IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Bristol Post reported Leyton Orient manager Richie Welles stated that Rovers new signing Ruel Sotiriou is now being  paid 40% more than Orient’s highest earner. Rovers seem to be splashing the cash which is ok if it leads to promotion and their new super South Stand results in a big increase in attendance. As Rovers have made a loss on a regular basis, if this doesn’t happen then, obviously, losses will increase. I’m not sure if the new owner is just overly optimistic about how easily success will come or he’s just naive. Wael was optimistic when he was in charge but things didn’t quite go to plan 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leyton-orient-boss-makes-wages-9382398

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Bristol Post reported Leyton Orient manager Richie Welles stated that Rovers new signing Ruel Sotiriou is now being  paid 40% more than Orient’s highest earner. Rovers seem to be splashing the cash which is ok if it leads to promotion and their new super South Stand results in a big increase in attendance. As Rovers have made a loss on a regular basis, if this doesn’t happen then, obviously, losses will increase. I’m not sure if the new owner is just overly optimistic about how easily success will come or he’s just naive. Wael was optimistic when he was in charge but things didn’t quite go to plan 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leyton-orient-boss-makes-wages-9382398

all that tells you is orient either have crap players not worth paying much or they are very tight with the wages.

17 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

all that tells you is orient either have crap players not worth paying much or they are very tight with the wages.

Last season Orient finished 11th (and Rovers 15th.). They were 11 points off a playoff place, which isn’t wonderful but you don’t finish 11th with crap players. I  think it shows they try to live within their means. Even so in the 22/23 season when they were promoted from League 2 to League 1 they made a loss of £3.9m with similar crowds to Rovers 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Last season Orient finished 11th (and Rovers 15th.). They were 11 points off a playoff place, which isn’t wonderful but you don’t finish 11th with crap players. I  think it shows they try to live within their means. Even so in the 22/23 season when they were promoted from League 2 to League 1 they made a loss of £3.9m with similar crowds to Rovers 

Their losses are going down but ours are going up.

We are superior in every respect.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 30/06/2024 at 23:59, Steve Watts said:

This is probably the most threatened by their presence stinking out the Atyeo in the league we've been in many a pre season. 

Looking at that league I don't really recall a time when it looked as weak as it does now. Previously there's been a fair few big hitters that would keep them miles away, but not really this year. And as you say, on the face of it they're recruiting well. 

Well all things being equal, one promotion slot should be already taken (Birmingham).

If their finances are OK and no deductions Reading and Wigan should challenge this season. Rotherham have already made some good signings and will be favourites to bounce straight back again. Bolton should be up there again and Wrexham are the wild card. Wycombe also now have new very rich owners.

On 30/06/2024 at 23:59, Steve Watts said:

This is probably the most threatened by their presence stinking out the Atyeo in the league we've been in many a pre season. 

Looking at that league I don't really recall a time when it looked as weak as it does now. Previously there's been a fair few big hitters that would keep them miles away, but not really this year. And as you say, on the face of it they're recruiting well. 

We'll just have to win the league this year to be sure then, won't we?!?

They are recruiting well but you look at that league. Birmingham will be favourites. Huddersfield have retained good players, Rotherham have recruited well, Lincoln always seem to be there or there abouts, Bolton will be fighting for it, Reading could be dark horses, Peterborough are always in the play offs I swear, Wrexham are a mystery.

Play offs to me would be unlikely for them a top half finish would be good.

4 minutes ago, BetterRedthanBlue said:

They are recruiting well but you look at that league. Birmingham will be favourites. Huddersfield have retained good players, Rotherham have recruited well, Lincoln always seem to be there or there abouts, Bolton will be fighting for it, Reading could be dark horses, Peterborough are always in the play offs I swear, Wrexham are a mystery.

Play offs to me would be unlikely for them a top half finish would be good.

Yeah agree with that. Add in Stockport who I think will kick on again.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Really?

I mean I'm all for Rovers overpaying players but how would Ritchie Wellens know?

Likely a bit of a dig at his own board suggesting he isn't able to offer competitive contracts (Didn't the Dog-Botherer say City were paying x-times what they were) and a degree of competitive licence from the agent of the outgoing player saying 'He'll stay for a 50% uplift, Rovers are offering 40%), and in between those blurred lines, it's likely 20% and a modest, performance based 'loyalty bonus' payable at various intervals (which was once called a signing on fee) that might require goals, appearances, promotion, availability and all manner of other jazz that will ultimately see the player better off, but in real terms won't be the massive difference their former manager claims.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Ah but just wait until the Rovers' owners realise its a weekly wage that they've committed too & not an annual salary..!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Really?

I mean I'm all for Rovers overpaying players but how would Ritchie Wellens know?

It's not exactly rocket science is it

I'm sure the player (his agent) asked his existing club if they could/would match the salary being offered

• Like 2