IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, CS Red said:

Bearing in mind I was only 2 in 1982. Rovers blocking a council loan is a new one on me. I do vaguely recall someone saying Rovers tried to buy Ashton Gate at the time. Is some more background information anyone can give me?

The departure of the Ashton Gate Eight didn’t bring with it an end to the problems faced by the club. A selling ban was put in place, and with debts and salary bills still high, an opportunistic offer was made by Martin Flook and Barry Bradshaw, the chairman and vice-chairman of Bristol Rovers, to purchase Ashton Gate for £450,000. The spectre of Bristol becoming a one-club city was averted, however. A share issue scheme failing to provoke local interest didn’t help the club in their battle to ward off their rivals’ advances.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I very much doubt that is what’s actually happening, let’s not elevate this into a more serious issue on the back of rumours on a football forum. 

Agreed, and I hope it is not what is happening.

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

They gleefully rub 1982 in our faces at every opportunity. IF they were to ever find themselves in the shit financially or due to dodgy owners I’ll show them exactly the same amount of sympathy that they would show us if the boot was on the other foot.

If they want to be that petty and unhappy then fine. I'm not going to go down to that level though. 

Do I want them relegated down to level 9 in the pyramid. Yes.

Do I want an institution that is important to (a few) people to cease to exist because of the whims and failures of outsiders for whom those failures will have no consequence. No.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, CS Red said:

Many Thanks Ska Junkie. It's one thing I did not know about the events of 82. 

Why did it need the agreement of Rovers to make it happen?

So the council could be seen to be fair to both clubs / transparent I guess CSR.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Do I want an institution that is important to (a few) people to cease to exist because of the whims and failures of outsiders for whom those failures will have no consequence. No.

Thats a bit hand wringing for me sorry. If they are mismanaged then so be it. No club has any divine right to exist in the commercial world of football -  and any club that employs someone like Joey Barton deserves all they get.

It’s not even like we play regular derbies anymore - there is zero interest for us apart from the comedy. Id love regular, passionate derbies but thats not happened for years. They are irrelevant to be honest. Anybody under 35/40 scratches their head at our “rivalry”. You have to be close to, or thinking about early retirement to have any real memory of genuine rivalry. 

If they went out of existence the football world would not bat an eyelid in the grand scheme of things. It would be 5 minutes on BBC news showing pictures of IKEA.

We’d all miss the piss taking but that would be about it. You hardly see their kits around Bristol now - apart from a few poor kids given it to them by their Gramps. Poor bastards. 

Extinction is part of evolution and it will come for them sooner rather than later unless they sort themselves out.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Thats a bit hand wringing for me sorry. If they are mismanaged then so be it. No club has any divine right to exist in the commercial world of football -  and any club that employs someone like Joey Barton deserves all they get.

It’s not even like we play regular derbies anymore - there is zero interest for us apart from the comedy. Id love regular, passionate derbies but thats not happened for years. They are irrelevant to be honest. Anybody under 35/40 scratches their head at our “rivalry”. You have to be close to, or thinking about early retirement to have any real memory of genuine rivalry. 

If they went out of existence the football world would not bat an eyelid in the grand scheme of things. It would be 5 minutes on BBC news showing pictures of IKEA.

We’d all miss the piss taking but that would be about it. You hardly see their kits around Bristol now - apart from a few poor kids given it to them by their Gramps. Poor bastards. 

Extinction is part of evolution and it will come for them sooner rather than later unless they sort themselves out.

Quite.  The football world barely batted an eyelid when twice FA cup winners Bury FC went bust.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CS Red said:

Many Thanks Ska Junkie. It's one thing I did not know about the events of 82. 

Why did it need the agreement of Rovers to make it happen?

Whatever loan we received, they wanted the same amount, if my recall is correct 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If they want to be that petty and unhappy then fine. I'm not going to go down to that level though. 

…and that’s totally fair enough.

I may have some sympathy with individual Gasheads who aren’t constantly revelling in our financial problems in the past, but I can’t fake sympathy for the bastards who openly and often say they wish our club had died. 

43 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Well, they seemed quite happy when those outsiders arrived, some more “unlucky tha shit” nonsense. But like I say…no evidence whatsoever that they are about to cease to exist. Im certainly not going to believe anything that comes from their cretinous, paranoid fans.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Flames 1

47 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Imagine being a youngster in Kuwait, growing up dreaming of being the next Messi or Ronaldo and hearing that an English club has started an academy in your country, turning up to find out it’s this lot…

IMG_1530.png

Are we sure this isn't a front for human trafficking 

1 hour ago, Arden Red1 said:

Whatever loan we received, they wanted the same amount, if my recall is correct 

That’s how I remember it too.  I think it went along the lines of if they didn’t get the same, they wouldn’t agree to us having it either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You were probably counting the ones locked out, common mistake.

I was. Schoolboy error.

They were the all outside, bald, side burns, flares, clubbing together 50,000 pence to buy Paul Randall back from Cheddar Walking Football.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Imagine being a youngster in Kuwait, growing up dreaming of being the next Messi or Ronaldo and hearing that an English club has started an academy in your country, turning up to find out it’s this lot…

IMG_1530.png

Prince Frankie of Kuwait. Let’s hope he never bumps into King Gerald of Gow. 

When the Rent Boys bring up 1982 I’m more than happy to remind them that City have won more in the past 42 years then they’ve won in their entire history.

No Watney Cup, of course, but no FA Trophy 1st round runners-up trophy either.

Cleary not all is rosy in the Gastards’ garden and long may that continue. Nothing but contempt for that pustule of a club.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

When the Rent Boys bring up 1982 I’m more than happy to remind them that City have won more in the past 42 years then they’ve won in their entire history.

I replied to a Facebook comment exactly the same recently. 

9 hours ago, Malago said:

Quite.  The football world barely batted an eyelid when twice FA cup winners Bury FC went bust.  

Apart from it being one of the main events that instigated a parliamentary fan-led review into the state of English football, something that is about to culminate in legislation bringing in an independent regulator for the game? 

Eyelids absolutely were batted and quite right that they were.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, mattjb said:

Accademy? Sounds a bit of a gamble to me.

Bristol rovers ,a renowned name in football 😄

IMG_2988.thumb.jpeg.3feb3261b09f996e435bcd93c697831e.jpeg

If you had a fifteen year old in on WORK EXPERIENCE and they produced that you would still sack them. It's utter garbage even before you consider the fact that there is barely a word of truth in there.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

https://bristolroverskw.com/

Agent Abdul is doing fine work at the Gas. Jobs for his mates. All invoices have to be approved by him. Policy of starting a bid for any new signings at 15% of asking price.

Good man. Keep it up.

1689965672318.thumb.jpg.07636d2d251f6439af2e96f20ea19252.jpg

Haven't done the currency conversion yet, but is it normal to charge academy players?

Screenshot_20240125_082809_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I haven't looked at their forum but I wouldn't be best pleased to read that web site. It does explain where the owners focus has been the last few months.

They aren't very happy. The spelling and design all over the place. Also I'd be concerned that there are no pictures of this academy and no information on the coaches? They do have some good reviews already though at the bottom of the page. The one that says the academy is "top notch" particularly stood out. 

Edited by Rebounder

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Haven't done the currency conversion yet, but is it normal to charge academy players?

Screenshot_20240125_082809_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thats £320 sub+ £70 for a shirt and shorts.

I'm sure I read on here they charge kids in their academy for their kit. No idea if true.

8 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

https://bristolroverskw.com/

Agent Abdul is doing fine work at the Gas. Jobs for his mates. All invoices have to be approved by him. Policy of starting a bid for any new signings at 15% of asking price.

Good man. Keep it up.

1689965672318.thumb.jpg.07636d2d251f6439af2e96f20ea19252.jpg

Maybe hes doing a good job sorting out a mess that the "blue half of Bristol" arent aware of.

At L1, why not open with less than the asking price? Clubs have been doing that for ever.

Hopefully though,  hes just a low rent Jon boy and its all going tits up.

Edited by Natchfever

This is a classic case of companies finding a cheaper rate by going off shore, can’t afford an academy here so let’s take it abroad, then charging them for their services, is madness, any players who come through, would they be classed as homegrown? 

You can just see can’t you …..  

I’ve got a cunning plan Blackadder, we’ll set up an academy in that well known footballing nation Kuwait , snap up all the top local young lads and in 10 years time we’ll overtake they gurt Teds and be giving Man City a run for their money in the prem .

Brilliant Baldrick , I’ll get  Abdul on the case immediately 

• Haha 1

Just now, mattjb said:

Chracter building? Maybe they are looking to rival John Deere in agricultural machinery? 

I can't read, and I can't write

But that don't really matter

Cos I'm a Bristol Rovers fan

And I can build my chracter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 17
  • Flames 1

So this Kuwait "academy" charges £320 per month per child plus £70 for basic kit ?

Bargain :noexp:

Maybe they should consider a few words/photos about the facilities and the coaching staff to go some way towards justifying the costs and spend a few quid on developing a professional website. As it is, it comes across as a scam.

Embarrasing, as ever.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

So this Kuwait "academy" charges £320 per month per child plus £70 for basic kit ?

Maybe they should consider a few words/photos about the facilities and the coaching staff to go some way towards justifying the costs and spend a few quid on developing a professional website. As it is, it comes across as a scam.

Embarrasing, as ever.

There was a big old fuss on Radio Bristol maybe ten years ago when it was revealed that the Rovers' academy was making their trainees buy their own kit. I think their Board was so embarrassed by that revelation that they stopped that happening.

And now it seems not only are they back to doing this again, and this time openly, but are even charging for the training.

Any local parents who had any doubt about which club's academy they want their talented son to join must no longer be in doubt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

image.thumb.png.f5cec523fc170b42aae56db256fb5605.png

I think you might be disappointed Yousef...

Dunno, for only £1,000 per month your son could sign pro forms for a world famous English club and earn up to £300 per month whilst vicariously rubbing shoulders with other world class footballers signed for English footballing giants.....

Just now, Stortz said:

Buckle in everyone, they're on the brink of yet another of their enhanced gift giving periods haha.

It amazes me, you wrack your brains thinking surely there is nothing new left in the Gas comedy gift giving tank and then they come out with a beauty like this one! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

image.thumb.png.f5cec523fc170b42aae56db256fb5605.png

I think you might be disappointed Yousef...

Fair play to Yousef for giving it a positive review when it hasn’t even opened.

This suggests one of two things;

Yousef is a super optimist or he’s been asked/told to submit this because he’s in some way involved.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair play to Yousef for giving it a positive review when it hasn’t even opened.

This suggests one of two things;

Yousef is a super optimist or he’s been asked/told to submit this because he’s in some way involved.

I cant cut and paste off asschat, but their former head of stale crisps is now putting the boot in 😁

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

IMG_8270.jpeg.3ac26fd4c9f53fab6adaac2c430b9432.jpeg

Come on lads and lasses what were his first words after extending his stay at the Mem?

I am thinking ,  ‘ has my career really come to this?  ‘

"****ing ****** **** I have to stay at this ***** ****ing ******** of a club for four more *****ing months! ****ing ****"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

I cant cut and paste off asschat, but their former head of stale crisps is now putting the boot in 😁

Iain Paterson now at Forest Green as Head of Hospitality (former Head of Catering at the Dump);

"I could write a book mate. Working at The Mem was a real eye opener on how not to run a club. I've been a Rovers fan for 35 years and like you all, just want the best for the mighty blues. Unfortunately the club is currently being run by incompetent charlatans, so we're ****ed!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 14
  • Flames 1

19 hours ago, Selred said:

Yes, we don't chant Eastenders in our South Stand...

At least it's still there.

The Tote End is now Skandinavian room displays, a warehouse and flat bed trolleys with dodgy wheels

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

Is this what you meant? 

Damning words from the former Head of Catering at Bristol Rovers and now Head of Matchday & Hospitality at Forest Green.

I could write a book mate. Working at The Mem was a real eye opener on how not to run a club. I've been a Rovers fan for 35 years and like you all, just want the best for the mighty blues. Unfortunately the club is currently being run by incompetent charlatans, so we're ****ed!

Ah, I see that @bcfc01 has already replied.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Embarrasing, as ever.

Hmmm...😉

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Is this what you meant? 

Damning words from the former Head of Catering at Bristol Rovers and now Head of Matchday & Hospitality at Forest Green.

I could write a book mate. Working at The Mem was a real eye opener on how not to run a club. I've been a Rovers fan for 35 years and like you all, just want the best for the mighty blues. Unfortunately the club is currently being run by incompetent charlatans, so we're ****ed!

Ah, I see that @bcfc01 has already replied.

Yes mate. Cant imagine FGR would be too happy about one of their staff going public like that but who kmows?

So, this Kuwait thing...  umm - where are the facilities and the pitch?? According to the map on their website it's here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/4mRbeBSLBRFf2w1D6 (screen grab from the website attached). Umm - I can see a Gas Depot (of course) and a burger place... umm.. but a professional football academy??? WTAF?!

image.thumb.png.e3639a961bdc9d7e320b7ff1cf0b25d6.png

Edited by LilRascal
  • Flames 1

Gashead looking for a dry seat gets this reply

Row A in the East Stand, right one the halfway line. It can get pretty wet in the winter months if the wind and rain combine in the right way.

I'd say 90% of the time its absolutely fine. Plus when its miserable on a Tuesday night and you're getting soaked there is usually thousands of free seats up towards the back where its dry.”

• Haha 6

I see that the Gas reporter has grown some balls and called out their owners in a damning piece in the Post. Fair enough, but what a hypocrite, after being up Bartons arse for all of his time at the club, he had this to say about the manager who replaced Barton;

"Furthermore, he's just a breath of fresh air which has been incredibly welcome. With the 41-year-old you get straight, honest responses in press conferences where excuses are very rarely if ever made while he protects his own players when necessary. A welcome change."

Full article; 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-rovers-danger-free-fall-9054824

2 hours ago, mattjb said:

It amazes me, you wrack your brains thinking surely there is nothing new left in the Gas comedy gift giving tank and then they come out with a beauty like this one! 

Exactly my thoughts.

Every time you think “they’ve done everything now, surely there’s nothing else ridiculous they can do?…”

and then BANG!….another gift out of the blue (literally).

You couldn’t make it up 🤣🤣

For all slagheads and Gas sympathisers on here THIS IS WHY THIS THREAD EXISTS.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1