IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

9 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

That period late 90’s & mid 00’s was wild for stadium plans, for both clubs.

Ashton Gate Rebuild -30k

Hengrove - 40k

Severnside (shared stadium)

Fruit Market (shared stadium) 

Mem Rebuild - 15k? 

East End rebuild 

UWE stadium 

Ashton Vale (I think this fits in the time frame) 

It’s the sites that weren’t announced I find interesting. We know City acknowledged the council offered arena Island, and Rovers likewise has land by Rolls Royce suggested to them but there’s been a fair few others that to me, sounded like a really good idea. 

Early / mid 80's Stoke Gifford near Parkway (long before Bradley Stoke was a thing).

34 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

......So Rovers are hoping to get planning permission semi-retrospectively, as soon as possible.....

What does that mean? They either get permission before or after the build has started. Time doesn't work any other way. Just putting in the application in doth butter no parsnips.

There are three other things that need to be queried from that article. 

1. "As long as what they build is in line with their planning application" Is this why their application is so vague and nothing more than a pencil drawing buy a junior employee?

2. "While other options are being explored, including the possibility of building a new stadium close to the site of the planned arena at the Brabazon Hangar at Filton Airfield" There are thousands of homes being built on those sites right now, how does a stadium fit in with those developments?

3. "While the number of public comments being received and uploaded onto the council's planning portal by planning officers has slowed in September, as of Tuesday morning, September 12, there have been a total of 913 letters of support for the application, with 214 letters of objection." Do whatever passes as journalists at Bristol Live believe that it's all about numbers when it comes to letters of objection or support? The supporting letters we have seen are little more than "Rover's need a stand", why is this not mentioned?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GeoTheCiderHead said:

9AB7C385-A0E5-4E7A-8C73-4D4488D80BE6.jpeg

He's actually correct.

The South West Corner Trolley Park Stand.

The Tenty type with the lovely deckchair moving roof Stand.

A repaint of Santa's Grotto.

The Skeletor murial on the public convenience using a left handed paintbrush. 

That second hand large telly that's stuck on Babestation.

A strip of Championship ready tarmac.

All of the above is a massive improvement on that dump. Spurs, hang your heads in shame.

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Gone up to a million pound bid.

Typical, it'll be 2m by next week.

Its nice that they are amazing and growing stronger every day - I assume thats from today rather than taking into account all the cockups of the previous days ?

"Well that is now 725 pages on a stadium that doesn't exist and now looks very like it never will. We are Bristol Rovers we are amazing.
There are some positives though, we bid a million pounds for a player, unfortunately though staff at the cub could't cope with reaching these giddy hight's of the transfer market and we cocked -up. Also for the first time in most of our histories of supporting the club, a new decent size stand is being built . So things are getting better, we are growing stronger every day."

That's what Bob Crachit said about Tiny Tim.......and he died !

16 hours ago, TomF said:

Who's got a copy of OTIB where it says 'we support rovers move to Mansfield' ?  Must be around 20-30th edition of it. 

That gag was written was written long before OTIB existed - around about the time we were beating Birmingham 4-0 away in 1990, if memory serves.

That issue came out April 1990. The chap who wrote it is on here, he'll confirm. 

Over 30 years later, it remains relevant. Hilarious. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

On 12/09/2023 at 07:40, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes.

And it gets worse, it's this kind.

Looks like bloody Skeletor in a ginger wig.

The song has the same affect as fingernails being scraped along a blackboard,

To be fair, despite his allegiance to the Fewers, Rod always got a good reception whenever he was in the aerial (sic).

Maybe jealous Irene felt threatened and pushed him off the roof.

We'll never know as Emu has always stayed shtum.

Edited by Bazooka Joe
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That gag was written was written long before OTIB existed - around about the time we were beating Birmingham 4-0 away in 1990, if memory serves.

That issue came out April 1990. The chap who wrote it is on here, he'll confirm. 

Over 30 years later, it remains relevant. Hilarious. 

I had missed that. It was of course 'The Bountyhunter'. I seem to remember Gary Penrice's tash coming in for some stick.

• Haha 1

On 11/09/2023 at 15:22, Super said:

Bristol Rovers are exploring alternative options in their search for a new stadium, including redeveloping the Mem, Bristol Live understands, as talks between the club and the company behind the Fruit Market project are in danger of collapsing.

A little like their new gazebo stand then...?

Anyway - it doesn't matter if they get the land or not, they'll probably still start building something on it in the hope that the situation changes...It's what they do!

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Looks like bloody Skeletor in a ginger wig.

The song has the same affect as fingernails being scraped along a blackboard,

To be fair, despite his allegiance to the Fewers, Rod always got a good reception whenever he was in the aerial (sic).

Maybe jealous Irene felt threatened and pushed him off the roof.

We'll never know as Emu has always stayed shtum.

He was just a fall guy...

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That Tiny Tim has a great Wikipedia entry, one of life's great eccentrics. 

Saw Tiny Tim at the 1970 Isle of  Wight  festival, totally bizarre! In a line up featuring the likes of  Hendrix, The Doors and The Who, he had around half a million people singing along to 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips ' and 'There'll Always be an England '.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

THAT one's dead 

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Tiny Tim didn’t die, despite what Scrooge thought; Dickens made that very clear.

Last time I heard, he was tiptoeing through the tulips.

Didn’t City fans used to sing about walking through the Tote End?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

Saw Tiny Tim at the 1970 Isle of  Wight  festival, totally bizarre! In a line up featuring the likes of  Hendrix, The Doors and The Who, he had around half a million people singing along to 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips ' and 'There'll Always be an England '.

You were at the Isle of Wight festival and you can remember what you saw! Strewth 

IMG_4724.jpeg

Now that Reading have been docked another 3 points, am I reading the table right - without the point deductions to Wigan and Reading, ie., based purely on footballing merit - Rovers should be in 20th place, just scraping above the relegation zone not even because of goal difference but just because Carlisle have played one more and lost 3?

I thought they were going to walk the league this season?!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Well, of course, he is now, and would have been in his 90s were he still alive.

Did you know he was over 6 feet tall?

Some of the other names he performed as were: -

Emmett Swink

Texarkana Tex

Rollie Dell

Darry Dover

Judas K. Foxglove

Vernon Castle

and my favourite, Larry Love, the Singing Canary. ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Some of the other names he performed as were: -

Emmett Swink

Texarkana Tex

Rollie Dell

Darry Dover

Judas K. Foxglove

Vernon Castle

and my favourite, Larry Love, the Singing Canary. ?

I am sure you are correct.

I just remember as a young boy my parents ranting about this travesty, whilst, only a few years earlier, they had been happily singing (my mother) Susan Maughan's 'Bobby's Girl' and (my father) Rosemary Clooney's 'Where will the Dimple be' and Diana Decker's Kitty in the Basket and 'Poppa Piccolino'.

For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed joining in with the choruses of all of them and even remember the lyrics now, some fifty years later - of course, it helps when your father has them all on 78s and used to play them most Sundays.

Just in case you have forgotten, although probably only @slartibartfast will remember any of them:    

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am sure you are correct.

I just remember as a young boy my parents ranting about this travesty, whilst, only a few years earlier, they had been happily singing (my mother) Susan Maughan's 'Bobby's Girl' and (my father) Rosemary Clooney's 'Where will the Dimple be' and Diana Decker's Kitty in the Basket and 'Poppa Piccolino'.

For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed joining in with the choruses of all of them and even remember the lyrics now, some fifty years later - of course, it helps when your father has them all on 78s and used to play them most Sundays.

Just in case you have forgotten, although probably only @slartibartfast will remember any of them:    

I'd quite forgotten the Kitty song.............could have been Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow) singing Smelly Cat !

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

Remarkable how a sag p*sstake thread has now morphed into a thread about an obscure, eccentric novelty act from the late 60's. 

…..an obscure, eccentric novelty act? That sums up Bristol Rovers in a nutshell 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

Remarkable how a sag p*sstake thread has now morphed into a thread about an obscure, eccentric novelty act from the late 60's. 

Not obscure at the time, he got married live on TV and broke the record for the world's largest ever TV audience!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Yes, but what happened when she swallowed a spider?

According to the autopsy report   "..........it wriggled and giggled and tickled inside her ", but he was unable to substantiate the chain of events that caused the victims demise. The case was adjourned for reports .

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Word has reached me that in order to modernise the medical facilities at the Mem, the physio has just ordered vinegar and brown paper in industrial quantities.

That is to mend broken heads. With holes in buckets you need straw, that must not be too long and if it is it will need cutting with a sharp knife which will need a wet stone to sharpen it, in order to wet the stone you will need water which will need a bucket to collect it. Essentially this analogy means that the gas are fugged.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, mattjb said:

What’s going on ? Have the gas finally got their act together? Must be at least 2 days since they’ve provided us with any entertainment which is unusual 

Plenty of gold on their forum.

Delusion and blind, unquestioning, adulation of their esteemed leaders abound.

All the cock ups are someone elses fault (aside from a couple posters who see it for what it is).

Marvellous stuff :clapping:

Don't worry, they've built in some great entertainment later in the year when the existing floodlights illuminate the top of the roof at one end and the championship ready tarmac at the other end. These things takes time & all bound by a confidentiality agreement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Plenty of gold on their forum.

Delusion and blind, unquestioning, adulation of their esteemed leaders abound.

All the cock ups are someone elses fault (aside from a couple posters who see it for what it is).

Marvellous stuff :clapping:

Yes either, praying that the Evil Post have it wrong or, interestingly, some punters starting to use some of our favourite words. "Tinpot" "Wally", the "these things take time" phrase turned into a meme and doubts about whether the new shop keepers have any more money than the old ones.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes either, praying that the Evil Post have it wrong or, interestingly, some punters starting to use some of our favourite words. "Tinpot" "Wally", the "these things take time" phrase turned into a meme and doubts about whether the new shop keepers have any more money than the old ones.

Yep, some worms are turning.

But they tend to get piled on by the mushrooms who love to be kept in the dark and fed on shite.

18 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I saw one of their posters was getting pelters the other day, for refering to Wally as, well, Wally...!!

I guess now he's not the majority shareholder, he's fair game to some.

tumblr_lpw091SkeN1qj9s1io1_400.gif.379920618d7fe7ed4717b4e0541f6830.gif

Muchachos, may I draw your attention to the highlighted opinion at the bottom of the g4s forum entry below?   WOW……….just WOW, now there's someone whose glass never sinks below the half way mark!

4 hours ago via mobile supergas likes this
Post Options

Post by bettyblue on 4 hours ago

stuart1974 Avatar
gasandelectricity Avatar
What’s better - a statement for the sake of it that might kill any semblance of a chance of getting a deal over the line?

Or staying silent for a little while longer to figure out plan A is definitely dead vs getting plan B onto the front burner.

If things really are as the article suggests and discussions are on a knife edge, confirming this in public won't help.

conygar may depend on us to get the area up and running and We probably hold a very good set of cards and may be trying for a final ace with a threat of pulling out. We already have a stadium and land. Maybe its us who are in charge for a change.
  • Haha 16
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Muchachos, may I draw your attention to the highlighted opinion at the bottom of the g4s forum entry below?   WOW……….just WOW, now there's someone whose glass never sinks below the half way mark!

Post Options

stuart1974 Avatar
gasandelectricity Avatar
What’s better - a statement for the sake of it that might kill any semblance of a chance of getting a deal over the line?

Or staying silent for a little while longer to figure out plan A is definitely dead vs getting plan B onto the front burner.

If things really are as the article suggests and discussions are on a knife edge, confirming this in public won't help.

conygar may depend on us to get the area up and running and We probably hold a very good set of cards and may be trying for a final ace with a threat of pulling out. We already have a stadium and land. Maybe its us who are in charge for a change.

The delusion is strong in this one ☝️ 

Some think that the new kebab man who has a 55% stake in the tinpot outfit has come in and decided that the Fruitihad isn’t favourable enough for Da Gas and has better plans for the future….???‍♂️

Honestly, their delusion is off the scale.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

45 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Post Options

stuart1974 Avatar
gasandelectricity Avatar

Obvious init

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1