IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

No team that plays in red would ever play in blue, or vice versa, that would be ridiculous ?

Really?

I seem to remember Man U and Arsenal playing in blue.

They didn't think it was so rediculous.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Really?

I seem to remember Man U and Arsenal playing in blue.

They didn't think it was so rediculous.

Think that might be a bit of a whoosh, but then again your legendary status as the progenitor of this thread all 3163 pages ago affords you no small degree of immunity 

Edited by Porto Red
Can't count
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

Think that might be a bit of a whoosh, but then again your legendary status as the progenitor of this thread all 3163 pages ago affords you no small degree of immunity 

Awww thanks.

Fair enough, but I don't get the whoosh...maybe the Pussers kicking in.

Can someone please explain?

Ta

On 12/05/2023 at 23:07, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Just a reminder of the 2 stands opened in Bristol during the Summer of 2016.

Mind the Gap.

RIP Tent End, we’ll never forget you. ?

9A99A0BD-B1FC-4318-A2A5-5A3A44890D05.jpeg

What's the difference, sag? 

The top one has a Row M

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Are they selling Season Tickets for this new stand yet? That wouldn't have disaster potential at all if they were!

I thought I read that it will be for away fans aswell with a moveable barrier depending on the size of the away support so they would struggle to sell season tickets with that senario wouldn't they. They are banking on bigger away numbers to boost their crowds as they rarely sell out their home tickets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I thought I read that it will be for away fans aswell with a moveable barrier depending on the size of the away support so they would struggle to sell season tickets with that senario wouldn't they. They are banking on bigger away numbers to boost their crowds as they rarely sell out their home tickets.

Well, they`ve lost two clubs that bring huge support in Plymouth & Ipswich along with possibly one of Owls (unlikely) or Bolton. They`ve also lost a local derby with FGR. I can`t see Wigan or Blackpool bringing huge amounts, Reading perhaps. None of the sides coming up will travel in huge numbers to a middling League One fixture either. Away support will be well down on this season IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Well, they`ve lost two clubs that bring huge support in Plymouth & Ipswich along with possibly one of Owls (unlikely) or Bolton. They`ve also lost a local derby with FGR. I can`t see Wigan or Blackpool bringing huge amounts, Reading perhaps. None of the sides coming up will travel in huge numbers to a middling League One fixture either. Away support will be well down on this season IMO.

Just about to say exactly that.
Not sure I understand the reasoning behind the "new stand" , unless. They are trying to prove (hope)  they will get bigger attendances by improving the Mem slightly. Then they can Bullshit potential new owners about "build it and they will come" nonsense .

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I used to drink in there every night of the week, back when Pam had it. Met my wife in there!

What are your thoughts on the latest plans at Rovers? Is it right to build a new stand as a plan B or should they go all in at the FM? If the FM doesn't work out then building such a basic structure might turn out to be short sighted and the club falls down on both plans? Does it concern the fans that Wael has taken out a loan for this?

On 14/05/2023 at 08:47, 42nite said:

Can't imagine many away fans dream is to see the Memorial Ground.

Unless it's for the comedy factor or to check if all the rumours are actually true.

I worked with a long time Plymouth season ticket holder who went with his mates to one away game every year to make a weekend of it.

I can't remember who was promoted or relegated but one season Rovers and Plymouth were in the same division for the first time in a few years so I asked if that was going to be their choice this season given its proximity.

He said that it was actually the first one they had ruled out because of the terrible facilities for away fans.

Having a poor ground does actually cost the club money, I do wonder if that's a reason for their relatively high away attendances as compared to their home attendances: the ground's stands and facilities are so poor that even a chunk of their own fans avoid it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

What are your thoughts on the latest plans at Rovers? Is it right to build a new stand as a plan B or should they go all in at the FM? If the FM doesn't work out then building such a basic structure might turn out to be short sighted and the club falls down on both plans? Does it concern the fans that Wael has taken out a loan for this?

While I obviously want to see Rovers be as successful as possible, I long, long, long ago stopped worrying about the behind the scenes stuff.  I like being able to stand up at The Mem, I like our ground being near Gloucester Road and I like that- at the moment- we are a relatively entertaining side to watch. I'm sure many will cry 'typical lack of ambition' but football is nowhere near as important to me as it was years ago, having a good day out is my priority :)

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I worked with a long time Plymouth season ticket holder who went with his mates to one away game every year to make a weekend of it.

I can't remember who was promoted or relegated but one season Rovers and Plymouth were in the same division for the first time in a few years so I asked if that was going to be their choice this season given its proximity.

He said that it was actually the first one they had ruled out because of the terrible facilities for away fans.

Having a poor ground does actually cost the club money, I do wonder if that's a reason for their relatively high away attendances as compared to their home attendances: the ground's stands and facilities are so poor that even a chunk of their own fans avoid it.

You make a good point. I know at least 7 so-called "hardcore" Gasheads in my local area: none of them attends the Mem, but occasionally they might make a journey for a "big" match elsewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if you surveyed everyone who said they were a City or Rovers fan, that the numbers were slightly more even than attendances suggest - not equivalent - but a much smaller fraction of the 15ers actually watches live football, and, as I've noted elsewhere, we're actually picking up younger fans and new-to-Bristol fans in a way they can't.  Can you imagine anything more depressing for a neutral than a trip to that foetid swamp?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I used to drink in there every night of the week, back when Pam had it. Met my wife in there!

Good pub that, haven't been in for a few years, I remember there used to be an old chap (I say old,but probably younger than me) Nick(?) a "residen"t of Stoke/Manor Park,he was always good value !

10 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Good pub that, haven't been in for a few years, I remember there used to be an old chap (I say old,but probably younger than me) Nick(?) a "residen"t of Stoke/Manor Park,he was always good value !

There were a few residents who used to go in there, Denis and Steve the punk I particularly remember. I used to go there from around 1981 to 1990.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

You make a good point. I know at least 7 so-called "hardcore" Gasheads in my local area: none of them attends the Mem, but occasionally they might make a journey for a "big" match elsewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if you surveyed everyone who said they were a City or Rovers fan, that the numbers were slightly more even than attendances suggest - not equivalent - but a much smaller fraction of the 15ers actually watches live football, and, as I've noted elsewhere, we're actually picking up younger fans and new-to-Bristol fans in a way they can't.  Can you imagine anything more depressing for a neutral than a trip to that foetid swamp?

I'm sure it would put you off.

I remember an evening game at the Goldstone, Brighton's old ground, where it was crumbling. Seal scored.

Whole sections of the terraces were cordoned off for safety reasons and the toilets were literally half an inch deep in piss.

Even had they not knocked it down I would never have gone back.

These things do matter, I've mentioned having a season one time at Fulham standing on the great terrace behind the goal with its roof and looking at the unroofed away terrace. That just seemed rude.

In a later season, 1998 maybe, I watched City play there in the rain but decided to watch from the dry comfort of the home terrace.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm sure it would put you off.

I remember an evening game at the Goldstone, Brighton's old ground, where it was crumbling. Seal scored.

Whole sections of the terraces were cordoned off for safety reasons and the toilets were literally half an inch deep in piss.

Even had they not knocked it down I would never have gone back.

These things do matter, I've mentioned having a season one time at Fulham standing on the great terrace behind the goal with its roof and looking at the unroofed away terrace. That just seemed rude.

In a later season, 1998 maybe, I watched City play there in the rain but decided to watch from the dry comfort of the home terrace.

I've never been more soaking in my life than watching us play at Saltergate once in the 90s. I may as well have jumped into a swimming pool fully clothed. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've never been more soaking in my life than watching us play at Saltergate once in the 90s. I may as well have jumped into a swimming pool fully clothed. 

Actually the wettest I can remember being at a game was that semi final against Forest at Ashton Gate. The Open End was split between home and away fans but the away fan numbers pushed as into a smaller section then usual. I found myself at the very back of the terracing up against the railings and the rain was beating at my back. It soaked through my coat, a jumper and a shirt and jeans, I could feel it running like a stream down the middle of my back and through the crack in my arse. 

It was happy enough to take the punishment until Parker scored. :(. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Actually the wettest I can remember being at a game was that semi final against Forest at Ashton Gate. The Open End was split between home and away fans but the away fan numbers pushed as into a smaller section then usual. I found myself at the very back of the terracing up against the railings and the rain was beating at my back. It soaked through my coat, a jumper and a shirt and jeans, I could feel it running like a stream down the middle of my back and through the crack in my arse. 

Probably not the best time and location, but I have heard (from a friend, I'm sorry, I can't reveal her name) that some girls would pay a lot of money for such an experience.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Newport County on their grass terrace in the rainy season!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Pretty sure we ended up with 9 men on the pitch if that's the same game. The driest part of me that day was my tongue 

Yep. Pissed on by the rain and pissed on by the ref. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

While I obviously want to see Rovers be as successful as possible, I long, long, long ago stopped worrying about the behind the scenes stuff.  I like being able to stand up at The Mem, I like our ground being near Gloucester Road and I like that- at the moment- we are a relatively entertaining side to watch. I'm sure many will cry 'typical lack of ambition' but football is nowhere near as important to me as it was years ago, having a good day out is my priority :)

Fair enough,  I agree they should stay where they are. If you see my previous posts I think Rovers should re build a stand at a time but I understand the temptation of a shiny new ground. Staying in a relatively historical base is important I think, as one or 2 rugby clubs have found recently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Fair enough,  I agree they should stay where they are. If you see my previous posts I think Rovers should re build a stand at a time but I understand the temptation of a shiny new ground. Staying in a relatively historical base is important I think, as one or 2 rugby clubs have found recently.

Wouldn’t make much financial sense, whatever they do to the Rugby ground they won’t be able to make money from it every day.

For all their harping on about our supposedly plastic stadium they and their owners know that what Lansdown has done with us is the way forward. We’ve just been able to do it without upping sticks and moving away from our roots.

Whatever they get at the Fruit Market they’ll never have what we have at Ashton Gate, an impressive, modern looking stadium that is also a spiritual home with over a century of history.

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I'll raise you Wigan away, late 80's at Springfield park on the old mud bank away end. It was carnage! ;)     ?

Nott's County away in the cup around 85 was bad too, sunny as hell when we left Bristol, bloody snowing in Nottingham! :colder:

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

In more modern times, wasn't there a game at AG vs Wolves, where the rain was literally coming in sideways?

Yep, a hurricane and a monsoon rolled into one! Came back from 0-2 to draw 2-2 iirc.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'll raise you Wigan away, late 80's at Springfield park on the old mud bank away end. It was carnage! ;)

Nott's County away in the cup around 85 was bad too, sunny as hell when we left Bristol, bloody snowing in Nottingham! :colder:

That mud bank at Wigan was hilarious.

It had a “Rovers quality” (ie shit) little “stand” on top. I remember being there for a match (sure we lost !) where the rain was coming in horizontally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This current weather related tangent has reminded me that you don’t seem to get matches abandoned because of fog any more. I can remember a City match abandoned at half time because of fog, but that was in the days when you could have a good night out for a shilling and still come home with change. Where has it gone. 

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

That mud bank at Wigan was hilarious.

It had a “Rovers quality” (ie shit) little “stand” on top. I remember being there for a match (sure we lost !) where the rain was coming in horizontally.

That's the one GB, Arf was covered in shit IIRC, amongst ,many others, myself include as I fell down the bugger.

I have a distant memory that we drew but wouldn't swear on it as I couldn't see anything! :(

Edited by Ska Junkie

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This current weather related tangent has reminded me that you don’t seem to get matches abandoned because of fog any more. I can remember a City match abandoned at half time because of fog, but that was in the days when you could have a good night out for a shilling and still come home with change. Where has it gone. 

Leeds wasn't it?

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The only game in recent times I can remember with really bad fog was (I think) away at Torquay, we won 3-0 but had no idea what was going on down the far end of the pitch as you couldn't see anything.

Didn't get abandoned though.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Leeds wasn't it?

The match I’m thinking about was at home in the 60s. I’m not sure whi was  City’s opposition but I don’t think it was Leeds 

Went to Wigan early 90s. We had the grass bank. Gas had played there mid week, but didn't take enough for the bank to be opened. Had "Deafy" on our coach. Won 3-2 with one of our goals scored when he was having a pee. He thought we had drawn until someone bought the pink un in Brum.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

While we are doing weather who can forget the weird frozen rain on derby day early 90's which was invisible to the eye but if you walked on it you went down on your arse!  The game got called off, I remember being gutted

That was in December 1995 wasn't it?  I had a mishap in the motor on that ice went down Ilchester Crescent sideways

• Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

While we are doing weather who can forget the weird frozen rain on derby day early 90's which was invisible to the eye but if you walked on it you went down on your arse!  The game got called off, I remember being gutted

95-96

Edited by southside
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I’d forgotten about that! I was gutted too. I ended up spending a few hours in the Baccy Jar in Whitchurch and got thoroughly pissed.  

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

The only game in recent times I can remember with really bad fog was (I think) away at Torquay, we won 3-0 but had no idea what was going on down the far end of the pitch as you couldn't see anything.

Didn't get abandoned though.

Leroy lita hat trick ( so I was told ) yes I was there 

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Leroy lita hat trick ( so I was told ) yes I was there 

I was working for a world leading IT company at the time and had been invited to see, on the Friday evening, some retail technology which had been installed at the Millennium Stadium  ahead of the Wales v Ireland Grand Slam decider. Unexpectedly, the supplier invited me to join them at the match the following day which I happily accepted despite neither being Welsh, Irish nor a great rugby follower. 

I suspect I was the only one in the packed stadium listening to commentary of the Torquay v City match on Radio Bristol whilst watching Wales win the Triple Crown and Grand Slam!

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, harrys said:

Didn’t a home cup game against Liverpool get called off in the early ‘90s ?

Fa Cup v Liverpool was 1-1 at Ashton Gate when the flood lights failed, game replayed at AG the following week from memory and finished 1-1, so replay was at Anfield and well you know the rest...

7 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

That was in December 1995 wasn't it?  I had a mishap in the motor on that ice went down Ilchester Crescent sideways

Was it that late in the 90's, I remember I was living in Staple Hill (opposite Disco shop!) as I slipped on the path, but we moved to Bradley Stoke around then as well so assumed it was earlier!  Amazing what 30 years does to memories! ?

8 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

8 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I was working on the Post for a short time around then. Left my car for no more than 20 minutes and when I got back the water on the windscreen had frozen in bubbles/ripples. Never seen a flash freeze like it. Made it home and struggled to get almost to the Gate when we found it was off. Could barely walk anywhere without slipping, it was mad. We plotted up in the Port Wall Tavern and a mate rang his Dad to pick us up. Never seen anything like it before or since.

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Oxford as Well .

We were in the wrong stand , the other end from our lot. Could barely see a thing, I think we scored in front of our end as well. Had a laugh with Timmy Mallet who was sat behind us, mainly at his expense .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, miser said:

Went to Wigan early 90s. We had the grass bank. Gas had played there mid week, but didn't take enough for the bank to be opened. Had "Deafy" on our coach. Won 3-2 with one of our goals scored when he was having a pee. He thought we had drawn until someone bought the pink un in Brum.

Deafy from Henbury, knew him pretty well used the Henbury Social club

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SDBS36 said:

Deafy from Henbury, knew him pretty well used the Henbury Social club

Wasn’t his brother, Alex(?), blind? Used to sit in the old grandstand with the radio commentary. 

Edited by glynriley