IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

"Electric atmosphere & incredible away support at EVERY fixture" 😂😂😂

The only time a “game” of theirs has featured an “electric atmosphere” was when lightning struck at Wycombe, and that got called off 😂 !!

Anyone know what they were singing or chanted to warrant a club statement on the issue?

Could be anything as everything seems to be considered sexist, racist or homophobic these days. I'm even surprised that we haven't had to rename Whiteladies Road and Blackboy Hill to keep certain groups happy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 7

12 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Anyone know what they were singing or chanted to warrant a club statement on the issue?

Could be anything as everything seems to be considered sexist, racist or homophobic these days. I'm even surprised that we haven't had to rename Whiteladies Road and Blackboy Hill to keep certain groups happy.

It was a song sung on repeat about their striker “Promise” having a massive c0ck.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Anyone who saw the recent excellent tv documentary about Linford Christie will understand how offensive and traumatic such comments can be.  And undoubtedly racist.

Some brains are too smooth to understand the subtle nuances of racism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The renaming of Whiteladies Road and Blackboy Hill has been a live topic off and on certainly since I lived just off Whiteladies Road in the early 80s.  The issue was the possible link to slavery.  I believe that the link may have been disproved, but had it been established then perhaps there would have been a case for renaming them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Blimey - and that requires a club statement?

I'm sure most of us have heard far worse.

Over the years I’ve heard plenty of ignorant shit at Ashton Gate, so I’m not going to pretend that we don’t have our moments, but the song is basically about their new striker having a massive penis which he swings around his head and murders women with.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Robin 1

15 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Over the years I’ve heard plenty of ignorant shit at Ashton Gate, so I’m not going to pretend that we don’t have our moments, but the song is basically about their new striker having a massive penis which he swings around his head and murders women with.

Who, Chris Martin ?  :shocking:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

They will be banning "Come On You Reds" soon for being colour-ist, unless we add the rider ........other colours are available !

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 7

18 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

As much as I quite like Miah and his posts, it is fairly obvious he only comes on here when they are doing (reasonably well) and/or we get dicked !  Here's hoping don't hear from him the rest of the season .

Do I ? Show me the stats :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Blimey - and that requires a club statement?

I'm sure most of us have heard far worse.

Pretty sure Leeds sing it every game about Willy Gnonto

Ah, the classic gammon: 'It's meant as a compliment, so how can judging someone based on their skin color be offensive?' This mindset overlooks the fact that discrimination, even when disguised as praise, is still discrimination.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, Unan said:

Ah, the classic gammon: 'It's meant as a compliment, so how can judging someone based on their skin color be offensive?' This mindset overlooks the fact that discrimination, even when disguised as praise, is still discrimination.

Fair play to rovers for calling it out if it is this chant, would be easy not too

the less said about some of the comments on this topic you are referring to the better

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Like 1

On 02/09/2024 at 20:01, Shuffle said:

I got a neighbour like that ! Bloke only shows his face to me once they’ve won and we lost but bizarrely avoids me or football chat in the reverse scenario.  As you get older aren’t you suppose to mellow towards them as my dislike seems to be growing every day.

Me too - thought I couldn’t hate them any more than the days of white penrice Holloway Alexander etc when tbh they were the dominant force in Bristol football ( fxxk me that hurt saying that ) but now at the merry old age of 60 

I HATE THEM EVEN MORE 👊

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Unan said:

The classic what?

• Like 7

On 22/08/2024 at 19:55, 2015 said:

Only had one good striker in the last 15 years

Football didn't start 15 years ago and some of us can remember many really good strikers they had (even if we ridiculed them at the time)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

11 years today 

1 hour ago, Red Homer said:

11 years today

I was just wondering what their next notable anniversary, landmark might be.

A look at attendances (we all know how proud they are of their attandances) shows that come the end of next season, they are in danger of it being 50 (FIFTY) years (HALF A CENTURY) since their seasonal average attendance was over 10k

1976 apparently was the last time.

In fairness though, in 6 (SIX) seasons since the turn of the Millenium, their highest gaye of the season would have been (just) too many to fit into the Lansdown Stand - not by much - adding on the wheelchair & carers enclosures would probably have accommodated everyone at those matches, without needing the inconvenience of opening up any other area of the ground. 

The sooner they get their 15k capacity stadium the better, otherwise I'm just not sure how they are going to cope..!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

They used to chant bruno for devon white, not seeing the lookalikeness there, and carl saunders, billy ocean again not a dead ringer,

I played against Saunders, and when the going gets tough the tough get going or in Carl’s case you boot our keeper in the head!!!  Back in the days of 3 subs and no keeper on the bench, I was a little bit disturbed to see our sub CF don the keeper’s jersey and gloves.  I needn’t have worried, my new teammate was the son of ex-Northampton keeper Kim Book and brother of ex-Cheltenham keeper Steve Book.  He had a stormer.

Any of you oldies might remember Kim Book for this match…although you’ll probably be remembering George Best!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Matty Taylor, Jason Roberts, Barry Hayles, Alfie Biggs, Rickie Lambert, Marcus Stewart (three of whom turned out for us).

Bobby Jones could be added to that list.

On 02/09/2024 at 19:15, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

“as well as an incredible following to every away fixture contested by Matt Taylor’s side”

They just can’t help themselves can they? 🤣

I think the highlighted bit is key.  They play plenty of away games, but few of them can be considered contested.

On 03/09/2024 at 10:46, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The renaming of Whiteladies Road and Blackboy Hill has been a live topic off and on certainly since I lived just off Whiteladies Road in the early 80s.  The issue was the possible link to slavery.  I believe that the link may have been disproved, but had it been established then perhaps there would have been a case for renaming them.

Both names, especially Black Boy Hill understood to be derived from local pubs.  The Black Boy Inn was named after King Charles II, who had the nickname Black Boy because of his hair colour.

On 03/09/2024 at 12:09, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

This makes it 10 times worse!  The stereotype that black men have massive cocks is actually a simplified version of the origin, which basically paints it in a very negative light as suggestion was that black men would rape and murder white women.  Rather than a compliment the massive cock was used to symbolise brutality.  So they've gone proper deep cut to sing a song based on the origin story! 

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, One Team said:

As good as this is it’s also sad in some respects there is now a whole new generation who’ve never witnessed a Bristol derby. 

The problem is one team that the new generations don’t really view rovers as a rival, as there isn’t actually any rivalry. 

It’s just turned into a stoke and port vale situation, there just isn’t anything there. 

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

The problem is one team that the new generations don’t really view rovers as a rival, as there isn’t actually any rivalry. 

It’s just turned into a stoke and port vale situation, there just isn’t anything there. 

I think this would well and truly be put to the test if we were to draw them in the cup.

Not much hope I know...but still a chance.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

49 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Agree, 24 years soon isn’t it? That’s massive, how long do we think it will last?

5 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Agree, 24 years soon isn’t it? That’s massive, how long do we think it will last?

You think to go 24 years and in that time only having the odd few cup games doesn’t make a rivalry.

You’ll have dads going “I ******* hate rovers” etc but younger lads just don’t have that, as they can’t as there isn’t anything there for them to dislike bar being a club up the road. 

I imagine most under 25 would say Cardiff or Swansea are bigger rivals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

For a lot of our youth this is true but not so much for the Gas. My son is 16 and has never seen a Bristol Derby, he has little interest in Rovers, if I asked him how they got on last Saturday he wouldn’t know. Some of my nephews are Gas…complete opposite.

15 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

For a lot of our youth this is true but not so much for the Gas. My son is 16 and has never seen a Bristol Derby, he has little interest in Rovers, if I asked him how they got on last Saturday he wouldn’t know. 

Most gash wouldn't know how they got on , either !

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

The classic what?

Taken from urban dictionary

Gammon: "British slang, stereotype of a right-wing person who is seemingly always sunburned. The kind of person who thinks that 'flour' is a spice, that there's too many Spaniards in Spain, and that they ''Don't want any of that foreign muck'' when abroad instead only eating chips and Sausages"

Edited by broodje
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, alexukhc said:

11 years today 

I was sixteen years old and in the Williams that night. Had never seen anything like it, and obviously haven't since! My brother drove us back up the Portway listening to Sean O'Driscoll mumble about how Rovers played well...

• Robin 1

18 hours ago, One Team said:

As good as this is it’s also sad in some respects there is now a whole new generation who’ve never witnessed a Bristol derby. 

For the first round of the Tinpot Trophy back in the day, attendances were all quite similar!

South-West
3 September 2013 Exeter City 0–2 Wycombe Wanderers hideSt James Park, Exeter
19:15       Attendance: 1,654
Referee: Steve Bratt
3 September 2013 Cheltenham Town 3–3
(4–5 p)
Plymouth Argyle hideAbbey Business Stadium, Cheltenham
        Attendance: 1,236
Referee: Mark Heywood

3 September 2013 Torquay United 0–0
(3–5 p)
Portsmouth hidePlainmoor, Torquay
19:45   Report   Attendance: 1,951
Referee: Keith Hill

4 September 2013 Bristol City 2–1 Bristol Rovers hideAshton Gate, Bristol
19:45 Emmanuel-Thomas 13px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png 12'
Bryan 13px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png 76'
Report McChrystal 13px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png 59' Attendance: 17,888
Referee: Simon Hooper
  • Haha 1

On 03/09/2024 at 20:06, Unan said:

Calling a section of white society "Gammon' is offensive but clearly ok by you and others like you.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Warboys, Bannister

Yes, I well remember Smash and Grab.

I also remember Alfie Biggs, and actually got his autograph after a Gloucestershire Cup Final.

I don’t know if you can remember the old Eastville Stadium, but I waited outside the stand, wearing my City scarf, and he came out puffing on a cigarette!

He was really friendly, though, made some sarcastic comments about City, but was more than happy to sign his name and a short message on the photo I presented him - probably from Shoot or some similar magazine.

Unfortunately, I never got to see Geoff Bradford play - I was aware of him, but I was considered too young to actually go and watch him play live.

On 04/09/2024 at 09:00, Davefevs said:

I played against Saunders, and when the going gets tough the tough get going or in Carl’s case you boot our keeper in the head!!!  Back in the days of 3 subs and no keeper on the bench, I was a little bit disturbed to see our sub CF don the keeper’s jersey and gloves.  I needn’t have worried, my new teammate was the son of ex-Northampton keeper Kim Book and brother of ex-Cheltenham keeper Steve Book.  He had a stormer.

Any of you oldies might remember Kim Book for this match…although you’ll probably be remembering George Best!

I was at that game.It was at the old Northampton ground that only had three sides.The other side led onto the cricket ground.

I was on the halfway line opposite the camera.

Great memories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyC said:

I was at that game.It was at the old Northampton ground that only had three sides.The other side led onto the cricket ground.

I was on the halfway line opposite the camera.

Great memories.

Watching Zummerzet tonight they talked about it being the old football ground.

On 05/09/2024 at 05:38, Oh Louie louie said:

In all honesty they did find some good strikers in the 80s and 90s, not that they ever saw a penny, some of the stories dunford came out with when they got a few quid why he wouldn't be spending any was always worth it!

They'd buy a couple of new milk floats...