struggled to find it because I couldn't see the steet signs I aksed when they were going up, she said that the developer hadn;t bothered to put them up and had gone now so they weren't getting them!

These were presumably private / unadopted roads so the council had no responsibility for their upkeep let alone the signage.

Where the streets have no name....

Edited by Eddie Hitler
couple of typos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

This time next year a planning application will of gone in for houses, apartments, offices, shops, restraunts and bars on that site.

Why in their right mind would they want to build a football stadium that would take decades to get the money back in rent? Rovers would be bringing nothing more than their nomadic selves to the table, certainly not the tens of millions of pounds it's going to cost to fund a stadium there.

Wael isn't going to spend the cash, he barely provides life support as it is.

This is what I am still struggling with, and why Rovers will have to put up more money than just the sale of the Mem to help finance the new stadium. 

And that's what I just cannot see, Wael and family committing many more millions into a project dependent on third parties, which may ultimately never happen. 

I'd heard that the family are already very nervous about supporting a top 10 L1 wage bill for Barton, and that is shown in their recently released £3.7m loss. 

The family are open to selling Rovers, and maybe a new consortium might be interested in part financing a new stadium. But there's so many if's and but's.

As with the UWE project, it's like a house of cards, and only takes one party to pull the plug and it's over. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes, taking the money and running is often the way.

The standard MO is for the devleoper to set up a separate company for each new scheme so that if one collapses then it won't bring down the rest; DevCo1, DevCo2 etc.  There;'s nothing shady or underhand about this as long as everyone trading with it knows that they are dealing with the particular DevCo and not the developer itself.  Meaning that if that DevCo goes bust and it owes you money then hard luck, you have no claim against the developer. Not nice but them is the rules.

A few years back I was picking up something from a house on a new estate and as I had struggled to find it because I couldn't see the steet signs I aksed when they were going up, she said that the developer hadn;t bothered to put them up and had gone now so they weren't getting them!

These were presumably private / unadopted roads so the council had no responsibility for their upkeep let alone the signage.

Where the streets have no name....

Factor in the funny handshakes and mutual back scratching that goes on it should be no surprise to anyone that savvy developers have the council on strings (to use a Derby County analogy).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You in the business, Eddie?

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As good as. The residents around there will be far happier with a resi use than a stadium full of bin-dipping, inbreds, or a supermarket. 

Just getting rid of the portaloos would be a win for the locals you would imagine. What must they smell like in August?