IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

22 minutes ago, Ashton Yate said:

New rules following Brexit mean he can only expect an employment period of 90 days.

Which, for a Fewer looks like a longterm career move.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

What's the betting that some of those people in shot were outraged about Nike 'disrespecting the flag' a few moths ago?

Think if Nike (or whoever produces rip-off England shirts nowadays) had posted a slogan like that on the flag of every shirt the same people who were not offended by the multi-coloured flag would’ve gone into total, utter meltdown.  

For me, at least, very different an individual doing something ‘humorous’ like that to a massive corporate machine steered by a woke design agency and FA ‘advertising’ their beliefs on every England shirt buyer. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Think if Nike (or whoever produces rip-off England shirts nowadays) had posted a slogan like that on the flag of every shirt the same people who were not offended by the multi-coloured flag would’ve gone into total, utter meltdown.  

For me, at least, very different an individual doing something ‘humorous’ like that to a massive corporate machine steered by a woke design agency and FA ‘advertising’ their beliefs on every England shirt buyer. 

The biggest disrespect to the flag I see is that “BATH G*S” sacrilege smeared across it at England away games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedRock said:

I don't think anyone would have noticed- or cared- about the Nike thing until the Daily Mail decided to make a thing about it, much in the same way singing the national anthem wasn't a big deal years ago.

The one thing I do find disrespectful is booing of national anthems, something that seems to be de rigueur now. I generally don't sing ours because I'm an atheist republican, but if I was in the England line up yesterday, the moment the boos started I'd have been giving it laldy!

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

34 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I don't think anyone would have noticed- or cared- about the Nike thing until the Daily Mail decided to make a thing about it, much in the same way singing the national anthem wasn't a big deal years ago.

The one thing I do find disrespectful is booing of national anthems, something that seems to be de rigueur now. I generally don't sing ours because I'm an atheist republican, but if I was in the England line up yesterday, the moment the boos started I'd have been giving it laldy!

I disagree, changing the colour of the flag is going to piss people off, and rightly so. If Nike had done that here with the American flag I think they’d’ve been run out of Oregon and into the Pacific.

I broadly agree about booing anthems, although I have to admit the old “eye for an eye” thing means I’ll boo Flower of Scotland.

I do wish we would dispense with that appalling dirge GSTK though, Jerusalem is sang for England at the Commonwealths and is a much better song.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I agree, it's high time we had an anthem that reflected the diverse views of this country. We can be proud to be British without all that other mumbo jumbo. 

It's also ridiculous that a modern, inclusive anthem should still include the verse.

"Lord grant that Marshall Wade, may by thy mighty aid, victory bring. May he sedition hush, and like a torrent rush, rebellious Scots to crush. God save the King!"

For anyone wondering, Marshall Wade led the British troops against Jacobite Rebellions in 1715, and 1745. But what's 300 years between friends. :)

It may not be sung anymore, but it's never been rescinded.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 08/09/2024 at 21:29, Miah Dennehy said:

It's interesting how people have hard moral grounds on some issues & not others.

It is, of course, your right to opt out of singing our national anthem based on your principles.

It just seems odd to then support a club like Bristol Rovers - unless of course you are in staunch support of animal abusers, wife beaters, racists & generally having a small minded chip on your shoulder.

In fact, thinking about it now, it really raises questions over someone's state of mind when they decide that Bristol Rovers Football Club are a good fit for them...!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It just seems odd to then support a club like Bristol Rovers - unless of course you are in staunch support of animal abusers, wife beaters, racists & generally having a small minded chip on your shoulder.

In fact, thinking about it now, it really raises questions over someone's state of mind when they decide that Bristol Rovers Football Club are a good fit for them...!

Then spend so much time on their much despised rivals forum!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, The 'Bourne said:

"Crush" means hunt down and kill without trial. Read up on the aftermath of Cullodon.

I would assume it goes without saying that I'm not legitimately calling for the murder of all Welsh people, but take this as confirmation for anyone else who might somehow have been unsure :laugh:

• Hmmm 1

Crystal by name, crystal by nature.

Though they do have some surprising kits.

FOOTIE SHAME Ex-Crystal Palace star banned from football for life for match fixing admits supplying crystal meth

The class A drugs were worth up to £1.5million on the streets, Croydon crown court was told

FORMER pro footballer banned for life for match fixing has admitted supplying crystal meth.

Michael Boateng, 33, once a youth player at Crystal Palace, was arrested when 19.6kg of the drug was found at his flat.

michael-boateng-879907599.jpg?w=960

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/30365854/ex-crystal-palace-star-admits-supplying-crystal-meth/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

That scrote who made many derogatory comments about us over the years, some may remember his comments on junior bent, that made my day when he was exposed as a drug smuggler

The bloke is only 33, why on earth would he have been making comments about Junior Bent? He was still in primary school when he was playing for us.

I don't remember him at all, let alone celebrating because he was a drug smuggler.

20 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

The bloke is only 33, why on earth would he have been making comments about Junior Bent? He was still in primary school when he was playing for us.

I don't remember him at all, let alone celebrating because he was a drug smuggler.

Of course not because I'm talking about a completely different person, if you don't recall him, then well, I clearly wasn't talking about him

21 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I think he’s on about Keith Valle. Recall the homophobic comment about Junior Bent, don’t recall him being a drug smuggler.

Although you’re forgiven for not making the connection as it was a bit random!

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Mangan in the news today - work permit to work for Real Madrid refused apparently 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/czxlv9ndvkdo

Shame for him.

On the other hand, Real Madrid have dodged one there as no doubt he would've carried on the good work of turning the barcelona of league 1 into the barcelona of La Liga. 

On 10/09/2024 at 08:25, The 'Bourne said:

"Crush" means hunt down and kill without trial. 

That can only be your interpretation, I can't find any definition of 'crush' that means, or implies, what you say.

violently subdue (opposition or a rebellion).
"the king crushed the rebellion"

Similar:
suppress

put down

quell

quash

squash

stamp out

put an end to

put a stop to

overcome

overpower

defeat

extinguish

vanquish

triumph over
break

bring someone to their knees

repress

subdue

On 10/09/2024 at 09:26, Bar BS3 said:

It's interesting how people have hard moral grounds on some issues & not others.

It is, of course, your right to opt out of singing our national anthem based on your principles.

Miah takes his name from an Irish footballer and iirc regularly travels to support Celtic.

No great surprise then if he doesn't have a huge enthusiasm to sing our National Anthem.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Sadly this may be the end of MT, and I think we’d all agree he’s doing an outstanding job.

I take a slightly more positive view. If this is the end of Taylor, then there is a reasonable chance that the end for Manning may be very close. The last few managerial changes at both clubs are very close together. But, yes, he (Taylor)’s doing a fantastic job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Gotta admit, on a day when we have been totally inept it seems wrong taking the piss out of that shower. We are a league higher equivalent atm……ie ******* ****.

Nope: that’s the one thing keeping me going, that they are the worst team in Bristol. That’s some achievement…

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Blimey, we think we've got it bad.  Imagine losing 0-4 at home to bloody Wigan.

Whenever things get bad for us, we can console ourselves with the fact that the Sags have it worse (including non-league football  and a ground fit for it😀).

I remember circa 1970 we lost at home 4-0 to Oxford...........er who've we got next week ?

On 14/09/2024 at 19:27, wendyredredrobin said:

Blimey, we think we've got it bad.  Imagine losing 0-4 at home to bloody Wigan.

Whenever things get bad for us, we can console ourselves with the fact that the Sags have it worse (including non-league football  and a ground fit for it😀).

If Manning p*ssed himself pitchside, you'd probably find out that Taylor sh*t himself pitchside at the same time.

• Haha 3

On 15/09/2024 at 15:49, Sweeneys Penalties said:

dont remember that, too early for me (just) but I was there the night Fulham put 5 past us (late 80's)

I seem to remember a certain Ron Atkinson???....remember him? tearing us apart...... I was a teenager then so was probably a bit 'tipsy'. 

But they did us good and proper!

14 hours ago, 42nite said:

I seem to remember a certain Ron Atkinson???....remember him? tearing us apart...... I was a teenager then so was probably a bit 'tipsy'. 

But they did us good and proper!

It wasn't Ron, who was predominantly a defender who did the damage (as I recall) it was his younger brother Graham who tore us a new one .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1