IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

He was round my way yesterday morning too Dave. Kid down the road thought it was an ice cream man. 

Now that made me laugh.

Dunno if urban myth or not but someone I know allegedly says to their kids that when the ice cream van music is on, it means no ice cream!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Some of them seem to know something, but they've suggested it's a rumour, my local is a bit of a Gas-pub (albeit mostly on a match day), but there was some talk last night of Newport being a likely destination during a rebuild.

There was also talk that once that move is in place, there is likely to be a bit of a re-set within the club with the club moving out of the Mem entirely and using temporary offices at the training ground so the entire stadium would be shut down. One or two speculated that 'unexpected problems' will mean that the planning permission changes from recreational to residential and that they'll never get back to Bristol, but equally someone else did say that they current owners are committed to the club and are prepared to underwrite the cost of both the build, the increased losses whilst the build takes place and that on their return, they'll be looking to invest in the club but with an infrastructure in place that will allow them to take advantage of any success.

All that said, it was based entirely on 'what people had heard' - rather than 'I was specifically told by 'x' that this is happening'.

As much as I would hate to see this happen to any football league club, because it's them I would laugh so much I'd probably give myself a hernia.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’m really hoping that KITR has got it wrong and they’re off to Newport IOW.

Newport Rhode Island would be even better.

I don't!! - I live within about 200-300m of the Ferry terminal in Southampton. 

Though i guess the silver lining would be they hardly turn up for home games in Bristol as it is, so home games on the IoW might attract a couple of car loads max.

1 hour ago, cityal said:

I don't!! - I live within about 200-300m of the Ferry terminal in Southampton. 

Though i guess the silver lining would be they hardly turn up for home games in Bristol as it is, so home games on the IoW might attract a couple of car loads max.

Ahh yes….but if they move to Newport (SW, RI or IOW) EVERY game will be an away game.

…and you know what that means? Huge numbers, thousands locked out.

Its ‘what they do’ 🤣

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Ahh yes….but if they move to Newport (SW, RI or IOW) EVERY game will be an away game.

…and you know what that means? Huge numbers, thousands locked out.

Its ‘what they do’ 🤣

There is a Newport in Scotland. Move there and the attendance might dwarf hat of say, Clyde or Stranraer.

22 hours ago, White Stripe said:

As much as I would hate to see this happen to any football league club, because it's them I would laugh so much I'd probably give myself a hernia.

You can have mine if you want?

8 minutes ago, BetterRedthanBlue said:

Yeah but the premier league started today and a leaf was blocking the road for hundreds of them!

611 apparently, if only Liverpool v Ipswich wasn't on the Tele!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

TBH I would never slag off people going away. It's a long trip and fair play to anyone that makes the effort .... But 

If you constantly bang on about how good/big your away support is then you need to back it up with numbers. 
I don't see us crowing about it but they seem amazed at what they take away . 

600 is a decent away following for a side that was non League just a few short years ago . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 22A said:

When the final score came through, they probably blamed City for ruining their weekend after the joy of a 0-0 at Rotherham .

Surely the belter with the Owers comment must have been listening to our game and not the Sags!

• Like 2

From an RUFC supporting pal of mine:

rovers were shite. we hit the post twice, bar once and their keeper saved them. we've a whole new team. I think if we'd played them in a few more weeks' time, then it would have been a proper bumming.

I’m told our ladies team had a very respectable attendance of 3170 at the Mem today for their opening match against Bournemouth.

A pity The Cherries just managed to edge the game.

Edited by bert tann

2 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

Stockport have a bit of money behind them at the moment

Not quite Disney FC levels of money, but a decent budget.

I remember a pretty lively game at Stockport once

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bert tann said:

CORRECTION to my post above.

The attendance at yesterday’s historic first game at the Mem for the Bristol Rovers ladies team was 317 not 3170.

The secret of great comedy Bert. Timing.

:)

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, bert tann said:

The attendance at yesterday’s historic first game at the Mem for the Bristol Rovers ladies team was 317 not 3170.

How many in the car park Bert?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bert tann said:

4 minutes ago, 42nite said:

How many in the car park Bert?

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, southside said:

1984?

84 sounds right, a week after a fruity encounter at Reading. 

Locals were enthusiastic and had to be fought off with pool cues and balls.

Not a great view from the ‘Bear pit’, but that was resolved after an altercation in the stand, which allowed us to relocate 😉

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Maybe but thought it was a bit later than that sort of 87 or 88 but you may be right, don't think Man City had a game that day !!!! 

Definitely 84, yeah, some Man City turned up

Hundreds at the minimal this evening for their efl trophy game v spurs u21s.

Watching on sky sports plus until spurs score. Or as long as I can stand it.

Ed: the ragtags just scored. That's me out.

Edited by Sleepy1968

On 18/08/2024 at 21:25, The Gasbuster said:

The 15ers are at Stockport on Saturday (who have had an excellent start to life back in L1).

For those with memories; Before that; it's the Mickey Mouse cup home to Spurs.