IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, CiderJar said:

Attendance stats; the last time rag-arsed rovers averaged over 20,000 was in 1958. All of those people from 65 years ago will come back if they ever get a decent stadium, fact.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/brir.htm

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/bric.htm

Edited by cityal
replied to wrong post!!!

2 hours ago, CiderJar said:

Attendance stats; the last time rag-arsed rovers averaged over 20,000 was in 1958. All of those people from 65 years ago will come back if they ever get a decent stadium, fact.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/brir.htm

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/bric.htm

Doesn’t this support that it would see an increase? The City stats show just 7,000-8,000 at AG in the mid-late 90’s, then averages of 11,000-12,000 in 2013-16 and a dramatic increase in average once the ground improvements took place and the team performed consistently in the 2nd tier… same at Hull, Swansea, Brighton, Blackpool, Brentford, etc really too…

• Admin
27 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

I will be very much in the minority on here - I'd love to see them scrape up.

The view of them going back down with a record lowest points total would be spectacular!

Get Out Of Here GIF by filmeditor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, WinterstokeRoad said:

Doesn’t this support that it would see an increase? The City stats show just 7,000-8,000 at AG in the mid-late 90’s, then averages of 11,000-12,000 in 2013-16 and a dramatic increase in average once the ground improvements took place and the team performed consistently in the 2nd tier… same at Hull, Swansea, Brighton, Blackpool, Brentford, etc really too…

Not sure those attendances are stadium related albeit a factor. Don't forget average attendances in the first division at that time were circa 25,000. The whole football thing boomed in the early 2000's with the advent of Sky, Internet, mobile phones, safer better stadiums, population growth...so many factors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Yeah that’s a real positive isn’t it… given he’s not their player and they’ll be losing him in 5 days time. 

946F5E1F-3020-4E7C-9F06-6BE6AF7046EF.jpeg

When he says 'goalscoring form', the goal was headed in from about a yard out into an open net unchallenged via a cross that came off the crossbar and wrong footed the defence. Coburn did what he needed to do but not exactly 'form'.

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

IIRC they’ve got:

Coburn (FW, Middlesbrough)

Balcombe (GK, Brentford)

Quansah (DF, Liverpool)

Bogarde (MF, Villa)

Gibson (DF, Everton)

I think 3 of 5 are regular starters

All 5 of them started at Shrewsbury.

For a side who had absolutely nothing to play for I struggle to understand the logic behind all of them starting in end of season games like this, but clearly (in his own mind anyway) Barton is some sort of football genius.

Cotts was very keen to point out (twice) afterwards that his budget was little more than half of Barton’s, the implication clearly being that as he’s finished above him in the league & taken 4 points from 6 that’s not bad for a “rugby team” who “hump it & chase it”.

You get the impression these two really don’t like each other, don’t you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not sure those attendances are stadium related albeit a factor. Don't forget average attendances in the first division at that time were circa 25,000. The whole football thing boomed in the early 2000's with the advent of Sky, Internet, mobile phones, safer better stadiums, population growth...so many factors.

Also, it wasn't the norm to get under 10k average - only 3 times since 1990.

We also had a period of redevelopment which saw us have limitations from 11k - 15k a few years ago.

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

They have a pathway ??????

Yeah, think it's the one we've see  pictures of that leads into their ice baths/bins, that has a huge trip hazard in the way thanks to the drain pipe that's running across it.

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

For a side who had absolutely nothing to play for I struggle to understand the logic behind all of them starting in end of season games like this, but clearly (in his own mind anyway) Barton is some sort of football genius.

Cotts was very keen to point out (twice) afterwards that his budget was little more than half of Barton’s, the implication clearly being that as he’s finished above him in the league & taken 4 points from 6 that’s not bad for a “rugby team” who “hump it & chase it”.

Neither Cotts nor Wilbs take prisoners, or BS, especially after the crap that that idiot has spouted. 

The fact that they're still held in high esteem here, also probably helps with their dislike of that lot. Both were here long enough to know how much "dislike" there is between us and them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WinterstokeRoad said:

We also had average attendances of 16k+ in our first spell this century in the second tier, falling to 14k during the final dross filled seasons before relegation back to L1.

As has already been pointed out, the ground redevelopment significantly reduced our capacity in the seasons you’ve mentioned between 2013-16. In fact in our first season back in the Championship Ashton Gate was the most full stadium % wise of crowds to capacity outside the Premier League, which wasn’t bad as we spent most of the season in the bottom 5.

In a new stadium Rovers would undoubtedly see an increase in crowds. If success doesn’t come on the pitch those crowds will soon drop dramatically. There’s no way they would average 19/20k like we have in the last two seasons of bottom half Championship football.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

We also had average attendances of 16k+ in our first spell this century in the second tier, falling to 14k during the final dross filled seasons before relegation back to L1.

As has already been pointed out, the ground redevelopment significantly reduced our capacity in the seasons you’ve mentioned between 2013-16. In fact in our first season back in the Championship Ashton Gate was the most full stadium % wise of crowds to capacity outside the Premier League, which wasn’t bad as we spent most of the season in the bottom 5.

In a new stadium Rovers would undoubtedly see an increase in crowds. If success doesn’t come on the pitch those crowds will soon drop dramatically. There’s no way they would average 19/20k like we have in the last two seasons of bottom half Championship football.

They seem to think that because they took 29k to wembley in the conference they can get that in championship.

I remember watching a City win a game live on Sky when Cotts was manager. After the game the presenters were pitch side, going through the usual motions in a near empty AG when Cotts joined them live for a chat. They all laughed and joked their way through a recap of the game, easy enough I guess as City had won, but there seemed a genuine, relaxed feel about the interview. The TV people must have known they were dealing with a character who was easy going and he was happy to oblige. It was just like watching mates chatting in a pub.

Contrast that with JB interviews.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I dread the day that Wally finally grows a pair and sacks the thug. The thought of them appointing someone who has even half an idea of how to manage a club is rather alarming.............................................

Not too worried here, I mean who has he hired so far that makes you think he will hire anyone decent in the future?

He ain't got a pot to piss in to get anyone with a proven track record - unless they are past their sell by date.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Not too worried here, I mean who has he hired so far that makes you think he will hire anyone decent in the future?

He ain't got a pot to piss in to get anyone with a proven track record - unless they are past their sell by date.

Hopefully. I`m sure the reason he hasn`t got rid before now is that he can`t afford to pay him and all the scouse mafia off. Either that or he`s scared of him - I reckon when he does finally sack him it will be over zoom from somewhere in Jordan!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Hopefully. I`m sure the reason he hasn`t got rid before now is that he can`t afford to pay him and all the scouse mafia off. Either that or he`s scared of him - I reckon when he does finally sack him it will be over zoom from somewhere in Jordan!

He may have fallen for all the BS himself. If he does sack him it definitely won't be face to face!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I dread the day that Wally finally grows a pair and sacks the thug. The thought of them appointing someone who has even half an idea of how to manage a club is rather alarming.............................................

He will never, ever sack him

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Redevelopment kicked in after the end of the 2013 season when the average had been 13.3k with no closures, and first season after full redevelopment was done in 2016 was almost 50% up at 19.3k so there’s a definite jump in those figures posted. The Hull one on the same site says the same:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/hulc.htm

as does the Brighton one:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/bha.htm

as does the Swansea one:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/swac.htm

48 minutes ago, redkev said:

I think you will find it was 40k ????

They went higher. 45k according to one deluded fan on that fateful day in 2014.

You also need to factor in the sheer amount of fans unfairly locked out which is somewhere in the region of 20k.

They are the next Darlington in waiting should they ever get that free ground that they are trying to scab.

45 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I'll bet they are desperate for Reading to be relegated so they can try and beat our away attendance there.

They will struggle with that as we always sell out at Reading whatever the allocation...they will probably have more in the car park tho to be fair....it's what they do !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

If this happens this little beauty below might come in handy for "Wally the watch". While it does not specifically mention cigars as a risk it protects against. It does say "Our lightweight, compact and well-balanced faceshields feature various options including flame resistant faceseals for applications with hot particles."

3m-versaflo-m-206-207-faceshield.jpg?wid

Edited by cityal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterstokeRoad said:

Redevelopment kicked in after the end of the 2013 season when the average had been 13.3k with no closures, and first season after full redevelopment was done in 2016 was almost 50% up at 19.3k so there’s a definite jump in those figures posted. The Hull one on the same site says the same:

as does the Swansea one:

Its kind of you to post those figures but unnecessary as I agreed with you that opening a new stadium (or substantial redevelopment of an existing stadium in our case) would see an increase in crowd numbers, whether that’s us, Brighton, Swansea or even the Blue Few.

My point was that we have maintained high attendances despite 2 relatively poor seasons and season ticket sales are again looking healthy for next year. Once the novelty of a new ground wears off the Gas crowds will soon be back down to their usual sub 10k numbers if they’re not challenging for promotion in whatever division they’re in.

21 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Totally agree. I recall that away match with swindle when they won the League in October, in the interview after the match you could see Cotts was seething. Fast forward to the return fixture & Wilbs coup de grace and Cotts celebrating. Luckily for barton 67354 I think Cotts has mellowed plus I also think that nasty bout of Covid has sadly taken its toll on him.

46 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Jesus F'ing wept ?‍♂️

I'm by no means Barton's biggest fan, but he's certainly more eloquent and intelligent than meathead Pearson or any of their recent incumbents. Barton doesn't do himself any favours in press conferences, but still comes across better than Pearson, who seems a bit of an unpleasant and sneering bully.

I've heard some say that for a perfect example of an unpleasant and sneering bully, coupled with being a violent thug with convictions and court appearances as long as yer arm, the person in charge (along with his scouse mafia) at that tinpot, two bit, chicken shit, tiny outfit in North Bristol fits the bill nicely.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

25 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I've heard some say that for a perfect example of an unpleasant and sneering bully, coupled with being a violent thug with convictions and court appearances as long as yer arm, the person in charge (along with his scouse mafia) at that tinpot, two bit, chicken shit, tiny outfit in North Bristol fits the bill nicely.

Is that how you really think of them ?

10 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

The BBC knows.......

Reading are 'playing for pride and the fans'

Reading head into their final game of the season away to Huddersfield on Monday with a dark cloud of uncertainty looming over them as they prepare for League One.

Williams says the Royals cannot underestimate what lies ahead.

"Some people might be saying we're going down to bounce back up, but you can be in League One for a very long time, and big clubs have been," he warned.

"Look at the league and you'll see you are going to Cheltenham, Exeter and Bristol Rovers and you may be being a little bit disrespectful.

"But then look elsewhere and there is Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley, Bolton, Charlton - all big clubs historically.

"This season has been disaster after disaster for Reading and it hurts me to say that.

Absolute superb. 

I'm very surprised he never said he can't wait to go and see his "second team" at the Stadium that had more improvements than Tottenham just 12 months ago.

3 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Jesus F'ing wept ?‍♂️

I'm by no means Barton's biggest fan, but he's certainly more eloquent and intelligent than meathead Pearson or any of their recent incumbents. Barton doesn't do himself any favours in press conferences, but still comes across better than Pearson, who seems a bit of an unpleasant and sneering bully.

Has he forgotten about Barton basically squaring up to an opposition player live on radio Bristol post match?? ????

41 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

The BBC knows.......

Reading head into their final game of the season away to Huddersfield on Monday with a dark cloud of uncertainty looming over them as they prepare for League One.

"Some people might be saying we're going down to bounce back up, but you can be in League One for a very long time, and big clubs have been," he warned.

"Look at the league and you'll see you are going to Cheltenham, Exeter and Bristol Rovers and you may be being a little bit disrespectful.

"But then look elsewhere and there is Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley, Bolton, Charlton - all big clubs historically.

"This season has been disaster after disaster for Reading and it hurts me to say that.

Beat me to it. I was just thinking 3 separate articles on the BBC website about Reading's relegation was complete overkill for such a plastic outfit. Then read this. 

Fair play to Williams. A decent centre half in his day and now, clearly, a decent judge of a football club. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, WinterstokeRoad said:

as does the Swansea one:

The 'build it and they will come' theory is great and could well apply to the saggy arabs, but they are consistently failing to 'build it'.

59 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

The 'build it and they will come' theory is great and could well apply to the saggy arabs, but they are consistently failing to 'build it'.

Build it and I’ve no doubt most of the 15ers will come (which will, at least, give their sisters a rest). 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CiderJar said:

But at the same time, how much floating support is there to be mopped up still?

I get the mythical 40-bazillion at Wembley, but that was just day trippers, if they get a new stadium, they'll have to move their marketing machine in to overdrive to get any traction, and that would only be possible by targeting the armchair supporters and Sky subscribers, to do that they would need to offer a very competitive deal, and to keep them a really competitive season ticket deal.

Do they advertise at the moment (haven't seen them on Sky Sports flogging tickets), and do over half of their regular support have season tickets, probably not. 

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

But at the same time, how much floating support is there to be mopped up still?

I get the mythical 40-bazillion at Wembley, but that was just day trippers, if they get a new stadium, they'll have to move their marketing machine in to overdrive to get any traction, and that would only be possible by targeting the armchair supporters and Sky subscribers, to do that they would need to offer a very competitive deal, and to keep them a really competitive season ticket deal.

Do they advertise at the moment (haven't seen them on Sky Sports flogging tickets), and do over half of their regular support have season tickets, probably not. 

The other 70 EFL clubs will be bricking it, as the methane snorters keep insisting they are everyone’s second favourite team, as soon as the Cabbage Patch gets built (it won’t btw) the other fans will swap allegiance immediately so there will still be thousands locked out each match.

3 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

The BBC knows.......

Is he saying Rovers aren't one of the Big 6 then?

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Oh come on, surely anyone can make a mistake

article-0-0D6B916C00000578-975_468x361.j

mistake

Joey-Barton-fight.jpg

mistake

BARTONbeach-752x440.jpg

mistake

6a0128773aba66970c013486683578970c-800wi

mistake

Joey-Barton-fighting-on-a-night-out.jpg

every once in a while.

In the 3rd picture, some poor chap seems to be heading out to the sea for his daily cold water swim in the quiet of an empty ocean and all of a sudden gets caught up in a scrap by 3 hooligans. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

In the 3rd picture, some poor chap seems to be heading out to the sea for his daily cold water swim in the quiet of an empty ocean and all of a sudden gets caught up in a scrap by 3 hooligans. 

I think that was in Newquay.

Nice, laid back, friendly place.

Until Joey Bag and his mates turned up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

In the 3rd picture, some poor chap seems to be heading out to the sea for his daily cold water swim in the quiet of an empty ocean and all of a sudden gets caught up in a scrap by 3 hooligans

Our Manager, our Head of Football Operations and our Chief Scout. 

• Haha 1

Back in November their CEO wrote this: 'As all supporters will be aware, at the start of this season, we received a capacity reduction due to incidents at the end of last season, so these actions were required to mitigate future sanctions. This action resulted in a maximum capacity of 9,832.'

Yet I see they are now crowing about having a crowd of over 10k for this weekend (for the first time since 2019 apparently...)

How can they reduce the capacity to 9.8k and yet fit 10k in there when it pleases them once a season?

Edited by JBFC II

9 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Back in November their CEO wrote this: 'As all supporters will be aware, at the start of this season, we received a capacity reduction due to incidents at the end of last season, so these actions were required to mitigate future sanctions. This action resulted in a maximum capacity of 9,832.'

Yet I see they are now crowing about having a crowd of over 10k for this weekend (for the first time since 2019 apparently...)

How can they reduce the capacity to 9.8k and yet fit 10k in there when it pleases them once a season?

A big screen in the car park for the 20k that will be out there? Or are Bolton beaming it back to the Reebok and they`re counting the ones that go to that too?

#itswhattheydo

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

The BBC knows.......

So I take it that going to the Slumorial won’t be Reading’s Cup Final next year?

45,000 to Wembley and the 6th richest club in this country!

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gert Mare said:

So I take it that going to the Slumorial won’t be Reading’s Cup Final next year?

You can say that again!

34 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

You can say that again!

One can never get tired of these things!

The Sags had their annual Dean Windass get together last night. Holloway was there this time for the cock tugging fest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

The Sags had their annual Dean Windass get together last night. Holloway was there this time for the cock tugging fest.

What small time losers they are.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Weird isn't it that their biggest draw is a fella who never played for them.

At least we got Colin Daniels a bottle of something fizzy and then left him alone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Good news.

The Fewers have a new worry in their quest to fret about attendance figures.

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/21051/womens-sport

They are fearful that the Vixens might be challenging them for numbers.

Some paranoid little bunnies there ?

They’re already the 3rd best supported sports club in this City and could possibly be 4th IF they have a poor season and their fans forget where the Mem is.

Don’t think it’ll happen, they’ll be saved by bigger clubs away support for a start but imagine how embarrassing it WOULD be if the women actually did average the same or more? 

7 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Some paranoid little bunnies there ?

They’re already the 3rd best supported sports club in this City and could possibly be 4th IF they have a poor season and their fans forget where the Mem is.

Don’t think it’ll happen, they’ll be saved by bigger clubs away support for a start but imagine how embarrassing it WOULD be if the women actually did average the same or more? 

That won't happen as they get 10,000 every week according to Joey, and they will sell out the invisible stadium once it gets built.

22 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Jesus F'ing wept ?‍♂️

Wtf have I just read ??

23 hours ago, Swede said:

Totally agree. I recall that away match with swindle when they won the League in October, in the interview after the match you could see Cotts was seething. Fast forward to the return fixture & Wilbs coup de grace and Cotts celebrating. Luckily for barton 67354 I think Cotts has mellowed plus I also think that nasty bout of Covid has sadly taken its toll on him.

Spot on agree with all of the above , 

still love teasing swindle fans how they won the league in October but we won it when it counted in May 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

That just underpins everything that is wrong with that club. They are so obsessed with Bristol City. To regale a player in that manner who has no connection whatsoever with their club other than he scored against a rival.  The fact that skeletor was there is a stark reminder to all that that odius prig has no interest in Bristol sport as a whole despite what he may say publicly.

Small minded and totally tinpot.

What a bunch of wierdos.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1