IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Rovers and Cardiff aside says it all about the league cup in what ever guise it currently masquerades in. Apart from the LJ run the comp is dead. Was in attendance tonight, excited about my first game of the season, get to my seat and realise the apathy. Been like this for years , role on Saturday!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, normanhillred said:

Rovers and Cardiff aside says it all about the league cup in what ever guise it currently masquerades in. Apart from the LJ run the comp is dead. Was in attendance tonight, excited about my first game of the season, get to my seat and realise the apathy. Been like this for years , role on Saturday!

I agree, it's position in the season often makes it seem like another preseason friendly game, one where managers can try out players who didn't feature in the "real game" the previous weekend. 

I was at a family funeral yesterday, but I doubt I would have attended anyway, if it's a lower league team there is at least a bit of novelty interest, but when we will be playing teams in a couple of weeks anyway.....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Seems poor for a club that gets to play at Championship grounds once in a blue moon, especially as it is the second nearest one to them.

Championship grounds are too good for them. They probably took minimal numbers so that they don't get disillusioned with their smattering of tents when they are next at home. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, petehinton said:

Absolutely god awful following. Brand new ground, local derby, an hours drive, a side above them. 

Thats ******* terrible. I’d genuinely assumed they’d just take as many as we do. 

Deary me

Not a new ground, we have played them there before.

22 hours ago, JBFC II said:

1200 according to their forum

Absolutely huge numbers

Are you sure, I thought I heard Radio Bristol say he thought there were more gAss than Cardiff .

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

All joking aside I would of thought you would of took more than you did didn’t you?

No not really, it was about what I thought we would take.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

From a quick google, yeah you played them before….In 2009…. 🤣🤣

I know, I was there.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

No not really, it was about what I thought we would take.

I know, I was there.

Chesterfield took 3,000 to Derby last night, same sort of distance, 1,200 is poor for such a massive club

Another unwelcome milestone has been reached today after City announced season ticket sales of 14000.

With Rovers sales languishing at 3500 this is the first time that one Bristol club has outsold the other by a multiple of four since 1954 when I persuaded Marjorie to artificially inflate her figure.

On a happier note Mr Gorringe’s leaving party will be held on Saturday afternoon in the South Stand concourse. Music is to be provided by The Smiths and after he is presented as a memorable git there will be a warren buffet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Is Newport where they are moving to whilst redeveloping the swamp ?

I was told today that they are planning to move to Newport next season. It is unsubstantiated but a good story as, if it happens, they might not come back 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I was told today that they are planning to move to Newport next season. It is unsubstantiated but a good story as, if it happens, they might not come back 

I think it’s time that the Severn Bridge tolls are reinstated. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Oh please let this be true. To add yet another nickname to them & actually call all my gas mate taff will make me so happy & also wind them right up beyond words 😂😂😂😂 

‘The Rodney’s’ or ‘Rodney’s Rent Boys’ …  one of the original Tote Enders is staying with me this weekend (a care in the community task) I’ll try it out on him.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedRock said:

‘The Rodney’s’ or ‘Rodney’s Rent Boys’ …  one of the original Tote Enders is staying with me this weekend (a care in the community task) I’ll try it out on him.  

Just a casual welcome when you see him . Alright taff how’s it going ? 😂

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Looking fwd to their "this shithead knows nothing" comments again before they eventually accept reality! 

Yes, I remember them all rushing to say that you were talking bollocks after you revealed that Sainsbury’s had pulled out of the deal to buy the Mem.

Apparently you were ‘jealous’ and making things up 🤣

Then…

IMG_0705.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And Cheltenham turned them down, fantastic....

Someone please update me on the Gaschat reaction. 

They may want to bear in mind I have been right, not only that, but first to break stories on their stadium developments for the past 15 years. 

Looking fwd to their "this shithead knows nothing" comments again before they eventually accept reality! 

DELICIOUS 😋 

As far as I can see zero mention on there forum currently....

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They may want to bear in mind I have been right, not only that, but first to break stories on their stadium developments for the past 15 years. 

DELICIOUS 😋 

Would that be anything to do with the reneged deal from a few years ago where Rovers got as far as asking fans to pick their seat at Whaddon Road before pulling out?

Re Rodney Parade. As I understand it Dragons play there as well as County. I don’t know if it’s Desso but if not that pitch could be a hellhole.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Would that be anything to do with the reneged deal from a few years ago where Rovers got as far as asking fans to pick their seat at Whaddon Road before pulling out?

Re Rodney Parade. As I understand it Dragons play there as well as County. I don’t know if it’s Desso but if not that pitch could be a hellhole.

Rovers will feel right at home then!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

By logical progression when / if they go to Rodney Parade they could be called The Rodneys. But as Del Boy, In Only Fools and Horses, called Rodney a plonker it would only be fair to call them The Plonkers

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

DELICIOUS 😋 

Some of them seem to know something, but they've suggested it's a rumour, my local is a bit of a Gas-pub (albeit mostly on a match day), but there was some talk last night of Newport being a likely destination during a rebuild.

There was also talk that once that move is in place, there is likely to be a bit of a re-set within the club with the club moving out of the Mem entirely and using temporary offices at the training ground so the entire stadium would be shut down. One or two speculated that 'unexpected problems' will mean that the planning permission changes from recreational to residential and that they'll never get back to Bristol, but equally someone else did say that they current owners are committed to the club and are prepared to underwrite the cost of both the build, the increased losses whilst the build takes place and that on their return, they'll be looking to invest in the club but with an infrastructure in place that will allow them to take advantage of any success.

All that said, it was based entirely on 'what people had heard' - rather than 'I was specifically told by 'x' that this is happening'.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The rumour going around last month was that it was going to be Swindon, which although further away, makes more sense because it is only used by one team, as opposed to Newport.

As has been said already I’m struggling to understand why they need to move at all, presumably the proposed work is on the side where they have that large stand that doesn’t run down the whole side?

Couldn’t they do what we did & have a three sided ground? Their crowds don’t exactly mean demand will exceed supply.

BTW it is Desso, but Newport rugby also has a contract to play 2 games a season there, sounds like carnage to me, 4 sides games to fit in.

Edited by GrahamC

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The rumour going around last month was that it was going to be Swindon, which although further away, makes more sense because it is only used by one team, as opposed to Newport.

As has been said already I’m struggling to understand why they need to move at all, presumably the proposed work is on the side where they have that large stand that doesn’t run down the whole side?

Couldn’t they do what we did & have a three sided ground? Their crowds don’t exactly mean demand will exceed supply.

Further part of the speculation in the pub last night was that to get the build done as quickly as possible, the contractors will need access to the pitch and it will knock a signification amount of time off the build if they aren't trying to work in a stadium that is in use. 

Again. Speculation. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Further part of the speculation in the pub last night was that to get the build done as quickly as possible

Surely that’s a given for any redevelopment. I suspect in the sags case that translates to a very basic, cheap as chips stand, cutting corners and value engineering to an inch of it’s life 

7 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Surely that’s a given for any redevelopment. I suspect in the sags case that translates to a very basic, cheap as chips stand, cutting corners and value engineering to an inch of it’s life 

Liverpool managed to keep a stand open whilst they built a new stand behind it to ensure that they had minimal disruption and never dropped capacity, but I don't imagine that was the cheapest way of building. Guess someone somewhere has crunched some numbers and come up with a scheme that works.

Just hope that if they do go to Newport, Bristol Sport increase marketing activity and take advantage of a season without the Fewers in and around Gloucester Road. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

BTW it is Desso, but Newport rugby also has a contract to play 2 games a season there, sounds like carnage to me, 4 sides games to fit in.

The answer to fixture congestion would seem obvious, just play all the games at exactly the same time. Cut down on overheads, better entertainment.

As regards why they need to close the Mem during the works, I would assume that all the labour will be on a volunteer basis, retired trades 'keeping their hand in' as per the appeals they sent out last year.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

DELICIOUS 😋 

Here come the replies… 🤣

IMG_9094.jpeg

IMG_9092.jpeg

IMG_9093.jpeg

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’m really hoping that KITR has got it wrong and they’re off to Newport IOW.

Newport Rhode Island would be even better.

I have been there on a weekend and it is full of preppy, Ivy League college types who I am sure would find the prospect of 1000's of unwashed Gasheads unpalatable. 

It's a lovely little village and I wouldn't wish a move like that one them. :)

6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`ll be interesting to see what the local Welshies make of the g*s knuckle draggers mooching about their town every other Saturday

No way of finding out. They hardly go to the Mem, they’re not going to go to Newport!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The most sensible move for them would be back to twerton, and they wouldn't even fill that

Can't imagine Trumpton is anywhere near fit for league football anymore

• Like 1