IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

38 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

One of them actually says `But can he do it under the weight of the blue and white quarters?`

They really do have an over inflated sense of their own importance don`t they?

It's the cheap material you see. Old sack cloth, none of this breathable, lightweight stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

One of them actually says `But can he do it under the weight of the blue and white quarters?`

They really do have an over inflated sense of their own importance don`t they?

Living up to the team that achieved the dizzying heights of League cup qualifying runners up is the pinnacle of high pressure sport.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

***Raises head above parapet

I really like Rovers business so far this summer. They’ve taken Senior who got good reviews at Morecambe, got Walsalls best player, Sotoriou is a decent age with experience at the level, Taylor Moore - although not good enough here - has performed well at that level prior as well, and Ellison is a very interesting prospect.

They’ve gone for broadly players with a profile - a good age with upside, like they did with Conteh. I think Matt Taylor is also a decent manager who will be able to get the best out of them.

Unlike prior years, they seem to have a decent plan and it’s not built on sand. Business all done early as well.

I truly hope it all goes wrong for them, but I see them having a fairly decent season.

This is probably the most threatened by their presence stinking out the Atyeo in the league we've been in many a pre season. 

Looking at that league I don't really recall a time when it looked as weak as it does now. Previously there's been a fair few big hitters that would keep them miles away, but not really this year. And as you say, on the face of it they're recruiting well. 

We'll just have to win the league this year to be sure then, won't we?!?

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

***Raises head above parapet

I really like Rovers business so far this summer. They’ve taken Senior who got good reviews at Morecambe, got Walsalls best player, Sotoriou is a decent age with experience at the level, Taylor Moore - although not good enough here - has performed well at that level prior as well, and Ellison is a very interesting prospect.

They’ve gone for broadly players with a profile - a good age with upside, like they did with Conteh. I think Matt Taylor is also a decent manager who will be able to get the best out of them.

Unlike prior years, they seem to have a decent plan and it’s not built on sand. Business all done early as well.

I truly hope it all goes wrong for them, but I see them having a fairly decent season.

Hutchinson is a fine pick up for me. I saw him play live for Walsall against FGR at the lawn last season. Even though he missed a penalty in Walsall's 2-0 loss, he was by and away the best player on the pitch, two footed, Tall and Strong, with a decent turn of pace. 12 goals and 15 assists, even in League 2 is not to be sniffed at. I can see Taylor working a lot of their play through him.

As for the others, well the Orient striker looks a good buy on a free. Jury will be out on all the defenders they've bought in. They were woeful defensively last year, but I'm guessing the signing of Senior means that Luca Hoole is on his way out (not signing that contract offer).

Even with the 7 signed, I make it they have 20 senior players (on the basis of Hoole and Sinclair not signing). A few of those 20 are probably persona non grata with Taylor and will be moved on . Evans certainly will be in the next week or so. They have no development squad or Under 21s to fall back on, so I'm guessing they are still 6-7 players short of actually having a workable squad for next season and that's without anymore departures. Still someway to go yet.

In other news, I was told on Friday that when (If) Rovers start their rebuild of the Memorial ground. They will be looking to groundshare with Swindon for a season. That's come from employees at the ground, who have been briefed on it. Swindon are desperate for cash, so it probably makes sense on their part, but I'm doubtful that large swaths of Gasheads will be trundling along the M4 to watch many league games.

No doubt the new owners are learning fast, quite how expensive it is to run a team in league 1 on such a small turnover (£7.2m for 22-23 season). Their appetite might not last too long and shades of doing a Wigan, come to mind.

Edited by NcnsBcfc
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@NcnsBcfc they paid a fee for Sotiriou.  He was OOC, but they’d offered him a new deal, so being u24, they were entitled compo.  To avoid going to tribunal, Rovers agreed a fee.

Cheers Dave. Still a good pick up for them for I'm guessing a nominal fee. I'm surprised other clubs weren't in for him as well as Hutchinson. It look like Rovers moved quickly on both of them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Off topic I know but that’s from an unbelievable film, “white heat” and “angels with dirty faces” were great Cagney films, no one has ever played such an un-hinged gangster as well as him

Although Joey Barton runs him pretty close.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Anyone else worried that they are coming.... 😂😂😂

Screenshot_20240630_212455_Chrome.jpg

Signing City rejects to try to get Rovers on par with City….🤣

If anything that makes the gap look even bigger.

Sooner or later they’ll fluke their way into the same division as us but it’s truly pathetic how clubs like Crawley, Yeovil and Stevenage have all been able to get above us in the last 10 years, yet it’s 24 years since they’ve managed it. 
It’s not like we’ve been making difficult for them FFS 🤣

Cretins.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Just seen some of them getting excited that they’re signing Dan Bentley are an accidental Instagram follow from their club account. Unreal. 

Alf Saeed is the one getting excited.

After he sells the training ground for housing his first port of call will be the Bentley dealership on Cribbs Causeway.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Hutchinson is a fine pick up for me. I saw him play live for Walsall against FGR at the lawn last season. Even though he missed a penalty in Walsall's 2-0 loss, he was by and away the best player on the pitch, two footed, Tall and Strong, with a decent turn of pace. 12 goals and 15 assists, even in League 2 is not to be sniffed at. I can see Taylor working a lot of their play through him.

As for the others, well the Orient striker looks a good buy on a free. Jury will be out on all the defenders they've bought in. They were woeful defensively last year, but I'm guessing the signing of Senior means that Luca Hoole is on his way out (not signing that contract offer).

Even with the 7 signed, I make it they have 20 senior players (on the basis of Hoole and Sinclair not signing). A few of those 20 are probably persona non grata with Taylor and will be moved on . Evans certainly will be in the next week or so. They have no development squad or Under 21s to fall back on, so I'm guessing they are still 6-7 players short of actually having a workable squad for next season and that's without anymore departures. Still someway to go yet.

In other news, I was told on Friday that when (If) Rovers start their rebuild of the Memorial ground. They will be looking to groundshare with Swindon for a season. That's come from employees at the ground, who have been briefed on it. Swindon are desperate for cash, so it probably makes sense on their part, but I'm doubtful that large swaths of Gasheads will be trundling along the M4 to watch many league games.

No doubt the new owners are learning fast, quite how expensive it is to run a team in league 1 on such a small turnover (£7.2m for 22-23 season). Their appetite might not last too long and shades of doing a Wigan, come to mind.

To be honest their recruitment is desperate and shopping in the bargain basket 

A lot of players to integrate into a team and this could go either way for them 

They could scrape enough points to stay up or plummet back to L2 

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

To be honest their recruitment is desperate and shopping in the bargain basket 

A lot of players to integrate into a team and this could go either way for them 

They could scrape enough points to stay up or plummet back to L2 

Back to L2 would be hilarious!