IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 minutes ago, Malago said:

I think your memory is playing tricks on you Starti.  Bert Tann was Rovers manager from 1950 to 1968.  Fred Ford joined us in 1962 and was sacked after the Blackpool game in 1967.  He joined Rovers the year after when they sacked Bert Tann.  

I think @slartibartfast is probably right.

I do recall that Fred Ford, he of the wonderful grey hair, joined Rovers after leaving City, as manager, but he well may have been Rovers' coach prior to joining City - the term coach had a different meaning back then.

I only met Bert Tann once, but what a wonderful memory and what a wonderful man.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

No, he was sag's coach then City boss, then sag manager .

I’m glad you can remember this. Here’s Fred coaching some Rovers players in the 50s before he became City manager. (With a good view of the gas works in the background)

IMG_6149.jpeg

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/06/2024 at 07:20, 1960maaan said:

I think he missed the scouting section on "good fit" . 
Imagine any women team reading through his Social Media . It's one thing getting qualifications , that's the minimum for the Job , then they would want someone to be a good productive influence on the team .
I'd say that being investigated for violence against his own Wife, junior team mates , opposition Managers and players . Verbally attacking Women and the women's game on various platforms , being found to have Libelled Jeremy Vine and accused of bullying young employees , isn't high on the "qualities required " list.

Not to forget , when he compared Annie Aluko the Fred West ITV responded with ..

'Football is for everyone.'

Joey thinks not and his response was 

'Shut up you ****ing idiots. Keep them off the tele. They’re ruining the game for everyone of us.

So one of these points may have harmed his chances , put them in a CV and ........

Being in jail might be another negative factor when he applies for these jobs 🤣  https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/07/joey-barton-faces-new-criminal-trial-over-alleged-assault-on-wife

I love The Guardian, but am considering my options after they described him simply as "former footballer" and failed to mention the family club 🤬

• Like 1

A gas mate has just put in the group chat that Rovers will be showing the England/Denmark game and are charging a whopping£35!! 

But….it includes bottomless beer……. the price seems a little more bearable….

But…….the bottomless beer is only available for duration of the game………and no beer will be served at half time either.

Anyone staying after the final whistle will then have to start paying normal prices.

My mate is convinced they will only have 1 or 2 serving behind the bar as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

A gas mate has just put in the group chat that Rovers will be showing the England/Denmark game and are charging a whopping£35!! 

But…….the bottomless beer is only available for duration of the game………and no beer will be served at half time either.

Anyone staying after the final whistle will then have to start paying normal prices.

They will be showing plenty of bottoms on the TV at half time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, red panda said:

Being in jail might be another negative factor when he applies for these jobs 🤣  https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/07/joey-barton-faces-new-criminal-trial-over-alleged-assault-on-wife

I love The Guardian, but am considering my options after they described him simply as "former footballer" and failed to mention the family club 🤬

Having a criminal record might put a crimp in your chances of getting a job, being linked with the gAss is a career killer.

48 minutes ago, red panda said:

And they missed out England international and noted philosopher.

40 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

What about bottomless fake Fanta?

57 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

So realistically, to get any value from that deal you would need to drink a minimum of 6 pints.

3 pints in each 45 minute period, but you'd need to factor in how long it would take to queue for a drink, watch them change the barrels as slowly as possible with limited staff behind the bar.

Not exactly screaming big night out is it? Knowing what they are like, a good 70% of bottomless beer buyers will still be sober enough to legally drive home afterwards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

So realistically, to get any value from that deal you would need to drink a minimum of 6 pints.

3 pints in each 45 minute period, but you'd need to factor in how long it would take to queue for a drink, watch them change the barrels as slowly as possible with limited staff behind the bar.

Not exactly screaming big night out is it? Knowing what they are like, a good 70% of bottomless beer buyers will still be sober enough to legally drive home afterwards.

A pint every 15 mins, when the premise is to watch the football. What a joke.

16 minutes ago, Selred said:

Now, if it was a pint every 15 mins to watch the Gas.......money well spent!

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think @slartibartfast is probably right.

I do recall that Fred Ford, he of the wonderful grey hair, joined Rovers after leaving City, as manager, but he well may have been Rovers' coach prior to joining City - the term coach had a different meaning back then.

I only met Bert Tann once, but what a wonderful memory and what a wonderful man.

Went to school with his daughter, if that counts ?

27 minutes ago, Selred said:

... and there's a limit to the number of pints you can order in a round. The number? Divide the number of digits on a Rovers fan's hand by six and you have the answer.

4 hours ago, Malago said:

I think your memory is playing tricks on you Starti.  Bert Tann was Rovers manager from 1950 to 1968.  Fred Ford joined us in 1962 and was sacked after the Blackpool game in 1967.  He joined Rovers the year after when they sacked Bert Tann.  

Nowt wrong with my memory, that was what happened..........he was a coach NOT manager .

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Be fair, the price includes half time food, and we all know the reputation they have for quality produce

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Went to school with his daughter, if that counts ?

So, in a moment of reflection, I thought I might recount my experience with Bert Tann.

One autumn back in the 1970s, on a bright and sunny Sunday afternoon, a school friend and I decided we would go out to Frenchay Common to collect some conkers.

My friend had the bright idea of throwing up a stick to dislodge said conkers from the many horse chestnut trees on the common, when, along with numerous conkers, a huge branch fell and hit him on the head, flush between his eyes.

With blood pouring from his wound, we sought help from a house next to the common - we were too far away from the hospital itself - and a lovely middle-aged lady answered our frantic ringing on the doorbell.

Seeing my friend’s distress, she called for her husband, Bert, gave us both a cold drink and together they cleaned his wound and patched him up with a large plaster or bandage.  

Without further word, Bert then insisted on driving us both back home to Bromley Heath, and it was only during the journey that my friend, a staunch Rovers fan, whispered to me that our Good Samaritan was, in fact, the late Bert Tann.

We, of course, thanked him profusely for his kind help, and I told him how grateful I was that he had not been sent to Vietnam as I had sung so enthusiastically the previous day.

I might have misremembered the last bit about Vietnam.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

Looking at the EFL official retained list for clubs on their website. We look a bit light, but christ Rovers will have to sign another 10 players with a reduced budget.

Their scholars are all 16-18 year olds with no real Senior men's football team experience at all.

A lot of gasheads I work with are fearing the worst for next season and have no faith in Taylor already.

Screenshot_20240608_085252_Samsung Notes.jpg

Screenshot_20240608_085320_Samsung Notes.jpg

33 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Looking at the EFL official retained list for clubs on their website. We look a bit light, but christ Rovers will have to sign another 10 players with a reduced budget.

Their scholars are all 16-18 year olds with no real Senior men's football team experience at all.

A lot of gasheads I work with are fearing the worst for next season and have no faith in Taylor already.

You mean their new owners are unable to maintain their status as Britains 6th richest club? What a surprise.

35 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

That's what happens when you're run like a tinpot Billy Smarts (or kebab empire) from top to bottom. Its why this thread has so much input. Coloured in whiteboard signs, white plastic garden chairs, a new cattle shed with retrospective planning permission, santas dubious grotto, babestation, having staff with questionable family values and high moral fibre. . . The list keeps going on. 

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You mean their new owners are unable to maintain their status as Britains 6th richest club? What a surprise.

Their current one reminds me of Clem Morfuni at Swindon.

When they get their feet in the door, the sudden enormity of how much it costs to run a football club and in Rover's case, try to upgrade the stadium hits home.

They have 15 professionals and are cutting the playing budget for next season, although it will remain "competitive". They've already been outbid on Ronan Curtis by Port Vale and Charlton on Josh Edwards.

The contracts they've given to players like Hunt, Martin and Wilson are going to be taking up a significant amount of their budget. They can't just carry on signing 15, letting 15 go. It's such an expensive way of doing business and builds no continuity in the squad either.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Their current one reminds me of Clem Morfuni at Swindon.

When they get their feet in the door, the sudden enormity of how much it costs to run a football club and in Rover's case, try to upgrade the stadium hits home.

They have 15 professionals and are cutting the playing budget for next season, although it will remain "competitive". They've already been outbid on Ronan Curtis by Port Vale and Charlton on Josh Edwards.

The contracts they've given to players like Hunt, Martin and Wilson are going to be taking up a significant amount of their budget. They can't just carry on signing 15, letting 15 go. It's such an expensive way of doing business and builds no continuity in the squad either.

you say that but on the other hand they will have 15 newbies all keen to make an impression before the penny drops that they have joined a shower of shit

58 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

you say that but on the other hand they will have 15 newbies all keen to make an impression before the penny drops that they have joined a shower of shit

Difference is, they can't afford to set up an Under 21 side on minimum wage. They're not going to have the finances to get 10 players in of the required standard.

I've heard Evans is probably off (their remaining best player), bolton have been mentioned. He's in the last year of his contract and refusing to sign a new one. Countless players have been told by Taylor that they are off at the end of last season (from a good source). He probably then found out, that they don't have the finances to replace them, so he's stuck with those players now as well.

On 07/06/2024 at 15:15, Betty Swallocks said:

As an alcoholic (dry these days), it'd have no effect on my decision to stay away from Gas Central

2 hours ago, GeoTheCiderHead said:

Taylor Moore the latest ex City to be going there. Used to quite like him….well, not anymore

Apparently, he left Valenciennes under a bit of a cloud - he allegedly assaulted a spectator.

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Apparently, he left Valenciennes under a bit of a cloud - he allegedly assaulted a spectator.

That`s why they`re signing him now. They wanted to a while back but he had to demonstrate he was capable of acts of violence before they did otherwise how could he hope to fit in at the swamp?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

They also finished rock bottom of Ligue 2, miles adrift & will play in the regional leagues next season.

He lost his place in February & didn’t feature again.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Explains why he deleted all posts from his social media of them. Signed a long term deal as well. 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

he has hardly proven the club wrong in their judgement.

The club's judgement was that the club's judgement was shit!

I mean it was Steve L's €2M investment, and at least it was a wiser investment than Engval's.

And we've now stopped speculating shed loads of money on risky signings.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I have all the faith in the world with Taylor 👀

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wow, of all the players ive seen who might assault a spectator, moore is about the least likely, surely there must have been some provoking, was he saving a kitten or something?

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

The club's judgement was that the club's judgement was shit!

I mean it was Steve L's €2M investment, and at least it was a wiser investment than Engval's.

And we've now stopped speculating shed loads of money on risky signings.

Isn’t every signing a risk? You’ll never know how things will turn out.

£1m on a England youth international who had received their footballing education in France seemed a decent move at the time.

I still blame Johnson for signing Williams and putting a solid stop to Moore’s progress, just when he seemed to be adjusting to championship football.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

£1m on a England youth international who had received their footballing education in France seemed a decent move at the time.

I still blame Johnson for signing Williams and putting a solid stop to Moore’s progress, just when he seemed to be adjusting to championship football.

TM always seemed like a really nice guy with honest endeavour- he just wasn't good enough.

He had (limited) chances - but every time he got some game time he looked something of a liability & seemed to regularly cost us goals.

Seemed like quite an exciting signing at the time - but as his career, so far, has panned out, it only seems to back up the conclusion that he's just not really good enough.

Not sure he's that bad as to have to resort to signing for Rovers, but can confidently predict he will not have a steady, prolonged spell at championship level.

The biggest question mark over him joining Rovers is his age - surely they'd be waiting another 4 or 5 years before he was on their radar.?!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

We seemed to take more risks/punts than most. Saw players as commodities.

If Moore was any good he would have proved us wrong when he moved on & he's had ample opportunity. 

Initially I did like the look of him but his lack of mobility and speed of thought was his downfall. Pretty fundamental factors. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Lovely info, great read first thing on a Sunday morning!

Thank you @NcnsBcfc that's set me up for the day.👍

• Thanks 1

I think he's had a lot of opportunities to make a career out of it. Usually signing for the football graveyard that is the  sags means its last chance saloon in desperation of staying in football. Its a jaw dropping reality of why has my career come to this. You will see it etched across his face when he's pictured holding up a blue and white scarf in a field (somewhere) next to a random white plastic garden chair. Sad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A mediocre nothing club with a dwindling moronic fanbase that's stuck in the 1970's who think they're bigger than Norwich but in reality they've much more in common with Forest Green, that's amateurish from top to bottom. Apart from laughing at what next rediculous stunt they pull I really don't care what they do.

They are a tinpot embarrassment.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

There was nothing much to support the signing at such a significant outlay, a bit like the HNM signing. It just sounded like Ashton splashing his ego in retrospect. If we'd have picked these players up for the low hundreds of thousands then I think the merit of these signings is very different

Contrast with the youngsters we made bank on, where they were developed in house (for no transfer outlay), at least fron the age of 17 in the two most recent cases.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Given that it's unlikely that the club will be paying the inhouse KC (Simon Czorka) this time, it'll be interesting to see what level of representation he gets at the trial.

Another of his now familiar ‘go fund me’ appeals!! 

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

There was nothing much to support the signing at such a significant outlay, a bit like the HNM signing. It just sounded like Ashton splashing his ego in retrospect. If we'd have picked these players up for the low hundreds of thousands then I think the merit of these signings is very different

Contrast with the youngsters we made bank on, where they were developed in house (for no transfer outlay), at least fron the age of 17 in the two most recent cases.

Funny how people see it.

If Hull or Preston had signed Moore at the time we would moan about how we lack ambition and don’t compete.

Sometimes you take a punt on a free transfer and it turns out to be great business. Other times you scout and player to the point you are happy to spend £1m but it doesn’t work out. The fee you pay doesn’t guarantee success. There is lots that will go into how a player settles in at a new club which will impact their success on the pitch.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

TM always seemed like a really nice guy with honest endeavour- he just wasn't good enough.

He had (limited) chances - but every time he got some game time he looked something of a liability & seemed to regularly cost us goals.

Seemed like quite an exciting signing at the time - but as his career, so far, has panned out, it only seems to back up the conclusion that he's just not really good enough.

Not sure he's that bad as to have to resort to signing for Rovers, but can confidently predict he will not have a steady, prolonged spell at championship level.

The biggest question mark over him joining Rovers is his age - surely they'd be waiting another 4 or 5 years before he was on their radar.?!

No doubt he was signed as someone to lead the club for years to come. We will never know how his career would have turned out with us had we not signed an over the hill Ashley Williams, who for all his good games was as much of a liability as anyone. Just because he didn’t kick on after us doesn’t guarantee he would have been a failure here. Maybe the way it went with us knocked everything out of him.  Look at the way things panned out for Caulker who looked to have the world at his feet at one stage.

Moore took a while to get going, but the way I remember it he has made a decent start to the 19/20 season. And the was given a bit part to play before his loan move.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

Looks like the blue Teds veteran team is growing :laugh:

I understand the former players association will be holding some events at the minimal next season.

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

I had a lovely kebab on the Gloucester Road today (after watching 'shire getting hammered in the T20 😁)              so at least the new owner is getting something right 

Edited by myol'man
  • Haha 4

Looking forward to the picture where he's trying to maintain his dignity whilst desperately trying to avoid scratching himself wearing that cheap itchy blue tat whilst wondering why there's a white garden patio chair in the background.

Don't forget the first interview, "So Taylor, why the gas, is it the large fanbase, we took 50,000 to Wemberly. Is it because we're a big club?"

"No; I just love kebabs and tents . . Oh, and I'm desperate, the phone stopped ringing."

18 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

No doubt he was signed as someone to lead the club for years to come. We will never know how his career would have turned out with us had we not signed an over the hill Ashley Williams, who for all his good games was as much of a liability as anyone. Just because he didn’t kick on after us doesn’t guarantee he would have been a failure here. Maybe the way it went with us knocked everything out of him.  Look at the way things panned out for Caulker who looked to have the world at his feet at one stage.

Moore took a while to get going, but the way I remember it he has made a decent start to the 19/20 season. And the was given a bit part to play before his loan move.

Ironically, if my memory serves me correctly, Moore's best run of games and form for us actually came playing with Williams...

No matter which way it's looked at and who's at fault, was an incredibly poor signing by us in terms of value for money. I think when he signed for us he had only made a handful of appearances for Lens so nothing to suggest he'd ever deliver on the amount we spent on him. Indicative of the way the club was ran at the time sadly and because players like Moore weren't delivering we had to sign Williams in the first place (whilst he seems to be looked at negatively was actually a very good signing and what we needed at the time!)

Give me a Tanner style signing any day of the week, not all of them are going to make it but I'd rather we spend 1/5 of the price and with a young player it's not always about how much you spend, there's bargains everywhere we just need to be shrewd (and lucky) to find them.

Moore has found his level now though, he's got a good reputation in League One and think that'll be a good signing for them providing he starts well otherwise he gets 'Agent Moore' treatment...

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Ironically, if my memory serves me correctly, Moore's best run of games and form for us actually came playing with Williams...

No matter which way it's looked at and who's at fault, was an incredibly poor signing by us in terms of value for money. I think when he signed for us he had only made a handful of appearances for Lens so nothing to suggest he'd ever deliver on the amount we spent on him. Indicative of the way the club was ran at the time sadly and because players like Moore weren't delivering we had to sign Williams in the first place (whilst he seems to be looked at negatively was actually a very good signing and what we needed at the time!)

Give me a Tanner style signing any day of the week, not all of them are going to make it but I'd rather we spend 1/5 of the price and with a young player it's not always about how much you spend, there's bargains everywhere we just need to be shrewd (and lucky) to find them.

Moore has found his level now though, he's got a good reputation in League One and think that'll be a good signing for them providing he starts well otherwise he gets 'Agent Moore' treatment...

I think TM's were mostly mental, lots of talk of seeing psychologists etc, that must be one of the hardest things to spot in a young player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I gather he thumped a supporter in France so was sacked.

Imagine how he'll react after a bad performance while leaving the field to a chorus of '5hithead' abuse from the dwindlers? :boxing:

so long as its only the fans he whacks,i dont mind how he reacts

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I gather he thumped a supporter in France so was sacked.

Imagine how he'll react after a bad performance while leaving the field to a chorus of '5hithead' abuse from the dwindlers? :boxing:

'Allegedly' for the avoidance of doubt. Maybe somebody forgot he was bilingual.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Neigh, neigh and thrice neigh. 🐴

Frankie Howard would be applauded at any association with those cretins😀

Edited by Rob
Mistype
  • Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, bert tann said:

I’m told that so far five people have signed up for the Bottomless Euros event.

Hilarious if true, but I'm so used to your usual posting style about the fewers that I have no idea if that is serious or not!